U.S. President Barack Obama Says 'Same-Sex Marriage Should Be Legal'

News_Editor

GK, you've got it REALLY wrong about N.C.

Here is why.

Most voters didn't even KNOW they were voting against recognition of domestic partners.

That was shown in the the polling.

The issue was sold as a vote against recognition of gay MARRIAGE.

N.C. being a SOUTHERN (read right wing) state was going to vote that way.

Due to the weird structure of the measure, the voters had NO CHOICE to approve domestic partnerships and reject gay marriage.

I believe the national polls showing a small majority support legalization of gay marriage and N.C. does nothing to discount those polls.

They had a similar gay rights referendum in Florida 20 something years ago. The way it was worded, it was something like voting NO to the referendum actually meant you were voting FOR the rights.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, Mr. Romney is speaking tomorrow at Liberty University, the fundamentalist right wing school in appropriately named Lynchburg, VA famous for being founded by one of the most notorious anti-gay bigots in American history, the deceased Jerry Falwell.

Pretty bizarre timing all around on the social issues front lines.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Jingthing

Here is why.

Most voters didn't even KNOW they were voting against recognition of domestic partners.

Due to the weird structure of the measure, the voters had NO CHOICE to approve domestic partnerships and reject gay marriage.

I believe the national polls showing a small majority support legalization of gay marriage and N.C. does nothing to discount those polls.

They had a similar gay rights referendum in Florida 20 something years ago. The way it was worded, it was something like voting NO to the referendum actually meant you were voting FOR the rights.

Doesn't apply to the NC vote in any way.

It's not only that. Consider this in the context of Romney's totally spineless response to the way his gay staffer was bullied by anti-gay bigots recently. As in youth so in age.

*Deleted quote edited out*

No Obama's diet as a small child is irrelevant. He was a good boy. He ate the food cooked by his loving Indonesian cook.

I agree gay civil rights shouldn't be the only issue but it still is a legitimate issue.

Edited by Scott
Deleted quote edited out

JT, just what do you think you will achieve with all the Romney bashing and left-wing, liberal ranting? We understand your interest in gay rights, but you are beginning to sound silly with the OT rant.

Obama is scrambling for votes from any SIG he can as he knows he will be fighting an uphill battle going into the elections in November. This move will cost him votes from grass-roots Americans who possibly voted for change in the last election. This election, we know what his track record is and just what he has and has not been able to accomplish in his 4 years at the helm. Personally, I am expecting BO to be a single-term POTUS and will be put out to pasture on the lecture circuit, write his book, open his library and collect the booty from those that paid to put him into power.

• Like 2

Here is why.

Doesn't apply to the NC vote in any way.

True. No one in NC was confused when they cast their vote.

Interestingly, Mr. Romney is speaking tomorrow at Liberty University, the fundamentalist right wing school in appropriately named Lynchburg, VA famous for being founded by one of the most notorious anti-gay bigots in American history, the deceased Jerry Falwell.

Pretty bizarre timing all around on the social issues front lines.

[media=]

[/media]

They have close to 75,000 students at LU. My farang son went there and then went on to get his law degree at the University of Michigan Law School in Ann Arbor. Both schools served him well in life.

JT, just what do you think you will achieve with all the Romney bashing and left-wing, liberal ranting? We understand your interest in gay rights, but you are beginning to sound silly with the OT rant.

Obama is scrambling for votes from any SIG he can as he knows he will be fighting an uphill battle going into the elections in November. This move will cost him votes from grass-roots Americans who possibly voted for change in the last election. This election, we know what his track record is and just what he has and has not been able to accomplish in his 4 years at the helm. Personally, I am expecting BO to be a single-term POTUS and will be put out to pasture on the lecture circuit, write his book, open his library and collect the booty from those that paid to put him into power.

I'm right wing. I hope I don't have any left wing or right wing friends who will vote for or against Obama based on his most recent stance on gay marriage. If any of them tell me to my face that this is the issue that will decided their vote - NOT the economy, NOT the direction of the country, NOT jobs, NOT the deficit, but whether the gov't should OK gay marriage, I will throw up on them.

This is curious. Obama makes a big splash with his support of Gay Marriage, but at the end of the day...

White House won't push gay marriage into party platform

President Obama declared his personal support for same-sex marriage yesterday, but the White House chose not to push for the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act today.

"Well, party platform issues are for the party to decide," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said when asked if Obama would call for the repeal of DOMA and endorsement of pro-gay marriage language in the party platform. "That process is underway, and I refer you to the DNC on the question about the platform."

http://campaign2012....eal-doma/534831

It might be for the party to decide but doesn't the president have a little influence on his own party? He should remind the DNC that even if he loses in November, he will be their top fundraising draw for the next couple decades. I think if Obama wants it, he gets it.

They have close to 75,000 students at LU. My farang son went there and then went on to get his law degree at the University of Michigan Law School in Ann Arbor. Both schools served him well in life.

Here's a voice to strip LU of accreditation. I'd be ashamed to have that symbol of intolerance on my resume but I suppose that's water under the bridge.

http://blog.chron.com/keepthefaith/2010/02/liberty-university-dehumanizes-homosexuals/

This is curious. Obama makes a big splash with his support of Gay Marriage, but at the end of the day...

President Obama declared his personal support for same-sex marriage yesterday, but the White House chose not to push for the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act today.

"Well, party platform issues are for the party to decide," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said when asked if Obama would call for the repeal of DOMA and endorsement of pro-gay marriage language in the party platform. "That process is underway, and I refer you to the DNC on the question about the platform."

It might be for the party to decide but doesn't the president have a little influence on his own party? He should remind the DNC that even if he loses in November, he will be their top fundraising draw for the next couple decades. I think if Obama wants it, he gets it.

Well yes, historically every major civil rights move endorsed by a president has been expanded further but Obama was simply stating his personal support for gay marriage.

He gets reelected, he potentially gets one or two favorable supreme court picks. One key case win in the supreme court could change the law for the entire country overnight. That's a lot more than personal opinion. That is massive POWER. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Jingthing

I'm sure a gay activist would never be welcome at an anti-gay conference at notorious Liberty University. So that's kind of a catch 22.

So how can and why should the author comment on it?

Because the content is OBVIOUSLY noxious, even without attending.

I'm sure a gay activist would never be welcome at an anti-gay conference at notorious Liberty University. So that's kind of a catch 22.

So how can and why should the author comment on it?

Because the content is OBVIOUSLY noxious, even without attending.

You can't comment with any clarity as you nor the author attended.

Backlash.

This is the first time Romney has reached the 50% level of support and is his largest lead ever over the president.

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Friday shows Mitt Romney earning 50% of the vote and President Obama attracting 43% support.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_pol

Backlash.

This is the first time Romney has reached the 50% level of support and is his largest lead ever over the president.

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Friday shows Mitt Romney earning 50% of the vote and President Obama attracting 43% support.

http://www.rasmussen...al_tracking_pol

Its doubtful reaction to gay-marriage-gate would have shown up as yet in polls.

This article explains how Obama still has a LOT more room to "evolve" on this issue. Gay Americans won't get full equality at the STATE level. North Carolina proved that once again. It must be at the federal level. The best hope for that? Reelect Obama and get some more supreme court picks:

We must embrace that this is a constitutional and not a democratic issue. Equality is not a popularity contest. This is hardly a radical argument. It’s Supreme Court doctrine: Our rights to be treated as equal and full citizens do not evaporate when we cross state lines.

http://www.slate.com...tic_issue_.html

Edited by Jingthing

Backlash.

It is a daily poll and many political experts think that the gay marriage issue is the reason that Romney has gone up and Obama down.

Well yes, historically every major civil rights move endorsed by a president has been expanded further but Obama was simply stating his personal support for gay marriage.

Absolutely correct. All Obama has done is kick the can even further down the road by saying the issue is really one of State's Rights.

He has claimed same sex marriage will NOT be a part of his campaign platform.

WH won't push gay marriage into party platform byJoel Gehrke Commentary Staff Writer

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/wh-wont-call-repeal-doma/534831

Yes, gaining civil rights in America is a painfully SLOW process. The model for the gay civil rights movement in America is the black civil rights movement. Equality will come someday ... at the FEDERAL level, via the supreme court.

Backlash.

It is a daily poll and many political experts think that the gay marriage issue is the reason that Romney has gone up and Obama down.

Nobody is saying what Obama did wasn't a risky political move in an election year. Bottom line, however, is that Obama is the incumbent, he has lots of campaign money, and he is one of the best campaigners in history. I expect a close race and wouldn't be surprised at all if Obama loses the popular vote but wins reelection. I don't like that he has lost hope of winning North Carolina but he can still win without North Carolina.

Also, it really is doubtful that he will win or lose based solely on his recent "evolution" on the gay marriage issue.

Edited by Jingthing

Absolutely correct. All Obama has done is kick the can even further down the road by saying the issue is really one of State's Rights.

WH won't push gay marriage into party platform byJoel Gehrke Commentary Staff Writer

Great link! Thanks for the heads up! (look at the top of the thread you replied to)wink.png

Edited by koheesti

Great link! Thanks for the heads up! (look at the top of the thread you replied to)wink.png

Oops! Great links, though.

I am an American but I think the gay platform will be a minor issue. The economy will be the key factor in the election. The gay factor is being played up too much. It affects only a very small demographic base. Obama's 'hope and change' will change to 'what change?' I think the race issue is being played up too much. Race like the gay issue is not the main factor in this election. Unemployment and the economy will be the determining factor. Those that vote based on only race are going to be the real losers in this election. Race is another factor that is being played up when it should not be a factor at all. Too many will vote for the Democrats when they were the ones who were the main instigators of all the race problems in the US. Too many do not want to admit to that fact.

• Like 1

I am an American but I think the gay platform will be a minor issue. The economy will be the key factor in the election. The gay factor is being played up too much. It affects only a very small demographic base. Obama's 'hope and change' will change to 'what change?' I think the race issue is being played up too much. Race like the gay issue is not the main factor in this election. Unemployment and the economy will be the determining factor. Those that vote based on only race are going to be the real losers in this election. Race is another factor that is being played up when it should not be a factor at all. Too many will vote for the Democrats when they were the ones who were the main instigators of all the race problems in the US. Too many do not want to admit to that fact.

A good post, Don, but...

The fact remains Obama now has a record he can run on...or from.

The Democratic Party and the "elite" media are spending an inordinate amount of air time and print space on these issues rather than focusing on what this administration has failed to accomplish over the past three plus years, thus running away from his record.

I only receive CNN where I live in Thailand and every time I turn my set to that channel, they are talking about the gay marriage issue. It has taken the place of the Trayvon Martin tragedy in the headlines.

If the media attention on this issue is the same in the US then the Democrats are accomplishing their goal, which is deflecting the conversation from his party's real record, which in itself is rather dismal.

This is all smoke and mirrors since all he has really done about the gay marriage issue is...nothing.

By declaring it is actually a State's Rights issue, he has simply kicked the can further down the road and raised a few million more campaign dollars by doing so.

• Like 1

It is refreshing to see some genuine honesty, even if it is contentious.

There isn't anything honest that spews forth from his mouth. Irregardless of your stance on it he has changed his public statements many times from acceptance to rejection. This statement was to solidify another niche of voters and nothing more. The fact he had a fun raiser at George Clooney's house that night in Hollywood had a lot to do with it. From an estimated take of $10 million to an actual take of $15 in campaign contributions. Those that think he was doing the right thing by making the statement didn't think it through as nothing changed or will change. He then said it was a States rights issue. It has been brought to a vote in 32 States including California and has failed in all 32 States to get it passed by a large margin of the vote. It just brings money in and gets votes from an already solid voting block. He doesn't care about middle class America and has written off their support so it doesn't hurt him there.