Night Flights From Chiang Mai

briley

Early this morning (Friday 30th) a very noisy plane landed or took off at about 2.30am - not sure which as I was a little sleepy.

This is the second flight at about the same time this week.

Anyone awake enough to say who, what or why there seem to be night flights from Chiang Mai? (And where they are going to/coming from?)

Early this morning (Friday 30th) a very noisy plane landed or took off at about 2.30am - not sure which as I was a little sleepy.

Anyone awake enough to say who, what or why there seem to be night flights from Chiang Mai? (And where they are going to/coming from?)

I'm right on the flight path (hang dong) and woke up with the sound of a rather low flying heavy (commercial jet). I'm pretty accustomed to the noise and usually barely notice it. Know pretty much what time to expect them but this was unusual because it was after midnight. Perhaps a new route added.

Most likely it was a Nok Air B737 -- they've just started some night flights to accomodate all the extra passenger traffic for the holidays. According to their website, their BKK-bound night flights take off from CNX as late as 1:30 in the morning (and it may have been delayed, which is why you heard the takeoff around 2 am).

Why the flights are so late are a mystery to me. I seem to recall that last year, the "year-end specials" departed CNX around 11-ish or midnight. But this year's 1:30 am flights (arriving in BKK almost 3 am) certainly aren't very convenient for passengers who have to work the next morning. Hard to beat the ticket price though: 800B inclusive of all taxes+fees!

The night flights run until Jan. 4, so keep those earplugs handy.

PS I think that if the government is serious about turning CNX into a world-class aviation hub, perhaps they should start by implementing some "world-class" noise-abatement rules, such as rule #1 for CNX: Between midnight and 6 am, only landings and emergency takeoffs are permitted.

post-22866-1135924335_thumb.jpg

Why the flights are so late are a mystery to me. I seem to recall that last year, the "year-end specials" departed CNX around 11-ish or midnight. But this year's 1:30 am flights (arriving in BKK almost 3 am) certainly aren't very convenient for passengers who have to work the next morning. Hard to beat the ticket price though: 800B inclusive of all taxes+fees!

Thanks for that info, looks like that explains it well. 800B! Nice deal. Advantage, probably can actually park your car at CNX and miss any rush hour traffic in Bangkok.

PS I think that if the government is serious about turning CNX into a world-class aviation hub, perhaps they should start by implementing some "world-class" noise-abatement rules, such as rule #1 for CNX: Between midnight and 6 am, only landings and emergency takeoffs are permitted.

Is that an emergency take off as in:

"Quick quick take off in case we don't crash??"

Is that an emergency take off as in:

"Quick quick take off in case we don't crash??"

"Lookout, here comes a tsunami/hurricane/tax-collector/irate-BG , get us off the ground at any cost" (Option 3 for senior-politicians or close-family only)