Trang, Thailand

Moonhunteruk

Just thought i would mention this as it seams everytime people speak or write about places in the South TRANG is never mentioned.

Just to let people know Trang is about 2 hours either side of Krabi and Hat Yai. It lies on the Andaman Coast and has some great things to do. There are many great waterfalls, caves beaches, diving and it is very cheap etc....

The surrounding Islands of Koh Mook, Koh Ngai, Koh Kradan, the National parks and Koh Lanta make Trang a good place to visit, there a not many farrang here, most are teachers like myself but it is nice and how i like it.

Hope this helps ne one who is travelling around the South.

Just thought i would mention this as it seams everytime people speak or write about places in the South TRANG is never mentioned.

Just to let people know Trang is about 2 hours either side of Krabi and Hat Yai. It lies on the Andaman Coast and has some great things to do. There are many great waterfalls, caves beaches, diving and it is very cheap etc....

The surrounding Islands of Koh Mook, Koh Ngai, Koh Kradan, the National parks and Koh Lanta make Trang a good place to visit, there a not many farrang here, most are teachers like myself but it is nice and how i like it.

Hope this helps ne one who is travelling around the South.

Sounds really nice, is it very small as I could not find it on a map? Anyone got a link to a map?

Happy New year all

Yeas Trang is a very nice town and i wouldnt have thought that it has changed much in the last ten years, it is a very laid back slow moving town.

Great place to come and discover some great beaches, caves, waterfalls...... there really is a lot to do here. The only thing that is lacking for westerners which dosent bother me but does some of my friends there are very few restaurants you ca go to and get 'Farrang Food' of course there are some but not many.

If you like diving then there are some great dive sites around the local surrounding islands.

Not many farangs for sure. Last time I was there, I went with a Thai colleague who was from Trang.

She took me to her fav places and at one spectacular beach, not only was I the only farang but it also seemed that nobody had ever seen a white woman in a bathing suit before. :o

Lol i know what you mean, yes it is like you are from another planet sometimes, but as you know Thailand is 90% buddhist and not including Samui, Phuket and places like this the Thai locals are very shy about showing their bare skin.

I must confess i have never seen nebody in a bikini on the beaches in Trang. DAM SHAME lol

Was there for the first and so far only time 10 years ago...I remember a distinct lack of farang food (except for KFC), but the Emerald Cave partially-underwater passage was fantastic. Me & my parents had been invited there by the bosses of the Smiling Fish company...seems like they've expanded their operation since then :o

i love trang. ko mook. ko rok (actually in krabi province but closer to trang). stunning. and if you do go to ko mook, you must not miss out on tham morakot the emerald cave. stunning.

the mainland also has some great waterfalls to see. and there are lots of cave systems in the area.

i highly recommend trang, too.

Yes very much so, i have never been to the Emeraid Cave, but as you say and as i've heard it is meant to be very special.

So are you still in Thailand now!!!

Yeah, after a whole lot of coming and going I've been living here for the past 3.5 years, getting a degree in BKK.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wanting to visit Trang for some time now and now that the monson sems to have finally finished I may just head down. I know nothing at all about the province, so will I be able to find out everything that I need to know down in Trang Town or will I be surrounded by conmen selling tours?

Leeds, if you are thinking of coming to Trang, then you will have no trouble finding out information on where you want to go of what you want to do, if you have ne worries then head for the Trang Train Station and just next to it there is a cafe called SEABREEZE go in and ask for Yai he speaks very good English and say that Mike "the Teacher" told you to come here for some info and bookings he will sort you out and he's very cheap and reliable.

And no i am not on commission wish i was, but always nice to go somewhere and be able to get some information without all the other crap that goes with it.

Good Luck and have a great time.

Mike

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello there,

I have been in Trang three times for vaction now already and will go again a fourth time this weekend :-)

I look forward very much and would be happy if i could find a job there too and can remain there for the rest of my life......well, at least for many years. But reading here it looks there are just jobs for teachers.......well, would not yet have spotted any other opportunity there...........exept open a litte wunderBar....but here you first have to have funds :-(

Trang is great :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Trang - non coastal, nothing to write home about. Lanta - a backpacker dump, big prices and crappy beaches.

Anyone with info on the other islands I would love to know pls. I am heading to Ko Phayam for a few weeks/mos as I write. Esp near the Malay border. Cheap huts with nice beaches.

Well sorry I don't have any advice for someone so willing to write places off with a sweep of the keyboard. I have a feeling you wouldn't be happy anywhere...

NB - Trang is a province on the Andaman coast with many beaches and islands. Look it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Trang has just come onto my radar in the last couple of days. :)

I'm a 42 experienced English teacher. BA with a CELTA. Looking for a place where I can live the good life. For me this would be a decent school with good mates. Acheap beer after work in a bar with some eye candy and a pool table.

Can any of the English teachers say what the score is regards work? Is Trang a place I could walk to work, my home and a decent bar in the same neighbourhood?

• 3 weeks later...

ko ngai is beautiful. it is not anywhere near trang (city) and is fact an island as we all see to know. ive read (read) there are nice beaches and scenery allong the coast and a big fave w/ thais - but trang city. please someone clue us in on what might be worth a trip to trang - other than to use it as a launch point to somewhere else.

cats well out of the bag friend, its the prices that have people balking (muk, ngai, kradan and even jum)

• 2 weeks later...
ko ngai is beautiful. it is not anywhere near trang (city) and is fact an island as we all see to know. ive read (read) there are nice beaches and scenery allong the coast and a big fave w/ thais - but trang city. please someone clue us in on what might be worth a trip to trang - other than to use it as a launch point to somewhere else.

cats well out of the bag friend, its the prices that have people balking (muk, ngai, kradan and even jum)

Ok Bkkburning Trang CITY is just a city and a bounce to get to you next destination but there are still things to do in and around the city, try some of the amazing waterfalls, hot springs, Cow fighting, rock climbing, paintballing, fishing... city or not a city still things to do just need to rent your self a motor bike and move a few km (about 2 to the nearest wf outside the CITY)

And Koh Ngai (Hai) is an ok island some good beaches and good snorkelling, but should try Koh Mook prices much cheaper and better beach (250 baht) all year round resort so its just a case of looking which you dont seam to be doing.

Dont always listen to the people trying to sell resorts in the travel agents.

:)

• 1 month later...

I just mentioned Ngai as the poster prior did. Actually, I don't like the place personally - but it is prettyish and certainly popular with the resort types. Nearby - Ko Rok is my place although not in the Trang park (Lanta).

I don't stay at resorts. In fact, I don't even stay at bungalows - I am totally into camping the national parks in the Andaman.

In fairness, Trang is pretty tamadah but it does grow on you a bit. And, I am not so impressed with Yong Ling or Hat Jao Mai although it might be OK to go there for a picnic if I lived in the area.

So which island is the most beautiful around TRANG ?

Thanks.

I think Koh Rok is the most beautiful but is best as a day trip. Koh Ngai (aka Koh Hai) has great beaches, no roads, shops etc. It has 10 resorts and is a great place to chill out. It has good coral so great for snokelling and is close to lots of other small islands for day trips. A great place to stop for a few days or more. :)

Edited by siamkiwi