Trang, Thailand

Moonhunteruk

Any opinions of Koh Sukorn? I've been eying the Sukorn Beach Bungalows as they're affordable and seem to have a lot of positive reviews online.
Have also wanted to visit Koh Sukorn for a while now. Lots of the resort boat crews come from there. Have heard it is very relaxed an not often visited by tourists.

• 2 weeks later...

you would have no need to be concerned about farangs overcrowding these resort areas....

these extremely pleasureable and relaxing areas are like pattaya or phuket of 30 years ago into the history....

in trang itself, every evening you could feed yourself from literally hundred of food stalls in Central Point, right by the old police station and court house....

the price is around 15 baht per selection....

there is also a very popular pub called sha-ngaw ชะเงา which features live band for lunch and dinner.... and is usually pretty full with locals and price is very reasonable with NO cover charge.... the owners are sisters called pa-timm and pa-toi

and as far as places to stay for the night, there are ranges from 250 baht to 500 baht range.... then the 1,200 baht at the highrise....

post-75359-1268077228_thumb.png

Edited by nakachalet

One hotel I had been looking at was part of an Eco resort. It was on the mainland, and I don't think on the beach (but pretty close). They mentioned the raised most of the food on the premises.

They also had one or two sister resorts on the islands.

Anyway, I apparently didn't bookmark it, and now can't turn anything up using Google.

Anyone know what resort/hotel I'm talking about?

Just got back from Koh Kradan and Koh Ngai today. Gorgeous to the extreme!! I can't believe more people don't make the effort to go... the water is crystal clear, fantastic snorkelling, just like being in a massive aquarium and depending where you stay, not that expensive. Just 45 mins in a mini van from Trang city and a one hour boat trip to the island.

On Koh Kradan we stayed at Kalume (don't stay here!!) the first night but is WAY overpriced. Food was at least double the price of every other restaurant (curry was 190 baht). Beach front bungalows cost 900 baht/night with fan/bathroom, 200 baht just for a bed in tiny bungalow with shared bathroom and they have new air con (only part night with electricity) for 1500 baht/nght. Bunglows don't face the beach though strangely enough.

Other nights we moved to the last resort on the beach (next to Kalume) called Kradan Island Resort (not Kradan Beach Resort!) for just 500 baht per night, bungalow metres from the water and facing the beach. Good food, curry only 80 baht and owned by local boys.

Moved on to Koh Ngai which has a bit more chilled out feel as there is more variety of where to stay and eat with just the one really long beach. We stayed at Koh Ngai Villa Resort for 700 baht (usual price of 850baht) per night fan room which included 2 x massive breakfasts of tea/coffee, juice, fresh fruit and choice of four sets of eggs/ham/bacon etc. They also have air con bungalows for 1500.

Water was amazing at both islands, slightly clearer on Kradan but only slightly! Tide goes way out late in the arv and you can walk around the coral and see all the fish with your bare eyes, no snorkel required! Will definitely be making the annual trip out here from now on :-)

I'm curious, do you live in Thailand? I've tried fan rooms in the past when I've visited, and I've decided I *must* have AC, otherwise I quickly sweat through the bed. But I blame that in part because I live in California, and my body can't acclimate to the humidity in just a few weeks.