Pai

polecat

In my traditional style, I've left booking rooms for New Year to the last minute (am heading over to Pai in the morning) :o

Have managed to get a couple of rooms at The Blue Lagoon (*though I'm sure they'll give them away if someone strolls in before we arrive) But need two more.

Unfortunately most of the places I've been phoning are either full or simply don't exist anymore. Just after somewhere reasonably comfortable to sleep off the effects of Be-Bop Bar's New Years Heineken battle :D

Any suggestions would be met with eternal respect and a Get Out of Loi Kroh Free card.

Unfortunately a lot of the operations in Pai put their rates up astronomically this season. One that springs to mind is the Sun Hut - bungalows are 750 and the best ones are 1200. They are 250 and 400 respectively at other times of the year. I'm all for maximising earning potential, but that is way OTT for Pai. I've stayed here a lot in the past but am buggered if I will again.

The View Pai Hotel, almost directly opp Bebop, almost always has rooms. It's not very atmospheric but this weekend will be packed. Tha Pai Spa Camping and Spa Exotic Home - next to one another near the hot springs - will probably both have rooms but it's a bit far out unless you have your own transport.

Sun Hut's as raised its rates all around, they won't be going back down to 250-400B again. There are four or five new places within walking distance of Sun Hut, all about the same price range as Sun Hut used to be, so you could give them a try.

Bebop will have at least three bands Sat (NY eve) night, should be fun.

Sun Hut's as raised its rates all around, they won't be going back down to 250-400B again. There are four or five new places within walking distance of Sun Hut, all about the same price range as Sun Hut used to be, so you could give them a try.

Taking advantage of the trashing of many operations from this years' flood me thinks. They've bunged their rates up close to this before in the high season so expect they'll come back down in a few months, but nevertheless they are taking the Michael a bit.

Taking advantage of the trashing of many operations from this years' flood me thinks. They've bunged their rates up close to this before in the high season so expect they'll come back down in a few months, but nevertheless they are taking the Michael a bit.

Pai lost +/-200 rooms in the floods, of which only an estimated 50-60 have been rebuilt, so accoms are tight. Sun Hut also upgraded all its rooms this year (and added new ones), plus they planned to up their rates anyway. I know the owners and they intended to establish their rates in the 500-1000B range even before the floods came. IMO I don't think they're gouging, just going with supply and demand. New year's has nothing to do with it, don't think the floods are involved either (for them). Not that it's the greatest place in the world anyway - though they do have much better food than average, for guesthouse fare.

There are still plenty of other places in Pai that are cheap. Misty View, which rebuilt on top of the ridgeline overlooking town after losing all their bungalows (under the name River View) along the river, is charging just 200B for their new accoms.

Misty View's neighbours Pairadise, Pai Lanna and Suan Doi aren't jacking rates over NY either. In fact the only places I know for sure that are raising just for new year's are Belle Villa, Baan Krathing, Muang Pai Resort, Buranburi, basically all the places that cost over 1000B to begin with. Blue Lagoon might have upped its rates for NY.

On the other hand, it's a common practice internationally to boost rates during periods of high demand so I wouldn't blame any place who did charge extra over Xmas, NY, Songkran, etc.

I know Ran an Orn, too, and believe me he does like to gouge. He offered Sun Hut for me for 10 mil once (about 3 years ago), although I think he was joking. The new Golden Hut on the river looks really nice with the common decking and set high up the way it is. The floods didn't wipe that one away as they built it so high up.

Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the input. I read the replies in Pai but, having forgotten my password, have not been able to reply until back in CM.

Well, we ended up top 'n' tailing in two rooms at the Blue Lagoon as there were simply no other rooms to be had (even the View Pai). The joint was rather overpriced at 700 a double room, though it was new, clean and the pool was a winner.

That's the first time I've been to Pai since 98 and it would be facile to say it's changed - suffice to note the nightlife is more varied and the daylife more limited (unless you're a connosieur of trustafarian shopping chic).

And yes, New Year at Be Bop was a right royal knees up. (Who was that axe-legend Sabaijai? The one with the bottle of Jack on drip?)

Hi Polecat

Me and my girlfriend who live in mae tang are off to Pai this weekend do you recomended us booking before we go or just turn up?

Where do you recomended to stay? Your post says the pool was worth it, do many of the places have pools?

Thanks Ash :o

Hey Ash,

Pai is fairly quiet again after the New Year's rush, so you will definitely be able to get something if you just turn up.

I quite enjoyed the Blue Lagoon (Clicky) and found the staff really friendly, though in essence it's a pretty bland motel-style affair - fine for my hangovers and cable-telly weakness, not so good or those wanting to discuss humus and reiki.

I revisted Golden Hut - where iI had stayed years before - and rather wished I had been able to get a room there. They have stilt bungalows next to the river for 300 & 500 baht (Google is your friend) and ###### good views.

Give a little bit more info about how much you want to spend, location etc and I'm sure, if you ask nicely, Sabaijai will offer some tip-top advice.

(Who was that axe-legend Sabaijai? The one with the bottle of Jack on drip?)

The band's called The Jackalans, dunno who the guitarist was. Looked like the blonde singer didn't mind tilting back Jack herself.

BTW I heard that same band, and a few others, are going to be playing at a concert in front of Tha Phae Gate this coming Saturday at 9.30pm. When I get more details I'll post separately.