Fish & Chips

baan_yangyai

Has anyone English out there ever had the cravings for Fish&Chips after a night out on the town? Ever wondered why there are no English fish&chip shops in Bangkok? 

Any comments welcomed! :o

Not true.

There is one on Suk Soi 23 which varies from being OK to almost inedible depending upon the day and quite possibly my beer intake.

Whenever I get the craving thats where I go.

Can you get better fish? yes in several places

They do have cod, mushy peas etc.

I think it's called the Ship Inn or Offshore Bar. Just next to the 7-11 near the mouth of Soi Cowboy.

Only been the once. Just make sure that your eyes aren't bigger than your stomache. :o

I ordered Steak & Kidney Pie, Chips, Beans and Gravy. Two rounds of bread and a mug of Tea.

Half way through the meal I was absolutely bloated. Too much eating small Thai and fast food meals does that to you. :D

I think it's called the Ship Inn or Offshore Bar. Just next to the 7-11 near the mouth of Soi Cowboy.

Only been the once. Just make sure that your eyes aren't bigger than your stomache. 

I ordered Steak & Kidney Pie, Chips, Beans and Gravy. Two rounds of bread and a mug of Tea.

Half way through the meal I was absolutely bloated. Too much eating small Thai and fast food meals does that to you. 

I used to eat there a lot a few years back. Highly recommend it.

Try Harry Ramsdens  on the Leeds Otley Road , none better  nignoy

The Harry Ramsdens in Aberdeen has closed down much to my dissapointment.

At leat the best chipper in the world, the Inverbervie chipper, is still there.

The "Bus Stop" bar about 250 metres up Sukhumvit soi Nana from Nana Plaza does really good fish and chips. They are the best I have had over in Thailand.

The one on Soi 23 is next to the Offshore bar.

The Silver Dollar and a couple of others in Washington Square off Suk 22 do fish and chips as well.

I stayed at the end of nana (cigarette factory end) for a few months this year (2005) AND I found the fish & chips at Bullys (near the cnr of nana soi 4 and Suk - is it still there?) were the best...good fish well cooked chips...the pub itself was pretty ordinary.

The Bus Stop - the fish and chips were OK - large servings but the fish was a bit ordinary BUT the pub was better - and it had the aussie footy on the telly.

But then Bullys sold Guiness and Kilkenny....tho' the Bus Stop was always full of pleasant young ladies to look at and was cheaper to eat and drink....it was always a dilemma on where to eat!

Anyway I found there is plenty of fish & chips to eat!!

(The Robin Hood near the Emporium was good for fish and chips as was the Irish (Se)XChange in soi convent, Silom - tho' both were relatively expensive).

Gullivers on Sukkumvit Soi 5 does pretty good fish and chips, I tried the Bus Stop food once and thought it was rank, may have been an off day though.

Still never seen a proper British style chippy anywhere in Bangkok though, all the expat pubs seem to do what I'd best describe as steakhouse style chips. There's actually a reasonably good attempt a a chippy in Haad Rin (Koh Pha Ngan), of all places.

Edited by dantilley

Fish & Chips is easy. Pie & Mash now thats hard. Might open one up.

Again, Pie and Mash available in most of the pubs!

I think it's the East-London style Pie and Mash that Roamer was referring to, not seen this available anywhere in Thailand (or anywhere outside London for that matter!). If you do open a shop, Roamer, make sure it has jellied eels on the menu too!

Not true.

There is one on Suk Soi 23 which varies from being OK to almost inedible depending upon the day and quite possibly my beer intake.

Whenever I get the craving thats where I go.

Can you get better fish? yes in several places

They do have cod, mushy peas etc.

This is a very good summing up of the Offshore chippy on Suk Soi 23.The more alcohol that has been consumed, the better it tastes. :o

I do like the batter sausages in the Offshore. Not very healthy for you but pretty tasty.

I met a guy last week who is in the process of opening a Fish and Chip Shop here, he is apparently a member of some Fish Fryers Union in the UK. Says that it will do all the usual Chip Shop stuff along with Jacket Spuds and Breakfasts too... Sounds good..

I can ask hi for more details if anyone is interested.

Cheers

I met a guy last week who is in the process of opening a Fish and Chip Shop here, he is apparently a member of some Fish Fryers Union in the UK. Says that it will do all the usual Chip Shop stuff along with Jacket Spuds and Breakfasts too... Sounds good..

I can ask hi for more details if anyone is interested.

Cheers

I reckon I'd be a regular customer of his, location permitting of course. If you could find out an address and an approximate opening date that would be great.

and of course its all in the batter....

Believe Ray in the Offshore uses "boddies" :D

...yumi

so make it yourself...couple of ideas...

Beer Batter

Ingredients

1 12 oz can light Beer

1 1/2 cups Flour

1/2 tsp Salt

1 Tbsp Paprika

1 cup Flour

Directions

Pour the beer into a large bowl. Sift the flour, salt, and paprika into the beer, whisking until the batter is light and frothy.

(The batter may be used immediately or stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, but be sure to whisk it occasionally). Heat at least 2 inches of oil in a frying kettle or electric fryer. Just before it reaches 375F, quickly dredge the fish and shrimp with flour, shaking of excess then dip in the beer batter, coating well, and drop them into the hot fat (do this in 2 batches).

When they are brown on one side - less than 1 minute - turn and brown them on the other side.

Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with lemon wedges.

Beer Batter #2

Ingredients

2 Eggs, separated

3/4 cup Beer, room temperature

2 Tbsp Vegetable oil

3/4 cup Flour

1 1/2 Tbsp Salt

Directions

To prepare, place flour in a mixing bowl and add egg yolks, salt, oil, and beer. Stir batter until thoroughly mixed. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours or as long as 24 - the longer the better, to a point. Just before using batter, stir it well again.

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; gently fold egg whites into batter.

Good for about 6 fish fillets, depending upon their size.

Fry in oil at 360 F. :o

I always thought that Bobby's Arms did a decent fish and chips. But, then again, I'm an American and probably don't know any better. And, I haven't eaten there since they moved. What was that, three years ago?

Haven't been to Patpong for quite some time. Where did Bobby's Arms move to? I always enjoyed it.

Its still in Pat Pong but would go OUT of my way to AVOID it.

"Bobby" sold out about 5 years ago and now its just a noisy tin can of a place.

Can still get there through the car park but they now have a new "back entrance" via Soi Katoey.

Fish & Chips were very good and traditionally served up...gingham table cloths,silver service,lashings of tea and bread and butter...HP tommy/tarta sauce. :o

Its going to be near Khao San Road in Banglampoo and he is planning on being up and running in about 6-8 weeks.

He will also be showing Comedy DVDs - The Office, Royale Family, Monty Python were some that were mentioned...

I will definately be going down there!!

Hope he does Sunday Roasts too!!!

Cheers

I reckon I'd be a regular customer of his, location permitting of course. If you could find out an address and an approximate opening date that would be great.

Its going to be near Khao San Road in Banglampoo and he is planning on being up and running in about 6-8 weeks.

He will also be showing Comedy DVDs - The Office, Royale Family, Monty Python were some that were mentioned...

I will definately be going down there!!

Hope he does Sunday Roasts too!!!

Cheers

Yeah, sounds good. Unfortunatelty, it sounds like it's just a little bit out of the way for me to be a true regular...