Fish & Chips

baan_yangyai

• 2 weeks later...
The "Bus Stop" bar about 250 metres up Sukhumvit soi Nana from Nana Plaza does really good fish and chips. They are the best I have had over in Thailand.

The one on Soi 23 is next to the Offshore bar.

The Silver Dollar and a couple of others in Washington Square off Suk 22 do fish and chips as well.

got to agree ,probably the most authentic english pub food i've had in bkk

Not as good as the Queen Victoria on Soi 6 , Pattaya. Thats the best!

Yeah, the Queen Victoria in Chiang Mai (newly opened) is also excellent. Looks like they're onto a winner there - is there one opening in Bangkok too?

best in chiang mai gotta be the red lion down by the night market

The Fish and Chips Shop across from the UN Irish Pub has been closed for weeks for renovations and a newbie has bought part of the business. Maybe he will straighten the place out.

The fish and chips there were quite good in the beginning until Soda decided to go for a million item menu covering every kind of food in the world.

Who goes to a fish and chips shop for (lousy) Mexican food? :o

The Fish and Chips Shop across from the UN Irish Pub has been closed for weeks for renovations and a newbie has bought part of the business. Maybe he will straighten the place out.

The fish and chips there were quite good in the beginning until Soda decided to go for a million item menu covering every kind of food in the world.

Who goes to a fish and chips shop for (lousy) Mexican food? :o

You know though, I've never had really good Fish and Chips in Thailand. I've had alright, OK, indifferent and crap. I daresay that there is probably some decent fish somewhere, but like the vast majority of Farang food that I ever eat is overpriced and ends up being just dissapointing...

The Fish and Chip shop on Ratchviti Road was ok, but the oil ended up never getting changed and the chips had a funny taste. Oh, did anyone ever workout what that sachet of grey paste was for? I never dared open it myself...

Gullivers on Sukkumvit Soi 5 does pretty good fish and chips, I tried the Bus Stop food once and thought it was rank, may have been an off day though.

Still never seen a proper British style chippy anywhere in Bangkok though, all the expat pubs seem to do what I'd best describe as steakhouse style chips. There's actually a reasonably good attempt a a chippy in Haad Rin (Koh Pha Ngan), of all places.

:D

English friend once told me that fish & chips doesn't taste the same unless you wrap it in yesterday's newspaper. Maybe to expensive to get them here?

I was in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia in 1980. There was a Saudi, family was rolling in money, who opened what he said was an authentic fish & chips shop. Seems he had gone to Liverpool on vacation and liked a fish & chip place there so mush that he bought out the place, including staff, and brought the whole thing to Riyadh. Flew the fish in two or three times a week from the U.K. Your choice was either Cod or Plaice for the fish. Chips (not French Fries) and even had Vinegar from the U.K. for the Chips.

After about a year he went broke.

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Gullivers on Sukkumvit Soi 5 does pretty good fish and chips, I tried the Bus Stop food once and thought it was rank, may have been an off day though.

Still never seen a proper British style chippy anywhere in Bangkok though, all the expat pubs seem to do what I'd best describe as steakhouse style chips. There's actually a reasonably good attempt a a chippy in Haad Rin (Koh Pha Ngan), of all places.

:D

English friend once told me that fish & chips doesn't taste the same unless you wrap it in yesterday's newspaper. Maybe to expensive to get them here?

I was in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia in 1980. There was a Saudi, family was rolling in money, who opened what he said was an authentic fish & chips shop. Seems he had gone to Liverpool on vacation and liked a fish & chip place there so mush that he bought out the place, including staff, and brought the whole thing to Riyadh. Flew the fish in two or three times a week from the U.K. Your choice was either Cod or Plaice for the fish. Chips (not French Fries) and even had Vinegar from the U.K. for the Chips.

After about a year he went broke.

:o

Shame. That kind of operation would be great in Bangkok...

I've never had fish and chips in Thailand...just curious, what kind of fish do most places use? Would have to be some kinda sea fish...can't see anyone using mushy, boney river plachon for the fish. What kind of local sea fish would be suitable?

Round the Gulf area they mostly use the local hammour which I believe makes a good subtitute for cod. Any cod you get around here is frozen and I believe the same would apply in Thailand.

Anyone know different?

Had some good fish n chips in Hua Hin recently. Can't remember the name but a small shop, Brit owner, on the little soi behind the Hilton. Atlantic cod and halibut he had I think? Ran about 200 baht more or less. REAL mushy peas too! :o

I really miss the fish n chips from home as well. Especially at Whiterock beach, Vancouver. They're all chokablok, side by side, each trying to outdo another. Every variation/species u you can imagine but the widely held secret is in each's homemade tartar sauce... mmmm arroy! :D

I've never had fish and chips in Thailand...just curious, what kind of fish do most places use? Would have to be some kinda sea fish...can't see anyone using mushy, boney river plachon for the fish. What kind of local sea fish would be suitable?

Round the Gulf area they mostly use the local hammour which I believe makes a good subtitute for cod. Any cod you get around here is frozen and I believe the same would apply in Thailand.

Anyone know different?

Red snapper seems to be the local favorite.

OK, but too heavy and the texture is wrong. :o

• 4 weeks later...
You can get ok fish and chips in The Londoner, soi 33.

Listen to the band, watch footie..or the waitresses  :D

U can get fish and chips in most of the british style pubs

Try Harry Ramsdens :D on the Leeds Otley Road , none better :o nignoy

Sorry I disagree ...very good no doubt but when it went public and appeared in Heathrow and Hong Kong it lost something ... Mother Hubbards in Bradford is bigger better and had my custom for many years .. I once met a Yokshire Guy a senior Bank Official who had been working in China for 6 months he flew into Leeds Bradford Airport straight fom the Chinese flight into H/Row to do a check on our business for a hugh loan extention . My boss a Londoner and Yuppy wanted to arrange a slap up meal in a fancy resto ,

I took him straight to Mother Hubbards My boss was horrified and thought I had flipped I ordered Giant cod and Chips , mushy peas , mixed bread and 4 pints of draught Tetleys ( there was 3 of us I guessed the Tetleys would not touch the sides of the Bank guy . )I was right very right , and we got the approval for the loan at the table ...

But my absolute favourite was there Halibut and chips ..to die for .

• 2 weeks later...

In Chiang Mai on the CM-HangDong Road going South, make a right at the timed intersection past the Tesco-Lotus, go straight about 3/4 of the way to Canal Road and on the left is a new Pub/Restaurant called Lotus something. Maybe Lotus Garden Restaurant. It's only been opened a month and a half.

We really liked the beer battered fish and the night sky was clear and the stars shining brightly. The staff were pleasant and friendly - Good atmosphere. Customers seem to be enjoying their selves. Fish was served with tartar sauce and thought that some malt vinegar would have been nice.

We've only eaten there once, but I thought I'd mention it since there aren't too many good restaurants south of the city and it may be awhile before I crave fish and chips again.

Elaine

In Chiang Mai on the CM-HangDong Road going South, make a right at the timed intersection past the Tesco-Lotus, go straight about 3/4 of the way to Canal Road and on the left is a new Pub/Restaurant called Lotus something. Maybe Lotus Garden Restaurant. It's only been opened a month and a half.

We really liked the beer battered fish and the night sky was clear and the stars shining brightly. The staff were pleasant and friendly - Good atmosphere. Customers seem to be enjoying their selves. Fish was served with tartar sauce and thought that some malt vinegar would have been nice.

We've only eaten there once, but I thought I'd mention it since there aren't too many good restaurants south of the city and it may be awhile before I crave fish and chips again.

Elaine

Just checked... It's called Lotus Restaurant and Beer Garden...

• 3 weeks later...

The Chippy on Suk Soi 23 (next to the less attractive Offshore Bar - apologies to regulars) - in my view is as good as you're likely to find in asia. You've got to go at the right time of day (ie normally busy times/when they cook things freshlyish) but if you do I think its pretty ###### good for something outside northern UK. Its not best when eaten by itself (so its not brilliant) but get baked beans on the side (they're actually pretty good - again unusually) - and it goes down v well. You can get beer served with it too so its got something over UK chippies - though would love it if they served Dandilion and Burdock in cans. Now there's a question - does anyone know where you can buy Dandilion and Burdock drinks in BKK?? :o

though would love it if they served Dandilion and Burdock in cans. Now there's a question - does anyone know where you can buy Dandilion and Burdock drinks in BKK??

D&B , one of the finest fizzy drinks ever invented , makes you belch like a bastard though.

never seen it here , unfortunately.

as for chippies , imho the best in bangkok are to be found at the "if it swims we have it" seafood restaurant on soi 24. outrageously expensive though , but imported cod and and a mountain of chips.

the dump on soi 23 is just that , a lowrent dump , no better than any of the thousands of third class chippies that litter the backstreets of england , replete with low rent customers and staff.

the food there is awful , and the ambience worse.

pub fish and chips in bkk much better.

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm... just went back to the soi 23 chippy the other night and realised I need to revise my review above - the atmosphere is indeed pretty poor and its not always service with a smile. Still I haven't found better in Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have an opinion on the chippy in Pattaya next to Cabbages & Condoms? I think it's part of the Elephant Bar. they seem to have all the right stuff....you know, gerkins, pickled eggs and the like.

Is the Elephant Bar a world wide chain or a local establishment?

Does anyone have an opinion on the chippy in Pattaya next to Cabbages & Condoms? I think it's part of the Elephant Bar. they seem to have all the right stuff....you know, gerkins, pickled eggs and the like.

I think it's a one man show (Manchunian)...has a couple of other outlets around Jomtien/Pattaya....why?

I think it's a one man show (Manchunian)...has a couple of other outlets around Jomtien/Pattaya....why?

There's a chain in the States with the same name that serves Fish&Chips that make Long John Silver's fish seem gourmet.

A new fish and chips place just open 2 weeks ago.

I went to "Oh My Cod" on Sunday night. The cod and chips was very good. The local fish and chips is red snapper. The cod is imported and is better than the snapper IMHO .

The owners name is Chris. A good guy.

You'll find 'Oh my Cod" near Khao San Rd in the soi next to the temple, the soi which you cut through if you are walking from Khao Sarn Road through to Pra Artit Road.

www.sunbeltasia.com

post-2725-1146060920_thumb.jpg