Moving To Cm

Chilvers

Hello all.....hope you had a happy Xmas and are going to have a brillient New Year!! I posted this on the Pets forum but also trying my luck on this one.

I'm moving to Chiang Mai in January from the UK with my partner and child. We're planning on bringing out my German Sheperd Dog later on but want to ensure that things are settled first.

Does anyone have any info on the Chiang Mai area including:

1. Good Vets - especially English speaking or Farang ones.

2. Any good kennels (again english speaking would be good). We have to travel for 3/4 days ever 3 months so want to find somewhere good for her to be.

3. Any other good info anyone has about having dogs in Thailand.

Thanks for your help.....and cannot wait to be there!!

:o

I talked with my wife about this (she takes care of medical for our Golden Retriever). She said the animal clinic called "Dog and Cat clinic" located at Chiangmai Land is the absolute best. Forget Chiangmai University Vet clinic, she says too expensive, have to wait long times and don't appear that concerned about the animal.

The above clinic handles animals of foreigners quite a bit so they can understand English. Phone number: 053-204215

The clinic has kennels but maybe for sick animals only. However they will know where good kennels are and you can just ask them. Be sure to keep on top of skin diseases with your shepard. We had a shepard and he got an acute case of mange and died from it. At that time we didn't know where the good vets were.

I talked with my wife about this (she takes care of medical for our Golden Retriever). She said the animal clinic called "Dog and Cat clinic" located at Chiangmai Land is the absolute best.  Forget Chiangmai University Vet clinic, she says too expensive, have to wait long times and don't appear that concerned about the animal.

The above clinic handles animals of foreigners quite a bit so they can understand English. Phone number: 053-204215

The clinic has kennels but maybe for sick animals only.  However they will know where good kennels are and you can just ask them.  Be sure to keep on top of skin diseases with your shepard.  We had a shepard and he got an acute case of mange and died from it.  At that time we didn't know where the good vets were.

Thank you very much for that advice.....really reassuring......i've been in two minds on whether to bring her since the other option is to stay in UK with my parents who she loves, and they love her......so is not a bad option, except I'd miss her like crazy.

Having experienced 'mange' yourself, have you any advice on what to do to help prevent it. Also, what's the vets fees like in CHiang Mai, compared to UK?

How well did your Shepard adapt to the temperature in CM prior to the skin problem?

And did you get your Golden Retriever in CM.....if so, where, since we're thinking of getting one once we've settled as a companion to our Shepard?

Sorry for the 1001 questions and answers.....really appreciate your advice and help on this.

:o

I agree with tywais. Forget CMU vet and go with the one at Chiang Mai Land. My Chinese Shar Pei, which I got here in Chiang Mai had mange. As I posted on another topic, she had a bunch of other health problems and we were very frustrated. We were not happy with the treatment at CMU at all, so we switched to the Chiang Mai Land vet. Weekly visits to the vet cost between 400-800 baht, including the check-up and meds. Our dog had demodectic mange which they get from their mother while nursing, it's not contagious. However, sarcoptic mange is very contagious. So, your best bet is to not let your dog run free and interact with the thousands of strays rooming the streets here.

As far as buying a dog here, be very careful as I believe that the breeding standards are questionable to say the least.

Some forum links you might want to browse through:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45464

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41248

Vet fees are pretty cheap (not being from the UK, can't compare :D ) Think it costs us about 600Baht for a full round of innoculations. Just looked at our vaccination book but unfortunately doesn't have the charges in it. Just know that when my wife takes him to the vet she usually asks me for 600.00B :o .

This is a list of the vaccinations in the book he has received:

PNEUMODOG (Kennel Cough Syndrome)

PRIMODOG PARVODOG (Canine parvovirus)

TETRADOG (Combined Pentavalent Vaccine)

HEXADOG (Combined Hexavalent Vaccine)

RABISIN/IMRAB-1 (Rabies)

HEARTGARD, IMMITICIDE, WITNESS - DEWORMING

This is over a period of 2.5 years and some are periodic. Bambi might be able to explain these better (our resident Vet).

As for temperature, never was much of an issue for the Shepard due to our house having lots of shade. Usually stayed on the porch or car park. My wife got the GR in Lampang (about 90km from CM) but if you browse the above posts you will see more information including breeding kennel books that are available.

Also need to watch out for ticks and keep control of them. Some areas they can get quite bad. But with proper control techniques won't be a problem. Another thread in the Pet Forum on tick/flea control.

Whew, got all wound up here, hope it helps. :D

ps: Just saw MYMA's post and do need to be sure you get the GR from an accredited breader. Ours is a pedigree with all the authenticated documents and is a perfect specimen if I say so myself. Between 6000.00 and 10,000 Baht for a puppy should be the ballpark figures.

Edited by tywais

Some forum links you might want to browse through:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45464

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41248

Vet fees are pretty cheap (not being from the UK, can't compare  :D )  Think it costs us about 600Baht for a full round of innoculations. Just looked at our vaccination book but unfortunately doesn't have the charges in it.  Just know that when my wife takes him to the vet she usually asks me for 600.00B :o .

This is a list of the vaccinations in the book he has received:

PNEUMODOG (Kennel Cough Syndrome)

PRIMODOG PARVODOG (Canine parvovirus)

TETRADOG (Combined Pentavalent Vaccine)

HEXADOG (Combined Hexavalent Vaccine)

RABISIN/IMRAB-1 (Rabies)

HEARTGARD, IMMITICIDE, WITNESS - DEWORMING

This is over a period of 2.5 years and some are periodic.  Bambi might be able to explain these better (our resident Vet).

As for temperature, never was much of an issue for the Shepard due to our house having lots of shade.  Usually stayed on the porch or car park.  My wife got the GR in Lampang (about 90km from CM) but if you browse the above posts you will see more information including breeding kennel books that are available.

Also need to watch out for ticks and keep control of them.  Some areas they can get quite bad.  But with proper control techniques won't be a problem.  Another thread in the Pet Forum on tick/flea control.

Whew, got all wound up here, hope it helps. :D

ps:  Just saw MYMA's post and do need to be sure you get the GR from an accredited breader. Ours is a pedigree with all the authenticated documents and is a perfect specimen if I say so myself.  Between 6000.00 and 10,000 Baht for a puppy should be the ballpark figures.

That's all amazing help and advice.....thank you very much.

As I said I am in two minds as to what is best for her....but I feel as long as we get settled....she will come out and join us.

If you have any other thoughts and advice in the meantime....it would all help.

Cheers

:D

" Forget Chiangmai University Vet clinic, she says too expensive, have to wait long times and don't appear that concerned about the animal."

To be fair:

I had to take my beloved cat to the small animal clinic at the Uni yesterday. It was lunchtime and carrying the animal in I was greeted by nonchalance by reception. I walked straight through and got the same from behind until I persisted a little. But I have to be fair once they got going it ended up with five people working to save Buster's life for more than half an hour. Checked temperature and heart, and found a vein straight away for the drip, three injections, then a catheterisation to ease the bladder which they found was blocked. Darling Buster died right there but they tried to revive him for some time. They showed considerable skill and coordination. I could hardly believe it when I got a bill for a miniscule 200 baht....they must have lost money.

I might say if he had been properly diagnosed by the vet in the road between the Suthep Road and the "wing" air force base two days before he would be alive today.

He was a gentle giant....a great cat.

" Forget Chiangmai University Vet clinic, she says too expensive, have to wait long times and don't appear that concerned about the animal."

To be fair:

I had to take my beloved cat to the small animal clinic at the Uni yesterday. It was lunchtime and carrying the animal in I was greeted by nonchalance by reception. I walked straight through and got the same from behind until I persisted a little. But I have to be fair once they got going it ended up with five people working to save Buster's life for more than half an hour. Checked temperature and heart, and found a vein straight away for the drip, three injections, then a catheterisation to ease the bladder which they found was blocked. Darling Buster died right there but they tried to revive him for some time. They showed considerable skill and coordination. I could hardly believe it when I got a bill for a miniscule 200 baht....they must have lost money.

I might say if he had been properly diagnosed by the vet in the road between the Suthep Road and the "wing" air force base two days before he would be alive today.

He was a gentle giant....a great cat.

Thank you .....and I'm so sorry about your loss.....and highlights the only reason I'm unsure about bringing my GSD to Thailand.......

So sorry again..... :o

"Thank you .....and I'm so sorry about your loss.....and highlights the only reason I'm unsure about bringing my GSD to Thailand.......

So sorry again....."

Very kind of you.

Luckily his sister is sitting right in front of me in fact a bloody nuisance walking in front of the laptop regularly to get my attention. She's getting spoilt rotten and slept on my bed the last two nights.

The answer to your problem is obvious.

Leave your dog with your parents who love him, and come and get a "soi dog". There is an abundance of spare dogs here that would be ecstatic to have an owner like you.( look up lanna dog rescue.)

They're happy! (your parents)

You're happy!

I talked with my wife about this (she takes care of medical for our Golden Retriever). She said the animal clinic called "Dog and Cat clinic" located at Chiangmai Land is the absolute best.  Forget Chiangmai University Vet clinic, she says too expensive, have to wait long times and don't appear that concerned about the animal.

The clinic has kennels but maybe for sick animals only.  However they will know where good kennels are and you can just ask them.  Be sure to keep on top of skin diseases with your shepard.  We had a shepard and he got an acute case of mange and died from it.  At that time we didn't know where the good vets were.

I agree we take our GR there too and they are very professional

Leave your dog with your parents who love him, and come and get a "soi dog". There is an abundance of spare dogs here that would be ecstatic to have an owner like you.( look up lanna dog rescue.)

You're happy!

Have to agree with this. I think a Shepherd trying to adjust to this climate after living in England would be pretty miserable and unhappy. You are also exposing it to many things that it would not be used to, not excluding virus', etc.

I had a Thai Ridgeback Dog which I purchased in Thailand and it later died of mosquito born diseases. It was first misdiagnosed by 3 different vets. Finally, properly diagnosed and treated extremely well by the vet on Superhwy and Chiang Mai Land Rd but too late.

Leave the dog home and find a new, needy companion here.

As for kennels:

There is a Dutch lady who runs a kennel service near San Sai. We've left our dogs there three times and no real problems -- except our dogs are spoiled and not used to kennel life.

I can dig up her contact info if you want.

As for kennels:

There is a Dutch lady who runs a kennel service near San Sai. We've left our dogs there three times and no real problems -- except our dogs are spoiled and not used to kennel life.

I can dig up her contact info if you want.

thanks all for the advice and info............this dutch ladies info would be great please.......... :o

Hello Chilvers!

We had a German Shepherd dog. It was doing fine in Thailand. Like all longhaired dogs, it needed a shady cool place. For our GSD that place was under my working desk. Served both of us fine. The dog had a nice cool place and I had a fluffy mat.

According to our experience, the number one cause of death in Thailand is traffic accidents. Of the 20+ dogs my wife owned over the years, one third died from collisions with vehicles. My wife's property is enclosed by a wall, but sometimes (especially in the heat season) the doggies sneak out anyway.

It's better for the dogs if the property is not located close to a major road.

Cheers, X-Pat

You're happy!

Have to agree with this. I think a Shepherd trying to adjust to this climate after living in England would be pretty miserable and unhappy. You are also exposing it to many things that it would not be used to, not excluding virus', etc.

I had a Thai Ridgeback Dog which I purchased in Thailand and it later died of mosquito born diseases. It was first misdiagnosed by 3 different vets. Finally, properly diagnosed and treated extremely well by the vet on Superhwy and Chiang Mai Land Rd but too late.

Leave the dog home and find a new, needy companion here.

I had to make a decission on bringing my dog as well, she is a larger breed as well, English mastiff. As hard as it was for me, I decided to leave her with my parents on account of her own happiness and health. With everything I have seen happen to animals here, it is not worth risking their life in my opionion. But I do miss her everyday, but also know she is happier at the home she knows.

Good luck.

Our Pyrenean Mountain Dog came here when she was already over ten. An ancient age for a Pyrie. She was happy here and lived to the ripe old age of almost 15 without any health problems to speak of.

She took care to stay out of the direct sun and liked to lie on cool stone floors. We did clip her and regularly wet her down during the hot season, but made little other allowance for the heat.

When she died, she simply went to sleep and never woke up.

Our Pyrenean Mountain Dog came here when she was already over ten. An ancient age for a Pyrie. She was happy here and lived to the ripe old age of almost 15 without any health problems to speak of.

She took care to stay out of the direct sun and liked to lie on cool stone floors. We did clip her and regularly wet her down during the hot season, but made little other allowance for the heat.

When she died, she simply went to sleep and never woke up.

Thanks for the opinions......obviously got a lot to consider and a difficult choice ahead. However, whilst I definitely see the risks, it would be good to hear from anyone who has brought GSD's over and they've had really good enoyable lives (or any other large dogs for that matter).....and any other precautions you took beyond the ones already mentioned.

Am now in Chiang Mai, looking for accommodation to rent and checking out vets and kennels.

God, so happy to be here........ :o