Phuket Police Launch Manhunt For Three Foreigners In Bt30M Jewelry Heist

webfact

Phuket Police dragnet fails to recover B30mn in stolen jewelry

Phuket Gazette

dragnet1.jpeg

Tourist Police Sgt Payong Tipsombut inspects the smashed window of the Toyota van, which hours earlier had contained over 30 million baht of jewelry. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

dragnet2.jpeg

Thongsak Chintakarroek explained that he had brought his finest jewelry down for the fair and that none of it was insured. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- Police are searching vehicles leaving the island and passengers departing via Phuket International Airport are being subjected to more rigorous bag searches following the theft of 30 million baht of jewelry from a parked van near Phuket Town this morning.

The theft was discovered at about 9:45am by Thongsak Chintakarroek, whose Toyota Alphard Hybrid had a window smashed and a suitcase containing the now-missing jewelry stolen.

The Toyota multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) was parked on the street behind the popular Big C shopping center on Phuket’s bypass road.

Mr Thongsak, a 46-year-old jeweler and owner of Expert Gems, a shop in the Jewelry Trade Center on Silom Road, Bangkok, and a sales and marketing assistant stayed last night at a hotel on the street.

The two were to showcase the jewelry at the week-long Jewelry Fair at Central Festival Phuket nearby.

Having left their hotel this morning, Mr Thongsak and his employee stopped for breakfast near the Big C supercenter.

“After we had some noodles, we walked back to the van and found the windows broken and the jewelry gone. I called the police immediately,” Mr Thongsak said.

Phuket Police and the Phuket Tourist Police all arrived at the scene within 10 minutes of being contacted.

CCTV footage from the scene revealed three foreigners – two male and one female – driving away from the area in a Toyota Vios.

Although the CCTV footage shows the gang in possession of the black suitcase taken from Mr Thongsak’s van, it does not show the gang breaking into the vehicle or give any indication as to why the car alarm failed to alert people in the area.

Mr Thongsak said that the van was fitted with an alarm, but he and his assistant did not hear any alarms while they were sitting in the noodle shop, which was only 10 meters away.

The police investigation has already revealed that the three foreigners followed Mr Thongsak back to his hotel last night and checked in there.

This was Mr Thongsak’s seventh visit to Phuket to showcase his jewelry.

“Because I have come down to the fair many times before, I believed Phuket to be a safe place. I did not think I would have any trouble,” he said.

“I chose all of my best jewelry from the shop for the fair, but it wasn’t insured,” he said.

“I believe that the police will catch the thieves soon,” he added.

Mr Thongsak was doubtful he would be able to identify any of the thieves.

“My shop has been open for more than 10 years and I have about 100 customers a day, so I can’t remember if the thieves used to come into my shop or not,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle14966.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-05-14

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally I never thought it was an insurance claim case, I believe the guy is not telling all the truth though, actually not even the half of it! Otherwise he is the stupidest man on the planet !

who in their right mind would leave that kind of money in a car overnight?

People who got it all insured a month earlier ?? wink.png

Even the insurers are not that dumb!

I'm no expert but what insurance company would pay out on theft from an unattended car......I suppose bankers JP Morgan might with their record but as sure as hell there would be a clause saying the property must be secured relating to it's value.......600,000 pounds that's armoured truck that is.

I hate to say it but if I was a Thai cop in charge of this my first thoughts would be...are you too miserable to pay a couple of Thais to ride shotgun or pay a security company a fee to transport the goods safely?

My second thoughts would be to be on the lookout for 3 guys singing and dancing in the rain minus an umbrella with big smiles on their faces dressed like something out of the roaring twenties.

My 3rd thought would be to stop laughing at him.laugh.png eejit!!!!

• Like 1

who in their right mind would leave that kind of money in a car overnight?

People who got it all insured a month earlier ?? wink.png

Even the insurers are not that dumb!

They are probably busy to figure out how to avoid paying for the broken window...
  • Like 1

So, reaction from all you guys claiming it was a setup to collect insurance money?

A new theory. He's getting divorced and the loss of the 30 mill represents his entire worth. Come divorce day "Sorry baby I have no money, not a solitary baht to split with you."

You guys don't get it there are plenty of people running around with large amounts of stuff like this, you don't walk in off the street and get an insurance policy to cover this sort of stuff but by prior negotiation you will get coverage for just about anything, you tell them what you want, how the goods are stored, how many days a year you are on the road, peak amount of goods carried as well as average goods carried...insurers come back with a price, you take the policy or you don't.

I don't know what His insurance covers or even if the guy has any insurance and neither does anyone else here, all this speculation is pointless.

You guys don't get it there are plenty of people running around with large amounts of stuff like this, you don't walk in off the street and get an insurance policy to cover this sort of stuff but by prior negotiation you will get coverage for just about anything, you tell them what you want, how the goods are stored, how many days a year you are on the road, peak amount of goods carried as well as average goods carried...insurers come back with a price, you take the policy or you don't.

I don't know what His insurance covers or even if the guy has any insurance and neither does anyone else here, all this speculation is pointless.

From the above article.
Thongsak Chintakarroek explained that he had brought his finest jewelry down for the fair and that none of it was insured.

“I chose all of my best jewelry from the shop for the fair, but it wasn’t insured,” he said.

“I believe that the police will catch the thieves soon,” he added.

Mr Thongsak was doubtful he would be able to identify any of the thieves.

post-123755-0-22766200-1336996382_thumb.

If this isn't an inside Job, then Michael Jackson is still alive and is performing under the pseudonym 'Lady Giggle'... Would check the Farang boyfriends of any employed staff for a start. Steveni's divorce theory is also nice and most likely closest to the truth - well thought through clap2.gif

If this isn't an inside Job, then Michael Jackson is still alive and is performing under the pseudonym 'Lady Giggle'... Would check the Farang boyfriends of any employed staff for a start. Steveni's divorce theory is also nice and most likely closest to the truth - well thought through clap2.gif

Who's theory?

Yes the divorce theory defiantly looks like the best bet now, shame about jewellery not being insured the insurance scam would have been a more plausible theory for the typical TV detective’s

who would carry 30m worth of jewelry and still own an avenza?

Someone smart enough to invest their money in something that increases in value, instead of an automobile. Big face has big car & big loan), while a wealthy person has a cheap car (paid for)...

As for 30M (jewelry or cash = no difference) that was stupid, but definitely required inside knowledge - scam - perhaps...

your sir have failed kindergarten... many times.

Anyone with enough money will buy a nice car that will save themselves from dying if some idiots drives into them. With an avanza you risk of being completely annihilated by a nissan march and possibly an honda wave

Ummmmm why would anyone in their right mind leave something of that much value unattended in a car? Unless, it's heavily insured or unless your wife just had to have toliet paper from big C and told you to stop on your way home...maybe.. Something just isn't right with this shananagan.

Phuket Police dragnet fails to recover B30mn in stolen jewelry

10 meters is about 12 steps. Nevermind the alarm. The sound of a window exploding from impact is quite loud and if they were in a noodle shop, aren't noodle shops outdoors? How could they not hear the window explode from impact?

Why did the tourist police show up with the regular police?

If the police know the 3 perps followed the man to the hotel, then checked-in, what is the delay? Did they not show passports at the hotel? Is there no CCTV footage from the hotel? Has their embassy been alerted and their passports flagged?

If there is no video of the 3 breaking the window, and the alarm did not sound, perhaps the car was not locked in which case the window may have been broken after the fact (or before) in an effort to misdirect or save face. So, how did the OP know the window was broken with an umbrella?

What sort of insurance would cover Baht 30 million in jewelry left in a car parked in an insecure location? Insurance companies are in business to fleece their clients not hand out cash like a broken slot machine.

Someone walking into an insurance agents asking for coverage for B30 million auto insurance or property insurance would certainly raise some warning signals and if the insurance were issued, it would be awash in security requirements.

Just checked my truck insurance and it only covers 20 million in jewellery, or 10 in cash! :D

I think it was stolen before it was supposedly in the car!

blank.gif

Canadians arrested over B30m heist

UPDATE: Police have arrested three Canadian men suspected of stealing B30 million worth of jewellery this morning.

Monday 14 May 2012, 02:43PM

1336981387_1.jpg

The car that thieves allegedly broke into.

Police said the men had driven out of Phuket after the brazen robbery, heading to Trang province where they were apparently preparing to flee from Thailand to Malaysia.

The three were reportedly arrested while still in possession of the jewellery.

Police are tonight transferring the men back to Phuket to face questioning, and are expected to release more details at a press conference tomorrow.

The men are suspected of smashing a car window this morning (May 14) and stealing a suitcase full of jewellery worth B30 million.

The incident took place on Soi Bang Yai, behind the Big C department store near Central Festival in Phuket Town.

The owner of the jewellery, Thongsak Jittakarnlert, 47, reported to police that his car was being followed by a white Vios last night (May 13), after he left a jewellery fair at Central Festival.

The stolen jewellery, made from gold, diamonds and other precious gems, was transported from Bangkok to be displayed at the fair, which began on May 10.

Mr Thongsak said that before the robbery he parked his car in front of a small local restaurant, just 100 meteres from his hotel, Baan Suan Place, while he had breakfast.

The thieves, believed to be a male and two females, took this opportunity to break the car’s window and take the jewellery, police said.

CCTV camera footage showed a male and a female foreigner repeatedly walking past Mr Thongsak’s hotel room last night.

Camera footage from a different angle showed the same foreign man walking into the hotel with another female foreigner. The three were not staying at the hotel, staff confirmed.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/canadians-arrested-over-b30m-heist-30599.php

-- The Phuket News

Edited by Guest
source added /Admin

The police investigation has already revealed that the three foreigners followed Mr Thongsak back to his hotel last night and checked in there.blank.gif

The three were not staying at the hotel, staff confirmed.

laugh.png

rotfl - ever tried to whack a secuglass window with a crowbar? now try it with a 120 thb umbrella from 7/11 *lol* better try the rainshirt wrapped around your wrist.... thats only 29b =)))

blank.gif

Canadians arrested over B30m heist

UPDATE: Police have arrested three Canadian men suspected of stealing B30 million worth of jewellery this morning.

AS I thought, everyone who said it was an insurance scam were wrong - lol