BANGKOK 25 March 2019 03:19
Sign in to follow this  
Southern Style

Palm Oil Or Rubber

Hi everyone,

My Thai wife,myself and our kids are looking at moving back to Nakhon Si Thammarat after living in Australia for the last 15 years. Can anyone tell me if they are currently farming rubber or palm oil and do they think it is worth while doing?

I am new to this forum so am sorry if this question has been asked before.

thanks

Hi everyone,

My Thai wife,myself and our kids are looking at moving back to Nakhon Si Thammarat after living in Australia for the last 15 years. Can anyone tell me if they are currently farming rubber or palm oil and do they think it is worth while doing?

I am new to this forum so am sorry if this question has been asked before.

thanks

Personally, I would go for rubber, the price of natural rubber is rising, due to the rising costs of petroleum products natural rubber will become more desirable. Also, once the tree is no longer producing so much rubber the trees are cut down and used for lumber, makes some very nice furniture.

Natural Rubber

"Personally, I would go for rubber, the price of natural rubber is rising, due to the rising costs of petroleum products natural rubber will become more desirable. Also, once the tree is no longer producing so much rubber the trees are cut down and used for lumber, makes some very nice furniture."

I agree with the choice of rubber trees...One other consideration is that palm oil trees are very hard on the land and leave it very depleted...

We currently have started 1,500 rubber trees on our farm north of Udon Thani...About half are 2 1/2 yrs old and the balance have been in the ground about 3 - 4 months. We are installing a drip irrigation system on the new ruberr trees to see how much better they grow with water year round..

Hi SS.

Welcome to the forum :o

How much land were you thinking of planting?

Good link sbk, thanks.

Rubber is the way to go, prices are really good.

Very intensive labour though, very early days............

"Personally, I would go for rubber, the price of natural rubber is rising, due to the rising costs of petroleum products natural rubber will become more desirable. Also, once the tree is no longer producing so much rubber the trees are cut down and used for lumber, makes some very nice furniture."

I agree with the choice of rubber trees...One other consideration is that palm oil trees are very hard on the land and leave it very depleted...

We currently have started 1,500 rubber trees on our farm north of Udon Thani...About half are 2 1/2 yrs old and the balance have been in the ground about 3 - 4 months. We are installing a drip irrigation system on the new ruberr trees to see how much better they grow with water year round..

Thanks for your input. Our Thai family have been telling us that rubber is the better choice for the same reasons. It is just good to hear this from an outside source.

SS

Hi SS.

Welcome to the forum :o

Good link sbk, thanks.

Thanks Udon. Got a strange feeling that this forum is going to become very addictive.

Looking at 40 - 50 Rai in total. We are still trying to decide whether to plant or buy established farms. We have been told of a few farms that are for sale at the moment so when we come on holidays in Jan we will check them out.

SS

Hi SS.

Welcome to the forum :D

Good link sbk, thanks.

Thanks Udon. Got a strange feeling that this forum is going to become very addictive.

Looking at 40 - 50 Rai in total. We are still trying to decide whether to plant or buy established farms. We have been told of a few farms that are for sale at the moment so when we come on holidays in Jan we will check them out.

SS

Ok, you may want to look at the Kasikorn bank website for land forclosures, might find a bargain, sorry I don't have the full url to hand. :o

Hi SS.

Welcome to the forum :D

Good link sbk, thanks.

SS

Ok, you may want to look at the Kasikorn bank website for land forclosures, might find a bargain, sorry I don't have the full url to hand. :o

Checked out your advice with Kasikorn bank. Absolutely no bargains to be had there. Don't know how they sell anything with the prices they are asking. Thanks for the advice, although not a winner, still much appreciated.

SS

If you are coming in January and you wife is from Nakon Si Tammarat then i would recommend you go to Trang to find your bargin i have recently brought land myself and there are some very good deals to be had with established trees or land alone. I will speak to my wife this evening and see what she can find out.

[ can rubber plants be grown anywhere or does the soil have to be of a special type..???

there are some very good deals to be had with established trees or land alone

Hi Moonhunter.

Could you expand on the deal you got?

How many rai, location & how much?

cheers

[  can rubber plants be grown anywhere or does the soil have to be of a special type..???

Can be grown in most areas - but - climate and soil conditions tend to be better suited in thailands south.

Issan soil quality and drought areas come into question too. many issan rubber plantations will have a lower yeild than their southern counterparts due to drought - of course this can be overcome by irrigating the trees via a bore hole, pump and drip system.

I understand that some issan farmers will also plant all sorts of other crops amongst the rubber trees to maximize a return whilst the rubber is slow to produce - whereas ive read that in the south, plantations are being constantly weeded to maximize light, water and soil nutrients to the rubber only....

I guess if you can find rubber being farmed in surin... then the soil is good enough, and providing youre prepared to invest you could always throw money at the project and add fertilizers etc to the soil to give your trees the best start.

[  can rubber plants be grown anywhere or does the soil have to be of a special type..???

Can be grown in most areas - but - climate and soil conditions tend to be better suited in thailands south.

Issan soil quality and drought areas come into question too. many issan rubber plantations will have a lower yeild than their southern counterparts due to drought - of course this can be overcome by irrigating the trees via a bore hole, pump and drip system.

I understand that some issan farmers will also plant all sorts of other crops amongst the rubber trees to maximize a return whilst the rubber is slow to produce - whereas ive read that in the south, plantations are being constantly weeded to maximize light, water and soil nutrients to the rubber only....

I guess if you can find rubber being farmed in surin... then the soil is good enough, and providing youre prepared to invest you could always throw money at the project and add fertilizers etc to the soil to give your trees the best start.

who said i was farming in surin.....???? :o

who said i was farming in surin.....???? :o

noted - you didnt say anything about surin - but brizol aint warm enough... as confirmed here

"Climatic factors

Hevea brasiliensis is a tropical tree. It grows best at temperatures of 20-28°C with a well-distributed annual rainfall of 1,800-2,000 mm. It grows satisfactorily up to 600 metres above sea level (but is capable of growing much higher - to at least 1000 metres near the Equator), and will perform on most soils provided drainage is adequate. Hevea tends to be damaged by high winds. Its required temperature and rainfall define its prime growing area as between the 10° latitudes on either side of the equator, but is cultivated much further north (Guatemala, Mexico and China) and south (Sao Paulo region of Brazil)"