Palm Oil Or Rubber

Southern Style

Yes hansen,

it is this one! Gridsanaah! is the name in Thai. The link you sent was also very helpfull, because I found there again an official webpage www.agarwoodthailand.com written in thai, but that is no problem because my wife is Thai.

Edited by Ramses

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. The trees frequently become infected with a parasite fungus or mold, Phialophora parasitica, and begin to produce an aromatic resin, in response to this attack.

Used chiefly for Incense for the Mind - during meditation, Agarwood is highly psychoactive. It is used for spiritual journey, enlightenment, clarity and grounding. Buddhists use it for transmutation of ignorance. Tibetan monks use it to bring energy to the centre and calm the mind and spirit. The Sufis use Agarwood oil in their esoteric ceremonies and Japanese Shamans use it for its psychoactive properties. It enchances mental clarity and opens the third eye as well as all of the upper charkas. It is recommended by experienced practitioners for providing motivation and devotion to meditation. It brings communication with the transcendent, refreshes the mind and body, drives away evil spirits, takes away exhaustion, removes impurities, expels negative energies, brings alertness, relieves anxiety, invokes a sense of strength and peace, creating natural order in your sacred living areas, enhances cerebral functioning, calms the nervous system, remedies nervous disorders such as neurosis, obsessive behaviour, etc., and it is a companion in solitude. It is said that prayers arise with the fragrant smoke of Agarwood incense carrying the prayer to the Creator.

Agarwood comes in solid or liquid form. Solids are only solid at room temperature, and if warmed slightly, it turns to mobile liquid. It is an anti-asthmatic and can be applied directly to the skin as it is non-irritating. The oil is very tenacious and only the tiniest of drops is needed to fill the air with its soul evoking aroma. It is a complex aroma with many nuances, deep and ethereal. The aroma takes about 12 hours to unfold and it will last on the skin for more than a day, and if placed on any material, the scent can last for months. It can be used as a perfume, an aroma therapy and an essential oil or as an aid for the deepest meditation. This frgarance will unlock the subconscious and allow you to go deep into your memories. The resin is also used in perfumery, Yves Saint Laurent and Amouage use Agarwood in their top perfumes as a base.

The National Rubber Day to be held in Rayong from April 5-10.

Deputy Permanent Secretary of the Agriculture Ministry Chakarn Sangraksawong (ฉกรรจ์ แสงรักษาวงศ์) expressed belief that the use of eastern provinces to show potential in rubber plantation in the National Rubber Exhibition will boost strength in the industry and invite investors to invest more in the country.

Mr. Chakarn said that the National Rubber Exhibition will be held on April 5-10 in Rayong, corresponding to the cabinet resolution which set April 10 as the National Rubber Day. He said that this year, the ministry decided to hold the event in Rayong, the eastern province with the highest rubber output.

He said that investors from more than 30 countries, farmer, state agencies, and entrepreneurs will visit the event to exchange ideas, adding that rubber will be sold for cheap prices. He said that the event is likely to bring in more foreign investors to Thailand.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 15 March 2006

Also this site shows at the bottom a reference on Dr. Robert Blanchette. Mybe it is worth to conect right to him.

The Agarwood I will keep in mind, and do some more research on it. But always open for some other ideas too.

Of interest to people who follow the Biodiesel thread

ASA and NBB Applaud Legislation to Extend Biodiesel Tax Incentive

Senators Grassley and Baucus introduce bill to offer tax incentive through 2010

SAINT LOUIS, Mo. – The National Biodiesel Board (NBB) and American Soybean Association (ASA) praised today Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-IA) and Ranking Member Max Baucus (D-MT) for introducing legislation to extend the biodiesel tax incentive. The Grassley/Baucus bill, S. 2401, extends popular alternative energy tax incentives, such as the biodiesel excise and income tax incentive for biodiesel and biodiesel blends. It also gives a one-year extension until 2010 to a tax credit for the cost of installing pumps that offer a 20 percent blend of biodiesel (B20).

Last year, NBB and ASA achieved their Number 1 legislative goal when the landmark Energy Bill extended the biodiesel tax incentive to 2008. “We are pleased to again see bipartisan Congressional support for biodiesel,” said ASA President Bob Metz, a soybean producer from West Browns Valley, S.D. “Senator Grassley and Baucus are building on the success of the biodiesel tax incentives to help soybean farmers and rural economies as well as America’s energy security and environment.”

Darryl Brinkmann, chairman of NBB and a soybean producer from Carlyle, Ill., said that biodiesel and soybean leaders have already seen the results of the biodiesel tax incentive. Last year, U.S. biodiesel production tripled to 75 million gallons. “Passage of the tax incentive gave the biodiesel industry the confidence to grow as we work to keep up with the skyrocketing demand for biodiesel,” Brinkmann said. “Consumers across the nation have benefited because the biodiesel tax incentive has helped make biodiesel more cost competitive.”

By amending the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, the Grassley/Baucus bill would:

Biodiesel and Alternative Fuel Excise Tax Credit: Extend the biodiesel excise and income tax credit for biodiesel and biodiesel blends until December 31, 2010. The credit was originally established as part of the American JOBS Creation Act of 2004 (H.R. 4520), which President Bush signed into law in October 2004. The credit was extended from 2006 until 2008 when President Bush signed the Energy Bill on August 8, 2005. The excise tax credit amounts to a penny per percentage point of biodiesel blended with petroleum diesel for “agri-biodiesel,” such as that made from soybean oil, and a half-penny per percentage for biodiesel made from other sources, like recycled cooking oil. It lowers the cost of biodiesel to consumers in taxable and tax exempt markets.

Credit for Refueling Property: Extend for one-year a 30 percent tax credit, enacted in the Energy Policy Act of 2005, for the cost of installing clean-fuel vehicle refueling property. Clean fuels include biodiesel blends of 20 percent or more as well as ethanol and hydrogen.

Biodiesel has become America’s fastest growing alternative fuel according to the Department of Energy. More than 600 filling stations make biodiesel available to the public, and 1,500 petroleum distributors carry it nationwide. More than 600 fleets use biodiesel, including government and military, commercial and school bus fleets.

Based in Jefferson City, Mo., NBB is a nonprofit trade association coordinating the industry and educating the public about biodiesel. ASA serves as the collective policy voice of 25,000 U.S. soybean producers on national issues important to all U.S. soybean farmers.

I found a site by Dr. Robert Blanchette that tells you almost every thing that you want to know about agarwood production. Don't have it with me right now. Will post it here in the next day or so

• 3 weeks later...

For some odd reason California has made it difficult for bio-diesel in the state so this story is interesting.

"A biodiesel fuel coop in California has opened a pump that will sell a high blend of biodiesel made from California walnut oil. The USA Palisades Gas & Wash in Pacific Palisades is the first station in Los Angeles County with B99.9 at the retail pump. It opened on National Biodiesel Day, March 18.

The fuel is retailing at $3.49 per gallon. It is produced by Imperial Western Products, a California company that recently became an accredited producer under the industry’s quality assurance program.

“We are nuts about this pump,” said Kent Bullard, co-founder of the Los Angeles Biodiesel Coop. “It’s a local venture for our community. Locally available fuel at the commercial pump, made from local agricultural oils and locally manufactured. It doesn’t get any better than this.”

The station is open seven days a week, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., but as required by the station’s variance, sales will only be authorized to members of the Los Angeles Biodiesel Coop or to members of the Southern California Biodiesel Users Group.

For more, visit http://www.biodiesel-coop.org. To see other pumps nationwide, visit http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/r...ingsites."

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

My Thai wife,myself and our kids are looking at moving back to Nakhon Si Thammarat after living in Australia for the last 15 years. Can anyone tell me if they are currently farming rubber or palm oil and do they think it is worth while doing?

I am new to this forum so am sorry if this question has been asked before.

thanks

Im moving to Nakhon next week to live for a year or so. I have planted palm trees on my 130 Rai as I think it will be a very valuable fuel source in the years to come. Since I planted the trees, we had severe flooding and they have come through with flying colours.

I paid 20 k per Rai for my farm, so at least that will go you a measuring stick on the area prices.

I have not read through the thread, so Im not sure if you have stated where you are moving to - please let me know as we might be able to get together for a chat.

I hope it all works out well for you. :o

Tornado, when did you buy the land? Last year? Did it have anything agricultural already growing on it or was the land forest or open fields? I'm curious because I suspect that land is cheaper when there is nothing growing on it that can be immediately cultivated. I have heard of many southern thais converting rice fields into rubber or palm farms. Is this what you are doing?

Tornado, when did you buy the land? Last year? Did it have anything agricultural already growing on it or was the land forest or open fields? I'm curious because I suspect that land is cheaper when there is nothing growing on it that can be immediately cultivated. I have heard of many southern thais converting rice fields into rubber or palm farms. Is this what you are doing?

Yes Donx, I bought just land, although some of it is rice fields, the majority was grazing land (open fields) and there was a few rai of prawn farms - a mixed bag really.

When we were looking for land last year in Phatthalung, we found prices for land of 35,000 to 50,000 baht per rai when the land was currently producing rubber. As I've stated in another thread, this land does not have a chanote title. Instead my wife says it is Sor Tor Gor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone

Im new to this and would appreciate any advice you may have.

I have just bought 15 ri in Nong Yow (300.000 bht), 8 Ri have rubber trees at 4 year old. My partner’s father owns 35 ri and he will look after our 15. My partner has 5 ri all with trees 5 yo. She has been telling me to invest in the rubber tree industry. I have done it now, did I get a good deal? Can I make money?

Thanks

Jeff

Hey everyone

I have just bought 15 ri in Nong Yow (300.000 bht), 8 Ri have rubber trees at 4 year old. My partner’s father owns 35 ri and he will look after our 15. My partner has 5 ri all with trees 5 yo. She has been telling me to invest in the rubber tree industry. I have done it now, did I get a good deal? Can I make money?

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff - It sounds like a good price. As long as it isn't on a rocky hill top. Rubber normally starts producing around 7 seven years and yields increase to 10 or 12. The price is about a 100 baht per kg right now. The future for rubber looks pretty good for at lease 10 years. India and China's needs for rubber is growing. Only downside is that there isn't enough rubber and come up with a substitute. You are good for a while. You will need someone to harvest and it seems like you have that under control. The harvester processer generally gets about 50% of the take. If you have reasonable land you can gross around 3000 baht per rai. There are lots of down days. These are all estimates and there are ways to increase and decrease produtuction.

Hey everyone

Thanks

Jeff

China into rubber

China emerging a key rubber producer in Asia

Aravindan

Kottayam , Feb. 11

FROM an average rubber producer a few years ago, China has now emerged as a leading rubber-producing country in Asia with a total planted area of 625,600 hectares under rubber and production of around 500,000 tonnes in 2003 according to Mr Thomas Ouseph , a senior rubber consultant and former Secretary of Rubber Board.China is the fifth largest rubber producer in the world after India, which produced 670,000 tonnes during the year with a total planted area of 570,000 hectares, he said.

Though there are many favourable factors for rubber cultivation, Chinese production is low compared to India mainly on account of cold climate and frequent occurrence of typhoons. While the cold climate retards plant growth, typhoons cause trunk and branch snaps and even uprooting the whole tree at times.

Speaking to Business Line Mr Ouseph, who recently returned from China after a study tour, said Chinese average productivity of rubber at 1140 kg per hectare is low compared to India's 1575 kg, but it is better than Indonesia's 700 kg, mainly on account of systematic planting and better plantation maintenance. Though China has developed cold resistant variety of rubber plants, these occupy only about 1 per cent of the planted area as the productivity is low. Major clones planted are the Malaysian clone RRIM 600 and the Indonesia clones PR 107 and GT1.

Thanks for the info. The farm i bought is established and near a road, i believe that’s a bonus. I will be in Thailand early next year and although i will be spending most of my time in Bung Kahn i would appreciate (and i know this is cheeky) if I could visit someone who knows the pros and cons. I am thinking about expanding the farm etc but I think I will wait until I come over.

Jeff - It sounds like a good price. As long as it isn't on a rocky hill top. Rubber normally starts producing around 7 seven years and yields increase to 10 or 12. The price is about a 100 baht per kg right now. The future for rubber looks pretty good for at lease 10 years. India and China's needs for rubber is growing. Only downside is that there isn't enough rubber and come up with a substitute. You are good for a while. You will need someone to harvest and it seems like you have that under control. The harvester processer generally gets about 50% of the take. If you have reasonable land you can gross around 3000 baht per rai. There are lots of down days. These are all estimates and there are ways to increase and decrease produtuction.

Hey everyone

Thanks

Jeff

I would like to know if there is a site also. I just call up the sister-in-law to find out. You are right it is around 100 baht per kg now. Rubber trees and oil palm have always been a tough decision to make on what to plant. The prices between them used to go up and down a lot. Once the Thai government gets its act together the oil palm price should go up. I don't think the Thai government has a lot of knowledge about oil palm or biodiesel. China is planting lots of rubber tree plantations although it isn't the best place to grow rubber. The need for rubber is growing dramatically in both India and China so you can't go wrong. Just be careful about getting too big too fast without control. As a matter of course you will have to put a lot of trust in other people, and their priorities

may be different than yours.

Hi Sproket,

here is a Site where you can check the Rubberprices.

Actually it is at about 106 Baht/kg. Pretty high.

I ve got a rubberfarm too. But not ready to harvest.

A friend of mine from Denmark has got a Farm and he

forecasted this price. And he says with china and india growing the

price is going to be at about 200 B/kg in the next 5 to 10 years.

So here is the site: http://www.irco.biz/s0107/index.php?pgid=0009

regards also to timber. Back again Timber? Or still in your homecountry?

Edited by Ramses

[quote name='Ramses'

Thanks for the site Ramses. Yeah, just went there for a holiday and

to see mother. I forget how clean and pure it is there. With the resource

economy going wild lots of money to be made for at least 5 years.

Yes thanks Ramses

I will have 5 rai ready for rubber in 2 years then another 8 rai producing in 4 years. At present the other 7 rai have rice but I will try to sort out planting next May (ish). I was looking and can buy new trees for 12 bht. 3000 bht for planting 7 rai. Also the land needs fertilising twice a year.

What part of the world are you and Timber from?

I am in New Zealand.

Jeff

I am from the bush in British Columbia. We have just a small area of plantation and the wife's sister and brother have plantations near Chumphon. Have lots of relatives with plantations also. They're making pretty good money right now off of rubber. Her sister is getting over 20,000 baht per month on 7 rai with more coming on stream in a couple of years. A lot of problems with thai's planting on rice fields. They think that because they can see water the trees should be ok. A good drip irrigation system is a good idea. You can kill two birds. Controlled water and fertiliziation. You will pay for it on a good site with increase in production at today's prices. Use some common sense and do some homework on the internet. Normally the advice you will get is marginally. You normally have to dig drainage ditiches to keep the water table down a lot of the year. That then draines the raised land too much the rest of the year.

I planted this year 20 Rai. And I am going to buy next your about 40 Rai ready to cut.

Take care what kind of trees you buy. Dont look to much at the price. I payed about 17 Baht per

tree but already 70cm high. By the way I am from Germany and Timber has to tell it by himself.

My trees are about 2,50cm high right now with an extreme increase in size and only about ten of my 1800 trees died until now. It was worth to pay the better quality. There are many different kind of trees with a different productivity and resistance against different kind of deseases.

I found a Internetadress with a lot of Information, listing all kinds of trees with numbers of productivity per tree per tap. Also showing the best way to plant them. If I find it on one of my computer, I am going to post it. Where in Thailand are you having your trees?

Regards

My Partner is from Bung Khan so my plantation is there. Bung Khan in north east on the Mekong. Land seems quite cheap at the moment but this may be due to soil and climate. Homework tells me it is on the rise though. Do you both have ltd co or have full ownership in your partners name? I am a teacher so the plan is to work in of the costal cities for 35/40 k month and have the rubber to top up to western income. I know, a medium risk but i think worth th outlay.