BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Southern Style

Palm Oil Or Rubber

Great thread wish I would have found this earlier.

Agreed, and Timber is a master at digging up good info. :o

Jeff - It sounds like a good price. As long as it isn't on a rocky hill top. Rubber normally starts producing around 7 seven years and yields increase to 10 or 12. The price is about a 100 baht per kg right now. The future for rubber looks pretty good for at lease 10 years. India and China's needs for rubber is growing. Only downside is that there isn't enough rubber and come up with a substitute. You are good for a while. You will need someone to harvest and it seems like you have that under control. The harvester processer generally gets about 50% of the take. If you have reasonable land you can gross around 3000 baht per rai. There are lots of down days. These are all estimates and there are ways to increase and decrease produtuction.

Hey everyone

Im new to this and would appreciate any advice you may have.

I have just bought 15 ri in Nong Yow (300.000 bht), 8 Ri have rubber trees at 4 year old. My partner’s father owns 35 ri and he will look after our 15. My partner has 5 ri all with trees 5 yo. She has been telling me to invest in the rubber tree industry. I have done it now, did I get a good deal? Can I make money?

Thanks

Jeff

China into rubber

China emerging a key rubber producer in Asia

Aravindan

Kottayam , Feb. 11

FROM an average rubber producer a few years ago, China has now emerged as a leading rubber-producing country in Asia with a total planted area of 625,600 hectares under rubber and production of around 500,000 tonnes in 2003 according to Mr Thomas Ouseph , a senior rubber consultant and former Secretary of Rubber Board.China is the fifth largest rubber producer in the world after India, which produced 670,000 tonnes during the year with a total planted area of 570,000 hectares, he said.

Though there are many favourable factors for rubber cultivation, Chinese production is low compared to India mainly on account of cold climate and frequent occurrence of typhoons. While the cold climate retards plant growth, typhoons cause trunk and branch snaps and even uprooting the whole tree at times.

Speaking to Business Line Mr Ouseph, who recently returned from China after a study tour, said Chinese average productivity of rubber at 1140 kg per hectare is low compared to India's 1575 kg, but it is better than Indonesia's 700 kg, mainly on account of systematic planting and better plantation maintenance. Though China has developed cold resistant variety of rubber plants, these occupy only about 1 per cent of the planted area as the productivity is low. Major clones planted are the Malaysian clone RRIM 600 and the Indonesia clones PR 107 and GT1.

Thanks for the info. The farm i bought is established and near a road, i believe that’s a bonus. I will be in Thailand early next year and although i will be spending most of my time in Bung Kahn i would appreciate (and i know this is cheeky) if I could visit someone who knows the pros and cons. I am thinking about expanding the farm etc but I think I will wait until I come over.

Jeff - It sounds like a good price. As long as it isn't on a rocky hill top. Rubber normally starts producing around 7 seven years and yields increase to 10 or 12. The price is about a 100 baht per kg right now. The future for rubber looks pretty good for at lease 10 years. India and China's needs for rubber is growing. Only downside is that there isn't enough rubber and come up with a substitute. You are good for a while. You will need someone to harvest and it seems like you have that under control. The harvester processer generally gets about 50% of the take. If you have reasonable land you can gross around 3000 baht per rai. There are lots of down days. These are all estimates and there are ways to increase and decrease produtuction.

Hey everyone

Im new to this and would appreciate any advice you may have.

I have just bought 15 ri in Nong Yow (300.000 bht), 8 Ri have rubber trees at 4 year old. My partner’s father owns 35 ri and he will look after our 15. My partner has 5 ri all with trees 5 yo. She has been telling me to invest in the rubber tree industry. I have done it now, did I get a good deal? Can I make money?

Thanks

Jeff

Is there a site i can look at the rubber prices to date ? I think it's about 100 bht per k now.

I would like to know if there is a site also. I just call up the sister-in-law to find out. You are right it is around 100 baht per kg now. Rubber trees and oil palm have always been a tough decision to make on what to plant. The prices between them used to go up and down a lot. Once the Thai government gets its act together the oil palm price should go up. I don't think the Thai government has a lot of knowledge about oil palm or biodiesel. China is planting lots of rubber tree plantations although it isn't the best place to grow rubber. The need for rubber is growing dramatically in both India and China so you can't go wrong. Just be careful about getting too big too fast without control. As a matter of course you will have to put a lot of trust in other people, and their priorities

may be different than yours.

Hi Sproket,

here is a Site where you can check the Rubberprices.

Actually it is at about 106 Baht/kg. Pretty high.

I ve got a rubberfarm too. But not ready to harvest.

A friend of mine from Denmark has got a Farm and he

forecasted this price. And he says with china and india growing the

price is going to be at about 200 B/kg in the next 5 to 10 years.

So here is the site: http://www.irco.biz/s0107/index.php?pgid=0009

regards also to timber. Back again Timber? Or still in your homecountry?

Edited by Ramses

[quote name='Ramses'

Thanks for the site Ramses. Yeah, just went there for a holiday and

to see mother. I forget how clean and pure it is there. With the resource

economy going wild lots of money to be made for at least 5 years.

Yes thanks Ramses

I will have 5 rai ready for rubber in 2 years then another 8 rai producing in 4 years. At present the other 7 rai have rice but I will try to sort out planting next May (ish). I was looking and can buy new trees for 12 bht. 3000 bht for planting 7 rai. Also the land needs fertilising twice a year.

What part of the world are you and Timber from?

I am in New Zealand.

Jeff

I am from the bush in British Columbia. We have just a small area of plantation and the wife's sister and brother have plantations near Chumphon. Have lots of relatives with plantations also. They're making pretty good money right now off of rubber. Her sister is getting over 20,000 baht per month on 7 rai with more coming on stream in a couple of years. A lot of problems with thai's planting on rice fields. They think that because they can see water the trees should be ok. A good drip irrigation system is a good idea. You can kill two birds. Controlled water and fertiliziation. You will pay for it on a good site with increase in production at today's prices. Use some common sense and do some homework on the internet. Normally the advice you will get is marginally. You normally have to dig drainage ditiches to keep the water table down a lot of the year. That then draines the raised land too much the rest of the year.

I planted this year 20 Rai. And I am going to buy next your about 40 Rai ready to cut.

Take care what kind of trees you buy. Dont look to much at the price. I payed about 17 Baht per

tree but already 70cm high. By the way I am from Germany and Timber has to tell it by himself.

My trees are about 2,50cm high right now with an extreme increase in size and only about ten of my 1800 trees died until now. It was worth to pay the better quality. There are many different kind of trees with a different productivity and resistance against different kind of deseases.

I found a Internetadress with a lot of Information, listing all kinds of trees with numbers of productivity per tree per tap. Also showing the best way to plant them. If I find it on one of my computer, I am going to post it. Where in Thailand are you having your trees?

Regards

My Partner is from Bung Khan so my plantation is there. Bung Khan in north east on the Mekong. Land seems quite cheap at the moment but this may be due to soil and climate. Homework tells me it is on the rise though. Do you both have ltd co or have full ownership in your partners name? I am a teacher so the plan is to work in of the costal cities for 35/40 k month and have the rubber to top up to western income. I know, a medium risk but i think worth th outlay.

have much rubber can you get from one tree pr day/week/year, in south thailand ??