BANGKOK 25 May 2019 02:22
Sign in to follow this  
Southern Style

Palm Oil Or Rubber

Me and my lady are in the process to buy a little "summerhouse" up in the mountains outside Chiang Rai. It is 20 rai with 200 lumjaytrees and 600 rubbertrees, about 1 year old and 250 cm high in average.

I was not reflecting about the rubbertrees before but after reading this topic I start to understand there might be som work to be done :o but also some good income starting 6-7 years from now :D .

I might also think of buying land next door if the price is right and then plant more rubbertrees.

So I hope this topic will keep alive and we can exchange experiences.

How practical would it be to have a mixed stand of palm oil and rubber?

I have a 27 hectars agarwood plantation in Cambodia. The plantation consists of 67,500 trees. Can anyone direct me to an agent that buys agarwood trees and resin from Cambodia. I have a buyer from the middle-east who wants to buy the trees, but he wants to include the land with the price for the trees. I don't want to loose my land. I just want to sell my trees. I think he knows that because I don't know the agarwood market, he can do whatever he wants. I would appreciated if anybody can direct me to a buyer or the agarwood trading company to see my trees. Please contact me at: artillary081304@yahoo.com

I have learned that each agarwood tree can sell for $500, however I know that the buyer can sell it for a higher price than that . i wish I know how much more so that I can negotiate with the buyer. One hectar can plant 2500 trees, and you can induce the trees by drilling holes (30- 100) in the tree, put some salt, rust, and bacteria (don't which one) into the hole, to produce agarwood.

"27 hectars agarwood plantation in Cambodia"

You may need a large squad of Khmer Rouge to guard that lot.

"27 hectars agarwood plantation in Cambodia"

You may need a large squad of Khmer Rouge to guard that lot.

It is still a young plantation, no agarwood yet. I have to pay people to induce the trees to make agarwood. Plus, there is no dealer for agarwood in Cambodia. I don't see how anybody would sell it because of no contacts.

I think you would have some real problems mixing rubber and oil palm. Better to plant half oil palm and half rubber as per area.

I think you would have some real problems mixing rubber and oil palm. Better to plant half oil palm and half rubber as per area.

I tend to agree with timber altho I have no experience with either oil palm or rubber I do have experience with coconut and they are usually heavy feeders.

The type of growth needs and management are quite a bit different. Harvesting would also be a pain. The government is wondering why they don't have more people growing oil palm for biodiesel. Is very hard to understand what the policy is. Different ministers seem to have different policies. In both Canada and the United States there are technical advisers in the local agricultural and ranching areas to advise the farmers and ranchers on their needs. I think it sure would be a good return on investment for the government to have something like this to tell the small agricultural producers what the hel_l is going on and how the can increase yields and profits. It would also give the government a forum for communicating with these people.

I tend to agree with timber altho I have no experience with either oil palm or rubber I do have experience with coconut and they are usually heavy feeders.

Very good topic . A friend of mine just bought about 35 rai near Udon and he planting rubber trees on it . I've been looking at some things myself and for me i would go for palm oil . The amount of people planting rubber trees is alot so prices are not going to be sustained and it takes to 7 year before the first harvest can be made . Next time i'll be a couple of days on the mainland anywhere in a 3 hour range from Suratthani . Nakhon Si Thammarat and so on are all well within tht area and is a perfect region for palm oil . I will go looking for 20 to 40 rai farm and check some prices out . If i can have a income ( in Thailand from the farm ) let's say in 5 years or something like that , i can easily go live there and once every coupleof weeks go on a weekend holiday . I won't be a rich man but together with my savings it will bring me enough to have a good lifestyle . I'm still looking in some other farming things also , like there are durian ( good value but long waiting times ) pineapple ( don't know much about that but i think fast but less profit ) , etc etc .

Has anyone checked out Jatropha Curcas?

1st harvest in 3 years, an alt. to Palm Oil

Inedible but a great source for Biodiesel.

Ideal for the Isaan climate & poor soil...

The amount of people planting rubber trees is alot so prices are not going to be sustained and it takes to 7 year before the first harvest can be made

Actually, I disagree. Currently most "rubber" products are petroleum products and as the price rises and rises rubber will become a more viable alternative. At this point in time I sincerely doubt there is enough rubber in production to replace even a good percentage of petroleum based products.

Although, you are correct, it does take quite sometime before first harvest for rubber but then that is true for most trees. Even the oil palm takes at least 3 years. Also, one of the benefits of the rubber tree is that after yields decrease the wood is widely used and can be easily sold.