Police Arrest Three Foreigners For Bt30mn Jewelry Heist In Phuket

webfact

When this story first broke I read a great number posters jumping to conclusions based on nothing that this was an insurance scam. Where are all those posters now. It is a sad statement how ridiculous and embarrassing the farangs on this forum really are.

We will not know if it is an insurance scam until the true value of the stolen goods is verified it seems it was indeed a well planned robbery but that does not stop the victim placing an unrealistic value on the stolen goods !!!!!!

We do know it was not an insurance scam, since the victim has declared he has not insured the goods.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First you say '1 foreigner' and then you say '1 falang (foreigner)'. You also mentioned 2 Malay women,

Since when are only farang foreigners? The headline is completely correct.

Hello Mr nitpick ; And usually the concensus in Thailand is, that you got to have white skin, before labelled falang.

Didn't you read that sentence ?

How about cctv footage revealing 3 foreign men ( read article from yesterday ), that now really is 1 foreign male and 1 Thai man and 2 Asian women ?

I have asked around the office, 4 Thais all agreeing that a falang ( foreigner ) must have white skin, and is not Asian.

The Thai word Farang (ฝรั่ง) is not synonymous with the English word foreigner. So 'Mr nitpick' as you put it is correct; 3 foreigners ( 1 Farang, 2 Asians/Malays).

First you say '1 foreigner' and then you say '1 falang (foreigner)'. You also mentioned 2 Malay women,

Hello Mr nitpick ; And usually the concensus in Thailand is, that you got to have white skin, before labelled falang.

How about cctv footage revealing 3 foreign men ( read article from yesterday ), that now really is 1 foreign male and 1 Thai man and 2 Asian women ?

I have asked around the office, 4 Thais all agreeing that a falang ( foreigner ) must have white skin, and is not Asian.

IMHO, we are discussing two separate issues - race/ethnicity and nationality/citizenship. The Thai term "farang" (ฝรั่ง) generally refers to race/ethnicity, especially physical features, and can include both Whites and Blacks. An ethnic Japanese person who holds USA citizenship would not be referred to as a "farang" by a Thai-speaker, but Black Americans may be referred to as "farang."

A

IMHO, we are discussing two separate issues - race/ethnicity and nationality/citizenship. The Thai term "farang" (ฝรั่ง) generally refers to race/ethnicity, especially physical features, and can include both Whites and Blacks. An ethnic Japanese person who holds USA citizenship would not be referred to as a "farang" by a Thai-speaker, but Black Americans may be referred to as "farang."

A person who is not a Thai citizen is known as a "khon tang chat" (คนต่างชาติ).

“While the police officers were questioning the suspects, one of the Malaysian woman, the large one, asked to use the bathroom at the police station.

“But she ended up running away from the station. We are now searching for her,” Col Jakkrapan said.

It's always the large one isn't it? rolleyes.gif

Was she the one with the umbrella?

• Like 1

The case involved 3 foreigners - they said in the headline "foreigners" and thats correct.

The original report also mentioned 3 foreigners, but obviously when they actually arrested the gang on the way to Malaysia, the fourth person became known - so its reasonable to assume -if the report is correct - that the actual robbery was committed by the 3 foreigners, and the fourth person was the Thai man.

Its also true to say that the term "farang" normally means a white (or European) person, not an Asian (for Asians they use the country name), the above report does not mention "farang" at all, and I dont recall completely, but I dont think the original article did (although I may be wrong).

• Like 1

“While the police officers were questioning the suspects, one of the Malaysian woman, the large one, asked to use the bathroom at the police station.

“But she ended up running away from the station. We are now searching for her,” Col Jakkrapan said.

She probably put her weight behind it.

Didn't you read the article? It says FOREIGNERS, not falang. Anyone who is not Thai is a foreigner in Thailand - Europeans, North Americans, Africans, and yes, Asians.

YOU are the one saying that foreigner = falang, which is simply not true. Your coworkers might agree that a "falang" has white skin, but that's not the same as a foreigner. Those two words are not completely interchangeable.

The 2 women from Malaysia are foreigners, because they are not from Thailand. It's not that complicated.

It is kinda complicated.

What word does the Thais use for foreigners ?

I would say falang (ฝรั่ง)

And in this case, that word is translated into English to report this story in English speaking news.

Suggesting, if we look at who was arrested, 3 people do not fit that description - only 1 does.

Technically yes, 3 foreigners got arrested and technically then the headline is correct.

Edit : And it still does not explain, that from the original article yesterday, that the police was looking for 3 foreign men.

How can 1 Russian male, 1 Thai male and 2 Asian ( Malay ) women look like 3 foreign men on cctv ?

Edited by peterdk

Foreign Gang Arrested on 30 Million Baht Diamond Heist

30mheist.jpeg

TRANG: -- The highway police have arrested five foreigners who are members of the gang suspected to have stolen more than 30 million baht worth of gems, jewelry, and gold ornaments in Trang Province. However, one female suspect managed to escape.

At around 4:30 PM yesterday in Muang District of Trang Province, the highway police stopped and searched a pickup truck as its passengers appeared suspicious.

There were five passengers on the pickup truck, including three men and two women of Spanish, Malaysian, Turkish, Russian and Thai nationalities.

The police found some diamonds in the car and later learned that they might be members of the gang suspected of having stolen 30 million baht worth of gems, jewelry, and gold ornaments, which were to be exhibited at a jewelry fair at a shopping mall in Phuket Province. An amount of crystal meth was also found on the suspects.

According to Thongsak Jittakarnlerd, the diamond owner, the suspects broke into his car while he was having breakfast and snatched two suitcases containing gems, jewelry, and gold ornaments worth a total of 30 million baht. He has also been contacted by the authority to help confirm the suspects' identities.

However, while being transported to the police station, one female suspect was able to escape.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-05-15

footer_n.gif

>>Good police work? How about routine police work. These perps couldn't have made it any easier for the police.

That's the thing as usually the Bibs are so inept, that when they do something even Inspector Cleaseau (sp) could figure out, they get heaps of praise lauded upon them. I bet the jeweler has to pass out some serious tea money!

When this story first broke I read a great number posters jumping to conclusions based on nothing that this was an insurance scam. Where are all those posters now. It is a sad statement how ridiculous and embarrassing the farangs on this forum really are.

The silence is deafening, isn't it.

Sad mob of boogers.

Most intelligent people don't drive around with a million dollars in their car and stop off for a bite to eat. But who really cares what happen to conspiracy theorist, as there good for laughs.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

what idiots> same person rents both cars!!!

If two separate people had rented two separate cars they would never have been caught.

and the police were not much better

According to Thongsak Jittakarnlerd, the diamond owner, the suspects broke into his car while he was having breakfast and snatched two suitcases containing gems, jewelry, and gold ornaments worth a total of 30 million baht.

This bothers me, I have lived here over 25 years an never anything stolen out of my car and I never lock it , so they must have know him or that he was carrying Jewelry or....

AS to Farang (ฝรั่ง) vs Foreigner vs Falang. (??) Why nit pick.

ie they should just say NOT THAI and be done with it

Edited by phuketrichard

Agree with you, a farang has white skin. I am not contesting that at all, what I am contesting is your conclusion that the header is wrong. Even if only 1 farang is involved, it are still 3 foreigners.

Don't you see you're contradicting yourself here? First you say: farang has to be white skinned, than you say: 1 foreign male, 1 Thai man and 2 asian women, so header is wrong, only 1 foreigner involved.

Sorry, not only farang are foreigners.

So don't forget to ask in the office, if 1 Russian man, 2 Malay women and 1 Thai man are arrested, how many foreigners have been arrested?

So Obama is not a farang and neither are other people of color, e.g., Hawaiian, Maoris, Africans, Panamanians, Mexicans, Costa Ricans, Dominicans, Bedouins, Brazilians, Egyptians, Andamanese, Indian, Pakastanis, South Africans, Aborigines, et. al.

Actually, Obama is ha-sip% farang.

Edited by unanimosity

The plot thickens...

Apparently at 4:30PM they stopped the pickup truck and arrested 5 people.

Now the headline then fits perfectly :-)

"There were five passengers on the pickup truck, including three men and two women of Spanish, Malaysian, Turkish, Russian and Thai nationalities."

So hello to Mr. Turk and hello to Mr. Spain.

We welcome you to the report.

Because now it all fits, with the police looking for 3 foreign men from yesterday.

Didn't you read the article? It says FOREIGNERS, not falang. Anyone who is not Thai is a foreigner in Thailand - Europeans, North Americans, Africans, and yes, Asians.

YOU are the one saying that foreigner = falang, which is simply not true. Your coworkers might agree that a "falang" has white skin, but that's not the same as a foreigner. Those two words are not completely interchangeable.

The 2 women from Malaysia are foreigners, because they are not from Thailand. It's not that complicated.

It is kinda complicated.

What word does the Thais use for foreigners ?

I would say falang (ฝรั่ง)

And in this case, that word is translated into English to report this story in English speaking news.

Suggesting, if we look at who was arrested, 3 people do not fit that description - only 1 does.

Technically yes, 3 foreigners got arrested and technically then the headline is correct.

Edit : And it still does not explain, that from the original article yesterday, that the police was looking for 3 foreign men.

How can 1 Russian male, 1 Thai male and 2 Asian ( Malay ) women look like 3 foreign men on cctv ?

No, it's easy. Farang does not mean foreigner, farang refers to one specific 'kind' of foreigner. So yes, it was all correct. Also, as far as I remember it never said '3 foreign men', it said '3 foreigners', with already yesterday 1 or 2 women mentioned.

The more you go on about this the more ridiculous you make yourself look.

Will we see any apologies from yesterday's posters who "knew it was a scam"?

how do you know it wasn't, there was a Thai guy arrested too, still could be insurance scam

Because there was no insurance according to the victim.

Please children, can we stop arguing about semantics? Let's call them aliens or will somebody take issue with that? I note that the BiB or the TAN network reporter cannot count. Were 4 or 5 people involved?

She probably put her weight behind it.

Wonder if she managed to pocket some of the spoils, kept some for herself and used the rest to buy her disappearance on the way to the hong nam?

TRANG: -- The highway police have arrested five foreigners

So, now it's 5 foreigners arrested. What happened to the Thai man? rolleyes.gif

He is only mentioned 1 line later.

Now, if peter from Danmark would say that that line is not correct I would agree. Seems to be 4 foreigners and 1 Thai. Don't know how many farang anymore :)

Is anyone else getting confused by the conflicting information here. First we are told that:

"Police have arrested at least four people travelling inside the vehicle*: one Russian man, two Malaysian women and one Thai man."

*Said vehicle was reported to be a Toyota Fortuner. Then the latest report:

"There were five passengers on the pickup truck, including three men and two women of Spanish, Malaysian, Turkish, Russian and Thai nationalities."

So this report states that these suspects were arrested in a pickup not a Fortuner... which makes me think perhaps this was a 2nd group linked to the first, but then it goes on to say about one woman escaping...?! So did they let one woman escape from each group or are they confusing the same incident with conflicting information?

If there were 2x Malaysian women, as we were told then how could the three men be Turkish, Russian, Thai and Spanish... that would require at least 4 men, one of each nationality!

Clear as mud this one... at least the standards of journalism here are fairly consistent....ly bad!

“one of the Malaysian woman, the large one ended up running away from the station. We are now searching for her,” Col Jakkrapan said."

How far can the large one get? Just check the nearest donut shop.

Edited by Shot
  • Like 2

That's a bit of egg on the face of the local constabulary.... any more and it will be an omlette.

Still, the apprehension of this lot appears to have involved some real police work. I am impressed. The foreign criminals don't appear to be quite as retarded as the usual pattaya/phuket suspects either.

Are you kidding me???

1. They broke into a car on a parking lot that has SURVEILLANCE CAMERAS without using a disguise.

2. They did the job in a rented car WITHOUT changing the license plates first.

3. They rented the car under their REAL NAME which is how the cops got their names after checking the tapes from the parking lot.

4. Then they switch cars and don't even split up and get promptly caught on their way off the island

and you are saying their not as retarded?

You got to be <deleted> kidding me man. Why didn't they just leave their passports in the car they broke into???

Don't forget they switched cars, both rented under real names and probably at the same rental place :)

No, it's easy. Farang does not mean foreigner, farang refers to one specific 'kind' of foreigner. So yes, it was all correct. Also, as far as I remember it never said '3 foreign men', it said '3 foreigners', with already yesterday 1 or 2 women mentioned.

Source :

Quote : "PHUKET: -- The Phuket Gazette has received confirmed reports that police have launched a manhunt for three foreign men who carried out a smash-and-grab robbery of about 30 million baht in jewelry this morning."

I am referring to that article.

Simply people saying what they think, if you do not like this use another forum.

• Like 1

“one of the Malaysian woman, the large one ended up running away from the station. We are now searching for her,” Col Jakkrapan said."

How far can the large one get? Just check the nearest donut shop.

laugh.png

Maybe she run away with the unarrested Thai man.

Source : http://www.thaivisa....-jewelry-heist/

Quote : "PHUKET: -- The Phuket Gazette has received confirmed reports that police have launched a manhunt for three foreign men who carried out a smash-and-grab robbery of about 30 million baht in jewelry this morning."

I am referring to that article.

Glad to see you don't get your farang and foreigner mixed up this time while trying to correct others over this.