Police Arrest Three Foreigners For Bt30mn Jewelry Heist In Phuket

webfact

The suspects can't be real bright .... wouldn't you realise the police would be looking for the rental car at every road checkpoint ?

Sounds like gangsters watched to much of keystone cops ... cheesy.gif

Anyway , there still one suspect ' still at large '

I think there's more to this episode regarding the car parked at the supercentre and having the jewelry sitting in the back ... we haven't been told the full story here in my opinion. neus.gif

Have to agree, no one in their right mind would leave almost a million dollars unguarded, especially sitting in a car.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is anyone else getting confused by the conflicting information here. First we are told that:

"Police have arrested at least four people travelling inside the vehicle*: one Russian man, two Malaysian women and one Thai man."

*Said vehicle was reported to be a Toyota Fortuner. Then the latest report:

"There were five passengers on the pickup truck, including three men and two women of Spanish, Malaysian, Turkish, Russian and Thai nationalities."

So this report states that these suspects were arrested in a pickup not a Fortuner... which makes me think perhaps this was a 2nd group linked to the first, but then it goes on to say about one woman escaping...?! So did they let one woman escape from each group or are they confusing the same incident with conflicting information?

If there were 2x Malaysian women, as we were told then how could the three men be Turkish, Russian, Thai and Spanish... that would require at least 4 men, one of each nationality!

Clear as mud this one... at least the standards of journalism here are fairly consistent....ly bad!

Quite clear to me.

Please children, can we stop arguing about semantics? Let's call them aliens or will somebody take issue with that? I note that the BiB or the TAN network reporter cannot count. Were 4 or 5 people involved?

Wonder how much of the 30 mill has gone missing ?

When this story first broke I read a great number posters jumping to conclusions based on nothing that this was an insurance scam. Where are all those posters now. It is a sad statement how ridiculous and embarrassing the farangs on this forum really are.

Hmmm interesting comment and I see its been accorded 'popular status" I don't think its sad or embarrassing for allot of people to contemplate that this could have been an insurance scam.. quite natural and logical thinking for what goes on in Thailand. What i do think is sad and embarrassing is that you had to jump on your self made soapbox and come up with your holier than thou comment.

Please children, can we stop arguing about semantics? Let's call them aliens or will somebody take issue with that? I note that the BiB or the TAN network reporter cannot count. Were 4 or 5 people involved?

Wonder how much of the 30 mill has gone missing ?

Probably most of it, as 2 people are still at large.

couple of things... first, it's simply shocking this guy left $1 million worth of jewelry just sitting in his car. there's something not right about this whole situation.

second, is how do you let a suspect of such a huge robbery just go dallying off by herself to the bathroom... ? it's beyond comprehension...

When this story first broke I read a great number posters jumping to conclusions based on nothing that this was an insurance scam. Where are all those posters now. It is a sad statement how ridiculous and embarrassing the farangs on this forum really are.
Simply people saying what they think, if you do not like this use another forum.

Never used the word like or dislike their is a button for that. I simply asked a question.

What's your problem?

“While the police officers were questioning the suspects, one of the Malaysian woman, the large one, asked to use the bathroom at the police station.

“But she ended up running away from the station. We are now searching for her,” Col Jakkrapan said.

It's always the large one isn't it? rolleyes.gif

That's a bit of egg on the face of the local constabulary.... any more and it will be an omlette.

Still, the apprehension of this lot appears to have involved some real police work. I am impressed. The foreign criminals don't appear to be quite as retarded as the usual pattaya/phuket suspects either.

I would dissagree with that

Seems they were retarded enough to be caught pretty quickly

While our friends sort out the "farang" versus "foreigner" issue (which is really not that complex), can I ask that we stop referring to the two ladies as "Malay". They are Malaysian. There is an important difference. "Malay" is an ethnicity: there are many Malays living in Thailand and Singapore, for example. "Malaysian", on the other hand, is a nationality: There are Chinese-Malaysians, Indian Malaysian, and Malay Malaysians. A good friend of mine is a Thai Malaysian... born in Malaysia but he looks Thai, speaks Thai, works in a Thai restaurant, is a Theravadan Buddhist, etc, etc.

I have always pondered over how easy it would be to rob a bank/ jewellery store in Thailand. Never intended on doing it, obviously. But I think your chances of getting caught if done even remotely properly are slim to none. Thai police couldn't catch cold.

This mob are morons, they may as well have handed themselves over.

• Like 1

First you say '1 foreigner' and then you say '1 falang (foreigner)'. You also mentioned 2 Malay women,

Since when are only farang foreigners? The headline is completely correct.

Hello Mr nitpick ; And usually the concensus in Thailand is, that you got to have white skin, before labelled falang.

Didn't you read that sentence ?

How about cctv footage revealing 3 foreign men ( read article from yesterday ), that now really is 1 foreign male and 1 Thai man and 2 Asian women ?

I have asked around the office, 4 Thais all agreeing that a falang ( foreigner ) must have white skin, and is not Asian.

I agree, falang is only white skin and any Thai will say the same. It show how impressive CCTV is here, more than likely it was 1 Thai man and 2 Asian women with the same skin tone that did the job and the white man was not caught on camera. Once again blame the foreigners.

I have always pondered over how easy it would be to rob a bank/ jewellery store in Thailand. Never intended on doing it, obviously. But I think your chances of getting caught if done even remotely properly are slim to none. Thai police couldn't catch cold.

This mob are morons, they may as well have handed themselves over.

Maybe they had a language barrier to overcome ? :-p

I mean, Russian, Malaysian, Spanish, Turkish, Thai nationalities.

You rent second car became, rent second car using my passport again etc etc :-)

Edited by peterdk

Hmmm interesting comment and I see its been accorded 'popular status" I don't think its sad or embarrassing for allot of people to contemplate that this could have been an insurance scam.. quite natural and logical thinking for what goes on in Thailand. What i do think is sad and embarrassing is that you had to jump on your self made soapbox and come up with your holier than thou comment.

I'll accept that I am wholly accurate when it comes to some of the post's made on this forum. Yes people have right to display their intelligence on this forum. I don't have any real problems with what people post as obviously I seem to be able to rub the sore spots (egos) of some posters. At least you didn't attempt to insult "The MIlt"

Is anyone else getting confused by the conflicting information here. First we are told that:

"Police have arrested at least four people travelling inside the vehicle*: one Russian man, two Malaysian women and one Thai man."

*Said vehicle was reported to be a Toyota Fortuner. Then the latest report:

"There were five passengers on the pickup truck, including three men and two women of Spanish, Malaysian, Turkish, Russian and Thai nationalities."

So this report states that these suspects were arrested in a pickup not a Fortuner... which makes me think perhaps this was a 2nd group linked to the first, but then it goes on to say about one woman escaping...?! So did they let one woman escape from each group or are they confusing the same incident with conflicting information?

If there were 2x Malaysian women, as we were told then how could the three men be Turkish, Russian, Thai and Spanish... that would require at least 4 men, one of each nationality!

Clear as mud this one... at least the standards of journalism here are fairly consistent....ly bad!

Quite clear to me.

Please enlighten us all!

“While the police officers were questioning the suspects, one of the Malaysian woman, the large one, asked to use the bathroom at the police station.

“But she ended up running away from the station. We are now searching for her,” Col Jakkrapan said.

It's always the large one isn't it? rolleyes.gif

And now she's the large one "at large."

How Large?blink.png

Here I am thinking its 3 white men having pulled this off.

Certainly headline suggests foreigners only.

So with amazement I read, that its really only 1 foreigner ( Russian male ) 1 Thai man and then 2 Malay women.

The women hardly look "foreign" comparing with Europeans. And usually the concensus in Thailand is, that you got to have white skin, before labelled falang.

So howcome, 2 days in a row, they mention 3 foreigners ?

Fact now dictates 3 Asian and 1 falang ( foreigner )

Better headline "3 Asians arrested for Bt30Mn jewelry heist" ??

And how would they know already yesterday, that the 2 women was not Thai, just by cc footage ?

This truly is miracle Thailand :-)

Farang (notice the "r" rather than "l") indicates westerners rather than foreigners. Malaysians are foreigners and the Russian is a farang and a foreigner.

From wascally wabbit.

Edited by Cats4ever

Classic ThaiVisa comment thread here.

I keep expecting to see a comment like:

"NO QUESTION - THERE HAD TO HAVE BEEN THAI WOMEN INVOLVED BECAUSE ALL THAI WOMEN ARE GOLD DIGGERS. BELIEVE ME, I KNOW!"

So, will all those cynics who yesterday were running down the Royal Thai Police fess up and agree that this is a job well done? ..... anyone? ..... anyone? ..... I guess not. But I say three cheers for Highway Police Station 2 Division 7 for being proactive, stopping the vehicle, making the arrests and recovering the loot.

Oh sure, the large one got away ... but huff-n-puff as she might, she won't get far!

• Like 1

Classic ThaiVisa comment thread here.

I keep expecting to see a comment like:

"NO QUESTION - THERE HAD TO HAVE BEEN THAI WOMEN INVOLVED BECAUSE ALL THAI WOMEN ARE GOLD DIGGERS. BELIEVE ME, I KNOW!"

Nah mate, not true. You're just attracting the wrong Thai women.

My last thoughts is that there are so many thai, police et bashers on this forum, but as soon as they get a little bashing they cry like baby's.

I'm going to lunch. Have a nice day everyone!

Edited by MILT

First you say '1 foreigner' and then you say '1 falang (foreigner)'. You also mentioned 2 Malay women,

Hello Mr nitpick ; And usually the concensus in Thailand is, that you got to have white skin, before labelled falang.

How about cctv footage revealing 3 foreign men ( read article from yesterday ), that now really is 1 foreign male and 1 Thai man and 2 Asian women ?

I have asked around the office, 4 Thais all agreeing that a falang ( foreigner ) must have white skin, and is not Asian.

Agree with you, a farang has white skin. I am not contesting that at all, what I am contesting is your conclusion that the header is wrong. Even if only 1 farang is involved, it are still 3 foreigners.

Don't you see you're contradicting yourself here? First you say: farang has to be white skinned, than you say: 1 foreign male, 1 Thai man and 2 asian women, so header is wrong, only 1 foreigner involved.

Sorry, not only farang are foreigners.

So don't forget to ask in the office, if 1 Russian man, 2 Malay women and 1 Thai man are arrested, how many foreigners have been arrested?

So by your reasoning the lady who does the late night news on channel 7 is a farang then, have you seen her i've never seen anyone that white she glows on screen.

Agree with you, a farang has white skin. I am not contesting that at all, what I am contesting is your conclusion that the header is wrong. Even if only 1 farang is involved, it are still 3 foreigners.

Don't you see you're contradicting yourself here? First you say: farang has to be white skinned, than you say: 1 foreign male, 1 Thai man and 2 asian women, so header is wrong, only 1 foreigner involved.

Sorry, not only farang are foreigners.

So don't forget to ask in the office, if 1 Russian man, 2 Malay women and 1 Thai man are arrested, how many foreigners have been arrested?

So by your reasoning the lady who does the late night news on channel 7 is a farang then, have you seen her i've never seen anyone that white she glows on screen.

Sorry if you can't follow my reasoning. Maybe you can redo kindergarten? Nowhere did I intend to give a full definition here BTW, I only tried to explain to peterdk that while farang will be foreigners, not all foreigners are farang.

Edited by stevenl

So the BIB thought that Chubby couldn't break for the border. That must be a sight, hefty Malay chick sweating and jogging through rubber plantations with strip of toilet roll caught on her short ..... makin for the border