Mahabandoola Guest House - Cheap Accommodation, Downtown Yangon

Villy1111

Dear Users who plan on visiting to Yangon, Myanmar, or have any friends who'd go,

Hello!

If you plan on paying less for your accommodations in Yangon, keep reading!

My uncle runs a local guest house by the name of "Mahabandoola Guest House" that offers one of the cheapest rates in Yangon that I know of.

Rates :

• 5$ per person per night in a single room
  • 10$ for 2 person per night in a double room
  • 15$ for 3 person per night in a double room with an extra mattress
  • 10$ for a single person per night in a DOUBLE room (some people prefer this for some reason, befuddles me)

The place is also located right in the middle of downtown Yangon, close to landmarks nearby that are considered "must-see" sites.

Must see sites nearby (Landmarks, places of cultural value etc.) :

• Bogyoke Aung Sann Market (The one and only - biggest market in Yangon, the place you should go for Souvenirs, Gems, Jewelry etc.)
  • Sule Pagoda ( Only about 50 m from the staircase to the Guest House)
  • The Water Ferry Terminal (If you're planning on going on an adventure to the other side of the river. I would but then .... I'd do a lot of things smile.png )
  • Junction Mawtin Shopping Mall ( One of the only malls that makes you feel like you're in another country)
  • Railway station (IF YOU'RE FEELING EXTRA ADVENTUROUS)

Offers accommodation of sorts; single-bed, 2 single-beds, double-bed, and double-bed with an extra mattress for a third person.

Offers air-conditioned room at the same rates as normal ones with fans (more on this later), however they are limited (not every room) so if you could call and book ahead, you'd have more chances of sleeping cool.

Pictures provided below.

(RED ARROWS POINT TO THE BUILDING)

(BLACK ARROWS POINT TO THE SULE PAGODA )

post-130932-0-20621800-1337133757_thumb.

post-130932-0-81508400-1337134422_thumb.

post-130932-0-62712900-1337134506_thumb.

post-130932-0-05265000-1337134863_thumb.

post-130932-0-95097700-1337135217_thumb.

post-130932-0-60917200-1337135309_thumb.

Supplies Soap, Towels and Clean Bedsheets and Pillowcases (Surprise! ... All jokes aside, I've been to some "Motels" that didn't have these, just adding so that people don't assume the same)

Pros (In My Humble Opinion) :

• Conveniently located in downtown Yangon
  • Friendly Owner (He's quite outgoing, even though his English is not perfect - it is quite clear, he speaks a bit of Japanese too.)
  • Cheap way-out-of-your-mind rates. (Worth it too. Considering the location and that the competition charges you around 15$ per person per night for Air-conditioned and breakfast and with private bathroom. (10 extra bucks for a breakfast and private WC ?! Come on ! Just ditch those! )
  • Safe and monitored.(Has 4 security cameras installed. Not in the bedroom, mind you.)

Cons (Yeah, it has some and I'm not ashamed to admit it) :

• Located on the 2nd floor, stairs only (Might be a Problem fpr people with cardiovascular diseases who can't really climb. Or with weak legs. Or with no legs. )
  • Infrequent blackouts (Runs a generator for lights and fans, but however no air-conditioning during this period)
  • Not Private Bathrooms and Toilets
  • Rooms very basic (Only bed, light, Air-conditioning OR fan, and.... floor)

Extra info : Mahabandoola was a commander-in-chief of armed forces of Burma and is also the name of the street .. so if you lose your way, quite easy to get back.

WELL! You are all welcome if you do decide to come. So yeah....

Wait! I almost forgot!

Details :

Mahabandoola Guest House

Room No. 453/459 ( 2nd Floor)

Building No. 93, Corner of Maha Bandoola Road and 32nd Street, Near Sule Pagoda, Pabedan Township, Yangon.

Telephone (place) : 248104

Telephone (Moblie / BOSS) : 09-54-11-368

Have a nice day!

If you have any questions, feel free to inbox me.

Edited by Villy1111
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much, good write-up.

i second that !

i will come there in August and i will stay at Mahabandoola Guest House

Awesome! smile.png

At 5 bucks a night it is probably the cheapest around, no is the cheapest,.....but it truly is for the most hardened backpacker. decent rates can be had for about 15 bucks single,24 for double.

Do something with that bathroom,gees,then charge a bit more

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I went and had a look to see what it was like - decided not to stay there... It really is at the low end of accommodation options in central Yangon.

I have stayed in various types of hotels & guest houses over the past few months - and this one is really for cash strapped backpackers on a very tight budget.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I will be going to Yangon in a couple of weeks time and check out the locations myself. I shall rate it.

I wander if the place is guest friendly, if we can bring over night guests?

How to get from Airport to hotel my friend?

Cheers

Edited by coodhi

Hi coodhi,

Generally the lower priced hotels and guest houses are not 'visitor' friendly - normally there are signs saying that non-registered guests cannot be entertained in rooms.

Higher end hotels may allow you to have a guest though.

Taxi from Airport to downtown Yangon - available from the airport (you will be approached as soon as you clear customs).

Price quoted will be around 8,000 kyats (about $10) - but you should be able to bargain down to 7,000 kyats or less if you walk to the main road.

If you do stay in some cheaper hotels and/or guest houses - and want to write a review - feel free to add to this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/597713-cheap-guesthouse-hotel-accommodation-in-yangon-thread/

Hi coodhi,

Generally the lower priced hotels and guest houses are not 'visitor' friendly - normally there are signs saying that non-registered guests cannot be entertained in rooms.

Higher end hotels may allow you to have a guest though.

Taxi from Airport to downtown Yangon - available from the airport (you will be approached as soon as you clear customs).

Price quoted will be around 8,000 kyats (about $10) - but you should be able to bargain down to 7,000 kyats or less if you walk to the main road.

If you do stay in some cheaper hotels and/or guest houses - and want to write a review - feel free to add to this thread

http://www.thaivisa....-yangon-thread/

Thanks for the reply, is there any Bus that will bring me to Sule Pagoda area from Airport, or a close location?

I haven't caught a bus from the airport before. As I understand, you get a local transport to the bus stops at 10 mile, then take a bus downtown from there.

You'll need to do your own research on it, unless anyone else here can offer up to date bus information....

• 2 weeks later...

Cheapest taxi to downtown/Sule from the airport now is around 6,000 kyats, or $8 - although they will try it on with new arrivals by asking $10 first.

Best to change some money in the airport and offer 6,000 in kyats.

Agree about the duty free though - so cheap in Yangon. A litre of half decent scotch for $13, and a litre of Bombay Sapphire gin is $17!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would like to book for single bed; check in 11 April and check out 15 April 2013. How much the charges? where is your location? do you pick up from air-port?

<contact details removed>

Rgds,

Gilbert

Edited by SeaVisionBurma
removed personal contact details

• 11 months later...

I stayed there last year. Villys description is spot on.

I could have stayed in a faceless hotel, and treated like a king, but stayed in a friendly guest house and treated like a friend. The money you spend there does not go to a multinational hotel group it stays in the local economy. Yes itprobably is in need of a few improvements, but it's cheap, clean, the staff are very friendly and helpful, and I will be going back in may.

The location is great, with an array of local and a few more touristy bars and restaurants or indeed excellent street food

On my departure I bought a box of doughnuts for the staff, which hopefully gives an indication as to how much I appreciated the help and info from the staff