England Squad Confirmed

LucidLucifer

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a bit to talk about! I assume Walker, and Bent are excluded through injury.

1. Richards overlooked by another England manager. Is he just not good enough?

2. The squad looks a bit thin at the back to my mind. I know Milner can revert to full back, can any other midfielder do likewise?

3. I like Downing but not really in good form this season, shock inclusion, or just someone that can kick with his left foot!

4. Same Carroll, I really thing he is good, but lousy form until of late, and Crouch and Holt must feel aggrieved.

Overall thumbs up from me though! A pragmatic and basically balanced squad.

Quite a bit to talk about! I assume Walker, and Bent are excluded through injury.

2. The squad looks a bit thin at the back to my mind. I know Milner can revert to full back, can any other midfielder do likewise?

3. I like Downing but not really in good form this season, shock inclusion, or just someone that can kick with his left foot!

4. Same Carroll, I really thing he is good, but lousy form until of late, and Crouch and Holt must feel aggrieved.

Walker is injured, that is why he isn't in. I'm disappointed Richards hasn't been given a chance.

Downing shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. He's crap. For me, that is the worst pick of the lot.

I can understand the Carroll pick, he'll probably fit in nicely with Hodgson's style of play.

Walker is injured, that is why he isn't in. I'm disappointed Richards hasn't been given a chance.

Downing shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. He's crap. For me, that is the worst pick of the lot.

I can understand the Carroll pick, he'll probably fit in nicely with Hodgson's style of play.

Its disgraceful that Holt has not been included!!

Richards should have been in the squad.

Downing???? <deleted>

What about Sinclair or Dyer from Swansea?

Sturridge? Crouch?? But he has picked Defoe??

• Like 1

I'm a little surprised at the Carroll inclusion. Thing is, if he'd chosen the other way around, people would be saying where is the youth?

Hodgson's damned either way.

Damned because it's the same old same old.

Again we get the Gerrard and Lampard combination which has proven to be unworkable in the past. We don't have a hope in hell in this competition.

Gerrard has just been confirmed as captain. Safe to say he'll be starting then.

Again we get the Gerrard and Lampard combination which has proven to be unworkable in the past. We don't have a hope in hell in this competition.

Well Lucid he is the best option I think. At least he can organise the team.

How can­ Downing with his 36 games no goals and no assists get­ into an England team im sure even Rio has better stats­ than that. Adam Johnson would have been a better­ choice despite his lack of starts, would have been a­ good player to bring on, if a quick goal was needed.

..and Terry will undermine him again..

..and Terry will undermine him again..

I concur.

Well Lucid he is the best option I think. At least he can organise the team.

I'm not against it. Far from it. He has the experience, temperament and leadership qualities. In my opinion he should have been made captain years ago over Ferdinand and Terry.

I'm not against it either Gerrard is a 100% player and unlike a few others I think that he is proud to play for his Country. The other shocker for me is Caroll over Crouch based on the last 2 games of the season. Crouchy has been a lot more consistent this season. Anyway I really hope that Roy has got it right and we get some pride back in English football.

How can­ Downing with his 36 games no goals and no assists get­ into an England team im sure even Rio has better stats­ than that. Adam Johnson would have been a better­ choice despite his lack of starts, would have been a­ good player to bring on, if a quick goal was needed.

Tim Howard has scored more goals this season than Downing! Joke selection. And the carthorse instead of Crouch? At least Crouch can play football, and has proved he can score goals at this level. It will be typical Hodgson football, hoof it up to Carroll and hope for the best. Excruciating and embarrassing to watch.

Just what is it with Downing that sees him selected time and again? If you include Pearce's squad, Hodgson is now the fourth England manager to pick him.

Vesatility? Reliability? (reliably average at best)

Can any Middlesbrough, Villa or Liverpool fans - people who may have watched him closely and regularly - shed some light on his inclusion?

Saying that, anyone, whatever team you support. I'll be open-minded about this, but please, anyone have an answer?

Think your being unkind to downing, everytime ive seen him he's never been shy of running at defenders and or having a pop at goal, and wingers <deleted> wingers ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,reliablity!! hello,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Not been the greatest of seasons 4 him at liverpool but him and young bac 2 gether worked b4 has good history, Shame bout lennon tho

would have liked to see him there, fit, imo there's no one better on the right well maybe valencia,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Think your being unkind to downing, everytime ive seen him he's never been shy of running at defenders and or having a pop at goal, and wingers <deleted> wingers ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,reliablity!! hello,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Not been the greatest of seasons 4 him at liverpool but him and young bac 2 gether worked b4 has good history, Shame bout lennon tho

would have liked to see him there, fit, imo there's no one better on the right well maybe valencia,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

His 'pops at goal' have seen a return of zero scored in 33 England appearances.

And are you saying wingers can't be reliable !!?? Enlighten me......

Picking Oxlade-Chamberlain is repeating the same mistake as picking Theo Walcott when he was 18. A very promising player but I cant help thinking hes been picked on the back of one stunning performance and a lot of hype. Even his own manager wont let him play a whole game.

Spot on there with those points.

Worst England team i can remember, Can see you getting knocked out very early, also agree Downing <deleted> should be no where near that squad.

i think it's a pretty sensible squad actually. downing's probably a bad pick on form and you could make a case for micah richards over phil jones but overall i think roy's got it quite right. there's a very solid 4-2-3-1 side in that squad. parker and barry/milner holding, young, gerrard, walcott/oxlade off carroll for the first two matches, off rooney for the third. makes for a tight five across the middle which has a mix of experience and youth, also has goals in it. two good attacking fullbacks to supply added width. it actually looks a pretty steady and sensibly picked squad.

As a Brit ... I have to say, what a lousy looking team

I fully expect them to lose all three matches

The got blitzed by Germany in WC2010 so in their wisdom

they have decided to stick with a bunch of slow and or old

players.

Terry - too old and slow

Lampard and gerrard - cannot play together and both too old and slow

Downing - no goals all season

Cole - lost at least three steps of pace

Milner - wasn't he hauled off in SA after Germany ran circles around him?

Dafoe - Not a starter

Ox-Chamberlain - unproven, semi-starter

Walcott - 1 good game for England

I will stop there ....

Three and homeward bound

If the FA and coach were smart, they would have vetted all youth

in this EURO with an eye to the future ... instead ... they chose to

stay stuck in a time