England Squad Confirmed

LucidLucifer

Hart

Johnson Lescott Terry Cole

Milner Parker Gerrard Downing

Welbeck Young

Not my first XI I hasten to add, just who I can see getting the nod.

the pairing of terry and lescott is hugely unbalanced. ribery will be cutting inside johnson to run at the left-footed CB on his wrong side as often as possible.

i think your side is correct apart from it will be carroll up top with young off him in a defined and very flat 4-4-1-1. whereas it should be young, gerrard and milner off carroll in a defined 4-2-3-1 to combat france's same formation.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesnt actually seem much interest in who is actually going to be picked on Monday.

Looks like Downing is going to start (he is 1/4 on).

Up front Welbeck is slight favorite to start up front ahead of Carroll.

Hart

Welbeck Young

That's what I think although I think I'd prefer Ox to Downing ... or, well anyone really. Carroll the option from the bench, Welbeck a lot more mobility running across the lines

Defoe's Dad has died and he's returned home ... expected to re-join the squad, not sure he'll make the France game (or be used anyway) but more bad luck and obviously not exactly good luck for him!

So now we rely on someone with no experience other than 15 apperances in goal for Cheltenham on loan if we lose two goalies and against France the options for subbing up front are now much reduced (Defoe definitely a useful impact player if, as expected we are getting nowhere up front). Very sorry for Defoe but the apparent decision to risk going without two sub strikers on Monday is another "brave" one by the manager. All it needs is for Welbeck to turn an ankle in the warm up ...

Maybe he had no intention of putting Defoe on the bench anyway? That would be even more worrying.

Theo always wanted to play front man - could be nows yer chance young fella.

Edited by SantiSuk

Defoe's Dad has died and he's returned home ... expected to re-join the squad, not sure he'll make the France game (or be used anyway) but more bad luck and obviously not exactly good luck for him!

So now we rely on someone with no experience other than 15 apperances in goal for Cheltenham on loan if we lose two goalies....

The Butland debate is hardly worth having. I've done a little bit of research on this, and in the whole of world cup history (yes, I know this is the Euros) only four teams have ever used all three keepers, and not once was it through injury to the first two choices. The chances of him playing are negligable, it is however great experience for a possible future squad member.

So now we rely on someone with no experience other than 15 apperances in goal for Cheltenham on loan if we lose two goalies....

The Butland debate is hardly worth having. I've done a little bit of research on this, and in the whole of world cup history (yes, I know this is the Euros) only four teams have ever used all three keepers, and not once was it through injury to the first two choices. The chances of him playing are negligable, it is however great experience for a possible future squad member.

Wow - that must have taken a bit of digging out you intelligible little devil you. Hope you are not going to be disappointed with my obvious and hopelesly banale response - 'I hope you are right 'biggrin.png

If there is potentially an issue with him and Terry being in the squad together and it may disrupt things or change other players' behaviour towards Terry then leave Rio out. Terry is more likely to be involved with the World Cup campaign and I doubt Rio will go beyond this tournament and if he wants to who knows when the next injury will come. Terry makes more sense and is also not guilty yet. If he's guilty then deal with that then and we have Cahill, Lescott and Jagielka going forward.

At last, someone in the footie threads here who is not in the moral outrage majority when it comes to John Terry and who recognises the innocent until proven guilty concept!

I hold no candles for the bloke, but I'm obviously missing something about his proven heinous crimes (of which I do not agree that shagging a colleague's ex- wife is one). When I've asked what I'm missing (I'm not plugged into tabloids) all I get is an outpouring of apparently unconsidered hate-mail from mostly Spurs fans.

Wow - that must have taken a bit of digging out you intelligible little devil you.

Google 'three goalkeepers used'

[Hope you are not going to be disappointed with my obvious and hopelesly banale response - 'I hope you are right 'biggrin.png

God I hope so too....sad.png

Does anyone miss these days?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbHehgvoqG8&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Yeah, yeah I know, 'footballs coming home' blah blah, but at least those guys played with their heart on their sleeves, and at the time what was the worst media spotlight on those guys?? Oh they got pissed in some bars in Spain and the paprazzi got some photos of them and Gazza's fitness was in question...so what?? They were BLOKES who were on the lash! When it came down to it they put in what was needed. What do we have these days? Media dissection of every decision and choice, players making childish comments via twitter or to the media, all the managerial decisions being rued by the public and scrutinised.

Ok, we have a crap team but where are the 'Psychos' now? I would love to see someone like Scot Parker be the captain.

Im 31 years old but when I look at the football world these days I feel like a complete old fart!

• Like 1

How I wish we had Adams, Pearce and Shearer replicas for this month's affair. [Cahill will be an Adams, given a couple of years IMO and 'carthorse could be a Shearer, possibly as early as this month? - nah, now I've seen the real McCoy in full flight again, I don't think so].

There are only 2 England games I can remember where I was and how it felt - '66 and the Netherlands game '96. The win in Germany too, but that was not a tournament final game.

PS - Don't watch this video Smokie! That McAllister penalty miss that might otherwise have re-written Scottish football.

Hart

Welbeck Young

the pairing of terry and lescott is hugely unbalanced. ribery will be cutting inside johnson to run at the left-footed CB on his wrong side as often as possible.

i think your side is correct apart from it will be carroll up top with young off him in a defined and very flat 4-4-1-1. whereas it should be young, gerrard and milner off carroll in a defined 4-2-3-1 to combat france's same formation.

We're saying what we think it'll be not what we think it should be! Roys team is there to sit back and spoil whilst looking for a couple of oppotunities. Hopefully we'll score from one of these oppotunities and then they we be told to sit back and spoil again. Thats why i am down loading some decent films to bypass the euro's.

Hart

Welbeck Young

We're saying what we think it'll be not what we think it should be! Roys team is there to sit back and spoil whilst looking for a couple of oppotunities. Hopefully we'll score from one of these oppotunities and then they we be told to sit back and spoil again. Thats why i am down loading some decent films to bypass the euro's.

Casablanca was a good one, one of Humph's best!

Or is Doris does Dagenham more to your liking?.

Go on admit when the ref blows the whistle you'll be glued to the goggle box like the rest of us mugs!

Hart

Welbeck Young

Casablanca was a good one, one of Humph's best!

Or is Doris does Dagenham more to your liking?.

Go on admit when the ref blows the whistle you'll be glued to the goggle box like the rest of us mugs!

Casablanca has been on TCM channel quite frequently recently. But yes, it was one of his best. But in answer to your question, i very much doubt it. I have actually lined up a series called Revenge as an alternative to Roys 442, I am also taking the oppotunity to miss the viewers insult that is the punditry of Shearer and that clueless berk Hanson. Neither can even be bothered to do their homework before the tournament.

Still think we might get something out of the France game. i think we'll frustrate the hell out of them.

England have a chance if France start with Koscielny. He works well in Arsenal's attack orientated set-up, but France are even more vulbnerable at the back than Arsenal and choosing an essentially defensive midfielder as your centre back would be a tactical mistake (which I don't expect Blanc to make).

With Cahill we might have stood a better chance. Lescott (and Terry more recently) is blunder-prone and there is nothing like a major tournament for exposing such individuals.

Unbridled excitement and anticipation seems to be being swapped for "solid defence" "difficult to break down" this year. Bollux say I.

If there is potentially an issue with him and Terry being in the squad together and it may disrupt things or change other players' behaviour towards Terry then leave Rio out. Terry is more likely to be involved with the World Cup campaign and I doubt Rio will go beyond this tournament and if he wants to who knows when the next injury will come. Terry makes more sense and is also not guilty yet. If he's guilty then deal with that then and we have Cahill, Lescott and Jagielka going forward.

At last, someone in the footie threads here who is not in the moral outrage majority when it comes to John Terry and who recognises the innocent until proven guilty concept!

I hold no candles for the bloke, but I'm obviously missing something about his proven heinous crimes (of which I do not agree that shagging a colleague's ex- wife is one). When I've asked what I'm missing (I'm not plugged into tabloids) all I get is an outpouring of apparently unconsidered hate-mail from mostly Spurs fans.

Three good reasons why Terry should not be picked. Footballing reasons.

Perhaps he was still drunk on FA Cup success, or Chelsea’s brave John Terry simply had one of those night’s but his performance at Anfield was woeful.Besides the slip for Jordan Henderson’s goal it was the relentless nutmegging of JT by Liverpool strikers Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll that really stood out.Luis Suarez was first to pull out a nuts on the Chelsea defender before flashing a shot wide with seven minutes on the clock.

The Uruguayan was next up to slip the ball through Terry’s legs before Michael Essien turned the ball into his own net.Terry’s ultimate humiliation though came just seconds later as Andy Carroll passed the ball through his legs on the halfway line.

http://watchhighligh...wn-goal-vs.html

Thats why i am down loading some decent films to bypass the euro's.

Personally, as our first game gets closed and closer, I can feel excitement building. This is not in anticipation of us doing well, more out give of curiosity as to how well we will do.

We really are going into the unknown.

I see Stuart Downing has been mouthing off about people commenting on 6 Liverpool players being picked, and something about no one would comment if 8 man utd players who did not win the league was picked, don't really know what he is getting at, maybe he should just shut up and let his football do the talkinglaugh.png

I see Stuart Downing has been mouthing off about people commenting on 6 Liverpool players being picked, and something about no one would comment if 8 man utd players who did not win the league was picked, don't really know what he is getting at, maybe he should just shut up and let his football do the talkinglaugh.png

Downing has said in a press conference, 'England are not scared of France.'

Funny that, I doubt France are scared of Downing.

Saying that, I expect a result against the cheese eating surrender monkeys, God willing.

not withstanding that downing is a bollockless charlatan, england are about to enter a cup competition. perhaps there's some small amount of sense in having six players from the club that got to the finals of two cup competitions last season?

not withstanding that downing is a bollockless charlatan,

nice....clap2.gif

england are about to enter a cup competition. perhaps there's some small amount of sense in having six players from the club that got to the finals of two cup competitions last season?

Look at Chelsea this year, and Liverpool when they won the Champions League, neither had great league form, but could riase their game for the important matches.

Can we add this as #12 as to why England are going to do well at the Euros?

not withstanding that downing is a bollockless charlatan,

nice....clap2.gif

england are about to enter a cup competition. perhaps there's some small amount of sense in having six players from the club that got to the finals of two cup competitions last season?

Look at Chelsea this year, and Liverpool when they won the Champions League, neither had great league form, but could riase their game for the important matches.

Can we add this as #12 as to why England are going to do well at the Euros?

I do hope so, i am going to have to go back to the old days of either a coat hanger or aerial on top of the telly to watch the games,so me going to so much trouble i expect england to hold up to there part and at least be competitive and look like a football team.