Phuket Tourists Left To Save Themselves From Dangerous Surf

webfact

Phuket tourists left to save themselves from dangerous surf

Phuket Gazette

surf.jpeg

A foreign couple swim in the strong surf at Nai Harn Beach as Phuket enters its notoriously dangerous season for drowning. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- Beach vendors have expressed their fears that it is only a matter of time before someone drowns at Phuket’s popular Nai Harn Beach, as distressed tourists are seen daily in the strong surf.

“Since April, Thais and foreigners who regularly hang out at Nai Harn Beach, such as surfers, have often had to go out and save people who are in trouble and waving their arms for help,” beach vendor Song “Dui” Sa-ingtong told the Phuket Gazette.

“It’s lucky that no one has drowned yet. The surfers are always going out to rescue someone,” he added.

Compounding the issue of dangerous riptides on the beach is the lack of the red “no swimming” warning flags, as well as the lack of lifeguards to tell tourists where it is not safe to swim.

“Many of them [tourists] need to save themselves. I always see people sitting on the beach and looking exhausted after they get out of the water. Many of them have told me that they nearly drowned,” he said.

The swimmers in danger were mostly Thais from the other provinces and foreigners not heeding any warnings about the dangerous rip currents, Mr Song said.

“We need beach guards on duty as soon as possible, before someone drowns. It’s low season now and there are rip currents every day,” he said.

There are currently no lifeguards on duty at Nai Harn – or any of Phuket’s main tourist beaches – as the Phuket Provincial Administration Organization (OrBorJor) struggled for months to find any organization willing to provide the life-saving service.

The Phuket Lifeguard Club initially declined to renew their contract with the OrBorJor to provide the service, as they claimed the thankless job paid little and offered very little in providing the equipment needed or any professional development to keep lifeguards on the beaches.

However, Phuket Lifeguard Club President Prathaiyut “Nut” Chuayuan confirmed to the Gazette earlier this week that the club has now submitted an application to provide lifeguard services.

“I agreed to sign the new contract with the OrBorJor because nobody else wants to do it. This is hard work with no profit,” Mr Prathaiyut said.

“Regardless, as I have said before, public safety is our priority. So we have agreed to sign the new contract,” he added.

Mr Prathaiyut said the earliest his lifeguards could return to patrol the beaches was Monday.

In the meantime, Mr Song and his fellow beach folk will have to keep their fingers crossed, and their eyes open, so that the coming days do not end with a drowning.

“I’ve called the OrBorJor a few times to ask them to put lifeguards on the beach. A few of them have come, but only on the days I called,” Mr Song said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle15979.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-05-17

well, if people were so dumb they'd swim close to the beach which right now is usualy deep enough to have funs in massive waves and have water neck deep if you crouch a bit.. Never understood the need to get far away even when there's no wave. WAter is water.

well, if people were so dumb they'd swim close to the beach which right now is usualy deep enough to have funs in massive waves and have water neck deep if you crouch a bit.. Never understood the need to get far away even when there's no wave. WAter is water.

There is something called a rip current that often drag people out further than they had intended. It doesn't take much moving water to over power a person standing in what they thought was shallow enough water. This causes many drownings especially on beaches that have a very step gradient such as Karon beach. And many of Phuket's Thai and foreign visiting beach goers are not experienced with this phenomenon.

Edited by NomadJoe

The beach guy they mention K. Dui, is a star, I've known him for 20 years, eyes open, aware, warns his people renting his chairs.

Regarding rip currents. I was in the water at Nai Harn a few weekends ago, four Thai teenagers in the water, couples fully clothed. Jeans and all. I watched in a matter of seconds as two got swept out over their heads. I got to them in time that I still had footing, they grabbed my arm and I dragged them in.

Regular occurence for me when there is surf, thinking of trying to get one of the floaties with the rope if they don't bring the guards back.

The Phuket Lifeguard Club

What does this group do if it is not supplying lifeguards to the beaches?

It is certainly not supplying guards to hotels or public pools.

Phuket City can easily hire its own lifeguards and save on the administration costs and profits and bribes which are inherent in every government contract.

We walk along Kata Beach every morning, sea is very rough, and far too many people playing about in a dangerous rip. I expect some fatalities. Really sad to witness ....

Well perhaps they read this.....

Kata remains a paradise all year round and the sea is swimmable at all times making it an ideal destination for families.

.....when booking their trip through here: http://www.wotif.com...ach-hotels.html

Edited by NomadJoe

Phuket City can easily hire its own lifeguards and save on the administration costs and profits and bribes which are inherent in every government contract.

If the beach vendors are so concerned about loss of life (earnings), why don't they chip in to cover the costs, they would have a vested interest and make sure the job is done, unlike Phuket, where these guys are often found asleep at there lookout posts!

There are numerous signs warning about the dangerous water. Many just ignore them. When I was in Phuket a few years ago for a month, in August, at least one person was drowned every week. Usually more than one.

Everytime there is a discussion about what makes phuket so great. When the argument that there is nothing at all in phuket that isnt available somewhere else for cheaper comes, the counter argument is that the beaches are world class..

So why come here and not swim? where's the logic in there.

There are numerous signs warning about the dangerous water. Many just ignore them. When I was in Phuket a few years ago for a month, in August, at least one person was drowned every week. Usually more than one.

Everytime there is a discussion about what makes phuket so great. When the argument that there is nothing at all in phuket that isnt available somewhere else for cheaper comes, the counter argument is that the beaches are world class..

So why come here and not swim? where's the logic in there.

uh...it's called living. Not dying. Should be easy logic, but alcohol usually gets in the way.

P.S. I use to be a lifeguard, so am a bit upset when people ignore signs and just jump in. It puts at risk the life of the person trying to rescue the idiot who ignored the signs.dry.png

even if there is no waves, the signs are always there. Tourist are not gonna stay in their hotel and enjoy the the cockroaches and ladyboys of amazing thailand.. TherE's not much else to do

I seem to remember when I was there they had different colored flags. Red meant stay out of the water. Which is what we saw the entire month of August on certain beaches. There are other beaches that are good for swimming. Like the northern part of Bang Tao beach. Excellent even with high waves!

If the beach vendors are so concerned about loss of life (earnings), why don't they chip in to cover the costs, they would have a vested interest and make sure the job is done, unlike Phuket, where these guys are often found asleep at there lookout posts!

Also the readers of TV seem to be concerned, why don't they chip in?

Sadly another life was lost at Karon beach today.

Perhaps volunteer international lifeguards, similar to the foreign tourist police working in Pattaya and Phuket. Some good Australian, US and Kiwi lifesavers might do the trick.

Also the readers of TV seem to be concerned, why don't they chip in?

There was a farang woman involved in Phuket lifesaving some time back, not sure if she still is. I reached out to her once and offered to donate my time certifying the guards in CPR/1st aid and even the more advanced BLS for the healthcare professional. I was told not interested.

When I used to work at a dive shop directly on Karon beach, myself and other staff were involved in rescues. Our training and equipment on hand was of course far beyond that of the lifeguards' who during some rescues didn't even show up.

In America we are so policed by everything that most people can't take care of themselves. There are going to be people that die because they choose not to use common since.

We cannot police everyone and if we do....they just get even more stupid and ask for protection. If you are a repeating offender I would say then hire a life guard for yourself.

I think there should be more education for guest's which could be handed out by the hotels ,tour guides and supported by advertisers. Why does it always have to be the governments

responsibility to save every stupid arss that wouldn't listen to the rules if it punch him in the face. We have police on every corner to stop crime and to prevent drunk drivers...it hasn't stopped them yet but the cops have manage to put these huge boxes on the sidewalks blocking the paths for pedestrians and in some cases forces them out into the street to get hit by cars....a complete bastardization of their duty to protect the public not throw them in harms way. .

In America we get a lot of protection even recently where the F'n idiot sued Mcdonalds for being to fat....or the women who sued Mcdonalds because her coffee was to hot when she dropped it on her lap while driving, it burnt her cliterus so she sued Mcdonalds when in the first place she shouldn't of been driving while eating or drinking anything, secound it is against the law in most places, third she should of been sued for putting other drivers at risk becuase drinking hot coffee while driving is putting others in danger yet she won her case because Mcdonalds was blamed for making the coffee too hot. Now a guy is sueing a restaurant that gave him credit to eat at their all you can eat restaurant because they made him stop after his 9 plate but not without giving him eight more pieces before he left...this all on credit. ....and don't say it is just Americans because people outside America pick up on this very fast like the guy who is complaining about life guards.

Here is what will most likely happen. They will hire life guards who will erect a hut on the beach that blocks views park their motorcycle or truck up on the beach and play their loud blaring music, then they well dump their trash on the beach and hang all their cloths and towels up

to dry. They will invite all their friends and maybe start drinking. Or they will hang a hamock up and go to sleep.

I wanted to get a soccer team together for the children I was told it won't work...then got upset because the guy I was speaking with said the Thai's will start drinking at the game, they will gamble on the teams, they will get drunk and fight amongst themselves, and they will throw things at the farrang children if their team starts to loose. They will put an older kid on the team and cheat at just about every level.

I stopped being angry because I could only agree with what he was saying based on my own experiences here.

My point is, if you want life guards you will have to figure out a way to do it your self and then they will most likely shut you down like they did with the vet up country who was working a nonprofit animal shelter for exotic animals. If you create something that is worth while they will take it away and bastardize it in the same fashion I describe above....GOOD LUCK MATE!

even if there is no waves, the signs are always there.

Which completely negates their credibility.

Don't understand that comment.huh.png

This means that in low season on both good and bad days the same signs are out. So on a good day somebody goes swimming, notices the seas ara calm and safe but there are warnings about. That means that on the next, bad day, the credibility of the warning signs has for him reduced to zero.

Safe signs should be there when it is safe, and warning signs when it is unsafe.

• Like 1

even if there is no waves, the signs are always there.

Which completely negates their credibility.

Don't understand that comment.huh.png

This means that in low season on both good and bad days the same signs are out. So on a good day somebody goes swimming, notices the seas ara calm and safe but there are warnings about. That means that on the next, bad day, the credibility of the warning signs has for him reduced to zero.

Safe signs should be there when it is safe, and warning signs when it is unsafe.

Aren't the warning sign there year round? Conditions can and do change by the hour... I never heard of the ocean being referred to as "safe" and I've lived by it and in it all my life.

Funny. We have warning signs posted at our village's public pool! Maybe some days are more dangerous than others? wink.png

When the majority can't swim very well, it's always dangerous.

Back to a few posts above, quite often in years past the lifeguards did not change the color of the flag.

Speaking of the coloured flags, how do most tourists know that the half yellow half red flag means it's the swimming zone? Most would take this as "cautious/be careful", not a safe swimming zone. Would it not make more sense to have green flags on either side of the "safe zone" then red flags outside of this area?

Right on. We lost a relative not long ago in a pond. About 10 years old, but couldn't swim.

I stayed in Bang Tao and they had ANOTHER sign saying what the colors of the flags meant. It's pretty universal, unless you're from the frozen hinterlands???