Phuket Hotel Receptionist Denies Sexually Assaulting German Tourist

webfact

Phuket hotel receptionist denies sexually assaulting German tourist

Phuket Gazette

assaultgerman.jpeg

Chalong Police Superintendent Sirisak Wasasiri said the German tourist no longer needs to stay in Phuket to attend court proceedings as police now have her and her friend's statements. Photo: Chutharat Plerin

PHUKET: -- The Phuket resort receptionist charged with raping a German tourist has denied the police allegation, saying the incident was of “mutual consent”.

Sakchai Thongseedam, a reception staffer at the Centara Karon Resort Phuket, was charged by Chalong Police after a German woman in her 20s staying at the resort filed a complaint yesterday.

The woman, whose name is being withheld, said in her police statement – recorded in written Thai through a translator – that the incident occurred shortly after she returned to the hotel at about 7am yesterday.

She had returned from a night out with at least one “friend”, the statement read. As the statement to police is written in Thai, it does not clarify whether the “friend” comprised one or more persons.

Unable to wake her travel mate who was asleep in their hotel room, the German woman asked one of her “friends” who had accompanied her back to the resort to fetch another key card from the hotel reception.

Mr Sakchai, on duty at the time, brought a key card to the room, but then asked the victim’s friend, or friends, to leave the hotel premises because they were not registered guests, according to the woman’s statement.

However, the young woman said she was still unable to open the door with the new key card.

Mr Sakchai then asked the woman to return the key card to him, claiming that it “must be the wrong card”.

He then used the card to open the room across the hall, and dragged her into the room, pushing her onto the bed, the woman alleged.

After raping her, he fled the scene, said the report.

The woman and her travel mate, who arrived in Phuket together, will continue their travels as originally planned, said Chalong Police Superintendent Sirisak Wasasiri.

“They will leave Phuket on May 19 [tomorrow] and leave Thailand on May 20 [sunday],” he said.

“The woman will not need to attend court hearings later as the police now have her and her friend’s statements,” Col Sirisak added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle15984.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-05-18

wont need to wait for a hearing ,in thailand this is utter <deleted> ,never will happen and this guy can do it again ,

Do what?? A statement from a woman so drunk that she couldn't open the door to her room. And you think the receptionist is guilty. My money is on one of her 'friends'.

Edited by Semper

wont need to wait for a hearing ,in thailand this is utter <deleted> ,never will happen and this guy can do it again ,

Do what?? A statement from a woman so drunk that she couldn't open the door to her room. And you think the receptionist is guilty. My money is on one of her 'friends'.

The report did say the receptionist fled the scene..maybe he was chasing one of her 'friends'?

how much do you want to bet?

I will never ever travel to Phuket again.... 'nough said, folks. The various bad news I read makes me wanna throw up at this lawless place.

coffee1.gif So I take it the Phuket sub forum is the only news you read regularly then?

If you are going to be consistent you will need to avoid travelling to most other places in the world as well.

If you think Phuket is a lot more dangerous than other places in the world then I'm not sure travelling is for you.

• Like 2

I will never ever travel to Phuket again.... 'nough said, folks. The various bad news I read makes me wanna throw up at this lawless place.

coffee1.gif So I take it the Phuket sub forum is the only news you read regularly then?

If you are going to be consistent you will need to avoid travelling to most other places in the world as well.

If you think Phuket is a lot more dangerous than other places in the world then I'm not sure travelling is for you.

Chiang Mai is ok. smile.png

Hardly. It's quite safe actually, especially if your not in the habit of getting so drunk that you loose your faculties. When you hear the odd report of something like this, consider that Phuket is the geographic size of Singapore. There are between 500,000 to 1 million people on this island at any given time depending on the season, and reporting has gotten much more thorough than it used to be.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

unless you stay at the Down Town Inn!
  • Like 1

No, no it's not, the place is definitely unsafe if not down right dangerous, plus it's really really boring and hot and there's floods and stuff and you wouldn't like it any way so don't come, please! Semper, we need to talk. smile.png

Yes, I get your point. biggrin.png

You obviously have a problem with the overall nature of news. You think anyone's going to read, "oh, it was a beautiful sunny day today on the beach".

Let us on to your hometown paper and lets take a look at the headline stories there.

• Like 1

According to the site that shall not be mentioned he has confessed to rape.

Yes and what I find a bit disturbing about this is the rapist's mother asks the victim to forgive his son because of his "youth".

Edited by steelepulse

Yes and what I find a bit disturbing about this is the rapist's mother asks the victim to forgive his son because of his "youth".

Of course she does, that is what mothers are supposed to do.

One could also say: 'excellent news, swift action, and he probably even stays in jail until the trail, because bail has been set at 120.000 Baht. So the victim leaving the country is not a reason not to prosecute.'

Edited by stevenl

How about just leaving it open for now after reading just this one report? Are Thaivisa posts some kind of a competition for "long-distance detectives".

Not so utter <deleted> after all now, was it.

Not so utter <deleted> after all now, was it.

Also, since she reported it right away it is likely they used a rape kit which may yield DNA evidence as most rapists don't use condoms.

...this sick, cowardly, vile behaviour......it is rampant....

Yes to the first part, but rampant? Just 2 rapes were reported in Phuket in 2009. Hardly rampant.

..add it all up.....countless incidents....hotels, hookers, bars.......victims drugged, killed, drowned, beaten to death, thrown off balconies.....all directed at foreigners who by and large have very limited means or rights......add it all up.........we are not taliking Phuket only........only other place that comes to mind where such audaciuos crimes take place against foreigners is Mexico......9 years in Thailand, I beg to differ.....to lesser and greater degrees, this is a psychological, behavioural trait I have observed.....like when we were kids....and someone 'wouldn't play unless he was sure to win...or....if it was his toy....he would make up the rules to make sure he wins"..........

• Like 1

That comment is symptomatic of the knee-jerk rhetoric that invariably emanates from women's groups whenever a rape charge is laid against a man: "Oh! She says she was raped by him. It must be true, otherwise, why would she say such a thing?" And many times, that proves to be the case.

Problem is, it can prove, has proven, and often does prove, not to be the case. That the woman making the accusation is, in fact, lying through her back teeth. At which point the women's rights activists either go uncharacteristically quiet, or claim the woman has been 'got at.' Regardless, while the woman continues to hide behind the veil of anonymity, the man has already been named but is expected to put it behind him and get on with life.

Perhaps he is guilty, or perhaps he isn't. Yes, this is Thailand and anything could happen - or not, as the case may be - but it's presumptious of you to automatically see him as ". . . doing it again."

That comment is symptomatic of the knee-jerk rhetoric that invariably emanates from women's groups whenever a rape charge is laid against a man: "Oh! She says she was raped by him. It must be true, otherwise, why would she say such a thing?" And many times, that proves to be the case.

Problem is, it can prove, has proven, and often does prove, not to be the case. That the woman making the accusation is, in fact, lying through her back teeth. At which point the women's rights activists either go uncharacteristically quiet, or claim the woman has been 'got at.' Regardless, while the woman continues to hide behind the veil of anonymity, the man has already been named but is expected to put it behind him and get on with life.

Perhaps he is guilty, or perhaps he isn't. Yes, this is Thailand and anything could happen - or not, as the case may be - but it's presumptious of you to automatically see him as ". . . doing it again."

In this case there is no denial of the physical contact, and now there is a confession.

At the very leas, the evidence is that the woman was in an incpacitated state. On that basis alone, the accused had a weak defense.

There is not even reasonable doubt in this matter.

Even though the receptionist admitted he had sex with her by mutual consent? I would take yourself off this case and go back to looking for that large pink diamond, inspector.