French Tourist Drowns As Phuket Surf Danger Season Begins

Lite Beer

French tourist drowns as Phuket surf danger season begins

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-15987PpUmwhlOAlGfnTXtSftYIfsqak.jpg

DANGER SEASON: A tourist stays safe on the sands of Karon Beach. As the southwest monsoon takes hold, strong surf and rip currents plague Phuket's west coast. Photo: Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: One tourist has drowned and a Thai woman narrowly escaped a similar tragedy after being caught in strong surf on Phuket’s west coast this afternoon.

Uten Singsom, head of the Phuket Lifeguard Club team at Kata-Karon, told the Phuket Gazette that a lifeguard pulled a Thai woman, aged about 30, from the surf in front of Karon Circle at about 2pm.

“She was caught in a rip current but she was pulled out of the water by a lifeguard volunteer,” he said.

Very soon after, a tourist pulled a French man, also on holiday in Phuket, from the water about 200 meters to the south.

“The tourist said he first saw the man floating face down in the water. The tourist pulled the Frenchman up onto the beach and lifeguards ran to provide assistance there,” Mr Uten said.

A Kata-Karon Municipality ambulance rushed the French man to Patong Hospital. A French woman, believed to be the man’s partner or wife, accompanied him, Mr Uten said.

Sadly, the French man was pronounced dead at the hospital, he added.

The news today comes while there are no lifeguards officially working – with pay – at any of Phuket’s popular tourist beaches since the Phuket Lifeguard Club contract with the Phuket Provincial Administration Organization (OrBorJor) expired in April.

Mr Uten explained that his team were working voluntarily in order to provide some protection for tourists from the strong surf and rip currents at this time of year.

Furious with today’s incidents, Mr Uten urged the OrBorJor to at least issue some lifesaving equipment to the volunteer lifeguards.

“Even though they are not getting paid, our lifeguards are still on the beaches. Can the OrBorJor at least give use some equipment to use to save people’s lives while they make their mind up over the contract,” he said.

On Wednesday, an OrBorJor official told the Gazette that the lifeguards were likely to return to duty on Monday, now that the OrBorJor finally has a contract to approve after two rounds of accepting bids for providing lifeguard services passing by with not a single organization applying to provide the services.

However, only yesterday were beach vendors at Nai Harn Beach in the south of the island calling for lifeguards to be reinstated as quickly as possible lest a tragedy occur.

One beach vendor said many tourists were left to save themselves from the dangerous surf.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article15987.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-05-18

They keep using this word "bid" but it's been made clear in previous reports that the contract is for a specific amount of money..10M baht, 5% of which the winning "bidder" must pony up up front as a deposit for the rescue equipment. How is that considered a bidding process if the bidee sets a non-negotiable number?

Well, Mr F, if you go to the beach, you'll see that there's a sign explaining the different flags and their colors and what they mean.

Then you'll notice that there's no flags flying.

So, some would assume that it's OK to go in.

Those are possibly tourists who don't know any different, or maybe some locals who see so many other people swimming.

So, they go in.

How many have to drown before they let the lifeguards work.

Too many for sure.

• Like 1

Common sense dictates that you ask some basic questions at your hotel or guesthouse about conditions. It's truly unfortunate that there is no life-guard service, but it's easy enough to find out if it's safe or not. Anyone who knows about the ocean at all knows that it's better to ask rather than be sorry later. And if you have no clue about the ocean, then it's just plain dumb not to ask. Or they can just read on the Phuket Gazette, there have been quite a few articles about this. I agree, there is little excuse for not being kept informed. As we all know, the conditions are very deceptive here. There is always someone on the beach who speaks your language who knows the conditions. It's just a matter if the tourists will listen to the warnings. As we also all know, even when the red flags are up, and the life-guards are on duty, people still ignore warnings and go in the water. And many of them do not come back.

Unbelievable, I think it's safe to say that any other region in the world with a beachfront like Phuket plus an extremely high volume of tourist traffic, lifeguards aren't even a question!!! I'm from the east coast of Canada, I've seen beaches with three people on them on a 12 degree day and the water's freezing, and theres still some 20 year old dude sitting up in the lifeguard tower watching....this place man, I dunno....

But Thailand is not Canada or the US, it's never been like that here, so again, it makes sense to ask before you go in. The government and people here care little about other people's safety, you can find that out by spending 30 seconds on a motorbike or walking down the street. Yes, we should have lifeguards and they should be well paid and respected (like they are in the US, it's a good job in California with good benefits) but that is not what Thailand is all about and never will be what it's all about. I'm shocked that they actually put lifeguards in in the first place. Don't count on the government for anything here and you'll be fine.

Perhaps tourists should wear life vests during storm season?

Even the worst surf days in Phuket are relatively low impact when compared with open ocean (non wind) swells / currents. Bali, Hawaii, etc, even France surf.

Even the worst surf days in Phuket are relatively low impact when compared with open ocean (non wind) swells / currents. Bali, Hawaii, etc, even France surf.

Most of the time, I'll agree with you here (other than the life vest comment, thats comical).

Having surfed for over 30 years, on numerous continents, when the surf does get big here (rarely), the power can get similar to what you refer to as "open ocean". I might refer to it as non-continental shelf surf, but thats semantics.

As I have stated here before, sand bottom can change fast. Karon beach is notorious. People who think they can swim, get in, duck under a few set waves, bottom changes creates rip current and bang, they get caught, panic, swallow water. Boozing in the sun doesn't help either.

• Like 1

yes blame the victims ...that is the way we do it in thailand !

you make me puke !

One beach vendor said many tourists were left to save themselves from the dangerous surf.

What's so hard about this? Just don't go in.

Anyone with a half-hour to spare can read about their destination online or in a travel book, and will come across the warnings. I was well-warned on my first trip to Thailand (and Karon beach) in August ten years ago about this danger. The information was everywhere, and clear to understand. The way some people travel (unprepared, unread, and clueless) just invites trouble. Sympathies to the victims, but it's a needless tragedy, as reckless as motorbiking without a helmet.

Anyone with a half-hour to spare can read about their destination online or in a travel book, and will come across the warnings.

Really? Warnings like this? "Kata remains a paradise all year round and the sea is swimmable at all times making it an ideal destination for families."

http://www.wotif.com/hotels/thailand-phuket-kata-beach-hotels.html

yes blame the victims ...that is the way we do it in thailand !

you make me puke !

Anyone with a half-hour to spare can read about their destination online or in a travel book, and will come across the warnings. I was well-warned on my first trip to Thailand (and Karon beach) in August ten years ago about this danger. The information was everywhere, and clear to understand. The way some people travel (unprepared, unread, and clueless) just invites trouble. Sympathies to the victims, but it's a needless tragedy, as reckless as motorbiking without a helmet.

Well, there is also own responsibility, which people seem less and less to take.

Anybody who has looked at the beaches the last few days would not enter the water, unless they knew what they were doing.

Most of the time, I'll agree with you here (other than the life vest comment, thats comical).

Having surfed for over 30 years, on numerous continents, when the surf does get big here (rarely), the power can get similar to what you refer to as "open ocean". I might refer to it as non-continental shelf surf, but thats semantics.

As I have stated here before, sand bottom can change fast. Karon beach is notorious. People who think they can swim, get in, duck under a few set waves, bottom changes creates rip current and bang, they get caught, panic, swallow water. Boozing in the sun doesn't help either.

Swimming at Karon in the monsoon season is just a bad idea, in my opinion...

Edited by Jimi007

Nice pic. Forget the surf, she's enough to put me off the beach. She's texting to her friend, "You know, I just don't know what the men see in these young Thai girls" ...

I wondered about that picture too. Did the photographer and newspaper think it funny/try to make some point? No offence to the poor woman shown (for some reason) prominently in the foreground, but Its hard to believe that they were unable to find a photo showing the point of this article - the dangerous surf...

Phuket is advertised as worlds best destination place, and all that blah blah blah.

And all we get there is hundreds of touts, con-artists and criminals living of stupid tourists who pay the price.

and in exchange for that Phuket city which takes millions of dollars every year form tourists cannot even provide lifeguards...

DO NOT GO TO PHUKET> perhaps if people stop going there, something will change

• Like 1

Phuket is advertised as worlds best destination place, and all that blah blah blah.

And all we get there is hundreds of touts, con-artists and criminals living of stupid tourists who pay the price.

and in exchange for that Phuket city which takes millions of dollars every year form tourists cannot even provide lifeguards...

Phuket City, what does Phuket City have to do with this?

Oh, you probably mean Phuket province

There are signs there along kata and Koron beach, plus volunteer guards when its busy.

The rescue guys are committed unfortunately I saw the aftermath of small Thai rescuer versus large panicking russian last year. The Thai died trying to assist him.

Steven has a point people do have to take some responsibilty when they choose to swim there in any surf conditions, but often looks are deciving often propped up by the fact others are swimming so ill be fine.

Its very easy for a non swimmer to simply be out of there depth quickly in a small rip of the beach and then thats it a drowning.

RIp to the French Tourist what an awful way for any holiday to end, thoughts to the family.

I'm going for a swim dear... Hand me my life vest.rolleyes.gif In any case the big danger is undertow and rip currents. Particularly the rips. Powerful rip currents can form on days when the breaking surf is extremely mild.

Nice pic. Forget the surf, she's enough to put me off the beach. She's texting to her friend, "You know, I just don't know what the men see in these young Thai girls" ...

Oh yeah? I bet she'ud make ya see heaven itself! You first...smile.png

I wondered about that picture too. Did the photographer and newspaper think it funny/try to make some point? No offence to the poor woman shown (for some reason) prominently in the foreground, but Its hard to believe that they were unable to find a photo showing the point of this article - the dangerous surf...

They borrowed that photo from the story 'No Toilets available for Phuket beach tourists'

Unbelievable, I think it's safe to say that any other region in the world with a beachfront like Phuket plus an extremely high volume of tourist traffic, lifeguards aren't even a question!!! I'm from the east coast of Canada, I've seen beaches with three people on them on a 12 degree day and the water's freezing, and theres still some 20 year old dude sitting up in the lifeguard tower watching....this place man, I dunno....

It's swings and roundabouts mate. In Canada you have to have the words 'Caution Hot' written on the side of a take away cup of coffee in case some bright spark burns their tongue and wants to blame Maccy D's and sue them. Here in Phuket you have a beach holiday hot spot with no lifeguards on the beach.

With freedom comes a price. That price being you have to think for yourself and be responsible for your own actions. Some where in the middle of the two would probably be nice but if I had to choose I'll take the freedom to think for myself any day of the week.

People need to be better at understanding where they are and what the rules are, and if they find themselves somewhere they need to be responsible for their own decisions and that doesn't sit right with them, then they need to go somewhere else.

You hit the nail on the head 'Living of stupid tourists'. Stupid people will be stupid tourists no matter where in the world they go. If stupid people want to make themselves feel better by blaming Phuket for everything instead of addressing their own stupidity then that's fine. Doesn't make an ounce of sense mind.

Millions of 'Non stupid' people come to Phuket and have the time of their lives, they then come back again and again. That's a fact whether it pleases you or not.

Even well before the contract expired, people drowned on a regular basis on the beaches of Phuket.

Sometimes the life guards weren't paying proper attention, sometimes they just went our for lunch while multiple people were in the water...

Maybe it's an idea, as so many victims are foreigners, to have a foreign company or expat club manage and employ the life guards instead.

At least it will be done in a proper way then.

For a resort island like Phuket this situation is very un-professional and it will hurt it's already worsening reputation in the long run....

Edited by luckyman

Even well before the contract expired, people drowned on a regular basis on the beaches of Phuket.

Sometimes the life guards weren't paying proper attention, sometimes they just went our for lunch while multiple people were in the water...

Maybe it's an idea, as so many victims are foreigners, to have a foreign company or expat club manage and employ the life guards instead.

At least it will be done in a proper way then.

For a resort island like Phuket this situation is very un-professional and it will hurt it's already worsening reputation in the long run....

Considering the way many expat businesses are run, and quite often failing, why would expat lifeguards do a better job than the Thai lifeguards? IMO the lifeguards that came on last year did a very good job, and it will be the same lifeguards again this year.

I find your post extremely arrogant, how often are you on Phuket's beaches?

Tragic.

Could this be placed into perspective? i.e. how many tourists die each year on the European coast lines?

Suggesting this is the tourists fault is quite insensitive, yes he should have been aware of the dangers and found out about the local issues before taking a swim.

But realistically, how many of us have gone somewhere on holiday and taken a dip without really considering or evaluating the risks fully?

I’m a strong swimmer and was a part time life guard in my younger years, however, on my first trip to Phuket I swam in the sea unaware of the potential danger for hazardous currents in the area. I’m sure if we are honest with ourselves with the exception of the most hypocritical we could all attest to doing something similar without the full due care and attention the safety of the sea deserves.

IMO the issue lies with the lack of consideration the authorities in Thailand give to the safety of tourists. It reminds me of some of the Greek and Spanish Islands – money matters beyond all, such to the detrimental impact on the tourist.

The lifeguarding issue, contracts etc shows how poorly managed and how far behind parts of Thailand are. With the amount of overseas money pouring into Phuket it wouldn’t be difficult to eradicate some of the issues it faces.

However improvement comes at a cost – This cost is simply effort.

The policies are all there, the laws are all in place, the correct ideas are there. It is at the point of implementation where officialdom falls on its face. Officials can bark out orders of ‘crack downs’ and ‘Clean-sweeps’, new legislation and agreements and wax lyrical to the media, the circus continues. However, The ‘Give a <deleted>@k’ factor is simply absent while money continues to roll in.

Make no excuse – The reason issues like this exist and the correct information is not presented to the correct people (i.e. tourists) at the correct time (i.e. Beach Signage and ‘good’ lifeguards) is simple lack of care. The officials don’t care if someone dies on their beach, they only care if the publicity it cause is significant enough to impact the stream of cash.

Correct and adequate measures cannot protect all the people all of the time, but an intelligent balance can be achieved where most of the people most of the time can be protected. Protecting some of the people some of the time shows a lack of care and is not really acceptable for an internationally renowned location.

I'm trying not to break Forum rules and out-and-out bagging here, but sometimes I think the posters (like this guy), need to wake up and look out their own window. Where are you stokakrishna, you sure you wouldn't rather be here on a sunny beach than where you are now?

You've been to Patong, what, once or twice and consider that having come to Phuket? uh-huh..............

I'm trying not to break Forum rules and out-and-out bagging here, but sometimes I think the posters (like this guy), need to wake up and look out their own window. Where are you stokakrishna, you sure you wouldn't rather be here on a sunny beach than where you are now?

You've been to Patong, what, once or twice and consider that having come to Phuket? uh-huh..............

I have on and of been coming to Patong for 12 years and i met people then who were gold medal moaners about almost everything i still see some of them now and they are still moaning now i dont know anybody on thai visa as far as i know but i know the moaners who post.

As far as swimming in rough seas goes of course it is good to have lifeguard's but we should be responable for our own safety as well and if you take a risk you you can be putting others in danger .