Phuket's Bangla Street Touts Warned: 'Hands Off Tourists'

webfact

Phuket's Bangla street touts warned: 'Hands off tourists'

Phuket Gazette

pstreets.jpeg

Phuket Police warn Soi Bangla street touts in Patong: ‘Hands off tourists, and no drinking on the job’. Photo: Kritsada Meuanhawong

PHUKET: -- Patong Police have warned touts plying Phuket’s renowned Soi Bangla that they are not to touch tourists whilst soliciting.

“And they are not to drink alcohol while they are working,” said Patong Police Deputy Superintendent Akanit Danpitaksat.

Lt Col Akanit explained to the Phuket Gazette that the new rules for working the streets of Patong are the orders of Patong’s new police chief, Sermpan Sirikong.

The news also follows a meeting of bar owners and their staff on Tuesday.

“We are going to make Soi Bangla better so tourists feel safer and are given a better impression of Phuket as an international tourist destination,” Lt Col Akanit told the Gazette.

“Street vendors and walking touts, such as flower hawkers, are no longer allowed to work on Soi Bangla,” he said.

“Employees tempting tourists into bars with menus and signs are not allowed to touch tourists, and all promotional signs being carried by employees must also clearly establish which bar they are associated with,” he added.

Lt Col Akanit urged anyone who sees any hawkers breaking the new rules to report it to the police immediately.

“We will be strict in enforcing these rules. If anyone violates them they will be promptly arrested,” he said.

Four police officers will be on duty on Soi Bangla every night to ensure compliance, he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle15986.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-05-19

WOW ... a new Phuket is coming out ? could be nice for tourists but a bit too late ....what about all the jet ski scams ? taxi maffia ? and so and so ....

It's never too late. And if he proves successful in this first step, maybe he can move on to tackle the taxi and jet-ski mafia, but he needs to ensure he is well guarded...!

WOW ... a new Phuket is coming out ? could be nice for tourists but a bit too late ....what about all the jet ski scams ? taxi maffia ? and so and so ....

Too late for what?

To change it from what it is, seedy and expensive rip-off

Remember Phuket = Pattaya (except Phuket is far more expensive)

• Like 1

Phuket Police warn Soi Bangla street touts in Patong: ‘Hands off tourists, and no drinking on the job’.

Police warn touts -who the police...because it continues to say...no drinking on the job... who? the police or the touts?

Too late for what?

To change it from what it is, seedy and expensive rip-off

Remember Phuket = Pattaya (except Phuket is far more expensive)

And Phuket has much more to offer than Patong alone.

• Like 1

Yes, report them to the police - because those high earning, criminal flower sellers really need a night in jail.......................

Better still - fine them, because that will make them think twice about selling flowers....................

Yet again, the REAL issues and problems have not been addressed.

• Like 1

Knowing the law is one thing... in the mind of an intellect or a rogue. Maintaining law and order is an attitude that begins first in the mind of the enforcer with no compromise! Why is it that the tourist is robbed by the "tout" and feels even horribly taken advantage of the law that should protect him? Is there a law only applicable to certain conditions? Language, Nationality or even status? I wish the police in all sincerity that they uphold it to what it stands for.

Edited by metisdead
: Underscore removed.

Indeed, the ladyboys are another issue. But what's ironic is that the busiest part of Bangla is at the ladyboy station in the middle. Those bars are packed every night. People are very strange. I don't get it. But if that is what they like seeing, well, who's to tell them they can't?

• Like 1

MarkG, I agree with you that there are other problems, but those are not the issues in the article above being discussed. I don't go to Bangla very much, but I am grabbed there all of the time when I do go. Maybe I look less threatening than you do. smile.png

Maybe it's smoke and mirrors, but I am trying to be a glass half full kind of guy today. But then I think back to the time when a gnarly old crone selling lottery tickets I think, came up and kissed me fully on the mouth with tongue after I was just saying hello and being polite to her and engaging in a little conversation and teasing back and forth. Needless to say I was a little surprised, but also a little amused. And correct, no law is going to stop crazy old ladies from acting up.

Oh well, that memory just spoiled my breakfast.

• Like 1

Thats all well and good but when you eventually get into a bar, what about the prices of the beer 120-200 baht on average. might iswell be back in europe...

Sheesh. I don't know where you drink on Bangla.

Are you talking about clubs like Seduction? Yeah, sure, their prices are around the 150b for a bottle of beer. I have no idea how much the prices are for a club in Europe but i doubt it's anything like as low as 150baht.

You can't compare club prices with beer bar prices.

Most of the beer bars i go to in my very infrequent Patong visits sell beer for around 80 or 90 baht.

There is one at the top end of Bangla which is called the 70baht beer bar. The clue on prices is in the name.

Anyway, that's not the point of the article. The article said it was trying to clean up Bangla, presumably to make the tourist experience better.

In the wee small hours, the ladyboys are definitely a problem. The police could easily clean that up as prostitution is illegal. But they don't do it. I wonder why not?

Yep, the prices being charged there are ridiculous. Of course the rents in Patong are even more ridiculous so they have little choice but to charge what they do. But of course one can say the same thing about the unnamed similar nightspots of Bangkok. Last time I was up there I was shocked at the prices in the bars.

I didn't mind being the handsome man when the young girls were the ones kissing me.

Yes, the ladyboy problem is particularly troublesome, especially the ones who hang about on motorbikes and on the street everywhere looking for a little action at all hours of the day and night. A friend of mine used to ride his bicycle along the beach early morning. They would come up and solicit him on his bike, asking him if he wanted various services done unto him. This is at 6AM and the man is already exercising.

They are indeed a strange bunch of people, and why do they always speak English better than other Thais? Why don't the police do something? In Thailand, for better and worse, it's live and let live.

"quote" option not working on iPhone app....siamdiver-running the risk of being off topic, Bourbon Street in New Orleans is only a tourist area for about ten blocks. The rest of the street is a Mecca for local artists, musicians, and is also home to a thriving local gay community. Please, please, please don't throw this beleaguered city's false idiosyncrasies into an analogy that hurts both towns.

Phuket is far more than just Bangla road , and although many consider Phuket a " Rip off " this is mainly driven by costs at Patong . Not all of Phuket is a Rip off , plus some parts of Pattaya are pretty much just as expensive as Patong if you use Patong as your yard stick .

If you keep yourself away from the mindless intoxicated Farangs , and full moon parties , Tuk Tuk's and NEVER waste your time hiring a Jet Ski . Phukets a pretty lovely location , like most things its knowing where to go on the Island . I love Phuket , but its about being sensible and using a little thought .

Very happy to see them try and clean up Bangla , I was pick pocketed in that dam road some years ago .

• Like 1

@bangkokgabe. Respect! You misunderstand, I love NOLA, it's by far my favorite US city and I lived in Louisiana a child. I go there as often as I possibly can. I love the place. Saw Trombone Shorty there just before Katrina at the Maple Leaf when he was almost completely unknown. In this case, off topic is fine by me, we should start a new threat called I Love NOLA.

I only meant that it has a similar reputation to make the point that if people think the walking part of the seedy side of Bourbon St represents all of NOLA, or even all of the French Quarter, which it certainly does not, then people should also not deride Phuket because of one very short notorious street in Patong which certainly is not the best part of the island nor is it representative of the island. I think the two have similar reputations to people who don't know the areas is all I was saying.

• Like 1

well far away from there is nong khai BORDER , where i was virtually mugged and set up by false customs oficers with false identity cards just laminated, tried to put cartons cigerettes IN MY BAG while i was argueing, wanted 40,000 baht, i refused because i knew it was a scam as friend had same last year, so careful when walking to get your car after a visa run towards 7/11 shop...........ANOTHER NAIL IN THE COFFIN FOR TOURISM IN THAILAND

Phuket Police warn Soi Bangla street touts in Patong: ‘Hands off tourists, and no drinking on the job’.

Police warn touts -who the police...because it continues to say...no drinking on the job... who? the police or the touts?

well far away from there is nong khai BORDER , where i was virtually mugged and set up by false customs oficers with false identity cards just laminated, tried to put cartons cigerettes IN MY BAG while i was argueing, wanted 40,000 baht, i refused because i knew it was a scam as friend had same last year, so careful when walking to get your car after a visa run towards 7/11 shop...........ANOTHER NAIL IN THE COFFIN FOR TOURISM IN THAILAND

Any connection at all with Bangla Road?

• Like 1