Phuket's Bangla Street Touts Warned: 'Hands Off Tourists'

webfact

"“We are going to make Soi Bangla better so tourists feel safer and are given a better impression of Phuket as an international tourist destination,” Lt Col Akanit told the Gazette"

I guess he wanted to say "international SEX tourist destination"...

This too shall pass...as soon as the tea money is antied up it will be business as usual. If they were serious...and I mean deadly serious. They would give each bar owner one warning. The next time would result in the bars closure for 30 days and any subsequent violation would be permanent closure.

Now you know why this will never work?...You already know. MONEY TALKS AND BULLSH** WALKS!

I wish they would do the same in the Pattaya Sois. There's nothing more annoying when you're talking over a beer sitting at the bar and some tout is tapping you on the shoulder to sell you DVDs, watches or the same shit that the last guy tried to sell you.

Actually, if the bars just disallowed touts from the area, the problem would go away anyway. The owners at the bottom of Soi 8 in Pattaya hired a private guard -- an off duty cop -- to work there every night. They posted signs that entering the bar area was a 2k fine and loss of goods. The guard enforced it and voila, no more touts anywhere on the soi.

WOW ... a new Phuket is coming out ? could be nice for tourists but a bit too late ....what about all the jet ski scams ? taxi maffia ? and so and so ....

Too late for what?

To change it from what it is, seedy and expensive rip-off

Remember Phuket = Pattaya (except Phuket is far more expensive)

Which tourist place in Thailand is not seedy?

More expensive than Pattaya?

Hotels are cheaper, the girls are more expensive than Pattaya but much nicer and prettier too and the foreign food in Phuket is a lot better too...! (Especially all the Italian and French restaurants between Thalang and Rawai, forget Patong, that's for other pleasures only)

They should introduce the 'hands off' thing in Pattaya too.

Then maybe it will be ok to sit in a bar without anyone jabbing you in the back every minute or so.

I timed it when sat in a bar down beach rd once and it was every 45 seconds, its not funny.

They should introduce the 'hands off' thing in Pattaya too.

Then maybe it will be ok to sit in a bar without anyone jabbing you in the back every minute or so.

I timed it when sat in a bar down beach rd once and it was every 45 seconds, its not funny.

YES !

(i decide from a few years, to not look/move sick.gif when they touch me, after 3-4 try, they move...)

Edited by apophyss

get your tuk tuk rates under control and allow tourists to travel freely around patong and to the other beaches for a non RIP OFF price and the entire island will boom with more tourists moving about and spending money with many thai bizs...or let the tuk tuk drivers rule the island....flower sellers on soi bangla are not the priority....

patong desperately needs pattaya style baht buses doing regular circuits for thai style pricing....pattaya offers a perfect example of how to move people around a beach/bay for ten baht a ride in song taeows....

i wil now go sit down and hold my breath until phuket rids itself of the reputation of the biggest tuk tuk local transport rip off in the entire county...doubled....bangkok and EVERY other place in thailand is a bargain compared to phuket/patong.

• Like 1

WOW ... a new Phuket is coming out ? could be nice for tourists but a bit too late ....what about all the jet ski scams ? taxi maffia ? and so and so ....

It's never too late. And if he proves successful in this first step, maybe he can move on to tackle the taxi and jet-ski mafia, but he needs to ensure he is well guarded...!

The jet skis and tuk tuks are a bigger, more violent, high profile problem, they should have started there.

is it okay for the tourists,to grope the bargirls though,lol.

Certainly, don't you feel the temperature and taste the flavor when you buy a beer?

I was not aware that bargirls did that in the punters' beers. More power to them.