American Fugitive In Phuket Faces Deportation To US

webfact

American fugitive in Phuket faces deportation to US

Phuket Gazette

fugitive.jpeg

American Michael Matos, 46, was arrested in Phuket on Friday. He now faces deportation to the United States to faces charges involving cocaine and involvement in lewd shows. Photo: Golf – Thai Rath

PHUKET: - An American man arrested in Phuket on Friday faces deportation to the United States, where is wanted by the Californian Supreme Court on drugs charges and involvement in lewd shows.

Phuket Immigration Police moved in and arrested 46-year-old Michael Anthony Matos at 6pm at an address on Nanai Road in Patong, renowned worldwide as Phuket’s party town for adult.

This morning, Phuket Immigration Police Superintendent announced the arrest and presented Mr Matos to the press.

“We received an order from the Immigration Bureau [headquarters in Bangkok] to locate and arrest Mr Matos. He is a suspect in cases involving drugs, specifically cocaine, and adult shows. An arrest warrant was issued by California Supreme court,” said Col Panuwat.

Mr Matos has been charged with illegally entering Thailand under Section 12 of the Immigration Act (B.E. 2522), which prohibits suspects wanted by foreign courts on serious charges from entering the country.

“Mr Matos has been hiding in Thailand since August 28, 2010, living with his Thai girlfriend on Nanai Road, Patong,” said Col Panuwat.

“At the moment, he is charged with illegally entering into the Kingdom. When we have finished processing this charge against him he will be deported,” he added.

Mr Matos has been transferred to the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok for further questioning, Col Panuwat told the Phuket Gazette.

“He left Phuket at 10am today,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle15996.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-05-21

If the guy has to flog timeshares, he obviously wasn't moving much product in the States.

Unless he started his stay in Thailand as a big spender.

Nah I knew him from Pattaya in 2008, he wasn't selling timeshare there just going around with the scratch cards to get punters up to the sales deck and wasn't making much money. He has been here a lot longer than 2010...probably at least 6/7 years

Edited by tonymontana32

"Mr Matos has been charged with illegally entering Thailand under Section 12 of the Immigration Act (B.E. 2522), which prohibits suspects wanted by foreign courts on serious charges from entering the country."

Which section prevents suspects wanted by Thai courts on serious charges from entering the country? There seem to be a lot of them out there living the life of Reilly on their ill gotten gains.

News to me that there is a law preventing "suspects" from entering the Kingdom. I guess a person may not know that they were a suspect, unless they knowingly fled a country where they new that they were facing charges. You could not know that you were a suspect if Interpol or your own police force was keeping an eye on you, if you had not been arrested or charged with anything.

I do know of a case where a foreign government confiscated a persons passport on orders from Interpol and let him go, as he was not facing any criminal charges in the country that confiscated his passport. Only suspect in his own country.

Yet another client for the private companies running the US justice system into the ground. The country that already houses 25% of all the world's prisoners have just found another client. Kick out the private companies and the judges sitting on their boards and the Americans could soon see normal numbers of prisoners and a big drop in the amount they spending on the abuse of prisoners. THey are a true third world country when it comes to housing prisoners. The jails in North Korea give more space to the chaps that should never have been in prison in the first place.

What nonsense. Privately run prisons in the US are a small percentage of the total. And they are cleaner and safer that most. And maybe your observation about the spaciousness of the North Korean prisons is correct. When the prisons get crowded and the officials have to feed the inmates, they solve the problem with a bullet to the head.

Doesn't seem like he hurt anyone, surprising just how badly the USA likes to lock people up. Sending people to the slammer should be an extreme exception, not the norm.

You have the War on Drugs to thank for this. Just more BS from the home of the brave and the land of the free. Ha!

Mr Matos has been charged with illegally entering Thailand under Section 12 of the Immigration Act (B.E. 2522), which prohibits suspects wanted by foreign courts on serious charges from entering the country.

Shouldn't the immigration officer that allowed him to enter be charged?

Actually I didn't click the link but it doesn't mention anywhere if he had a visa. He could have been an illegal immigrant.

News to me that there is a law preventing "suspects" from entering the Kingdom. I guess a person may not know that they were a suspect, unless they knowingly fled a country where they new that they were facing charges. You could not know that you were a suspect if Interpol or your own police force was keeping an eye on you, if you had not been arrested or charged with anything.

I do know of a case where a foreign government confiscated a persons passport on orders from Interpol and let him go, as he was not facing any criminal charges in the country that confiscated his passport. Only suspect in his own country.

Oooh...from your recent posts, sounds like YOU got some serious baggage Meester.