Phitsanulok & Phichit

kerryk

I have lived in Chiang Mai for the most part of a year. My girlfriend wants to move to Phitsanulok or Phichit. I like Chiang Mai because of the climate, the health care and the entertainment and restaurants. I am sure the prices for real estate and the general cost of living are quite a bit less than Chiang Mai. I would appreciate any information about English speaking health care, Farang Entertainment and restaurants in Phichit and Phitsanulok. Thank you.

There are several private hospitals that offer quality care and Eng. speaking docs. As for Farang entertainment nothing like CM at all. In Phits only 1 local pub with farang food. As for the weather it's much hotter than CM, usually 40+ in hot season.

All sounds negative but there are advantages such as traffic and air quality.

• 1 month later...
There are several private hospitals that offer quality care and Eng. speaking docs. As for Farang entertainment nothing like CM at all. In Phits only 1 local pub with farang food. As for the weather it's much hotter than CM, usually 40+ in hot season.

I lived in Phi'lok for 2 months. I thought the traffic was terrible - the driving is worse than CM. I never even had a decent meal there - when the Pizza Company is considered good then something is wrong. The cinema never shows films in English, there are no decent houses for rent. There are stray dogs everywhere downtown, unless you are at the shopping mall there is no rickshaws to speak of.

You may gather that I didn't altogether like the place. STAY IN CHIANG MAI!!!

Ps. My wife (from Loei) loathed the place too!

Edited by Grant

I lived in Phi'lok for 2 months. I thought the traffic was terrible - the driving is worse than CM. I never even had a decent meal there - when the Pizza Company is considered good then something is wrong. The cinema never shows films in English, there are no decent houses for rent. There are stray dogs everywhere downtown, unless you are at the shopping mall there is no rickshaws to speak of.

You may gather that I didn't altogether like the place. STAY IN CHIANG MAI!!!

Ps. My wife (from Loei) loathed the place too!

Traffic is nowhere near as bad as CM. Who considers Pizza Co good food? Most expats living in Phits don't. Loads of nice houses for rent, just need to ask right people.

Really don't know where you were but rickshaws everywhere. Bus station,train station,all hospitals,markets,etc.

Next time in town try Lady Jane's pub. Good selection of steaks,pies,fish and chips.bangers and mash, burgers,etc.

Traffic is nowhere near as bad as CM. Who considers Pizza Co good food?

By Phitsanulok standards it's good food.

Loads of nice houses for rent, just need to ask right people.

I think lot's is an exaggeration. I spent a month trawling the Moo Bans and could find only a handful of houses.

Really don't know where you were but rickshaws everywhere. Bus station,train station,all hospitals,markets,etc.

I know they have them there, but my point would be that they are only there! How do you get to these places in the first place!

If you are coming from Chiang Mai then you are used to a certain standard that Phi'lok just cannot provide...

Traffic is nowhere near as bad as CM. Who considers Pizza Co good food?

By Phitsanulok standards it's good food.

Loads of nice houses for rent, just need to ask right people.

I think lot's is an exaggeration. I spent a month trawling the Moo Bans and could find only a handful of houses.

I know they have them there, but my point would be that they are only there! How do you get to these places in the first place!

If you are coming from Chiang Mai then you are used to a certain standard that Phi'lok just cannot provide...

Like I said you have to ask the right people to find nice houses. As for public transport just walk out for your house to main road and buses or shared tuk tuks available. Of all the expats living here all have either mc or cars. Easy to drive when you don't have 3-4 lanes of traffic jammed all day as in CM. Yes, I just came back from there yesterday.

As for Pizza co being good food by Pilok standards what are you talking about? Only ever see tourists in there.

For the original poster come down to the pub and talk to the teachers that used to live in CM.

If you are used to a convenient town li ke CM then Phi'lok is a step down. I stayed in an awful condo in the downtown area where you couldn't walk around for the stray dogs.

The fact that there is one ex-pat hangout says it all. Where is the good food in P-lok? And the nearest cinema with films in english is 2 hours drive away!

• 3 months later...
If you are used to a convenient town li ke CM then Phi'lok is a step down. I stayed in an awful condo in the downtown area where you couldn't walk around for the stray dogs.

The fact that there is one ex-pat hangout says it all. Where is the good food in P-lok? And the nearest cinema with films in english is 2 hours drive away!

Yeah but there are lots of places to go and drink and have fun. Dollar Bar for example plus a strip of bars in the centre of town. Why do you just need to go to expat bars? Myself and friends go to Thai bars and enjoy ourselves. As for the food, Thai food is everywhere and is delicious. Better than western crap. You can get your fix of Western food once or twice a week easily or you can travel to Chaing Mai or Bangkok for a weekend or more away as well. I stayed in a really nice place, so accomodation is there if you look. Chaing Mai is dirty, crowded, full of pessimistic expats, expensive, but is lots of fun :D. It really comes down to the life you want to lead. Either place suits different people :D As with anywhere, visit for awhile and see what you think, and take into acoount your wifes wishes as well :o

Chaing Mai is dirty, crowded

And Pi'lok isn't?

You couldn't pay me to live there again, all I was saying (months ago) was that if you are used to living in CM then Pi'lok would be a dissapointment - the cinema doesn't even show movies in English! You have to go to Nakhon Sawan if you want to go bowling. To name but a couple of things you can't do in Phitsanulok.

It's just a small provincial town.

EDIT: If you read the OP's post you would see that they wanted to know about places to meet expats.

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid