French Tourist Drowns Off Freedom Beach, Phuket

webfact

French tourist drowns off Freedom Beach, Phuket

Phuket Gazette

french.jpeg

A strong rip current prevented locals and Mr Dacosta's friends from rescueing him yeserday afternoon.

PHUKET: -- The body of Stephane Dacosta, a 33-year-old French national, thought to have drowned yesterday, was recovered from the waters off Freedom Beach this morning.

Mr Dacosta was reported missing at about 5pm yesterday by friends who had attempted, with the help of local fishermen, to save him after noticing the French man struggling to swim in the current.

“We checked the location where Mr Dacosta was last seen and found that a rip current crossed that area. We assume that Mr Dacosta was taken out to sea by the current,” Karon Municipality Sea Rescue Center officer Supachai Janphet told the Phuket Gazette.

This morning at 9am, officers from the Royal Thai Navy and the Tourist Rescue Unit launched two boats to search for Mr Dacosta. After more than an hour of searching they found and recovered his body.

“We found the body in five meters of water about 50 meters off-shore,” said Mr Supachai.

“It would appear that Mr Dacosta walked to Freedom Beach from Patong with seven friends, who were on holiday with him. On arrival at the beach they crossed a fence to gain access to the shore. At that time of day they and two local fishermen were the only people on the beach,” he said.

The body was taken to Vachira Hospital Phuket.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle15987.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-05-22

Another instance showing the need for lifeguard services.

Condolences to the family and friends. R.I.P.

There never was any lifeguard service on Freedom Beach... It's only accessible by a rough path or by boat.

Another instance showing the need for lifeguard services.

Condolences to the family and friends. R.I.P.

There never was any lifeguard service on Freedom Beach... It's only accessible by a rough path or by boat.

Are the adjacent land owners still requesting money from foreigners to use the beach? Isn't this one of the many beaches in Phuket where this is happening? If you had to pay to access a beach, it should dam_n well have lifeguards.

^ There's no logic to that statement. Somebody is charging you to walk across their land to get to the beech. Why would that have any baring on whether there would or should be life guards on the beach?

They are not charging you to go on the beach, they are charging you to go on their land. Why should they have anything to do with the safety of swimmers once they reach the beach? I fail t see any connection I'm afraid.

Why the 16 hour delay to search/rescue/recover the man?

"was reported missing at about 5pm yesterday"

and then

"This morning at 9am, officers from the Royal Thai Navy and the Tourist Rescue Unit launched two boats to search"

RIP

Because it got too dark after the sun was down to find anything there.

yeah, i thought about that, but sunset is 6:40pm, and sunrise is 6:10am. Seems like plenty of time to call a boat or chopper. I would have thought the Navy must have at least one small boat at Chalong Harbor , or call out a few longtails.

I think it's probably more that the communications channels are not set up to handle emergencies. At any rate, if they wait long enough, it's no longer an emergency.

After living on the island for several years, I have personally experienced the level of tourist that comes in low/cheap season. It is no surprise that so many drownings occur.

They choose to believe that there is no danger and half are MAO anyway.

Lifeguards will help, and for the life of me. I cannot figure out WHY the tourist powers do not see that and respond accordingly.

The oceans in Phuket are TWO completely different environments, depending on the season.

Best everybody that plans to visit here understand and respect.

JOMO

yeah, i thought about that, but sunset is 6:40pm, and sunrise is 6:10am. Seems like plenty of time to call a boat or chopper. I would have thought the Navy must have at least one small boat at Chalong Harbor , or call out a few longtails.

I think it's probably more that the communications channels are not set up to handle emergencies. At any rate, if they wait long enough, it's no longer an emergency.

Simply a matter of reporting. There was already a search the day of reporting but to no avail. Them the following day in the morning the boats were launched that found the victim.

^ There's no logic to that statement. Somebody is charging you to walk across their land to get to the beech. Why would that have any baring on whether there would or should be life guards on the beach?

They are not charging you to go on the beach, they are charging you to go on their land. Why should they have anything to do with the safety of swimmers once they reach the beach? I fail t see any connection I'm afraid.

Oh but they have. There have been numerous reliable reports from people that did not walk across their land but were still approached and asked to pay. Some even arrived by boat.

There is precedent. Try to go to Karon Nui/Karon Noi/Relax Beach someday (it has a different name depending on which map you are reading) which is just around the corner from Freedom Beach. It is completely encompassed by Le Meridian Resort. If you are able to make it through the lobby undetected and get to the beach, you will notice lifeguards on duty every single day even when the other beaches have none. They are paid by the hotel and using kit bought by the hotel. Why? because there is an expectation from the people who have paid to use the property surrounding the beach. Not the exact same scenario, but this example should at least help you to understand the "logic" and "connection" you seem to have missed.

Edited by NomadJoe

should at least help you to understand the "logic" and "connection" you seem to have missed.

Sorry still don't see it. Just because they have chanced their arm and tried to charge people who arrived by boat, (who I'm sure wouldn't have paid) doesn't make them any more responsible for putting life guards on the beach.

As you quite rightly say, the hotel example is completely different and can't be compared at all.

You talk about expectations and that's what it comes down to, total unrealistic ones that people have. A family that makes money by taking advantage of the land they own next to a beach and you honestly want to claim that they should have to provide life guards, baring in mind even the government fail to provide them routinely.

Sorry, but if you think that's a sensible realistic thing to say then we live on different Phukets. A lot of people get confused as to what their expectations would be back home and what they should be in Phuket. It's the cause of a lot of confusion and anger IMO.

If you still don't know and understand Phuket well enough to take that kind of thing in your stride (being charged to access a beach with no life guards) then I can't see how you ever will.

Nice to know that you're certain people never pay for beach access when they access it from sea or other footpaths. Amazing powers you have. (Other beaches in Thailand this is actually officially done, so how is the average tourist to know the difference between real and scam?)

As you quite rightly say, the hotel example is completely different and can't be compared at all.

That's not at all what I said and you know it. It is similar and can indeed be compared.

You talk about expectations and that's what it comes down to, total unrealistic ones that people have. A family that makes money by taking advantage of the land they own next to a beach and you honestly want to claim that they should have to provide life guards, baring in mind even the government fail to provide them routinely.

You give tourists too much credit. They have no idea who is charging them for beach access. It is not unreasonable to assume that a beach which charges access would be more likely to have services like life guards than one that does not.

Sorry, but if you think that's a sensible realistic thing to say then we live on different Phukets. A lot of people get confused as to what their expectations would be back home and what they should be in Phuket. It's the cause of a lot of confusion and anger IMO.

It is a sensible thing to say that tourists might expect it.

If you still don't know and understand Phuket well enough to take that kind of thing in your stride (being charged to access a beach with no life guards) then I can't see how you ever will.

I understand Phuket very well, but I also have an idea what Phuket should and could be. People pay for access, thus there can be an expectation whether that expectation is right or wrong, or silly to you, the hardened Phuket veteran because "this is Phuket" thus "you must never expect anything reasonable to occur." That's not in the brochure.

Edited by NomadJoe

That's not at all what I said and you know it. It is similar and can indeed be compared.

Don't agree. One's a five start hotel that has life guards for guests paying 5 start prices. They do it for the benefit of their business. The other is a piece of wasteland next to the beach a local family make a few quid by charging people to walk across it. Just like someone who charges for people to use their land as a car park.

The two are so different that's it's not worth comparing IMO.

You give tourists too much credit. They have no idea who is charging them for beach access. It is not unreasonable to assume that a beach which charges access would be more likely to have services like life guards than one that does not.

I don't think you give tourists any where near enough credit. Along with 'NKM' you seem to think every body needs your advice, as if they are poor little simpletons that can't go on holiday without your help. Millions of people come to Phuket every year and have a great time. They work things out for themselves, that's the fun of travelling to a different country where everything's different. They don't go on holiday and expect/want everything to be as logical and sensible as back home. The vast majority of people will not expect a beach to be guarded just because they had to pay a local to access it. Most tourists understand fully that they aren't at home. I wish a few residents could wake up to that fact as well.

I understand Phuket very well, but I also have an idea what Phuket should and could be. People pay for access, thus there can be an expectation whether that expectation is right or wrong, or silly to you, the hardened Phuket veteran because "this is Phuket" thus "you must never expect anything reasonable to occur." That's not in the brochure.

Why don't you spend more time on sites like 'trip advisor' like 'Stevenl' does then? Answer the questions tourists are asking on there. If you and other members really wanted to help tourists there are a lot more productive ways you could be doing it I assure you.

Peoples 'expectations' as you put it are to go to Phuket and have a blast, and I believe 98% of them manage that and then some. Who said Phuket should and could be any different. That's just your opinion. The vast majority of returning visitors are obviously happy with it as is. You have issues with things and you try to deflect that on to tourists to give it more relevance. I think most tourists would say butt out and let me speak for myself!

" Along with 'NKM' you seem to think every body needs your advice,"

1zgarz5.gif pot kettle and black. join up the dots............

Not everybody. Just the "fist timers" to Phuket. Maybe this French guy would still be alive today if he was given certain advice. Tragic story, but hey, what do you care, you already know the advice, why should you tell anybody else and help them out????

Edited by NamKangMan

Not everybody. Just the "fist timers" to Phuket. Maybe this French guy would still be alive today if he was given certain advice. Tragic story, but hey, what do you care, you already know the advice, why should you tell anybody else and help them out????

Like I said before, why don't you spend some time on Trip advisor and similar sites. Sites that are specifically designed for tourists and first timers? TV is predominantly for expats and long term tourists.