90 Day Reporting

I'm scheduled to check in for my 90 day on July 26th. I am leaving Thailand, on August 1st. Do I have to report to immigration for my 90 day check in before I leave on vacation to avoid an over stay fine? I'm on a retirement visa. Thanks.

If you're going for a re-entry permit, you might as well kill two birds with one stone.

If not, I don't know, but personally I'd go just because the advice you get might be wrong.

You have 14 days before and 7 days after the reporting date to report. You will be leaving on the 7th day so don't see it as a problem. Since this is not Chiang Mai specific, will move to Visas forum.

Agreed that you have 7 day leeway to report 90 day late, but if the op does not file a TM47 before he departs he will have technically remained in Thailand for longer than 90 days without reporting.

Whether they pick up on this when he subsequently reports another more that 90 day stay at a future date is unknown. Also whether they decide to levy a fine is unlikely but I suppose possible. As said if re-entry permit has not been acquired yet do 90 day report at the same time, quick and no cost.

Personally I would report but not if it entailed a long trip to immigration.

He will be okay with leaving on the 1st of Aug. They don't pay any attention at the Airport to the 90 day reports. When he returns he will start a new 90 period starting on the date he enters.

But he could face a 2,000 baht fine when making the next 90 day report as they will see that he failed to make required report (grace period is for actually making report up to 7 days late - it is due on 90 day mark - and if he leaves without making it he would be in violation).

But as said it is not overstay - it is failure to report a 90 day stay.

He will be okay with leaving on the 1st of Aug. They don't pay any attention at the Airport to the 90 day reports. When he returns he will start a new 90 period starting on the date he enters.

I was helping a friend board a Korean Air flight out of CM and yes, an airline employee did double check and question the status of his 90 day report. It was due on the same day that he was departing. As I pointed out to them, provided their flight left on time, he would still be A-OK.

(Frankly I think they were looking for an excuse not to board him, since his physical condition was somewhat shaky. We had a doctor's letter that it was OK for him to travel. He made the flight just fine -- no problems.)

Edited by NancyL

Thank you for your replies. I always get a multi-entry along with my retirement visa, and try to schedule a trip out of the country when my 90 day is due. If I ever move to another country it will be due to the 90 day requirement and the one year visa drama. I would like to see Thailand, follow Malaysia, in issuing a ten year retirement visa. Thanks again.

You have 14 days before and 7 days after the reporting date to report. You will be leaving on the 7th day so don't see it as a problem. Since this is not Chiang Mai specific, will move to Visas forum.

I have to report on june 21st. Does that mean I can do it as early as the 7th of june?

The grace period only counts when you do the reporting at the immigration office.

When you leave the country you can not use the 7 day period.

I don't hear many stories about this causing a problem but it could be a problem if a over active immigration officer has a bad day.

(grace period is for actually making report up to 7 days late - it is due on 90 day mark

Hi could u please clarify how it is possible to make the report 7 days late and still due on the 90 days? Do they give u a blank form with the due date on it? My visa says " Any alien who fails to comply will be punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 baht and an additional fine not exceeding 200 baht for each day which passes .... " It says nothing about a 7 day grace period after due date. Sorry for being ignorant, I just got visa and still haven't had to make my first 90 day report.