Spend A Night Into A Tribe? Teach Them English?

khman

Hi. Me and my wife would like to go in a tribe near chiang rai. We would lile to exchange with them... Maybe teach them a little bit of english... We would, if possible, avoid touristics visits of tribes... It seems to be like Disneyland tours... Thank you really much for your advices in order to visit authentic tribes.

Same for monks btw. We d like to exchange with them.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this kind of visit rather disturbing. It is as if the visitor has nothing to learn from the villagers. You will leave the village without really learning anything if you spend your time teaching them English. I suggest you keep your mouth shut and listen to their stories for a change. You would have to travel with local guides who are respectful of tribal culture. Otherwise, I suggest you do not even attempt to visit tribal villages. You are more likely to destroy their already threatened culture than help them.

• Like 1

I disagree.

I think there is plenty to be learned from such tribes, however in this day and age of Modern Technology, the truth is that these tribes haven't really existed - in any "traditional" sense of the word - in Thailand for decades now.

It's hardly the Amazon now is it?

With respect khman, I understand your willingness to educate hill tribes people . Can I suggest that if you are serious about teaching them English , you get the qualifications to do so , if you dont have already .

Can I also suggest that you contact one of the hill tribe foundations . Do your own homework and look them up if you are genuine with your intentions.

Could I also suggest to you that you actually come here, tour the mountains , see the people in situe and then see if you can cope with their living conditions in the middle of nowhere .

Also , once you have decided what tribe you wish to teach, it maybe a good idea to find out what language they actually speak , as many tribes here do not even speak Thai . Learn their language first , learn about their culture and what you could improve on rather than being a do-gooder and think they all need Your help , they dont.

Edited by sunholidaysun1
  • Like 1

I disagree.

I think there is plenty to be learned from such tribes, however in this day and age of Modern Technology, the truth is that these tribes haven't really existed - in any "traditional" sense of the word - in Thailand for decades now.

It's hardly the Amazon now is it?

If the Americans would stop demanding they come down from the mountains so as to reduce the opium trade and then sending them off to St Louis where most of them commit suicide, perhaps they would have a chance to exist in the tradditional way!.

Gotcha . Hahahha

I really don't feel I'm being pedantic here because in the OP's short post, he has made 4 basic mistakes, let alone potential comments on questionable style, yet he feels qualified to teach English. Cripes, it's no wonder that English teaches get such a bad reputation in Thailand.

• Like 1

Gotcha . Hahahha

I really don't feel I'm being pedantic here because in the OP's short post, he has made 4 basic mistakes, let alone potential comments on questionable style, yet he feels qualified to teach English. Cripes, it's no wonder that English teaches get such a bad reputation in Thailand.

OMG. I didn't hit the 'r' key hard enough, and you jumped all over that . Good for you! I suspect that by now you've printed this off and have run around showing everybody how smart you are. Perhaps you'll notice that I didn't jump on the OP's obvious typos, such as 'lile' or 'we d', but I'm happy that I gave you such a thrill.

BTW, any intelligent comments on the actually content of the post? No, I didn't think so.

Edited by Wavefloater
  • Like 1

Gotcha . Hahahha

OMG. I didn't hit the 'r' key hard enough, and you jumped all over that . Good for you! I suspect that by now you've printed this off and have run around showing everybody how smart you are. Perhaps you'll notice that I didn't jump on the OP's obvious typos, such as 'lile' or 'we d', but I'm happy that I gave you such a thrill.

Thanks , the thrill gave me a huge smile and I hope it did for you also biggrin.png

Gotcha . Hahahha

BTW, any intelligent comments on the actually content of the post? No, I didn't think so.

Thanks , the thrill gave me a huge smile and I hope it did for you also biggrin.png

Not at all! As a matter of fact, immature and petty comments like yours actually bother me a little.

Edited by Wavefloater

I strongly suspect that the OP is not a native English speaker so perhaps we can cease with the anally retentive comments! That fact notwithstanding: the OP would be well advise not to go down the "teaching English" route since this would require a work permit, other issues abound when discussing teaching English to hilltribe folks.

If the OP were to go to Doi Pui, some seven kms after Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai, the villagers there sell accomodation in their village quite inexpensively. The village itself is geared up for tourism but having said that it's in a beautiful location and there's plenty of interaction with the tribe, as a starter that would be good first step.

Edited by chiang mai

I strongly suspect that the OP is not a native English speaker so perhaps we can cease with the anally retentive comments! That fact notwithstanding: the OP would be well advise not to go down the "teaching English" route since this would require a work permit, other issues abound when discussing teaching English to hilltribe folks.

Good point !!

Gotcha . Hahahha

Did you mean actual ? biggrin.png

Look for the real message here and perhaps you`ll curb your blatant rudeness in referring to my comments as "anally retentive". Here's a guy who decides he's qualified to teach English but can't use the language worth a dam_n. I have friends who are good, hard-working and qualified English teachers but get painted with the same brush as the OP. It's frustrating that so many people who are horrible with their English ability get hired to teach, but the real teachers are branded as jerks.

Gotcha . Hahahha

Did you mean actual ? biggrin.png

What do you think? LOL

Look for the real message here and perhaps you`ll curb your blatant rudeness in referring to my comments as "anally retentive". Here's a guy who decides he's qualified to teach English but can't use the language worth a dam_n. I have friends who are good, hard-working and qualified English teachers but get painted with the same brush as the OP. It's frustrating that so many people who are horrible with their English ability get hired to teach, but the real teachers are branded as jerks.

"teach them a little bit of English" is hardly teaching English, not in the context that the OP describes, especially that the OP mentions being with them only one night! So no, the OP doesn't claim to be a qualified English teacher and isn't looking for a job as such. Looking a little closer at his use of English crosses that divide between poor English of a native speaker and the English learnt by someone as a second language.

• Like 2

"teach them a little bit of English" is hardly teaching English, not in the context that the OP describes, especially that the OP mentions being with them only one night! So no, the OP doesn't claim to be a qualified English teacher and isn't looking for a job as such. Looking a little closer at his use of English crosses that divide between poor English of a native speaker and the English learnt by someone as a second language.

It's true that the OP hasn't expressed wishes to become an actual English teacher in a school, and hopefully that's the farthest thing from his mind right now. The point I'm making is that when people like the OP utter anything publicly about teaching English, and then they surround that message with loads of very basic grammar and vocabulary mistakes, this is the type of thing that people jump on to qualify their opinions that English teachers in Thailand are basically parasitic bums who have no business being in classrooms. Besides, why should we condone someone even casually going to a group of people to teach them English mistakes? In the same way, I'm not a good baseball player, so it would be pretty irresponsible for me to assume that casually teaching young learners my mistakes because it makes me feel good -- that I'm doing something to help the less fortunate -- is proper. Well, they're going to be even less fortunate after I finish with them because I've given them the impression that my baseball techniques are good ones when in fact, they're not. They'll leave my one-day casual baseball camp with a lot of bad information but believe it's good.

Edited by Wavefloater

It's true that the OP hasn't expressed wishes to become an actual English teacher in a school, and hopefully that's the farthest thing from his mind right now. The point I'm making is that when people like the OP utter anything publicly about teaching English, and then they surround that message with loads of very basic grammar and vocabulary mistakes, this is the type of thing that people jump on to qualify their opinions that English teachers in Thailand are basically parasitic bums who have no business being in classrooms. Besides, why should we condone someone even casually going to a group of people to teach them English mistakes? In the same way, I'm not a good baseball player, so it would be pretty irresponsible for me to assume that casually teaching young learners my mistakes because it makes me feel good -- that I'm doing something to help the less fortunate -- is proper. Well, they're going to be even less fortunate after I finish with them because I've given them the impression that my baseball techniques are good ones when in fact, they're not. They'll leave my one-day casual baseball camp with a lot of bad information but believe it's good.

You still haven't grasped it yet, have you, you continue to deride the OP's poor use of English despite being made aware that he is almost certainly not a native English speaker, not only is that extremely poor netiquette it's potentially also racist. Meanwhile you continue to defend and promote the entire population of English teachers in case, just in case mind you, someone somewhere says or thinks something bad about one of them, jeeze!

And as if that's not enough you ask, "why should we condone someone even casually going to a group of people to to teach them English", I ask, who the heck are you to have a say in such things and why does the OP or anyone else need your approval!! You've lost the plot my friend, you're so hung up on protecting the reputation of English teachers that you're creating huge amounts of collateral damage in the wake of it, political correctness personified.

khman,

Please consider the people you want to "help". While yours is a romantic and noble intention, the reality of it will be something different.

A suggestion;

Ride a motorcycle up into a Hill Tribe area. Stop at a market. Buy a bottle of water. Sit and spend a few minutes quietly watching the vilage. What do you see?

Ride on, again. And, spend an entire afternoon repeating this.

Now, how can you "help" these people?

Immediate communication will require their language. And, their day is spent in hard work. To, put food on the floor. A "night" stay by you is, at best, a disruptive burden on their life. What can you "exchange" that can offset this burden.

Reality is you help them more short term by buying the bottled water.

But, if you are sincere in wanting to help the Hill Tribe people, then look for schools while you are riding up. And, stop. Teachers in these school will welcome English speakers to talk with the students. You may find it a rewarding experience.

Best wishes

khman,

Please consider the people you want to "help". While yours is a romantic and noble intention, the reality of it will be something different.

A suggestion;

Ride a motorcycle up into a Hill Tribe area. Stop at a market. Buy a bottle of water. Sit and spend a few minutes quietly watching the vilage. What do you see?

Ride on, again. And, spend an entire afternoon repeating this.

Now, how can you "help" these people?

Immediate communication will require their language. And, their day is spent in hard work. To, put food on the floor. A "night" stay by you is, at best, a disruptive burden on their life. What can you "exchange" that can offset this burden.

Reality is you help them more short term by buying the bottled water.

But, if you are sincere in wanting to help the Hill Tribe people, then look for schools while you are riding up. And, stop. Teachers in these school will welcome English speakers to talk with the students. You may find it a rewarding experience.

Best wishes

Good point, even better - spend a few nights in a remotish village when the drinking and screaming starts and see if that is what you are dreaming of. From what I have experienced they are not too interested in people interrupting their routines

The other option of course would be to visit a bar in Jetyod Rd, they are full of hill tribe women , who will be more than happy for the customer to practice his English on them , hahahahaha.

They could of course after buying the lady a drink or 8 , be invited somewhere ? Hahahaha and if they are lucky, a visit to the ladies mountain village may happen but of course they will have to buy lunch for the whole village and some feed for the sick buffalo .biggrin.png

(The forum software won't allow me to continue posting via the "quote" button, so I've had to copy and paste the last comment in this string.)

"You still haven't grasped it yet, have you, you continue to deride the OP's poor use of English despite being made aware that he is almost certainly not a native English speaker, not only is that extremely poor netiquette it's potentially also racist. Meanwhile you continue to defend and promote the entire population of English teachers in case, just in case mind you, someone somewhere says or thinks something bad about one of them, jeeze!

And as if that's not enough you ask, "why should we condone someone even casually going to a group of people to to teach them English", I ask, who the heck are you to have a say in such things and why does the OP or anyone else need your approval!! You've lost the plot my friend, you're so hung up on protecting the reputation of English teachers that you're creating huge amounts of collateral damage in the wake of it, political correctness personified."

My reply:

I said, "Why should we condone someone even casually going to a group of people to to teach them English MISTAKES?", and that is vastly different from what you quoted me saying. Furthermore, your sensationalist use of language in suggesting that I'm racist and politically incorrect is absolutely laughable. And actually, it's you who" fails to grasp the point" in that you're unable to see my true message. I suspect that you`ll offer another absurd rebuttal filled with more obvious sensationalist crap, and I suspect that some members will await it and actually believe your nonsense, but I won`t be one of them. I`m suspicious that you`re intentionally being obtuse just to...well...I`m not really sure why, but I won`t bother looking back at this thread.

(NOTE: I was composing this but got called to an emergency meeting, so I haven`t read any posts that were made in the past hour or so.

Fortunately, my desk has become very busy, so I won`t be back to Thaivisa for a long time. It`s bad enough that this forum can suck up and waste so much of one`s time, but to put up with so much garbage from some users makes it almost unbearable at times.)

Edited by Wavefloater

(The forum software won't allow me to continue posting via the "quote" button, so I've had to copy and paste the last comment in this string.)

"You still haven't grasped it yet, have you, you continue to deride the OP's poor use of English despite being made aware that he is almost certainly not a native English speaker, not only is that extremely poor netiquette it's potentially also racist. Meanwhile you continue to defend and promote the entire population of English teachers in case, just in case mind you, someone somewhere says or thinks something bad about one of them, jeeze!

And as if that's not enough you ask, "why should we condone someone even casually going to a group of people to to teach them English", I ask, who the heck are you to have a say in such things and why does the OP or anyone else need your approval!! You've lost the plot my friend, you're so hung up on protecting the reputation of English teachers that you're creating huge amounts of collateral damage in the wake of it, political correctness personified."

My reply:

I said, "Why should we condone someone even casually going to a group of people to to teach them English MISTAKES?", and that is vastly different from what you quoted me saying. Furthermore, your sensationalist use of language in suggesting that I'm racist and politically incorrect is absolutely laughable. And actually, it's you who" fails to grasp the point" in that you're unable to see my true message. I suspect that you`ll offer another absurd rebuttal filled with more obvious sensationalist crap, and I suspect that some members will await it and actually believe your nonsense, but I won`t be one of them. I`m suspicious that you`re intentionally being obtuse just to...well...I`m not really sure why, but I won`t bother looking back at this thread.

(NOTE: I was composing this but got called to an emergency meeting, so I haven`t read any posts that were made in the past hour or so.

Fortunately, my desk has become very busy, so I won`t be back to Thaivisa for a long time. It`s bad enough that this forum can suck up and waste so much of one`s time, but to put up with so much garbage from some users makes it almost unbearable at times.)

My reply:

Be aware, only if you speak English perfectly are you then allowed to go and visit a hilltribe village, others are banned for fear of passing on grammatical and/or pronounciation errors and in doing so, casting English teachers in general in an unfavorable light. Next step, grammar police guardians at border check points, the purity of English speakers must not be allowed to dilute or be contaminated!

• Like 1