Isaan Wedding

john ray

hi

I d like to know if it true that in traditionnal isaan law , mamma san of the village put yu a white bracelet on your left and right hand. or is it only for luck.

:o

Never herd or seen a white bracelet but as bronco said plenty of string

yeah. if fact i'm busy about the white string in the wrist. can yu tell me more about yhis tradition. who can married a girl in the village far from main street. the older of the vllage or a monk is required in any case

The white string is tied on the wrist to give good luck. Mainly during a ceremony called Bai sii or the very similar ceremony of marriage.

As far as i am aware the strings are tied on the wrist to bind the spirits to the wearer, and thus give good luck

The string should be left on for 3 days after which it can be cut off, however many prefer to leave the string on until it falls off naturally.

In fact the string can be put on the wrists at any religious occasion or when good luck is needed, sometimes it can be yellow or orange ( normally from a monk).

In the case of the bai sii or wedding you will find both wrist covered in maybe hundreds of string given from all attending, after the 3 days the main bulk of these will be cut off and 3 will be left on.

totster :o

I'm still wearing my strings on both wrists... got married up country 3 days ago.

Tonight it will be cut off, and stored in a safe place... probably with the buddhas we have on our indoor shrine (anyone know what that's called?)

I'm still wearing my strings on both wrists... got married up country 3 days ago.

Tonight it will be cut off, and stored in a safe place... probably with the buddhas we have on our indoor shrine (anyone know what that's called?)

Jai Dee, congrats on the hitching :D

I think the name of the indoor shrine is "San phat poom" but as usual, I stand to be corrected :o

The white string is tied on the wrist to give good luck. Mainly during a ceremony called Bai sii or the very similar ceremony of marriage.

As far as i am aware the strings are tied on the wrist to bind the spirits to the wearer, and thus give good luck

The string should be left on for 3 days after which it can be cut off, however many prefer to leave the string on until it falls off naturally.

In fact the string can be put on the wrists at any religious occasion or when good luck is needed, sometimes it can be yellow or orange ( normally from a monk).

In the case of the bai sii or wedding you will find both wrist covered in maybe hundreds of string given from all attending, after the 3 days the main bulk of these will be cut off and 3 will be left on.

Sawasdee Totster,

Thank you for not being an a..hole like some people on this site. And explaining about something that is very important to all Thai people.Some of these comments are why many Thais think mia dee of farang.

Can anyone help with a different query on Issan weddings?

This is planned for April and the fiancee is insistent I need to be there "1 month or 15 days before the wedding".

Now I'm not just going to fly in the day before, but wondered whether there was a specific reason for this, apart from the obvious one of planning?

And yes, I will be asking her, tomorrow actually. Its just that there are very compelling reasons why I have to be in the UK 13 days in advance of the planned date, so it may need to be put back if their are religious or "custom" reasons.

Sawasdee Totster,

Thank you for not being an a..hole like some people on this site. And explaining about something that is very important to all Thai people.Some of these comments are why many Thais think mia dee of farang.

As far as know the strings dont get cut off and are to be let on till they drop off, there by ensuring the luck will last. Also the only people who are entitled to put a string on are those who have given a gift.

This is planned for April and the fiancee is insistent I need to be there "1 month or 15 days before the wedding".

Now I'm not just going to fly in the day before, but wondered whether there was a specific reason for this, apart from the obvious one of planning?

And yes, I will be asking her, tomorrow actually. Its just that there are very compelling reasons why I have to be in the UK 13 days in advance of the planned date, so it may need to be put back if their are religious or "custom" reasons.

It may just be a custom thing for that area.....when I married in Buriram I got there about 4 days before the wedding....it could also be that depending on the size of the wedding that there are many things to arranged and be paid for....and that is why she wants you there beforehand. Also take note that the monks decide the day of the event...so that it falls on the luckiest date available.

ollie, from my memory your fiance is from Chumpuang same as my missus. I asked my wife to marry me, went to Bangkok to marry, and had the Thai wedding all in 4 days. Just came back to Chumpuang the day before the ceremony and my missus arranged everything locally. Hire of dress and suit from store in town centre, stage set up at parents home, 5 singers and dancers and disco, plus all the tables, chairs, etc. They're all available locally. Even the 150 guests came from all over Thailand in the 4 days notice. She's probably frightened you won't turn up unless she can keep hold of you. :o

ollie, from my memory your fiance is from Chumpuang same as my missus. I asked my wife to marry me, went to Bangkok to marry, and had the Thai wedding all in 4 days. Just came back to Chumpuang the day before the ceremony and my missus arranged everything locally. Hire of dress and suit from store in town centre, stage set up at parents home, 5 singers and dancers and disco, plus all the tables, chairs, etc. They're all available locally. Even the 150 guests came from all over Thailand in the 4 days notice. She's probably frightened you won't turn up unless she can keep hold of you. :o

Hi Dragonman,

You're right, she is from Chumpuang and we're actually discussing this via messenger as I type this - she hasn't mentioned anything about the scale of what you had, so I'd better ask her!!! The plan is to marry at her home then go to the amphur in Chumpuang then back to her home I guess - I haven't got that far yet!!!

I think you're right about why she wants me there so early. I'll be checking out those hotels you suggested as well and if its okay, I'll probably pm you for some more info?

Cheers :D