Concept 2 Rower Model D (Exercise For Fat Loss)

robblok

3 hours ago, superglue said:

The result with be a painful ass and a smaller bank account.

(If you're going to make a joke, at least be intelligent about it)

I never get a sore ass rowing and ski-erging is performed standing up. None of us own a BikeErg yet as they won't be available in Thailand until late next year. I have no idea what you mean by "smaller bank account". The machines are very affordable and the challenges are free.

The only result is that you'll become fitter and stronger.

8 hours ago, superglue said:

Mine cost B35k several years ago.

There's no way you bought a new Concept2 rower for 35k. I've seen 2nd hand ones going for around that or lower, but they are hard to come by and sell quickly. I imported mine for 56k back in 2012. The best deal I've seen lately is around 43k imported through a dealer in Penang, where I got my SkiErg this year, which ended up costing me about 45k all up.

But it doesn't matter whether you paid 35k or 56k, it's THE best value professional piece of cardio equipment you can get, bar none. It is virtually indestructible and requires very little maintenance. It will last you a lifetime if you follow just a few easy maintenance tasks. Mine still looks brand new after 5 1/2 years and about 4 million meters rowed. On top of that, it is regarded worldwide as the ultimate rowing erg, which all champion rowers use. It's a household name in the rowing world.

I use the SkiErg and rower and do a lot of resistance training with weights, but if I had to choose just one exercise it would be rowing. No other single exercise comes close to offering the same overall benefits. It might not be the funnest exercise in the world because it can get tough and tedious, but it's worth the effort.  

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, robblok said:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-get-ripped-on-the-rower

Seems others think the rower is a good thing too. 

It's definitely a great machine for cardio, but I wouldn't say it's the best. I would put my SkiErg ahead of it now. The main reason is it doesn't overstress the lower back and knees as a rower can easily do, so it's safer. Another reason is it is not as technique intensive as the rower. It doesn't really matter how you do it, you can't injure yourself as easily and there is no one perfect technique. For example, I can incorporate 3 different techniques in one session. Rowing takes a lot of time to learn and there really is only one perfect way to row, and doing it wrong can cause injuries. I find it easier to get my heart rate up on the SkiErg too.

For burning maximum calories per hour I'd choose a Cybex Arc Trainer, but they are hard to come by and way more expensive than the Concept2 equipment.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tropo said:

It's definitely a great machine for cardio, but I wouldn't say it's the best. I would put my SkiErg ahead of it now. The main reason is it doesn't overstress the lower back and knees as a rower can easily do, so it's safer. Another reason is it is not as technique intensive as the rower. It doesn't really matter how you do it, you can't injure yourself as easily and there is no one perfect technique. For example, I can incorporate 3 different techniques in one session. Rowing takes a lot of time to learn and there really is only one perfect way to row, and doing it wrong can cause injuries. I find it easier to get my heart rate up on the SkiErg too.

For burning maximum calories per hour I'd choose a Cybex Arc Trainer, but they are hard to come by and way more expensive than the Concept2 equipment.

I havent tried the ski erg yet but have the rower and a good elliptical (good quality one). Right now my gym is full can't get anything in it anymore. The gym looks great with all its new stuff (even something for my bars) and i got the gym painted and now have stuff neatly hanging on the wal. Now all i need to do is keep using all i got.

Tonight will do an other session and probably a farmers walk too with the kettebels in the park in front of the village. Really trying to get back into it all. 

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

I havent tried the ski erg yet but have the rower and a good elliptical (good quality one). Right now my gym is full can't get anything in it anymore. The gym looks great with all its new stuff (even something for my bars) and i got the gym painted and now have stuff neatly hanging on the wal. Now all i need to do is keep using all i got.

Tonight will do an other session and probably a farmers walk too with the kettebels in the park in front of the village. Really trying to get back into it all. 

I know what you mean. I had to think long and hard about the power rack but decided against it as my gym would be too cramped. I decided on another way to make squats safer that doesn't use much space. I'll save the money for the Concept2 BikeErg when it comes out. They don't hog a lot of space.

20 hours ago, tropo said:

I know what you mean. I had to think long and hard about the power rack but decided against it as my gym would be too cramped. I decided on another way to make squats safer that doesn't use much space. I'll save the money for the Concept2 BikeErg when it comes out. They don't hog a lot of space.

Try shermwork's freespotter.

It's work like monolift but a lot cheaper and can use as Jone machine.

I bought one in my gym and use with my power rack.

This is the most essential thing in my weightlifting room.

• Like 1

I just purchased the Concept 2 Model D  with PM 5 from Malaysia for $1,060.00

I'm told that there are still a few hoops to jump through and I'll post details about the import taxes and other delivery issues once it arrives at my door. 

Have to admit that I'm pretty excited to have my own rower.  Right now I do about 25,000 meters/week in two separate hour long sessions at the gym, but I'm expecting at least a 50% increase once the machine is actually in my home.

By the way, what do you guys use to prevent or reduce calluses?   

22 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

I'm told that there are still a few hoops to jump through and I'll post details about the import taxes and other delivery issues once it arrives at my door. 

Have to admit that I'm pretty excited to have my own rower.  Right now I do about 25,000 meters/week in two separate hour long sessions at the gym, but I'm expecting at least a 50% increase once the machine is actually in my home.

I bought my SkiErg from Aviron Enterprise in Penang - the same place I presume.

Add TNT Economy Express shipping to that. The SkiErg was $103 shipping. The SkiErg probably weighs a bit more. Add the 2 together and calculate 20% of the total and you'll get very close to what you'll pay for Customs/tax/TNT service fee. Assuming you're paying the same shipping as I did in August, you'll be paying about 7500 baht at the door when it arrives. The list price for the SkiErg is $1100.

Gloves will help with the calluses. I don't do long rows these days so bare hands are OK. You can scrub them off in the shower with an abrasive pad if you want to smooth them out. You can buy special rowing gloves on eBay. If you're interested I'll find the link. If you're rowing at home, try barefoot rowing. When you get used to it there's no going back to shoes.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Thanks for the info.

That $1060 included $90 for shipping.

OK, so I estimate you'll be paying 6784 baht when it arrives. Let's see how close I am. 

On 05/01/2018 at 4:26 PM, up-country_sinclair said:

I wear gloves I bought at Robinsons or Central. Jason brand. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

I wear gloves I bought at Robinsons or Central. Jason brand. 

I'd recommend the Gripmaster hand pads specially designed for rowing. You can get them with a seat pad too.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Seat+Pad+For+Concept+2+Rowers+%26+Gripmaster+Hand+Pads%2C+Free+Rapid+Delivery&_id=112500377568&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2658

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, TaveewatLim said:

Just got the pin of Holiday Challenge 2017.

20180314_162600.jpg

Wow. I didn't think they would actually send it. Congratulations.

I have been banned from rowing for 2 weeks by the doctor. Suffering from muscle sprain  in my right side around the lower ribs, probably caused by rowing without first warming up.

2 hours ago, TaveewatLim said:

Just got the pin of Holiday Challenge 2017.

How long was the challenge period you did 200,000 meters in? You mentioned last year you were having some injuries with rowing. Are you back to 100% again?

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Wow. I didn't think they would actually send it. Congratulations.

I have been banned from rowing for 2 weeks by the doctor. Suffering from muscle sprain  in my right side around the lower ribs, probably caused by rowing without first warming up.

I'm averaging about 160,000 meters a month, but split between the rower and SkiErg. It's nice to have an alternative cardio option if something doesn't feel right. The SkiErg gives the lower back and legs a break, while still getting the same cardio benefit. For example, last night I did 5000m on the rower and then 5000m on the SkiErg. That's a lot easier mentally than doing a straight 10,000m on either.

I've never been interested in all the challenges they put on. It causes too much of a disruption to my normal program.

News Alert! Big news this week on March 10: The 28-year-old Australian rower, Josh Dunkley-Smith, has just beaten Kiwi Rob Waddell's 2000m record that he held for 19 years.

5:35.8 to beat Rob Waddell's 5:36.6

http://row-360.com/josh-dunkley-smith-hangs-oars-shortly-breaking-2k-erg-world-record/

https://darkhorserowing.com/the-nearly-untouchable-2k-indoor-rowing-world-record/

I think he did this barefoot too, but I haven't seen a video. 

It's hard to fathom a row this fast.

5aa914c9c1306_New2000mrecord.jpg.4d2928d1ca1edd96414e16d0001ae826.jpg

Edited by tropo

14 hours ago, tropo said:

I'm averaging about 160,000 meters a month, but split between the rower and SkiErg. It's nice to have an alternative cardio option if something doesn't feel right. The SkiErg gives the lower back and legs a break, while still getting the same cardio benefit. For example, last night I did 5000m on the rower and then 5000m on the SkiErg. That's a lot easier mentally than doing a straight 10,000m on either.

I was averaging about 140,000 meters a month until this month. Should be back on it in another week or so. I do a lot more mixing and matching. At weekends I sometimes do a straight 30 minutes,followed by 6x500ms intervals, or 3 x 2,000m followed by 8x500m intervals, or 5,000m followed by 2,000, followed by 6x500m just to break the monotony.  On weekdays I keep it to 30 minutes before going to work  (Mondays and Fridays being my normal rest days). 

• 4 weeks later...

My condo building gym has an old (2006?) Concept2 badly in need of a service (no resistance on flywheel, worn out shock cord, etc.).

Concept2 in USA confirmed they have no distributor in Thailand. Does anyone know anywhere in Pattaya or Bangkok that can properly service a Concept2 rower?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, easeback said:

My condo building gym has an old (2006?) Concept2 badly in need of a service (no resistance on flywheel, worn out shock cord, etc.).

Concept2 in USA confirmed they have no distributor in Thailand. Does anyone know anywhere in Pattaya or Bangkok that can properly service a Concept2 rower?

Thanks in advance.

They have dealers in Thailand. Searasports sells them, perhaps they can help. If it was my machine I'd fix it myself. You can order a new shock cord and replace it yourself - that's not difficult, and the lack of resistance is merely dust accumulating in the flywheel cage and blocking the vent holes. Just open it up and blow it all out and you'll have resistance like new. If you put it on setting 10, what drag factor do you get? A new machine will give about 220, but resistance comes from your pull, not the machine. Optimum drag factor is about 110 - 130 for most people and I would be surprised if you can't get this much if you set the damper up to 10 even with a dust clogged flywheel cage. I needed to mention this because most people seem to think you need to set the damper high, which is wrong. I have mine set at between 3.0 and 4.5.

4 hours ago, easeback said:

Thanks in advance.

You can buy parts directly from C2.

First, you have to know what's your rower model? C or D. 

Next, go to Concept2 website and list parts that you want to replace. C2 have all of the informations and manual on their website, you can download and print, it's pdf format.

Next, contact C2 for buying parts by e-mail.

The most expensive part of rower is Performance mornitor, others is not expensive.

I suggest to replace all of the moving parts such as chain, shock cord and seat roller.

• 1 month later...

The muscle problem around the rib cage on my right hand side has paid me another visit. Definitely, not due to no warming up in this case.  Luckily a few days rest and the situation improves. I last rowed on Tuesday. Wednesday painful, Thursday tolerable and today just a pinching feeling so will be back on the rower again tomorrow.

I think perhaps it is from getting too intense on my intervals. That and that my spine is slightly curved which puts more pressure on my right hand side.    

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 3:36 PM, GarryP said:

The muscle problem around the rib cage on my right hand side has paid me another visit. Definitely, not due to no warming up in this case.  Luckily a few days rest and the situation improves. I last rowed on Tuesday. Wednesday painful, Thursday tolerable and today just a pinching feeling so will be back on the rower again tomorrow.

I think perhaps it is from getting too intense on my intervals. That and that my spine is slightly curved which puts more pressure on my right hand side.    

That is annoying, just try to find the cause if possible. You say its not about warming up.. maybe lack of salt /fluids ?. Maybe as you said your going at it to intense. Do a less intense session and see what happens. 

On 6/1/2018 at 3:36 PM, GarryP said:

You could also try a complete layoff for a week or so and come back gently. Judging by the workouts you've shown us here you're not really good and taking it easy. No joke - taking it easy can be the hardest thing to do. Taking a complete rest can be even harder for many.

• Like 1