Concept 2 Rower Model D (Exercise For Fat Loss)

robblok

8 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

What sort of warming up do you do?  I just sit down and row a moderate pace for and hour and make sure I get to over 12,000 meters.  No injuries yet (touch wood).

Just a deliberate slow row for the first 5 minutes should be fine if you're rowing at low intensity. If you're going for it, 5 minutes warm up and then 5 minutes of increasing your pace up to your full workout pace would work well.

29 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

What sort of warming up do you do?  I just sit down and row a moderate pace for and hour and make sure I get to over 12,000 meters.  No injuries yet (touch wood).

I try to start off slowly after doing a few stretches. 

My schedule is like this: Three working days a week I try to row 7kms before breakfast and heading off to the office. Weekends I try to do 10 kms a day.  I switch between 5kms, 2kms and 500m intervals. I am usually between 7:55 and 8:05 for a 2km row and 20:10 and 20:20 for a 5km row. When I do intervals I am now between 1:52 and 1:58 per 500m interval 1 min to 1:30 rest periods between intervals. 

This morning I only managed 5kms, not because of pain or stiffness. I just did not have the energy.

I have only once or twice done a 10 km row non-stop. But I used to do non-stop 30 minute rows most of the time and my averages got up to 7,200 to 7,350ms  (best ever was 7,449ms) before I switched things around at the suggestion of Tropo. I must admit that switching between distances and intervals is way is less boring  but you tend to exert more effort, quite a bit more. 

I've been wanting to get a C2 Rower for a while (had one back home)

Seara in Bangkok sells them but they overprice the hell out of them (can't remember how much but I was thinking 75k)

Aviron Racing (in Penang, Malaysia) are (or were) selling them with door to door shipping for 1055 USD but ... apparently TNT  would need to send someone to pickup my passport for a "few days" while they create an electronic importers account.

I have found that to be quite strange I asked my partner at the time if she'd let TNT get her Thai ID (and was hoping to not get the farang price) but she said hell no..  also I am quite wary of them being able to charge whatever they want for this document and then for taxes instead of the correct amounts (something UPS likes to do to Canadians) and then if I refuse they either keep the package or return it and who knows if i'd get a refund

if anyone has any idea about where to get one (Model D, black) (in the 50k range without all the faffing..) i'm listening.

4 hours ago, kekalot said:

I've been wanting to get a C2 Rower for a while (had one back home)

Seara in Bangkok sells them but they overprice the hell out of them (can't remember how much but I was thinking 75k)

Aviron Racing (in Penang, Malaysia) are (or were) selling them with door to door shipping for 1055 USD but ... apparently TNT  would need to send someone to pickup my passport for a "few days" while they create an electronic importers account.

I have found that to be quite strange I asked my partner at the time if she'd let TNT get her Thai ID (and was hoping to not get the farang price) but she said hell no..  also I am quite wary of them being able to charge whatever they want for this document and then for taxes instead of the correct amounts (something UPS likes to do to Canadians) and then if I refuse they either keep the package or return it and who knows if i'd get a refund

if anyone has any idea about where to get one (Model D, black) (in the 50k range without all the faffing..) i'm listening.

I bought mine from East West Fitness CrossFit Equipment on Sukhumvit 69. Check out their facebook page. I bought two from them. But you will have to pay for delivery. However, Aviron will work out even cheaper. One of the posters on this thread bought equipment from Aviron. I also bought a Heart Rate Monitor from them and the service was very good. 

cool, checked their website which seems to be a rip off from Rogue Fitness website, haha

the price is semi fair I guess (59k) but I think it's obtainable around the 45-50k range either directly with C2 (they would ship here) or with Aviron Racing

I will look into it within two months, i don't really have the space to put it right now so would have to move to a place with 2 bedrooms (not as much as an headache as it sounds)

thanks, I really need to get back in shape, have an extra 2-3kg to lose, 555

2 minutes ago, kekalot said:

cool, checked their website which seems to be a rip off from Rogue Fitness website, haha

the price is semi fair I guess (59k) but I think it's obtainable around the 45-50k range either directly with C2 (they would ship here) or with Aviron Racing

I will look into it within two months, i don't really have the space to put it right now so would have to move to a place with 2 bedrooms (not as much as an headache as it sounds)

I think C2 will put you in touch with Aviron, or you will find that the shipment is routed via Aviron.  East West may agree to lower the price by 2 or 3 thousand if they have any in stock. 

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

I bought mine from East West Fitness CrossFit Equipment on Sukhumvit 69. Check out their facebook page. I bought two from them. But you will have to pay for delivery. However, Aviron will work out even cheaper. One of the posters on this thread bought equipment from Aviron. I also bought a Heart Rate Monitor from them and the service was very good. 

I bought my SkiErg from Aviron in Penang last year. Yes, I did give them my passport to register with customers. A TNT agent arrived at my door in a TNT van. I gave him my passport, took a photo of him and van rego plate, and stressed out a bit until I got it back 2 days later, by the same courier in a TNT van. It's no big deal and the price is right. For anyone super stressed about handing over their passport they can do it themselves.

2 hours ago, kekalot said:

Space is not a problem. The rower is quickly separated into 2 pieces that can be stored upright in a very small space.  

Note: if you do go ahead with a purchase from Aviron and you have a US dollar account, send US dollars by bank wire. It will save you on the MYR price which is processed through PayPal. That saved me about $100. I have free bank wires, so the savings will depend on your transfer costs.

Edited by tropo

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Space is not a problem. The rower is quickly separated into 2 pieces that can be stored upright in a very small space.  

Note: if you do go ahead with a purchase from Aviron and you have a US dollar account, send US dollars by bank wire. It will save you on the MYR price which is processed through PayPal. That saved me about $100. I have free bank wires, so the savings will depend on your transfer costs.

yeah i know about the space, I owned two Models Ds before, one before I moved here and one that I ordered after with Amazon and meant to bring here but they literally shipped it in two plastic bags so I returned it

do you recall how much the taxes were on the SkiErg?

I'm just trying to guess how much it would be for the C2.. also can't wait until they get the BikeErg!.. I'm tempted to send one here myself manually ;\

5 hours ago, kekalot said:

yeah i know about the space, I owned two Models Ds before, one before I moved here and one that I ordered after with Amazon and meant to bring here but they literally shipped it in two plastic bags so I returned it

do you recall how much the taxes were on the SkiErg?

I'm just trying to guess how much it would be for the C2.. also can't wait until they get the BikeErg!.. I'm tempted to send one here myself manually ;\

I couldn't recall, but I checked my docs...

Here's exactly what I paid last August. SkiErg = USD 1203

Customs Duty, tax and misc = 5287 baht (TNT to the door - no more to pay).

So that's about 43,000 baht total (can't remember the exchange rate at the time), to the door. The SkiErg is a little more expensive than the rower.

On 6/3/2018 at 7:59 PM, tropo said:

You could also try a complete layoff for a week or so and come back gently. Judging by the workouts you've shown us here you're not really good and taking it easy. No joke - taking it easy can be the hardest thing to do. Taking a complete rest can be even harder for many.

Taking a complete rest or doing things slower are hard for many (myself included). Its hard to slow down when you still have not reached your goals. Also what i think is more a problem is getting back with the program after having been on a break. You make something part of your lifestyle and then you exclude it. I always have startup problems after a break. Like less motivation and not doing all planned sessions (because of having to re adjust to doing it again making it part of life again and its regularity). That is why I personally (cant speak for everyone) find it hard to stop once i break up a routine its often hard to get back at it. This of course depends on the duration of the break.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Taking a complete rest or doing things slower are hard for many (myself included). Its hard to slow down when you still have not reached your goals. Also what i think is more a problem is getting back with the program after having been on a break. You make something part of your lifestyle and then you exclude it. I always have startup problems after a break. Like less motivation and not doing all planned sessions (because of having to re adjust to doing it again making it part of life again and its regularity). That is why I personally (cant speak for everyone) find it hard to stop once i break up a routine its often hard to get back at it. This of course depends on the duration of the break.

It certainly is a difficult thing for many to do after hitting it hard for the longest time... but it's a skill well worth exploring.

As you've never been injured you probably haven't had a lot of experience with injury layoffs. Sometimes there isn't a choice. 

It's actually very easy to come back after time off because those workouts should be some of the lightest, easiest workouts of the year. If you try to come back too fast, then you've wasted many of the benefits of your layoff. A slow gradual increase of intensity is the way to do it.

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

It certainly is a difficult thing for many to do after hitting it hard for the longest time... but it's a skill well worth exploring.

As you've never been injured you probably haven't had a lot of experience with injury layoffs. Sometimes there isn't a choice. 

It's actually very easy to come back after time off because those workouts should be some of the lightest, easiest workouts of the year. If you try to come back too fast, then you've wasted many of the benefits of your layoff. A slow gradual increase of intensity is the way to do it.

I think for me deloads (training at lower intensity) after a period or hard exercise work better. Not because I fear muscle loss or strength (does not happen that fast can take weeks even a few months). 

Its more that I am a very habitual - controlled kind of guy, once i add something and keep doing it i make it part of my habits but once I take it out completely I find it hard to add it again. Adding stuff again like going back to training is just the hardest for me. Its just how I am you are not like that but for me its how I live. I always try to wake up at the same time. Do the same routine (not necessarily training). Like switch on the computer go and weigh my oats put some water with them to soak them make a shake, consume the shake and look a bit at the news then zap the oats and eat them. 

I just like structure, that is why i hate total stops. 

Of course I have layoffs but not many from injury (almost none), and I do start like you say. You can't go full speed at once unless you want to be incapacitated from all the muscle soreness. So I don't gradual increase again easing into it. 

I must do more deloads, especially after a period of having increased workouts and going at it full throttle, but yes as you said before some people have only one setting that is full out. But I am trying and learning.

Oh you were right about weighted pull ups, I tried them today with 5 kg and got to my 4 x 6 (with some trouble the last set and less then perfect form). But I think your right its the only way to go up. Just always had a mental block that I wanted to increase my non weighted first to I could do say 4 x 10 or so. But I never ever seemed to really get far. I am talking wide grip palms facing away.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I think for me deloads (training at lower intensity) after a period or hard exercise work better. Not because I fear muscle loss or strength (does not happen that fast can take weeks even a few months). 

Its more that I am a very habitual - controlled kind of guy, once i add something and keep doing it i make it part of my habits but once I take it out completely I find it hard to add it again. Adding stuff again like going back to training is just the hardest for me. Its just how I am you are not like that but for me its how I live. I always try to wake up at the same time. Do the same routine (not necessarily training). Like switch on the computer go and weigh my oats put some water with them to soak them make a shake, consume the shake and look a bit at the news then zap the oats and eat them. 

I just like structure, that is why i hate total stops. 

Of course I have layoffs but not many from injury (almost none), and I do start like you say. You can't go full speed at once unless you want to be incapacitated from all the muscle soreness. So I don't gradual increase again easing into it. 

I must do more deloads, especially after a period of having increased workouts and going at it full throttle, but yes as you said before some people have only one setting that is full out. But I am trying and learning.

Oh you were right about weighted pull ups, I tried them today with 5 kg and got to my 4 x 6 (with some trouble the last set and less then perfect form). But I think your right its the only way to go up. Just always had a mental block that I wanted to increase my non weighted first to I could do say 4 x 10 or so. But I never ever seemed to really get far. I am talking wide grip palms facing away.  

I understand perfectly why you find it hard to stop. Once again, I mean no disrespect, but your personality type (I won't use the clinical term here) works that way. A lot of top professional sports people have the same personality type. At the highest level, it's probably a pre-requisite.

I can train early one day and late at night the next. It doesn't phase me in the slightest, and I can always take guilt-free days or weeks and even months off for any one of a number of reasons. Sure, it's not the way for optimum performance, but I'm no race to get to any specific level, and the older I get the less important all of that becomes.

One thing is for sure... if something hurts, it won't stop hurting until the injury is taken care of, which normally requires drastic alteration of workouts or layoffs. If you keep irritating an injury, the best you can hope for is not losing size or strength, however, if you keep trying to work through it, there's a risk the injury could become chronic (dare I say permanent) and very difficult to fix.

Gary P is in need of an alternative form of cardio exercise. If one hurts, do the other. That's the reason why I bought a SkiErg.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, tropo said:

I understand perfectly why you find it hard to stop. Once again, I mean no disrespect, but your personality type (I won't use the clinical term here) works that way. A lot of top professional sports people have the same personality type. At the highest level, it's probably a pre-requisite.

I can train early one day and late at night the next. It doesn't phase me in the slightest, and I can always take guilt-free days or weeks and even months off for any one of a number of reasons. Sure, it's not the way for optimum performance, but I'm no race to get to any specific level, and the older I get the less important all of that becomes.

One thing is for sure... if something hurts, it won't stop hurting until the injury is taken care of, which normally requires drastic alteration of workouts or layoffs. If you keep irritating an injury, the best you can hope for is not losing size or strength, however, if you keep trying to work through it, there's a risk the injury could become chronic (dare I say permanent) and very difficult to fix.

Gary P is in need of an alternative form of cardio exercise. If one hurts, do the other. That's the reason why I bought a SkiErg.

I have no problems changing when i train, i trained at night on Monday, and now again today during the afternoon. If the day requires I just adapt to it. Its more that I am used to training so many days a week. Though I can miss a day too without much of a problem. The problem starts when it becomes intentional or bored. If I want to go fishing I go fishing and don't train its that simple. I think routine goes more for the cardio part, the normal training part I am quite flexible with. Because I know it does not really matter anymore. But experience has taught me once i start skipping cardio or things I see as cardio I hardly ever start good again. 

Training I experienced breaks and interruptions quite often always came back to it. Had 3 months off because of sleep problems and started again, so that really does not phase me at all. I have a yearly break when my parents are here too no problems. Rowing as you noticed havent done it much.. why.. because its mainly out of my program because its not something I particularly enjoy. That is why with cardio related exercise i try to stay fanatic. With those its either full speed or full stop. 

I might now be a little more fanatic as before as I am getting the results I want and it all comes together diet exercise and cardio. Just dont like breaking something that works. I feel I am getting close to where I want to be.

@Tropo

Think i went a bit over the top describing routine, its more that i like to start my normal job at around  9.00 and finish around 17:00 could be later or earlier depending on work. So that is why i like to wake up around the same time. I like to keep that routine because I have seen what happens to people who have no boss to supervise them and not follow a routine. They fail miserably at being productive. As for the eating thing its just easy to make a shake first then soak the oats a bit while doing something else, be its posting or reading news, its not like in those movies where everything has to be in place. 

I could do my morning walks with the weights at 7:30 but could be 8:10 too that varies with how late i wake up, when I mean around the same time it does not mean exactly. Just prefer to be at real work around 9:00 but if i wake up earlier then i start earlier and stop earlier. I think calling it structure would do it better justice.

But with stuff like cardio I have to really keep to doing it not skip it otherwise its so easy to skip an other time and an other time and stop. No such problems with normal training (so far also not with my walks). I think I might have given the wrong impression with description of structure. I really need it for cardio as its either full on or full stop. Once i start stopping there (the rowing at least) it gets worse and worse. I had a nice routine for the elliptical, guess what its a lot less now too. I just know myself not mentally tough enough to be flexible with that. 

36 minutes ago, robblok said:

@Tropo

Think i went a bit over the top describing routine, its more that i like to start my normal job at around  9.00 and finish around 17:00 could be later or earlier depending on work. So that is why i like to wake up around the same time. I like to keep that routine because I have seen what happens to people who have no boss to supervise them and not follow a routine. They fail miserably at being productive. As for the eating thing its just easy to make a shake first then soak the oats a bit while doing something else, be its posting or reading news, its not like in those movies where everything has to be in place. 

I could do my morning walks with the weights at 7:30 but could be 8:10 too that varies with how late i wake up, when I mean around the same time it does not mean exactly. Just prefer to be at real work around 9:00 but if i wake up earlier then i start earlier and stop earlier. I think calling it structure would do it better justice.

But with stuff like cardio I have to really keep to doing it not skip it otherwise its so easy to skip an other time and an other time and stop. No such problems with normal training (so far also not with my walks). I think I might have given the wrong impression with description of structure. I really need it for cardio as its either full on or full stop. Once i start stopping there (the rowing at least) it gets worse and worse. I had a nice routine for the elliptical, guess what its a lot less now too. I just know myself not mentally tough enough to be flexible with that. 

It's ironic that you don't like rowing no more because you started this thread in 2012 and the 2 of us were the main contributors at that time. Do I enjoy rowing? If I was honest I would say I don't like any cardio routines, no matter what it is. It's not what I do for enjoyment, that's for sure.

Yes, I did get the impression you were more regimented than you actually are - hence my reference to the obsessive personality type. It seems like you are fairly flexible.

I've been through the fanatical period of training, but that was when I was a teenager or early 20's. Back then I would panic if the gym was closed LOL. When my gym closed for the Christmas break I would be searching for another gym that was still open. Christmas breaks used to stress me out. I was so fanatical those days that when I had my big motorcycle smash, at age 23, I was doing ab crunches in the hospital bed while my leg was in traction (waiting for surgery) and my other arm hanging up in a sling, with IV line attached. That was the only movement I still had. I can definitely say that my fanaticism caused a lot of injuries and slowed down my progress.

Perhaps I am a bit fanatical. I  workout on both Saturday and Sunday and and plan for Tues, Wed, and Thurs, taking Mon and Fri off. However, if I miss a planned weekday, I will make up for that by using a Monday or Friday. Don't know if its my OCD personality or not. 

When the doctor told me to stop for 6 weeks, I stopped for that period only, no more. And started straight back in again. 

I am considering buying a multi-gym type apparatus second hand to do some resistance training but I will not reduce cardio on the rower. Just do the resistance training on Sat and Sun. 

Over the past few months I have found it much easier to workout at 6:15 am on weekdays than after 8:30 on weekends. I have the air-conditioning and the fan on so I am not sure why the weekends feel so much harder. Perhaps there is a slight difference in temp as the room gets the early morning sun so by the time I turn on the aircon on the weekend the room is already quite warm, as opposed to earlier on the weekdays. Maybe it takes much longer to cool the room down.  

10 hours ago, tropo said:

It's ironic that you don't like rowing no more because you started this thread in 2012 and the 2 of us were the main contributors at that time. Do I enjoy rowing? If I was honest I would say I don't like any cardio routines, no matter what it is. It's not what I do for enjoyment, that's for sure.

Yes, I did get the impression you were more regimented than you actually are - hence my reference to the obsessive personality type. It seems like you are fairly flexible.

I've been through the fanatical period of training, but that was when I was a teenager or early 20's. Back then I would panic if the gym was closed LOL. When my gym closed for the Christmas break I would be searching for another gym that was still open. Christmas breaks used to stress me out. I was so fanatical those days that when I had my big motorcycle smash, at age 23, I was doing ab crunches in the hospital bed while my leg was in traction (waiting for surgery) and my other arm hanging up in a sling, with IV line attached. That was the only movement I still had. I can definitely say that my fanaticism caused a lot of injuries and slowed down my progress.

I am thinking of starting to row again, but at a far lesser frequency. But with cardio I would always go a bit overboard as in doing it often and getting bored with it. But also, once i quit once it was so much easier to quit the next time. The thing is quitting with loaded carries is a lot harder. I mean I can only quite once i pass my house once I am passed it it makes more sense to go on walking. 

Right now for instance I woke up a  lot earlier then normal, not by plan but my gf had a friend over that had to work early. That resulted in me waking up earlier too. I will be doing the walking a bit earlier and start working earlier. That means I stop earlier too. I really do try to keep certain working hours. I have noticed if you get too flexible with that in the end you don't work much. I got plenty of work to do. Because of how my work comes in 1 month of crazy work and then 2 months at a speed I can decide I have to be careful those 2 months by getting lazy and not doing the work i can do. That is why I keep certain hours just to force myself to be productive.

I am flexible with my food too its just that I just plan ahead when i shop and oats is not hard to make. Gf takes care of my salad meal (got one big salad meal a day). The other meal is flexible can be many things. Some days I just fire up the bread maker and I eat special bread from IKEA with salmon (i know fish oil is good but getting it from the fish is supposed to be better). But i do still weigh all my foods (not the salad) to keep track of what I am ingesting. But that is just because I can't afford to make mistakes with the slow thyroid. 

Gym wise I was real fanatic when i was in my 20ies, now I aim for 4 sessions (was thinking of 5 but if I do too much i might skip it anyway) but sometimes 4 sessions are 3 sessions.. does not often happen that it gets below 3 sessions. Reason I am not that crazy worried about normal gym routine is that the gains are really slow (if any) so it does not make sense to go crazy. Maintenance takes far less work then building. I still think there are points I can improve on like abs (not only fat loss but also size) and my traps and shoulders are showing improvement from what I have been doing. I might be able to get my squats and legs up a bit. But that is about it its more about sculpting now then actual huge gains. But with a 2 kg gain per year as a max why worry if you miss a session or not. 

But with cardio it was more like.. if I find an excuse to terminate 1 session its so much easier to terminate a second session. Its unfortunately the way I work. That is why with cardio I like routine and once I build it in my routine I like to keep it that way and not letting it slip.

9 hours ago, GarryP said:

Perhaps I am a bit fanatical. I  workout on both Saturday and Sunday and and plan for Tues, Wed, and Thurs, taking Mon and Fri off. However, if I miss a planned weekday, I will make up for that by using a Monday or Friday. Don't know if its my OCD personality or not. 

When the doctor told me to stop for 6 weeks, I stopped for that period only, no more. And started straight back in again. 

I am considering buying a multi-gym type apparatus second hand to do some resistance training but I will not reduce cardio on the rower. Just do the resistance training on Sat and Sun. 

Over the past few months I have found it much easier to workout at 6:15 am on weekdays than after 8:30 on weekends. I have the air-conditioning and the fan on so I am not sure why the weekends feel so much harder. Perhaps there is a slight difference in temp as the room gets the early morning sun so by the time I turn on the aircon on the weekend the room is already quite warm, as opposed to earlier on the weekdays. Maybe it takes much longer to cool the room down.  

I no longer make up for sessions (though occasionally if i skipped too many sessions in the gym during the week I train in the weekends to make sure I make at least 3 sessions a week. This often happens when I plan a fishing day during the week.

If you need advice on a multi gym apparatus do consult Tropo and me before buying. What you need depends on a few things.

I think what your saying is true even though i put the aircon on a certain temp it does not always reach it or stay that way if i exercise during a truly hot day. That of course influences cardio a lot. 

9 hours ago, robblok said:

I think what your saying is true even though i put the aircon on a certain temp it does not always reach it or stay that way if i exercise during a truly hot day. That of course influences cardio a lot. 

If that's the case, then maybe your air conditioner is underpowered or you're setting it too low. The climate in my gym is always exactly the same irrespective of outside temperatures. I usually turn it on about 15 - 30 minutes before I start my workout. My room stays between 26.5 - 27C (as the compressor cycles on and off) and 50 - 60% humidity. That's not cold, but I blow fans too.

Edited by tropo

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

If that's the case, then maybe your air conditioner is underpowered or you're setting it too low. The climate in my gym is always exactly the same irrespective of outside temperatures. I usually turn it on about 15 - 30 minutes before I start my workout. My room stays between 26.5 - 27C (as the compressor cycles on and off) and 50 - 60% humidity. That's not cold, but I blow fans too.

They said it should that i should have a 9000 btu there  and i always get to 26 or below i set it at 22, got one of those better quality ones Mitsubishi is a good brand for airco's. 

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

They said it should that i should have a 9000 btu there  and i always get to 26 or below i set it at 22, got one of those better quality ones Mitsubishi is a good brand for airco's. 

You should set it to 26 then, because if it doesn't reach 22C, then the compressor will stay on for the duration, trying to get there. My compressor is 18,000 BTU, but I don't even know if it could get to 22C.

55 minutes ago, tropo said:

Turn mine on 5 minutes before my workout. Don't have much time on weekdays. I don't want to set it to start automatically as some days I may not work out due to switching. 

Hi Guy's, for your info i record all stats for my HR on the various cardio exercises i do and the Rowing figs are slightly lower than the other activities i do and even when i was doing straight rows for say 30 mins i could never substantially increase the Kilometers i was doing even over a long period..

It is quite interesting comparing the various exercises and generally the average HR for each exercise is not much different.

Incidently the rower i use is not a concept but some other make but i can't see that that would make a difference especially on HR's.

2 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Hi Guy's, for your info i record all stats for my HR on the various cardio exercises i do and the Rowing figs are slightly lower than the other activities i do and even when i was doing straight rows for say 30 mins i could never substantially increase the Kilometers i was doing even over a long period..

It is quite interesting comparing the various exercises and generally the average HR for each exercise is not much different.

Incidently the rower i use is not a concept but some other make but i can't see that that would make a difference especially on HR's.

I don't get any of this. I can dial in whatever heart rate I desire when I row, including all the way to my maximum heart rate. If the rate is too low, row harder. It's the same with any exercise - the harder you work it the higher the heart rate.  Try maintaining a 1000 calorie per hour pace - I'm pretty sure you'll see some decently high heart rate numbers unless you're very fit. If that's too low, row at 1200 calorie per hour pace. 

9 hours ago, tropo said:

I don't get any of this. I can dial in whatever heart rate I desire when I row, including all the way to my maximum heart rate. If the rate is too low, row harder. It's the same with any exercise - the harder you work it the higher the heart rate.  Try maintaining a 1000 calorie per hour pace - I'm pretty sure you'll see some decently high heart rate numbers unless you're very fit. If that's too low, row at 1200 calorie per hour pace. 

I thought it would be you out of everyone who would find fault on this !  i can dial in ?????  if you read my post properly i said "generally the average HR" now if you can obtain your Max HR as an average over a long period then fair play to you but somehow i think that you won't be able too,   i'm obviously talking about maximum effort on each exercise and the associated average  Heart rate.

12 hours ago, alfieconn said:

When I first got my rower I started out at about 6,450 meters in 30 minutes. Two months later I was averaging about 6,800 and in the third month I broke the 7,000 barrier. However, I have pretty much been stuck in the 7,200 to 7,350 range for the last year. I do not believe I will be able to improve much on that. The differences between rows are a matter of 10's of meters not 100's of meters now.  Also the heart rate on those rows does not vary much from one row to another, but it is well up there at 130's to 140's. 

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

When I first got my rower I started out at about 6,450 meters in 30 minutes. Two months later I was averaging about 6,800 and in the third month I broke the 7,000 barrier. However, I have pretty much been stuck in the 7,200 to 7,350 range for the last year. I do not believe I will be able to improve much on that. The differences between rows are a matter of 10's of meters not 100's of meters now.  Also the heart rate on those rows does not vary much from one row to another, but it is well up there at 130's to 140's. 

Thanks for that, a shame the gym i use doesn't have a concept to enable me to compare distances rowed with other poster's, my average heart rate over the last 5 months on a 30 mins row (  all different types) is 135 BPM, against running, 30 mins ( incline, interval,  same pace run's) 139 BPM and boxing, 30 mins ( bag work, pad work with a trainer) is 137 BPM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

Thanks for that, a shame the gym i use doesn't have a concept to enable me to compare distances rowed with other poster's, my average heart rate over the last 5 months on a 30 mins row (  all different types) is 135 BPM, against running, 30 mins ( incline, interval,  same pace run's) 139 BPM and boxing, 30 mins ( bag work, pad work with a trainer) is 137 BPM.

Does it not have something to do with motivation, i mean if you can keep your heart-rate up for one activity at a certain rate for 30 minutes you should be able to do the same for other activities. I deduce this (could be wrong) because the highest is when you are doing bag work with a trainer. Maybe you can just push yourself more at certain exercises.