Concept 2 Rower Model D (Exercise For Fat Loss)

robblok

36 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Anyway, the endorphine highs, keeping fit, feeling good about myself are all the motivation I need (so far).

I never get this "endorphin high" that many people speak of. Where can I get that? Mostly I get a sense of relief that it's all over when I'm done with whatever exercise routine I'm doing. My motivation comes from a desire to keep my body in shape and maintain as much fitness (and circulatory health) as I can as I age. Bear in mind that I'm comparing my performance (fitness & strength) over a period of more than 4 decades, so anything I achieve now, even if it's good for this year, is a far cry from my peak performance. This is not necessarily a bad thing though. It makes it easier just to cruise along and be content with my current performance as I'm not killing myself to beat any records.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some open finger gloves to prevent calluses from rowing, and for the most part they work except for my middle fingers. I have calluses just below my first knuckle, beyond the reach of the gloves and it is quite prominent and very hard. It scratches if I rub my hand against my skin. Any suggestions? Tropo mentioned hand pads or something like that before but I have been unable to locate the post. Obviously, I do not want full finger gloves. BTW my fingers are quite long.

Edited by GarryP

7 hours ago, GarryP said:

I bought some open finger gloves to prevent calluses from rowing, and for the most part they work except for my middle fingers. I have calluses just below my first knuckle, beyond the reach of the gloves and it is quite prominent and very hard. It scratches if I rub my hand against my skin. Any suggestions? Tropo mentioned hand pads or something like that before but I have been unable to locate the post. Obviously, I do not want full finger gloves. BTW my fingers are quite long.

I don't use gloves anymore, but I also don't have a callous problem... but don't normally row over 20 minutes these days. I have special gloves I bought designed for rowing, but haven't used them yet. I'll look for them and post a photo. I bought them on eBay last year.

It's quite easy to get rid of those callouses. Just buy an abrasive pumice stone or synthetic equivalent and rub the hell out of it in the shower with soap. A couple of days and it should be gone.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 5:14 PM, tropo said:

I never get this "endorphin high" that many people speak of. Where can I get that? Mostly I get a sense of relief that it's all over when I'm done with whatever exercise routine I'm doing. My motivation comes from a desire to keep my body in shape and maintain as much fitness (and circulatory health) as I can as I age. Bear in mind that I'm comparing my performance (fitness & strength) over a period of more than 4 decades, so anything I achieve now, even if it's good for this year, is a far cry from my peak performance. This is not necessarily a bad thing though. It makes it easier just to cruise along and be content with my current performance as I'm not killing myself to beat any records.

It doesn't exist.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JohnDyson said:

It doesn't exist.

I've heard about the "runner's high", but never experienced it. That might be because I've never been a runner or jogger. I'm going to start supplementing with Glutathione in a few weeks when it arrives here from iHerb. That's supposed to deliver an energy boost. I'll see what happens...

18 hours ago, tropo said:

I don't use gloves anymore, but I also don't have a callous problem... but don't normally row over 20 minutes these days. I have special gloves I bought designed for rowing, but haven't used them yet. I'll look for them and post a photo. I bought them on eBay last year.

It's quite easy to get rid of those callouses. Just buy an abrasive pumice stone or synthetic equivalent and rub the hell out of it in the shower with soap. A couple of days and it should be gone.

Here are the gloves I bought on eBay from a UK seller. They are called Concept2 Gripmaster. It came with the seat pad that my wife wanted, but now she doesn't row LOL.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seat-Pad-For-Concept-2-Rowers-Gripmaster-Hand-Pads-Free-Rapid-Delivery/323475518087?hash=item4b50a4b287:g:QcEAAOSwC3daktjY:rk:1:pf:0

I haven't tested them out yet as I row barehand, but they look like they could do a good job.

Edited by tropo
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JohnDyson said:

It doesn't exist.

Don't know whether it is endorphins or something else, but I always feel better AFTER I have worked out - not while I am exercising so it is clearly not a runner's high if such a thing even exists. I am in a better mood, physically feel better, more awake, etc. a general feeling of wellness.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

Don't know whether it is endorphins or something else, but I always feel better AFTER I have worked out - not while I am exercising so it is clearly not a runner's high if such a thing even exists. I am in a better mood, physically feel better, more awake, etc. a general feeling of wellness.  

That's really good considering how hard, often and long you push yourself. Some exercise sessions wipe me out and I'm done for the day. I have to time them right.

On 10/17/2018 at 10:34 AM, GarryP said:

Don't know whether it is endorphins or something else, but I always feel better AFTER I have worked out - not while I am exercising so it is clearly not a runner's high if such a thing even exists.

Runner's high is elusive, but definitely exists.  I've never experienced it doing any other type of exercise, including rowing.

40 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Runner's high is elusive, but definitely exists.  I've never experienced it doing any other type of exercise, including rowing.

I've rowed for over 30 years and never experienced a high from it. I get a sense of relief when I'm done (phew - thank God that's over) - does that count? Yeah, I could call it a feeling of accomplishment if it has been a particularly good session, but I wouldn't call it a "high".

Regarding running, I'm sure most oldies who are still running have injuries that reduce any feelings of being "high". Walking in the Park, I see so many older runners that appear to be in agony, torturing themselves, but still they plod on in the hope they are doing something useful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I completed the Skeleton Crew Halloween challenge (31,000 meters between 25 and 31 October) this morning, two days ahead of the deadline. This is one of the easier challenges and hence my participation. However, I did notice that I am the only participant from Thailand to have completed it so far. Taveewat where are you? 

I have managed to pull up my monthly average to 112,000 meters but with only 2 days left there is no way I'll be able to pull it up to my target of 120,000. I think that is going to take a couple more months. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Beck1976 said:

Anyone participating in the challenge that just started?

https://log.concept2.com/challenges/holiday?_ga=2.51636521.1445184386.1542921571-83004216.1542921571

Havent been rowing much lately, biking and running instead, but since I got problems with my achillies, it seems obvious for me to give my running shoes a rest, and give this a go.

I have started on this one. Not sure I will complete it as I am going away for a week, but will try my best. Already got 10kms down and should get another 16 or so at the weekend.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/23/2018 at 9:38 AM, GarryP said:

I have started on this one. Not sure I will complete it as I am going away for a week, but will try my best. Already got 10kms down and should get another 16 or so at the weekend.

Completed the Holiday Challenge a few days ago (100,000m). Still a further week to go but won't hit the 200,000 meters mark. The leader of the challenge is at 3,250,000 meters. I can only guess that he is retired. 

I noted that so far there are only two people from Thailand who have completed the challenge. 

I noticed another rower in Thailand has joined the Holiday Challenge. 

What I really don't understand is what are the surrounding factors for performance. Some days I feel good and full or energy but performance is not that great and other times I feel only so so and force myself to row but end up with good figures. This morning is a good example. On Sunday I did 10km (not at once but 5 km, 500mx4 intervals and then 3km), Sunday night I did not sleep well and Monday was my day off. Monday night only average sleep, 7 hours, (going to bed with gas) and had to really push myself to get out of bed at 6 a.m. this morning. But did my season's best 5,000m row.  There is no way in the world that I felt up to it, but there it is 19:50.6.  I am not even going to try to fathom it out as it does not make sense.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Beck1976 said:

I completely failed this challenge. My intentions were good, my performance pathetic. Can only improve in the year to come, I guess....

When I first started my performance was not that great either. It took nearly 2 months before I was able to do a 30 minute row. For 30 minutes I was at between 6,200 to 6,600m for another month or so. I am now in my second full season on the rower and a 30 minute row is between 7,300 to 7,500m. But I mostly do shorter distances now and mix it up, e.g. 5km followed by 3km and 4 x 500m intervals (at weekends I try to do 10km on Saturday and another 10km on Sunday). Weekdays - I only work out 3 days and between 5 and 7km. 

It takes time to get where you want to be.   

On 12/31/2018 at 3:51 PM, GarryP said:

When I first started my performance was not that great either. It took nearly 2 months before I was able to do a 30 minute row. For 30 minutes I was at between 6,200 to 6,600m for another month or so. I am now in my second full season on the rower and a 30 minute row is between 7,300 to 7,500m. But I mostly do shorter distances now and mix it up, e.g. 5km followed by 3km and 4 x 500m intervals (at weekends I try to do 10km on Saturday and another 10km on Sunday). Weekdays - I only work out 3 days and between 5 and 7km. 

It takes time to get where you want to be.   

Or put another way, you only take 2 days off per week lol. 3 times a week with rest days in between would be even better IMO and you'd increase your performance with the extra rest days. I don't understand people's obsession with performance though (well, I do understand it but don't recommend it). Sooner or later you're going to reach your peak, and that's it. Trying to compete with previous, or yesterday's numbers is not good for you. There are too many variables that interfere with the human body's performance... and then there's the consideration of decline due to ageing, which will hit all of us sooner or later. With a more relaxed attitude towards performance, we'll age better and be less likely to sustain injuries. There's a transition period between youth and old age where people are in denial that they are declining, and this is a period where a lot of damage can be done. I've gone through that phase, and now I just row and accept whatever numbers I post on any given day. I don't get emotionally involved with my performance output. If I'm not feeling it, I don't go hard but still feel content with my effort - that I actually did it. 

5 hours ago, tropo said:

Or put another way, you only take 2 days off per week lol. 3 times a week with rest days in between would be even better IMO and you'd increase your performance with the extra rest days. I don't understand people's obsession with performance though (well, I do understand it but don't recommend it). Sooner or later you're going to reach your peak, and that's it. Trying to compete with previous, or yesterday's numbers is not good for you. There are too many variables that interfere with the human body's performance... and then there's the consideration of decline due to ageing, which will hit all of us sooner or later. With a more relaxed attitude towards performance, we'll age better and be less likely to sustain injuries. There's a transition period between youth and old age where people are in denial that they are declining, and this is a period where a lot of damage can be done. I've gone through that phase, and now I just row and accept whatever numbers I post on any given day. I don't get emotionally involved with my performance output. If I'm not feeling it, I don't go hard but still feel content with my effort - that I actually did it. 

I am not out to set any records, just to keep fit and 5 days a week is about right in my book. I just try to keep within a range of times I have been able to establish after having used the machine for a while. I am not going to enter any competitions apart from the challenges posted on the Concept2 website.  I don't have the time or inclination to do that. Having said that, I do not wish to plod away on the rower but not really gain anything from it, so I do have to push myself to an extent.  As to aging, there is nothing I can do about that and know ultimately I will get weaker but I don't want that to happen sooner than necessary.

You are working out on other machines, or with other tools. But I don't have the time as I am still in full time employment, so I will keep with the rower until retirement. At which time I may switch it up a bit more. I already bought a second hand multi-gym, which is still barely used as I just do not have the time. The previous owner used it three times and I have matched that. It is sitting idle - something I do not wish to do.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

I am not out to set any records, just to keep fit and 5 days a week is about right in my book. I just try to keep within a range of times I have been able to establish after having used the machine for a while. I am not going to enter any competitions apart from the challenges posted on the Concept2 website.  I don't have the time or inclination to do that. Having said that, I do not wish to plod away on the rower but not really gain anything from it, so I do have to push myself to an extent.  As to aging, there is nothing I can do about that and know ultimately I will get weaker but I don't want that to happen sooner than necessary.

You are working out on other machines, or with other tools. But I don't have the time as I am still in full time employment, so I will keep with the rower until retirement. At which time I may switch it up a bit more. I already bought a second hand multi-gym, which is still barely used as I just do not have the time. The previous owner used it three times and I have matched that. It is sitting idle - something I do not wish to do.    

Once you've reached a certain level of fitness, isn't it all plodding from then on? What would you gain by trying to get faster times on a rower other than repetitive stress injuries? I can't see it being anything other than a "plod". I've plodded away at the rower since the B model in the 1980's LOL. Plodding is good, because in the end, if you keep it up, that's all you'll be doing. To be honest, I'm plodding more now than I ever have. It's not so much about rowing fitness, as no one would need to row on water for any reason, but keeping the blood circulation good, heart healthy and keeping the muscles active so they don't shrink away too fast.

My focus goes into keeping the heart rate in a certain zone. What performance parameters that are required to achieve my heart rate zone are not important. Interestingly, the guru of indoor rowing (Mr Dark Horse Rowing) has yet to mention HR monitoring in any of his videos. I mentioned it a few times in the comments section of his videos and he totally ignored it. I consider this one of the most important features of the Concept 2 rower and it's unbelievable, and disappointing, that he doesn't consider it important - as though everyone who wants to row is young with a perfectly functioning heart.

Edited by tropo
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, tropo said:

Once you've reached a certain level of fitness, isn't it all plodding from then on? What would you gain by trying to get faster times on a rower other than repetitive stress injuries? I can't see it being anything other than a "plod". I've plodded away at the rower since the B model in the 1980's LOL. Plodding is good, because in the end, if you keep it up, that's all you'll be doing. To be honest, I'm plodding more now than I ever have. It's not so much about rowing fitness, as no one would need to row on water for any reason, but keeping the blood circulation good, heart healthy and keeping the muscles active so they don't shrink away too fast.

My focus goes into keeping the heart rate in a certain zone. What performance parameters that are required to achieve my heart rate zone are not important. Interestingly, the guru of indoor rowing (Mr Dark Horse Rowing) has yet to mention HR monitoring in any of his videos. I mentioned it a few times in the comments section of his videos and he totally ignored it. I consider this one of the most important features of the Concept 2 rower and it's unbelievable, and disappointing, that he doesn't consider it important - as though everyone who wants to row is young with a perfectly function heart.

Actually, I think I am quite like that. Plodding away to keep fit. I have a heart rate that I don't normally exceed, which is much lower than yours if I recall correctly. I try not to go above 150 bpm.  Usually my maximum heart rate gets up to 145 to 149. Even when I did a heart stress test in October last year, try as I might my rate did not hit 150 and they extended the time they had me on the treadmill. 

I often have to force myself to row. I get up at 6 am on weekdays to do a few kms then shower, breakfast and off to work. I am certainly not excited about having to get up to row, but know that keeping fit is the sensible way to live. I am sat at a desk all day so rowing has become an important part of my routine.

As to Dark Horse, I used to enjoy watching the new uploads but more recently they have become repetitious or pointless and I often find myself closing the videos before they have finished. I have also watched quite a few Training Tall videos, but again they are hit and miss - some really good but others not worth watching.    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

Actually, I think I am quite like that. Plodding away to keep fit. I have a heart rate that I don't normally exceed, which is much lower than yours if I recall correctly. I try not to go above 150 bpm.  Usually my maximum heart rate gets up to 145 to 149. Even when I did a heart stress test in October last year, try as I might my rate did not hit 150 and they extended the time they had me on the treadmill. 

I often have to force myself to row. I get up at 6 am on weekdays to do a few kms then shower, breakfast and off to work. I am certainly not excited about having to get up to row, but know that keeping fit is the sensible way to live. I am sat at a desk all day so rowing has become an important part of my routine.

As to Dark Horse, I used to enjoy watching the new uploads but more recently they have become repetitious or pointless and I often find myself closing the videos before they have finished. I have also watched quite a few Training Tall videos, but again they are hit and miss - some really good but others not worth watching.    

With rowing these days I don't usually go much over 130 - 140 bpm. When I use my Cybex Arc trainer I find it easier (less perceived effort) to go over that. Leg dominant exercises always raise the heart rate easier. To get my heart over 140 on the rower requires quite a bit of effort, and I prefer just to cruise.

I actually think your performance is very good. I'm just trying to suggest not to get too hung up on numbers and go for the long haul.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, GarryP said:

So as not to see this thread die, here is my latest score in the 1,000 meter Challenge.

Newconcept2_certificate_indoor_sprints_2019-page-001.jpg

Just keep it up others might do it too. I still need to get back into rowing. But there is so much to do exercise wise. 

Its good to see your still going on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, JordanJones said:

Rowing for 60 min is not all that difficult but it gets boring after a few times. Maybe if you have a tv set up in front of you doing it 50 times wouldn't seem so pointless.

So you need to keep changing your workouts. 5km, followed by 500m intervals, or 3km followed by 1km intervals. Rowing non-stop for 60 minutes would certainly be boring unless you are out on a river. I've been rowing just over 2 years now, and row 5 days a week. I don't find any problem with that. It certainly does not seem pointless to me. Doing nothing seems pointless.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GarryP said:

So you need to keep changing your workouts. 5km, followed by 500m intervals, or 3km followed by 1km intervals. Rowing non-stop for 60 minutes would certainly be boring unless you are out on a river. I've been rowing just over 2 years now, and row 5 days a week. I don't find any problem with that. It certainly does not seem pointless to me. Doing nothing seems pointless.  

Argreed, I am not sure people are always trying to attack others about what exercise they do. Whatever suits the person performing it and makes him keep on doing it is good.

5 days a week is a lot and well done. I am happy you got your moneys worth from the concept. I don't like cardio but at times I like to row. I would never put down others exercise, we are not all the same. Cardio is hard for me, lifting weights easy ( I mean mentally not physically both can be as hard as you want physically).

I am pretty sure you build up some great stamina now.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GarryP said:

I'm doing weights daily. Agree doing nothing is pointless.