Concept 2 Rower Model D (Exercise For Fat Loss)

robblok

2 minutes ago, JordanJones said:

I'm doing weights daily. Agree doing nothing is pointless.

True, but all the latest evidence suggests that exercising in order to lose weight is far, far less effective than simply cutting down on your calories

Edited by ThaiBunny

8 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

True, but all the latest evidence suggests that exercising in order to lose weight is far, far less effective than simply cutting down on your calories

Doing both works the best. Daily exercises boost metabolism and building muscle results in a better metabolism overall long term as muscle consumes more calories. Plus over eating is easy if sitting around doing nothing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

True, but only looking at calories is only half the story, if you exercise it has benefitial influence on insulin. Instead of nutrients being stored as fat they will be send to the muscles. 

The best thing is of course doing both, then you get synergy. Research shows that those who exercise usually also mind their food better. 

But your right the biggest and easiest way to lose weight is food intake. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JordanJones said:

Doing both works the best. Daily exercises boost metabolism and building muscle results in a better metabolism overall long term as muscle consumes more calories. Plus over eating is easy if sitting around doing nothing.

Your right but the amounts of extra calories consumed by muscles is a lot less then what they originally thought. It does boost the metabolic rate a bit too. Every little bit helps.

Besides its not just for weight loss, its also for general health. 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, GarryP said:

Not bad season after all. Managed to get my average up to 4.237 km per day. 

editedconcept2.jpg

That is quite a bit nicely done. Just a question do you have a seat for the rower. I can still remember my sore ass from the rowing. I mean a seat on top of your seat. 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

That is quite a bit nicely done. Just a question do you have a seat for the rower. I can still remember my sore ass from the rowing. I mean a seat on top of your seat. 

No, I never invested in a seat pad. After a couple of months the discomfort disappeared. It does recur from time to time but usually on the longer rows and I try to ignore it.  

On 3/29/2019 at 4:50 PM, JordanJones said:

Rowing for 60 min is not all that difficult but it gets boring after a few times. Maybe if you have a tv set up in front of you doing it 50 times wouldn't seem so pointless.

I disagree. Rowing for 60 minutes is difficult. Either you just plod for the 60 minutes and get very bored, or if, like me, you push yourself, and wipe yourself out - for no good reason as there is absolutely no benefit to be rowing for that long. Some people just feel that more is better. I've used the Concept rower since the late '80s (B model, then C and now D) and I can't remember rowing for 60 minutes more than twice. These days I seldom row for more than 20 minutes, but usually shorter.

On 5/7/2019 at 11:55 AM, GarryP said:

No, I never invested in a seat pad. After a couple of months the discomfort disappeared. It does recur from time to time but usually on the longer rows and I try to ignore it.  

I bought a seat pad for my wife, but I can't say I've ever experienced any ass discomfort. It's either because I don't stay on the seat long enough, or I have a well padded behind LOL. I haven't done one, but marathon rows require a lot of planning to eliminate the risk of losing the skin from your hands.

Edited by tropo

you are not wrong, I'd never go for 60 minutes either and I feel the same way about my friends who go to the gym for 2-3 hours..

if you do everything right you should be out within 1 hour at most.

one time we went to the gym at 8:45pm (it closed at 9). the two guys complained they couldn't do their workouts on time

I just ran in there, went for pull ups, 4-5 sets with at most one minute rest, after 15 minutes was ready to die (or go home), they were still whining

my practically obese and out of shape sister tried my C2 rower once, then said it was "too easy".

when really if she would have went hard on it, in 5 minutes (being generous here) she would have probably been ready to call the ambulance.

12 minutes ago, kekalot said:

you are not wrong, I'd never go for 60 minutes either and I feel the same way about my friends who go to the gym for 2-3 hours..

if you do everything right you should be out within 1 hour at most.

one time we went to the gym at 8:45pm (it closed at 9). the two guys complained they couldn't do their workouts on time

I just ran in there, went for pull ups, 4-5 sets with at most one minute rest, after 15 minutes was ready to die (or go home), they were still whining

my practically obese and out of shape sister tried my C2 rower once, then said it was "too easy".

when really if she would have went hard on it, in 5 minutes (being generous here) she would have probably been ready to call the ambulance.

The time you workout is personal... depends on your program and on how many breaks you take. I have had programs that would easily get done in an hour and now got a program that makes that hour.. or more. I train a lone at home don't have to wait for people.. but I do need breaks to make sure i get the most out of my training.

Yea the rower, the harder you pull the harder it gets I can't call it easy ever. 

On 5/13/2019 at 4:47 PM, robblok said:

The time you workout is personal... depends on your program and on how many breaks you take. I have had programs that would easily get done in an hour and now got a program that makes that hour.. or more. I train a lone at home don't have to wait for people.. but I do need breaks to make sure i get the most out of my training.

Yea the rower, the harder you pull the harder it gets I can't call it easy ever. 

Yes, the time one works out  (indoor rowing) is a personal preference, but most people would base that personal preference on some theory of what is most beneficial. With indoor rowing, there is no need to train for contests as it is not generally a contest sport other than the odd indoor rowing meets held in some countries from time to time. Certainly, no one would be competing on the Concept2 rower in Thailand. In addition to that, I've always believed that sports contests of any kind are far removed from healthy training. Contest training nearly always leads to overtraining and injuries as people push themselves beyond their safe limits to beat someone else. It's more about ego than health. Yes, some people will say they like to compete because it keeps them motivated, but once injuries ensue, motivation quickly vanishes. There are healthier ways to derive motivation.

Here we were discussing long rowing sessions. The only benefit I can think of to row long (i.e. 1 hour +) is to burn more calories, but as has been discussed, it's a very inefficient way to reduce body fat. Further to that, it will likely lead to overtraining, burnout and boredom, which will quickly lead to quitting.

A matter that should be discussed more in relation to rowing is back health. It can be very taxing on the lower back in particular due to the mechanics of the exercise. The force is perpendicular to the vertebrae, causing lateral stress that can put the spinal disks at risk. Due to this fact, I don't believe daily sessions are a good idea. I would suggest 3x a week is a better frequency. If one wishes to exercise more than 3 times a week, then doing a different form of cardio exercise on the other days would be a good idea to give the spine a well-deserved rest between sessions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tropo said:

Yes, the time one works out  (indoor rowing) is a personal preference, but most people would base that personal preference on some theory of what is most beneficial. With indoor rowing, there is no need to train for contests as it is not generally a contest sport other than the odd indoor rowing meets held in some countries from time to time. Certainly, no one would be competing on the Concept2 rower in Thailand. In addition to that, I've always believed that sports contests of any kind are far removed from healthy training. Contest training nearly always leads to overtraining and injuries as people push themselves beyond their safe limits to beat someone else. It's more about ego than health. Yes, some people will say they like to compete because it keeps them motivated, but once injuries ensue, motivation quickly vanishes. There are healthier ways to derive motivation.

Here we were discussing long rowing sessions. The only benefit I can think of to row long (i.e. 1 hour +) is to burn more calories, but as has been discussed, it's a very inefficient way to reduce body fat. Further to that, it will likely lead to overtraining, burnout and boredom, which will quickly lead to quitting.

A matter that should be discussed more in relation to rowing is back health. It can be very taxing on the lower back in particular due to the mechanics of the exercise. The force is perpendicular to the vertebrae, causing lateral stress that can put the spinal disks at risk. Due to this fact, I don't believe daily sessions are a good idea. I would suggest 3x a week is a better frequency. If one wishes to exercise more than 3 times a week, then doing a different form of cardio exercise on the other days would be a good idea to give the spine a well-deserved rest between sessions.

Actually, the Asian Indoor Rowing Championships were held in Bangkok on 30 and 31 March 2019. 

Rowing non-stop for one hour would bore me to death. As mentioned before, I break my sessions up now. I used to do 30 minute non-stop work outs, but following your suggestion, I now switch between a variety of distances (not more than 5km) and intervals. I find it much more fun.  For example, this morning I did 3km straight followed by 4 x500m intervals and then another 500m because something happened to my ergdata app and I was retesting it (it failed to record my interval workout).

I suffered from terrible back pain, which was muscular in origin. I would get shooting pain when walking after sitting for a while and a few times I ended up on the floor because of the pain. That has disappeared since I started using the rower in 2017. Coincidence? Maybe. However, I note your concerns about spinal disks and will keep it in mind.  I normally row 5 days a week. Usually do 5km per session on three weekdays and between 5 and 10 km on Saturdays and Sundays. Too much? I don't know, but I feel good. Just hope it does not come back to bite me in may ass in a few years. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Actually, the Asian Indoor Rowing Championships were held in Bangkok on 30 and 31 March 2019. 

Rowing non-stop for one hour would bore me to death. As mentioned before, I break my sessions up now. I used to do 30 minute non-stop work outs, but following your suggestion, I now switch between a variety of distances (not more than 5km) and intervals. I find it much more fun.  For example, this morning I did 3km straight followed by 4 x500m intervals and then another 500m because something happened to my ergdata app and I was retesting it (it failed to record my interval workout).

I suffered from terrible back pain, which was muscular in origin. I would get shooting pain when walking after sitting for a while and a few times I ended up on the floor because of the pain. That has disappeared since I started using the rower in 2017. Coincidence? Maybe. However, I note your concerns about spinal disks and will keep it in mind.  I normally row 5 days a week. Usually do 5km per session on three weekdays and between 5 and 10 km on Saturdays and Sundays. Too much? I don't know, but I feel good. Just hope it does not come back to bite me in may ass in a few years. 

My lower back problems went away because of squats and deadlifts. However when I combined them with rowing i got back pain again. I don't mean the kind of back pain your talking about but constant sore muscles. Because of too much use too little recovery. (that can get worse of course and when you feel like that you should take action by reducing volume)

If you don't feel that way I doubt you will get problems. I still sometimes get lower back problems if i do too much without giving it proper rest. Exercise will help against back pain but if you overdo it (you will feel it as a constant sore back to start with) it can backfire.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

Interesting... I had no idea they had indoor rowing comps here. Are there now regular contests in Thailand? 

Regarding rowing frequency... Of course, it would depend on what intensity you row at, but high-intensity rowing certainly puts a lot of stress on the lower back, and of course, how long you spend on the rower is also an important consideration too.

I would suggest you take another look at the Skierg. It works the spine in exactly the opposite way to rowing. Flexion vs extension in rowing. It works the abs which don't get much work in rowing and takes the knees out of the exercise so it's great cardio for anyone with sore knees. It works the triceps hard but gives the biceps, which work hard in rowing, a break. It's a perfect complement, and it's pretty easy to achieve the same heart rates. The Skierg and rowing meters are added together (1 to 1) in your online log. I tend to find the Skierg a bit more intense, probably because it's a standing exercise done with higher stroke rates. Long Skierg sessions feel harder and more tedious than long rowing sessions. You can relax into rowing, but not so much on the Skierg. The stroke rate averages somewhere from 35 to 45 spm compared to rowing at 18 - 30 spm. Also, if you have an injury from rowing, you have no excuses not to exercise.

My current sessions are short. I do 20 - 30 minutes on the Cybex Arc Trainer, then 2000m on the Skierg followed by 2000m on the rower.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi . 

I am looking for a second hand rowing machine .. In good condition and at a reasonable price .

It'll only get used for 30 minute , three (3) times a week and for personal use only . and not interested in hydraulic piston type rowers only cable ones .

plus a noticed on Lazada a "Jacky rowing "  anyone ever bought one ? and what was your impression ? (see attached photo)

Screenshot 2019-06-23 11.57.00(2).png

Edited by banglay

1 hour ago, banglay said:

Hi . 

I am looking for a second hand rowing machine .. In good condition and at a reasonable price .

It'll only get used for 30 minute , three (3) times a week and for personal use only . and not interested in hydraulic piston type rowers only cable ones .

plus a noticed on Lazada a "Jacky rowing "  anyone ever bought one ? and what was your impression ? (see attached photo)

I've only ever used the Concept2. May be worth checking on some of the Thai secondhand sites. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2019 at 5:45 PM, GarryP said:

Anyone doing the Dog Days of Summer Challenge? It shouldn't be too difficult.

Not me but I am using the rower again.. just a few times a week to add more cardio to my workouts.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2019 at 12:06 PM, banglay said:

Hi . 

Screenshot 2019-06-23 11.57.00(2).png

Did you end up buying this machine? I am also looking to buy a rower but don't want something that will fall apart after a uses. 

53 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

I bought my Concept 2 about 20 months ago, and I'm still very pleased with it.  I've done 2.3 million meters in that time, and it's one of my favorite forms of exercise. 

A secondhand multi-gym I bought from a friend who left Thailand is gathering dust. However, my Concept2 is used at least 5 days a week and my daily average is 5.xxx kms. Best investment ever. And it will last for ages. Had mine for about 3 years and still looks new.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For Sale: Concept 2 Model D Rower in mint condition.

Concept 2 Model D with PM5, used only 16 hours in total since new purchase in 2018.

Condition / appearance as new, no signs of wear.

Paid THB 56K, asking price ~ THB 42K.

Can deliver in Pattaya area.

0_IMG_20190919_190610.jpg2_IMG_20190919_190715.jpg1_IMG_20190919_190817.jpg

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

Would any of you know which gyms in Bangkok have Concept2 rowing machines? I visit Bangkok with some frequency and rowing is my preferred form of exercise. Jetts Asoke has those horrible Matrix machines. 

Appreciate your help, guys.

• 2 months later...
On 7/2/2020 at 5:49 AM, malathione said:

Would any of you know which gyms in Bangkok have Concept2 rowing machines? I visit Bangkok with some frequency and rowing is my preferred form of exercise. Jetts Asoke has those horrible Matrix machines. 

Appreciate your help, guys.

Fitness first has a lot of them. But not sure you can pay for just going to the gym once or twice. Usually a monthly thing.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Fitness first has a lot of them. But not sure you can pay for just going to the gym once or twice. Usually a monthly thing.

Thank you Rob. Yes, I found that out after trawling a few gyms. Indeed, a monthly thing which is just fine as at least it allows me to row a bit whenever I'm in town.

1 hour ago, malathione said:

Thank you Rob. Yes, I found that out after trawling a few gyms. Indeed, a monthly thing which is just fine as at least it allows me to row a bit whenever I'm in town.

I just recently moved to the heart of BKK so before I did not know. Now i train at fitness first (my rower is at my old home still). I must say i was a bit dissapointed with fitness first. I Decided to get a subscription there as its close to where i live (1.5km) but they only have limited machines (just 1 set of each even the ones that are used a lot. I expected a bit more from a gym like that. They did have like 3 or 4 rowers and ski erg and otehr stuff. Free weights also going up with 2kg instead of one. Still beggers cant be choosers. 

I could have found somewhere else but would mean more travel. As long as i go during non peak hours its ok.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I just recently moved to the heart of BKK so before I did not know. Now i train at fitness first (my rower is at my old home still). I must say i was a bit dissapointed with fitness first. I Decided to get a subscription there as its close to where i live (1.5km) but they only have limited machines (just 1 set of each even the ones that are used a lot. I expected a bit more from a gym like that. They did have like 3 or 4 rowers and ski erg and otehr stuff. Free weights also going up with 2kg instead of one. Still beggers cant be choosers. 

I could have found somewhere else but would mean more travel. As long as i go during non peak hours its ok.

Agreed, given the huge space of the branch I go to, it's somewhat odd that they have such few machines. That said, convenient location and I'm there as soon as the gym opens so it works out okay. Frankly, I just row and it seems that it isn't all that popular.