Concept 2 Rower Model D (Exercise For Fat Loss)

robblok

5 hours ago, malathione said:

Agreed, given the huge space of the branch I go to, it's somewhat odd that they have such few machines. That said, convenient location and I'm there as soon as the gym opens so it works out okay. Frankly, I just row and it seems that it isn't all that popular.

Yea if you just row then its not much of a problem. Its not a major issue for me as I am used training in my home gym. But recently i went to a gym near my own home. It was cheaper (but almost no aircon i was sweating like crazy) but it had multiple machines for the same exercise and better free weights. Still location is important and I can do a lot with free weights.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yea if you just row then its not much of a problem. Its not a major issue for me as I am used training in my home gym. But recently i went to a gym near my own home. It was cheaper (but almost no aircon i was sweating like crazy) but it had multiple machines for the same exercise and better free weights. Still location is important and I can do a lot with free weights.

I remember the photographs you had put up on one of the threads of your home gym. Hard to replicate that. For me, my workouts tend to be quite simple even at home. I have my rowing machine, a bicycle on a smart trainer for rainy or hot days and a riverside track for running opposite my house.

50 minutes ago, malathione said:

I remember the photographs you had put up on one of the threads of your home gym. Hard to replicate that. For me, my workouts tend to be quite simple even at home. I have my rowing machine, a bicycle on a smart trainer for rainy or hot days and a riverside track for running opposite my house.

If i wanted i could move my home gym. But still its pretty good in the gym just have to be a bit more flexible. I moved only about 35 km so its not that much and I still have the house on the old location (don't want to rent it out the hassle is not worth the money)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/26/2020 at 7:18 PM, jlm53 said:

anybody know where I can buy a handle for a concept 2. I have a chinese rower looks identical to a concept 2 except for the handle.My hands go numb, would like to try concept 2handle

Aviron Racing In Georgetown, Malaysia, would probably have one. 

On 9/10/2020 at 7:29 AM, robblok said:

'..sweating like crazy.' Isn't that alright while working out?

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2021 at 7:16 AM, Solinvictus said:

'..sweating like crazy.' Isn't that alright while working out?

Not if its too much, and your glasses get covered by sweat. Also too much heat can lower performance in the gym. Sweating does not mean fat loss it just means your body is cooling down.

I now moved my home gym to a new house havent rowed yet as im getting back into shape. Don't want to add too much at one go. Already doing heavy deadlift and squats worried that the rower might add to the lower back strain. (not pain but all that exercising targets the lower back too much and i might not recover on time for next gym session)

So waiting  a bit till im a lil bit further on in my training maybe a few weeks then ill be doing rowing on some of the non lifting days.

• Like 1

I thought this thread had died. As it hasn't, below is my last season results. Represents and average of 5.567 kms/day.  Not boasting. ???????? Actually, I am. 

Editedconcept2_certificate_season_2021-page-001.jpg

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I thought this thread had died. As it hasn't, below is my last season results. Represents and average of 5.567 kms/day.  Not boasting. ???????? Actually, I am. 

Im really trying to get back to rowing, now in a new home in BKK rower is there too more room. But as I am trying to get my gym power back first i still need to start over on the rower. Thinking of rowing and then jumping in the pool. That was the plan anyway for today.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, robblok said:

Im really trying to get back to rowing, now in a new home in BKK rower is there too more room. But as I am trying to get my gym power back first i still need to start over on the rower. Thinking of rowing and then jumping in the pool. That was the plan anyway for today.

Still in the same area of town?

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

Still in the same area of town?

No now in Thong Lor area. GF works in BKK her company pays for the house. So bigger house with pool. Was not easy to move my gym. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 9:19 AM, robblok said:

Not if its too much, and your glasses get covered by sweat. Also too much heat can lower performance in the gym. Sweating does not mean fat loss it just means your body is cooling down.

I now moved my home gym to a new house havent rowed yet as im getting back into shape. Don't want to add too much at one go. Already doing heavy deadlift and squats worried that the rower might add to the lower back strain. (not pain but all that exercising targets the lower back too much and i might not recover on time for next gym session)

So waiting  a bit till im a lil bit further on in my training maybe a few weeks then ill be doing rowing on some of the non lifting days.

Sounds good. I'm envious of being able to to do rowing in the off days.  For me, I'll just go for a jog on off days. But, places are closed atm. Tired of all these closing and early hours.

10 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

Sounds good. I'm envious of being able to to do rowing in the off days.  For me, I'll just go for a jog on off days. But, places are closed atm. Tired of all these closing and early hours.

Everyone is tired of this pandemic, unfortunately its something we will have to endure. Not locking down would lead to too many cases for the healthcare system to handle. 

Anyway I am happy i can train again, lost 4kg or so since i started training again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 7:18 PM, jlm53 said:

anybody know where I can buy a handle for a concept 2. I have a chinese rower looks identical to a concept 2 except for the handle.My hands go numb, would like to try concept 2handle

Hi, is that the 'air rower'? Would love a concept2 but out of my price range

Just seen an air rower' on Lazada for 17k bht which is tempting.

• 7 months later...
On 6/1/2021 at 8:44 AM, edwinchester said:

Hi, is that the 'air rower'? Would love a concept2 but out of my price range

Just seen an air rower' on Lazada for 17k bht which is tempting.

Looks like a copy of a concept2 if it is then 17 k is a great price.

Finally got back to rowing and it was needed. I feel the stamina i am gaining with rowing in my normal life and workouts.

I am by no means a good rower, but I always tire myself out. I put loads of effort in it. I am trying to go for 20 min a day. So far 15 min. Its not a physical thing to increase the time. Its mental, for me at least. Physically i can do it but if i hate it too much i stop.

So i slowly increase and build it in my daily routine. Rowing every day now and after the rowing short session in the pool to relax. Combined with weight training and good diet progress happens quite fast.

• Like 1

17.5 min and put the setting to between 3 and 4. Doing around 2.10 or so per 500 meter. A bit faster then that on average. Still not bad. Doing it every day. 

Really does help with my fat loss and stamina. Of course diet is nr 1 exercise a distant second. But the stamina im getting is amazing. It builds up quite fast. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 11:38 AM, GarryP said:

No boasting needed that is an absolute super result. Inspiring. I don't think i could do it. I mean that is at least 25+ minutes a day for a year. Pff still not doing 5000 a day yet. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

17.5 min and put the setting to between 3 and 4. Doing around 2.10 or so per 500 meter. A bit faster then that on average. Still not bad. Doing it every day. 

Really does help with my fat loss and stamina. Of course diet is nr 1 exercise a distant second. But the stamina im getting is amazing. It builds up quite fast. 

Since I took two months off and have only just got back into it my times have dropped considerably. To get the drag factor to 115, which is the optimum for me I have to set my damper at 5. For regular exercise they recommend a setting of between 3 to 5. But the drag factor can vary from machine to machine.

In the past my target for 500ms was anything below 2.05. But on my return to exercise it is closer to 2.10. I've also got to factor in aging I suppose, but I don't want to (I'm in denial).  My straight 2,000ms are down a bit too. 

This time around though I have lowered my target from 160kms a month to 120. I think I was overdoing it before and was mostly hitting higher than 170 a month. I think I need to give my back and muscles more time off and accept that I'm not a youngster. 

Just now, GarryP said:

Since I took two months off and have only just got back into it my times have dropped considerably. To get the drag factor to 115, which is the optimum for me I have to set my damper at 5. For regular exercise they recommend a setting of between 3 to 5. But the drag factor can vary from machine to machine.

In the past my target for 500ms was anything below 2.05. But on my return to exercise it is closer to 2.10. I've also got to factor in aging I suppose, but I don't want to (I'm in denial).  My straight 2,000ms are down a bit too. 

This time around though I have lowered my target from 160kms a month to 120. I think I was overdoing it before and was mostly hitting higher than 170 a month. I think I need to give my back and muscles more time off and accept that I'm not a youngster. 

I can remember doing 2.05 and even some 2.00 but not anymore. But its just been 2-3 weeks or so. But my times went up when i set the dampener higher. I used to have it a lot higher still. But im easing myself in it. 

Like i said its a mental thing for me and i don't want to blow my mood to train. I want to permanently put it in my routine. So it must be "nice". So i need to find a sweet spot. I think ill aim for 5000 meter somewhere next month. I think 5000 a day would be a good target and not drive me mad. 

Personally I want to plan and right after waking up. (maybe drinking something first). I think we should accept we get older. 

I have already accepted that with my weight lifting. My weights are not going up (havent for ages). But that does not mean I don't get results. I do think we need recovery too. It takes time to build stuff up.

Good thing GF is now exercising too so we keep each other in check a bit. But for me its a mindset if im feeling happy and good my training goes well. But stress and other stuff mess me up (OCD thing). I need routine for food and training. 

But right now im really seeing progress (body shape wise). I got fat from covid stress and work stress plus moving to BKK out of my familiar surroundings. Now i got routine back and shape is going great. I might actually get in better shape then ever if i can keep this up.

That is why i don't want to mess it up by going up too fast and getting bored with it. Now i got a nice balance of lifting and cardio. I plan on doing more (maybe some running or on my special HITT bike). But that is really for maybe march or so. 

A body needs time to accept more volume it needs to be done slowly (especially when you get older)

Jsixpack always seemed to think i was ego lifting and stuff but havent been lifting more or going up for years. I accepted a long time ago that my lifts will stay where they are or go down. But fat loss and body shape that is something you can hold on quite long actually. 

• Like 1

Finally my first 20 minutes row, will keep this up for a week then go for 5000 meters (probably just a minute over 20 minutes but still).

Got a treadmill for the GF, will be using it for incline walking once my work is less demanding. Im really going to go for it this year. I think until april to get into single digits bodyfat. (hopefully)

• Like 1

Tropo used to be really into the rower but has not been active on the site for a while, so I do not know whether he is still rowing as part of his exercise regime.

Since I resumed rowing after nearly 2 months away, I have started to mix up my routines even more than before. One of the reasons for this is that I need to slowly get back to the level I was at before but another one is that I read mixing routines is better for the body so it does not get used to a single routine. My January routines are as follows for those who are interested:

2 Jan: 3000m single followed by 6 x 500ms intervals

4 Jan: 12 x 500ms intervals

6 Jan: 6000m single

7 Jan: 2000m single followed by 8 x 500ms intervals

9 Jan: 2000m single followed by 2000m single followed by 4 x 500ms intervals

10 Jan: 5000m single followed by 5 x 200ms intervals

11 Jan: 3000m single followed by 6 x 500ms intervals

13 Jan: 2000m single followed by 2000m single followed by 4 x 500ms intervals

45 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Tropo used to be really into the rower but has not been active on the site for a while, so I do not know whether he is still rowing as part of his exercise regime.

Since I resumed rowing after nearly 2 months away, I have started to mix up my routines even more than before. One of the reasons for this is that I need to slowly get back to the level I was at before but another one is that I read mixing routines is better for the body so it does not get used to a single routine. My January routines are as follows for those who are interested:

That is nice, for me my rowing is just a set time or set distance. But rowing is not the only thing I do. I need to keep myself in check else combined with lifting I might burn out at some point. Hence the slow increase in rowing. 

Gf got a treadmil from decathlon (she is a runner) and does weight sessions too. Ill probably (next month or so) ad walking at an incline to my program. Need to find stuff that is not too taxing as all the stuff together adds up. Need to go slow and not burn out. Especially as im on a caloric deficit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

But im impressed with you i know 5000 meter is close for me now.. but 6000 that is the next step up (only 5 minutes more max but still). I told you its mainly the brain thing. 

Plus intervals can get quite rough if you go for them. I am getting closer to the 2.05 now (some parts are below others above). Once the 20 min is set in my mind ill increase damper setting and that will increase my speed (i got the power)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ordered a tablet holder for the rower so i can connect my tablet to the rower and have the app Ergdata on it. Then it might be easier to share data with you  @GarryP

https://www.concept2.com/service/software/ergdata

I use a smartphone holder on mine. But then I don't have a tablet. As you'll note from one of the pictures, I have a gel seat pad. The reason for this is that I have such a skinny bum so longer distances can get quite uncomfortable. 

20220114_124248.jpg

20220114_124237.jpg

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

Does the gel pad completely replace the original seat and is it hard to do ?

I  still got an old PM4, did look for pm 5 but price was too high) So ill have to connect the tablet with a cable.

No, it is a seat cover. Bought it from Aviron Racing in Malaysia. But if you wish to buy one, check that normal post is available. When I ordered, Covid had stopped normal post between Malaysia and Thailand so it was sent by courier (only option at the time) and I got hit by customs.  I bought my phone holder from them too long before covid. They are very responsive to queries via their Facebook page. I know of some who have bought their Concept2s from them and imported them. Even after import duty, much cheaper than those available locally.     

6 minutes ago, GarryP said:

No, it is a seat cover. Bought it from Aviron Racing in Malaysia. But if you wish to buy one, check that normal post is available. When I ordered, Covid had stopped normal post between Malaysia and Thailand so it was sent by courier (only option at the time) and I got hit by customs.  I bought my phone holder from them too long before covid. They are very responsive to queries via their Facebook page. I know of some who have bought their Concept2s from them and imported them. Even after import duty, much cheaper than those available locally.     

My as is still not sore so i can manage, I also don't know how long I am going to row. To be honest I think mentally its best to keep it under 30 minutes (for me). But when I did my 50 min rows my ass did get sore.