Warning! Fake Bt1,000 And Bt100 Banknotes Circulating In Thailand

webfact

i love this quote:

The fake banknotes are smaller in size than the real one and when you pour water on the fake ones the color will fade.

Good god, if you are going to go to all the trouble of counterfeiting money, i would think the dimensions of the bill itself would be the one thing that is actually easy to get right.

No real surprise though. If it's aThai fake it's a wonder they even got the wording right!

more likely some drunken expat that could not afford his alcohol ration for the month.

As if it isnt bad enough in 7/11 already when you have a 1,000 baht note...under the counter for a few 100's, unwrap small change, takes almost 5 minutes...this is just going to add to it....maybe they could open one of the other two tills they have and get a few of the twelve other staff loitering around to help.

ever try going to a small shop in other countries with a large bill? They do regular drops in a safe and often cannot change a large bill. But, being the intelligent person that I am, I always carry smaller bills when I go to 7-11's or small markets because of the change issue. anyone that walks around with 1000 THB notes all the time after having a problem getting change deserves the wait.

In a uniquely Thai twist, anyone who destroys a fake banknote will be arrested, haha.

Think about it.

Since the fraudsters will have used His Majesties image without permission and to facilitate a crime maybe the LM laws could be used.

Would it not be a good idea to tell us how to identify a fake note from a real one?

Perhaps reading the article might have provided you with the information you require.

For example:

The police said you can detect the fakes from the real ones by looking at the size, the color and feeling, the texture of bank note.

The fake banknotes are smaller in size than the real one and when you pour water on the fake ones the color will fade.

The authentic Thai government banknotes uses a paper which is tougher because It is printed on special paper and has a holographic strip on the left side.

given the above demonstration of your powers of observation, i suggest that it is unlikely you would notice any difference.

Edited by tinfoilhat

To be honest the 100 Baht notes are a greater threat unless you are a business man selling things. All the thousands I get are from the Cash Point (which one hopes are meticulously scanned) the 100's that are given in change are the ones to look out for.

Ref the fake notes being smaller...

Its possible that they were originally 100 or 500 baht notes, which have been bleached and reprinted. The new "1000 baht" notes would then not only "feel" like genuine notes but also have watermarks and the holographic metallic strip. Although inspecting the metallic strip closely would reveal the wrong denomination printed.

Works for me . oops. Just an idea.

despite the fact the article makes it clear that the notes are on inferior paper.

That Chinese company that is producing all those tablets for the Thai Government had better check each and every note! annoyed.gif

These few bills are likely just an advance test for the big printing once the tablets are delivered! goof.gif

Ref the fake notes being smaller...

Its possible that they were originally 100 or 500 baht notes, which have been bleached and reprinted. The new "1000 baht" notes would then not only "feel" like genuine notes but also have watermarks and the holographic metallic strip. Although inspecting the metallic strip closely would reveal the wrong denomination printed.

Works for me . oops. Just an idea.

despite the fact the article makes it clear that the notes are on inferior paper.

Sorry, my bad, missed that.

If any fake notes come into my possession I will rush out and buy a fake Rolex, fake Levi jeans and use them to hire the services of a fake Police Colonel.

Or have an intercourse with a prostitute who may very well fake an orgasm...

As if it isnt bad enough in 7/11 already when you have a 1,000 baht note...under the counter for a few 100's, unwrap small change, takes almost 5 minutes...this is just going to add to it....maybe they could open one of the other two tills they have and get a few of the twelve other staff loitering around to help.

ever try going to a small shop in other countries with a large bill? They do regular drops in a safe and often cannot change a large bill. But, being the intelligent person that I am, I always carry smaller bills when I go to 7-11's or small markets because of the change issue. anyone that walks around with 1000 THB notes all the time after having a problem getting change deserves the wait.

i don't know where you are living but the last time i had any issue breaking a 1000 thb note in Bangkok (especially at a 7-11) was around the year 2000.

i hardly think a pocketful of small change qualifies you as an intelligent person.

you may not have noticed,but 1000 thb ain't that much money anymore.

• Like 1

Apart from the metal thread, watermark, paper quality, serial number, all notes contain fine printed detail which is beyond the capability of a normal inkjet printer. In fact copying a bank note ids a good test of your printer's resolution.

i don't know where you are living but the last time i had any issue breaking a 1000 thb note in Bangkok (especially at a 7-11) was around the year 2000.

i hardly think a pocketful of small change qualifies you as an intelligent person.

you may not have noticed,but 1000 thb ain't that much money anymore.

If someone has a problem getting change from a 1000 THB note at a 7-11, you would think they would learn to carry smaller bills. But, to keep repeating that same thing and then complaining about it, as the OP stated, in my mind, makes him somewhat less than intelligent. I always carry a few hundred THB in 100 baht bills because some venders just don't have change for 1000. But, I think you missed the point I was making. I was replying to the posted that complained about having to wait for his change for "5 minutes".

'Caveat Viator'

This would translate as "let the ... messenger, traveler, tourist ... beware." Let the seller beware would be either "caveat venditor," or, perhaps, "sit vendit cave."

~o:37;

a year or so back a friend of mine got a fake 500฿ note from one of the big bank exchanges. It was so obviously fake but was in a stack of notes and we didn't realise until he went to use it. It just shows that you can't trust anyone!

Yes, I got a fake 500 Baht back on the BTS when getting change. It was Sunday morning and I was badly hungover. I then used it to pay for something in my apartment's office. They accepted it, and it still didn't register to me that it was fake. As I sobered up and the hangover lessened, I realised it was probably fake. Office called me and asked if I could swap the 500 Baht for another one.

I told them I got it from the BTS and it's not my problem now. Had the apartment not tried ripping me off for every little thing - I might have swapped it.

i love this quote:

Good god, if you are going to go to all the trouble of counterfeiting money, i would think the dimensions of the bill itself would be the one thing that is actually easy to get right.

Yes, that is strange that the size is wrong. That's the easy part.

Makes me think the counterfeiters are from a country where all the bills are the same size. Someone measured up a 500 or 100 baht note and used those deminsions to create the 1000 baht note.

• Like 1

He also said that these banknotes will damage the local economy.

I wonder if that is indeed the case? The guy simply does not understand economics.

Now, if you gauge the health of the economy by the amount of goods and services that are being sold, then by injecting a bit of extra cash into the local economy it would give a boost as, there will be a little more money sloshing around. Provided the counterfeiters don't go overboard, they could even grow the local economy into a boom, as with the extra cash more infrastructure would be built, more people would gain employment.

The problem would be if they pushed too much too quickly, causing the rate of increase of demand to exceed the rate of increase of production leading to inflation.

I think that a healthy dose of perfectly made THB1000 would increase the wealth of the local economy. In much the same way that by sending real THB 1000 from Pattaya to Nackonelsewhere the economy of Nackonelsewhere is given a boost.

So, who are the losers in this?

1. the Treasury, as it loses the seigniorage from printing the notes, but that is not a significant source of income, as when the old banknotes are taken out of circulation that money is refunded to the commercial banks.

2. the commercial banks, as the money comes directly into circulation without putting someone into debt and paying interest.

So, (hope I'm not going to be banned for thissmile.png )

The counterfeiters should carry onthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif, as the main losers are the bloody commercial banksclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

And, if you don't believe me, here is an interesting factlet.

Only about 3% of the money in the western economies has been issued by the government. All the rest has been created by, and for the profit of, the bloody commercial banks through lending it into existence.

Take the Greeks. Once the banks take it into their heads to withdraw funding, they can send an entire country in massive depression. What Greece needs now is a print of EUR 100 counterfeit notes and passed into the economy, putting cash into the hands of the jobless and destitute, so they can once again buy stuff, and even pay off the bankers.

Sorry about that, a little bit of scope expansion.

smart man

• Like 2

The counterfeit currency has a strong foothold in the deep south. I believe some of the insurgent groups are using this as a means of raising funds for their activities, at least that's what some of the anti terrorism folks have said in the past.. The IRA and ETA used to do this too, so I'm not surprised.

'Caveat Viator'

This would translate as "let the ... messenger, traveler, tourist ... beware." Let the seller beware would be either "caveat venditor," or, perhaps, "sit vendit cave."

~o:37;

Caveat venditor translates literally as seller beware, although here indicative of the vendor's imperative or subjunctive mood.......................whistling.gif

• Like 1