Linux Mint Newbie--Hdmi No Audio

up-country_sinclair

Hi,

I'm very new to Linux and would really appreciate some help trying to get it set up properly.

I've been checking out various LInux forums, but haven't had any luck solving this problem:

I can't get any audio through my HDMI cable. I tried following this suggestion:

1. Make sure the System Sound Preferences Hardware Profile is set to one of the analog sound options, e.g., Analog Stereo Duplex

2. open Terminal and run "alsamixer". Unmute all the S/PDIF outputs, e.g., I had S/PDIF, S/PDIF Def and S/PDIF 1, and had to unmute two of them. That left Master, PCM, and all S/PDIF's unmuted. Hit Esc to exit alsamixer.

3. Still in Terminal, run "gstreamer-properties". in the window titled Multimedia Systems Selector, set the Default Output Plugin: to Alsa - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. Try Pipeline Test to be sure you get HDMI/TV sound output. Close that window.

4.Go back to System Sound Preferences Hardware Profile and select one of the HDMI output options, e.g., Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output + Analog Stereo Input. Test Speakers to make sure you get left and right sound through the TV/Monitor.

5. That's it. Close up. Enjoy HDMI sound.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=93442

But I had no luck. However, that could be due to the fact that I'm so inexperienced at using Linux.

Does anyone here have any other suggestions on how I might be able to get audio?

Thanks very much.

UCS

Hi,

what sort of computer (brand/processor speed/installed RAM) are you using?

Which linux system are you trying?

Might be easier to download another linux distribution, load onto a usb stick [using unetbootin (google it)...]

I've tested about 6 versions this week - Mint 13, Lubuntu 12, racy puppy, Xubuntu 12.04, etc.

I would really recommend linuxmint 11 - looks good, and can get it to run pretty fast (toshiba NB305/1.66 Ghz/2 Gb RAM). After all the testing of other versions, I reinstalled LM11. AA

Linux Mint 13 (Maya) just came out on 23-May. There are two interface versions: "Linux Mint 13 features the choice between a productive, stable and mature MATE 1.2 desktop and the brand new modern-looking and exciting Cinnamon 1.4"; each available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Download is from Linuxmint, no longer with torrents but with a large selection of mirrors; the two Taiwan sites are reasonably fast.

Audio via HDMI on Mint works very well for me using the Cinnamon version. It shows the sound control on the lower right of the taskbar, whence left-click gets you into the audio controls which include test sounds.

Give it a try with the Live DVD version (the ISO is about 800MB, just a tad too large for CD).

Also consider the possibility that your HDMI cable may be defective ... I have had that in two instances.

You might also get away from Ubuntu and try the Mint Debian version. You can get the MATE/Cinnamom interface or Xfce (lighter). Good suggestion above to first use the Live version or install to flashdrive.

Do you have a Video card, like ATI or NVidea?

If so you will have to load the appropriate driver for that distro.

Ubuntu will have a package for that as will other major distros.

I have tried the latest Ubuntu as well as spins like Xubuntu and Mint and must say

just forget the Ubuntu spins.

They may look good but they are buggy crap (happy to supply details, Mint couldn't even update after install due to package conflicts, Xubuntu decided that since I live in Thailand I must want Chinese menus!).

Try OpenSuse - this is the best one I have found for my hardware and gives you

a choice of all the software you will need.

Another choice that may work for you is the just released Mageia 2 - a fork of Mandriva.

Also quite slick.

Another choice that may work for you is the just released Mageia 2 - a fork of Mandriva.

Also quite slick.

Gave that much anticipated Mageia release a spin. Very, very nice. A bit too resource-hungry for netbooks, I'd say. Surely fine on a modern laptop etc.

[...] Try OpenSuse - this is the best one I have found for my hardware and gives you

a choice of all the software you will need. [...]

I second that. OpenSuse works pretty well on all the various computers that I have installed so far.

So the guy can't get the sound of HDMI and is recommended to reinstall a different distro? Reminds me of troubleshooting Windows whistling.gif

What exactly didn't work in the suggested procedure?

Basically it's about tweaking options for the audio driver (alsa part), and about tweaking codecs to use that reconfigured driver (gstreamer part).

Sorry you have to do in through terminal but it's only to start the appropriate settings managers. Everything else is GUI.