6000Bhat For License To Show Euro Games!

bangkok blue

My friend informed me that GMM representatives have been going round bars in Chiangmai telling them they must pay 6000bht for a license to show the matches on their premises! Seems outrageous if you ask me, as bars will have to break their own licensing laws to stay open and make their money back!

As far as I'm aware, 6000 baht is a one-off payment for the decoder if it's bought by an entertainment venue. This gives you football all year round - not just Euro 2012, but also all the major European domestic leagues, too. Along with that, GMM will provide the venues with promotional merchandising for the 'big' games. The price for domestic use is around 3000 baht (again a one-off payment). Bye-bye UBC/True!!!

Decoder box costs 1590BAHT, you can buy from Tesco. Representatives were going in bars telling them the license is 6000bht to show the games. This is whether you have a box or just show them off an ariel antenna, as GMM are the rights holders.

I am hoping that some sort of affiliation with the sponsors and buying products of a similar value off them would also get you the license. Chang and Coca Cola are part of the affiliated sponsor group.

My friend at The Nation newspaper is speaking to the MD and she will ask him about the license for pubs and restaurants.

Let me know if you hear anything please Anders.

Decoder box costs 1590BAHT, you can buy from Tesco

How does this work, just use this decoder instead of the True/Ubc decoder? unsure.png

So,if I understand this...True are not/will not show any of the Euro games. If I want to watch them I must buy this alternative decoder box,which I presumably plug into my existing cable from the True dish ???

I also assume then that True are unlikely to purchase any rights from GMM.

Does DMM have a website that gives program details?

I also presume then that the same satelite is used?

Edited by gennisis

How does this work, just use this decoder instead of the True/Ubc decoder? unsure.png

So,if I understand this...True are not/will not show any of the Euro games. If I want to watch them I must buy this alternative decoder box,which I presumably plug into my existing cable from the True dish ???

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/557873-pattaya-police-issue-euro-2012-warnings-to-bars-restaurants/

http://www.thaivisa....rs-restaurants/

Thanks Semper...will have to investigate this..must support England,at least for 3 games!!

Signal for Thai TV blocked on TRUE systems during live games to stop neighbouring countries stealing the signal. I've been told by GMM that the box will work on any dish. So only need to buy the box.

GMM do have a website. All in Thai though. I have been informed that this company will also show the Npower Championship and Bundesliga from next season.

so the usual merry-go-round starts again!! as with the world Cup in 2010.

You guys above who are in the know should also ask if GMM's coverage includes an English language commentary. In 2010 people were promised by True that if they bought an HDD TV they would get Englsih commentary. This was a blatant lie as RSS who bought the rights that time never bought the English commentary!

Even then, I doubt if I'd buy the licence when, as Thaimiller says only a few games kick off at 11pm, most at 1.45am -including two of Englands 3 games, all of Irelands three games and all the matches after the group stage. The only way I'd consider it is if it comes with a police permit to stay open late - which of course, it might do as the police wont be conducting meetings with bars in Pattaya out of the goodness of their hearts!!

GMM have said via there facebook page that by selecting "audio right" from the sound settings on the box will provide English commentary.

TRUE press conference a waste of time today. Just begging GMM from blocking the signal, insisting they can encrypt it so other countries can't steal it. No reply from GMM on this issue as yet, or on the licensing issue. As soon as I hear something from my friend at The Nation I'll post it here.

• Like 1

If you want to watch in HD you will need to get dtv. As I understand it that is the only way to watch in HD in Thailand and all games will be on live. They have an HD decoder which is 4999 Baht and includes all channels for a year. I was going to get gmm Grammy box but they do not have their HD box out yet. I do not see the point buying something that will be surpassed in a few weeks.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

I heard a rumour that the DooDee Pub & Restaurant would be showing Euro 2012, so I checked it out for myself. If you want to check it out their number is 0818850322......you can google them for location.

Today I spoke to Tao at the restaurant and she confirms that they will be showing the games.

Great news for the night owls, who are also football fans.smile.png

I have absolutely no interest in this establishment.....just thought it might be nice to know a place that is showing the late games.

Below is a schedule of games they are showing

Come on England!!

Friday, 8th June

Poland v Greece, Group A, 11pm,

Saturday, 9th June

Holland v Denmark, Group B, 11pm

Sunday 10th June

Germany v Portugal, Group B, 1.45am,

Spain v Italy, Group C, 11pm

Monday 11th June

France v England, Group D, 11pm, Donbass Arena - Donetsk, Ukraine ITV

Wednesday 13th June

Denmark v Portugal, Group B, 11pm, Arena Lviv - Lviv, Ukraine ITV BBC1

Thursday 14th June

Holland v Germany, Group B, 1.45am

Italy v Croatia, Group C, 11pm

Friday 15th June

Ukraine v France, Group D, 11pm,

Saturday 16th June

Sweden v England, Group D, 1.45am,

Monday 18th June

Portugal v Holland, Group B, 1.45am

Wednesday, 20th June

England v Ukraine, Group D, 1.45am

or

Sweden v France, Group D, 1.45am

Friday, 22nd June

Winner Group A v Runner-up Group B, Quarter-final 1, 1.45am

Saturday, 23rd June

Winner Group B v Runner-up Group A, Quarter-final 2, 1.45am

Sunday 24th June

Winner Group C v Runner-up Group D, Quarter-final 3, 1.45am

Monday 25th June

Winner Group D v Runner-up Group C, Quarter-final 4, 1.45am

Thursday 28th June

Winner QF 1 v Winner QF 3, Semi-final 1, 1.45am

Friday 29th June

Winner QF 2 v Winner QF 4, Semi-final 2, 1.45am

Monday 1st July

Winners SF1 v Winners SF2, Final, 1.45am , 1.45am

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

I actually went to the DooDee Pub and Restuarant (nearly opposite Chiang Mai Gate Hotel) a few nights ago with a thai friend, for the first time, and was impressed by what I saw. Kind of reminded me of a pub back home in England (minus all the Dutch flags lol)biggrin.png . I'm sure they had Chang and Heineken on Tap and sell the Towers too, aswell as a good selection of belgium/german bottled beers. Food menu looked good too.

I'm going to try and catch a few games there, as i'm sure they'll be a good atmosphere.

So apart from DooDee what other bars are definitely going to show this years Euro Champs? And does anyone know if/or what the license fee was for bar owners to show the games??

As Pedr from the Old Belle mentioned to fork out 6000 for a licence fee seems a bit crazy seeing most games kick off at 1.45am (except for the first week).