Sun Dried Tomato Paste

suegha

I'm hoping to cook Italian when in Thailand (we eat out every night but I do miss pasta whan I haven't had it for a while!), my secret ingredient is adding sundried tomato paste which gives a wonderful taste and texture to any tomato based dish.

Can I get it in Thailand? The brand I use in the UK is 'Sacla', the best quality paste I have come across. They also do various sauces and pestos for a quick and tasty dish.

Any suggestions?

ps Even Sun dried tomato that isn't in paste form is useful, if this helps.

Sun Dried Tomato Paste, can you get it in Thailand

i reckon u can find it in supermarket in LOS (i dont know the brand)..but from tv thai cooking program , sometime they use it for cook..and yes they bought it here(import , yes)

u'd try to check it (are u in Bkk??)

i just cant sleep for now

so i google how to make your wonw sun dried tomato

Making your own sun-dried tomatoes is very simple and certainly is much less expensive than purchasing them at the grocery store. Of course unless you live is a very hot sunny climate they are not technically going to be “sun” dried. Instead I am going to give you instructions on drying tomatoes in your food dehydrator or oven, this method is actually easier and more consistent than actual sun-drying.

The first thing is to pick the correct tomatoes, you want small meaty tomatoes for drying. The traditional drying variety is Principe Borghese, but you can also use plum or Roma tomatoes, which are much more readily available to those that do not grow their own tomatoes or start their own plants from seed.

Next you will need to prepare your tomatoes for drying, cut the smaller fruits, such as cherry type tomatoes and the smaller Italian varieties in half. The larger tomatoes will need to be cut into ½ inch slices. Drain your tomatoes slightly on paper towels and then place on the racks of your dehydrator, leaving enough space between the pieces for the air to circulate. To dry tomatoes in your dehydrator may take from 8 to 16 hours, depending on the thickness of your slices. It may help to rotate the trays if you have more than one in the dehydrator. To oven dry, place your tomatoes by putting them in single layers on wire racks or foil lined cookie sheets. Your oven temperature should be between 140 and 150 degrees, this works well in a gas oven with a pilot light, or if using an electric oven, set temperature on warm and prop the door open slightly. Oven drying will take from 10 to 24 hours, again if need be rotate your cookie sheets or racks.

When the tomatoes are dried they should be leathery but pliable, but non-sticky. Rather in texture like a raisin. Do not over dry.

To store your tomatoes, let them cool completely, then put them in ziplock bags or glass jars with an airtight lid. They will keep this way for up to 6 months. If wanting longer storage, put them in the freezer.

To rehydrate your tomatoes if need be, soak them for 5 to 10 minutes in hot water, broth, or wine to cover.

To store your tomatoes in oil, you will first need to rehydrate your tomatoes slightly, just until plump but still chewy. Dip them in either wine or distilled vinegar, then pack them in a jar with olive oil and some herbs such as, thyme or oregano, and some sliced garlic. Allow this to sit at room temperature for 4 to 8 hours. Then place them in the refrigerator

* - * - * - * - * -

Dear Tony:

Tackling tomato questions put us in a summer state of mind, so we began by lazily searching on the phrase "sun-dried tomatoes." Lucky for us, we turned up detailed sun-drying instructions from a ripe crop of Net sources.

First, pick your tomato. Roma or other plum tomatoes are good choices, since they are the meatiest, least watery varieties. VictorySeeds.com offers Principe Borghese, a traditional southern Italian drying tomato.

Now you'll need several days of hot sunshine, low humidity, and good air circulation. Begin by halving the fruits and placing them skin-side down on a clean plastic or nylon framed screen. Shepherd's suggests dipping the tomatoes in a solution of half water and half vinegar, and emphasizes leaving room for airflow between the pieces. Don't use metal screens as they may react with the tomato acid.

Cover the trays with cheesecloth to keep off bugs and dust, bring the trays in each night, and return them outdoors after the dew has dried and the sun is bright. An electric food dryer/dehydrator set at 120F (48.8C) for 24 hours yields similar results

i google it, keywords are ..sun dried tomato make