British Teacher In A Coma After Brutal Assault In Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pattaya is like most places in Thailand very safe. Course if u go looking for trouble then you can find it - dare say their is missing info to what actually happened. (random rebar attack? I doubt it - most likely a local dispute)

Hope lad recovers - certainly got unlucky written all over him.

More insensitive speculative posts removed.

Also a general flame denigrating residents and visitors to Pattaya and the quoted replies to it

• Like 2

I'm curious why this story is in the Chaingrai Times. What's the connection?

And the hospital charges 2,000 GBP per day!!! That's nearly 100,000 Baht. Even PBH doesn't charge that much!!!

, the bkk pattaya hospital, is famous for overpricing.i was at the hospital,with a friend who was seriously ill ,his bill after 14 hours was 120,00 baht,he was in icu,the money had to be paid which it was,they kept him there for 3 days,he was then taken of life support machines,only ha a drip left in his hand,they wanted to keep him for another day,,2 of the good nurses told my wife he does not need to be in icu,but in a room upstairs,which was 4000 baht a day,

I'm sure there's much more to the story...maybe we'll get it...maybe not. Nobody "deserves" to be beaten into a coma by a metal rod but I'm sure it was not a random act either (as portrayed in this media account) and I feel much safer anywhere in Thailand than in most places in the good ole' US of A!

Yes there must be more to this story than we read here, why get beaten into a coma with an iron bar? Was it road rage? He got out of his car and then attacked. Not many days ago a Norwegian in a Fortuner was shot at (5 times, 11mm handgun) but luckily enough his wife or GF was only hit in the arm and that was supposedly road rage.

I don't like driving after 8 PM especially in the weekends, speeding and drunk driving seems to be "normal".

I hope the teacher recovers.

I'm sure there's much more to the story...maybe we'll get it...maybe not. Nobody "deserves" to be beaten into a coma by a metal rod but I'm sure it was not a random act either (as portrayed in this media account) and I feel much safer anywhere in Thailand than in most places in the good ole' US of A!

Yeah, there is always more to the story than they're reporting. I've lived here for years and nobody has touched me. Must have gotten into a dispute at the bar.

• Like 1

Yet another story suppressed by the much-leaned-on Pattaya press.

It'as all over the UK press, even the Chiang Rai Times has covered it, but the local media?

So much serious crime goes on here, which is why vested interests want to hush it up through gagging the press, rather than doing the harder job of actually dealing with it.

from the article linked in the OP:

“We are doing everything we can to raise the money needed to ensure Adam survives and then to bring him home. The hospitals there are ruthless and if they don’t have the money on a per day basis, they may leave you to die. We won’t let this happen to somebody who really is one in a million.”

Interesting that that is the perception of his friend in Leeds. Apparently the Pattaya hospitals' reputation has spread overseas.

Have to add that after knowing many English teacher for a few years now, their provided health care is woefully inadequate. It's bare minimal coverage with many limitations of whats covered. Several times have shared beers with teachers, drowning their sorrow when they discovered their recent motorcycle accident hospital bills are not covered due to some exception on the 3000 baht a year group coverage.

In Pattaya you'd think it would be crazy not to carry more insurance - though I'm completely unaware of what Pattaya schools do offer their teachers.

Hmm, who in Pattaya has a short temper and likes to attack teachers....... I don't think Pattaya is a dangerous place unless you walk around in dimly lit areas with 5 baht of gold on you.

So, we only have ourselves to blame if we happen to be wearing something of value and get attacked and robbed (and probaly beaten with a metal bar)?

This kind of attack has become far too frequent, and it appears that the attackers are using such heavy implements with the intention of ensuring that their victims do not survive to identify them.

Your comment is nonsense..! It's like saying that girls deserve to be raped if they are not covered up from head to foot....!! Do they deserve all they get, as this teached did...?!?

Have to add that after knowing many English teacher for a few years now, their provided health care is woefully inadequate. It's bare minimal coverage with many limitations of whats covered. Several times have shared beers with teachers, drowning their sorrow when they discovered their recent motorcycle accident hospital bills are not covered due to some exception on the 3000 baht a year group coverage.

This guy wasn't an English teacher. He worked at an international school. A big difference. That's what makes him not being fully covered by his insurance even more shocking. Shame on Regents, their pay package is pretty crappy aswell.

Edited by LucidLucifer

It would appear yet another case of a foreigner in Thailand with no health insurance. Makes my blood boil, and this guy is a teacher? Should know better.

I hope he has generous friends, and wealthy parents. All completely avoidable with a decent policy.

And yet again another clear demonstration to those clowns who say they can just get on a plane if they get sick. Can't get on a plane if you are in ICU in a coma.

That said, I hope he recovers for the sake of his family as much as himself.

Regents School offer health insurance as part of their ex-pat package. Clearly not a very good policy though if it doesn't cover the bills in full.

And for those that keep banging the drum of how safe Pattaya is, just by the very nature of the place and the type of individual it attracts, both Thai and Foreign, I can't think of a more dangerous place in Thailand.

I guess the time has come to admit this has turned into another Pattaya bashing thread. The "no sex please I'm British" Brigade is out in force again. Hope the guy gets better.

Hmm, who in Pattaya has a short temper and likes to attack teachers....... I don't think Pattaya is a dangerous place unless you walk around in dimly lit areas with 5 baht of gold on you.

So, we only have ourselves to blame if we happen to be wearing something of value and get attacked and robbed (and probaly beaten with a metal bar)?

This kind of attack has become far too frequent, and it appears that the attackers are using such heavy implements with the intention of ensuring that their victims do not survive to identify them.

Your comment is nonsense..! It's like saying that girls deserve to be raped if they are not covered up from head to foot....!! Do they deserve all they get, as this teached did...?!?

I think that the original comment was meant to be sarcastic.

Pattaya is now a dangerous place. You must be very careful.

Barry

no its not

You obviously do not live in Pattaya or know anything about it to say Pattaya is safe !

I've lived in Pattaya for about 15 years and agree that it is not a dangerous place. Of course there are crimes committed here, some of them violent & brutal, but that's true of virtually every place on earth. I am not speculating about this individual since I know nothing about him, but certainly some of the senseless crime takes place in bars or involving people who have been drinking. Much of the crime reported involving farangs seems to always have some connection to bars, drinking and/or sex workers. If you play with fire ...

Looks what is really needed for foreigners in Thailand is a kind of repatriation insurance ..... to be as quick as possible permitted to be repatriated to western social care..!!

• Like 1

Looks what is really needed for foreigners in Thailand is a kind of repatriation insurance ..... to be as quick as possible permitted to be repatriated to western social care..!!

Or possibly upon arrival at the airport individuals deemed at risk could be assigned a minder. The nanny could keep cooing in the farang's ear, "It's not your fault. It never is."

It really isn't a question of what one deserves or who is to blame. A girl doesn't ever deserve to be raped, but exercising a little common sense in some cases might be more important than putting oneself at risk for the sake of fashion. It can be a dangerous world, even outside Pattaya, but we can make it safer or more dangerous for ourselves by choices we make. Wearing loads of gold jewelry or wearing the tiniest of bikinis or telling some drunk that he's a jerk are not crimes, but you have to accept that each behavior risks unpleasant consequences.

Edited by Suradit69

About 2 years ago, an ex-colleague who is Malaysian had an elderly female relative who was struck with a bar in broad daylight in KL by a bag snatcher...she is in a coma. If only to illustrate these things happen elsewhere.

In my area (Wongamat/Naklua), I have heard of at least 10 bag snatchings in the last year, 3 of which I witnessed personally involving hapless Russians. There is a thread running of a TV member who just had her bag snatched. If only to illustrate the increasing extent of such petty crimes in broad daylight nowhere near bars, albeit in only one area of Pattaya. Before then, I hardly heard of such a thing in the area. Of the 10 or 11 I know of, perhaps only 5 were reported in the media.

I hope the guy in the report makes a full recovery.

i was punched several times in the face by a drunken foreigner

outside the kiss restaurant because i looked at him

and asked him what he was looking at.

many passing tourists stopped to enjoy the fun

but nobody offered to help me.

one year later i still have dental problems.

the police were not involved and being a foreigner to foreigner

incident probably would not have helped.

you can get away with anything in pattaya.

yes it is a very dangerous place.

if you have not had an incident you are very lucky.

it is only a matter of time.

I feel sorry for this guy and I hope he makes a full recovery.

Some posters here need a reality check thou.

Pattaya safe you are really having a laff.

I have spent a lot of time in Pattaya over the last 10 years and have wandered around at all times of day and night and nothing has ever happened to me but it would be silly to say that makes Pattaya safe.

There is all sorts of stuff going on in Pattaya and the potential for trouble and violence is never far away.

Go and start talking to a few Thais about whether they think Pattaya is safe and most will say definitely not.

• Like 1

The topic has shifted a bit but while that is still going on I would add that the dark side has its trouble makers and would-be hard guys fueled by drink. I have had a few verbal confrontations and one physical one so I know it happens. It is wrong to think that police will not deal with a farang vs, farang incident and can and do follow Thai laws and penalties on public disorder.

Pattaya is now a dangerous place. You must be very careful.

Barry

no its not

You obviously do not live in Pattaya or know anything about it to say Pattaya is safe !

For your information pal,i have lived in Pattaya for 9 years,so i am speaking of experience

We hope for a full recovery, strenght to the family.

Pattaya is not what is was 20 years ago, every expat knows this. Drugs changed a lot in this place but also in the rest of the world.

Worse than other citys? I also have bin around in the world and believe me there are 100% more dangerous places out there.

I agree that it is not save to walk around at night with 2-3-4- or 5 bath of gold around your neck. try to do this in Brazil and you go home in a bag, garanty.

I am living in Ubon Ratchathani where it is reasunably calm and save. very nice place ( like a lot in beautiful Thailand )

My wife and I also go somethimes to Pattaya for some holiday but the bars in the night - for me this is past.

I think it is time to look for an other holiday place in the coming future.

Any suggestions?

We hope for a full recovery, strenght to the family.

Pattaya is not what is was 20 years ago, every expat knows this. Drugs changed a lot in this place but also in the rest of the world.

Worse than other citys? I also have bin around in the world and believe me there are 100% more dangerous places out there.

I agree that it is not save to walk around at night with 2-3-4- or 5 bath of gold around your neck. try to do this in Brazil and you go home in a bag, garanty.

I am living in Ubon Ratchathani where it is reasunably calm and save. very nice place ( like a lot in beautiful Thailand )

My wife and I also go somethimes to Pattaya for some holiday but the bars in the night - for me this is past.

I think it is time to look for an other holiday place in the coming future.

Any suggestions?

good post,

Go for a long weekend to Stoke and see how dangerous that is lol

It really doesn't make a difference where this attack happened, I don't really understand what that has to do with getting a decent health insurance policy.

Even if the school concerned provided a policy of sorts, it's still up to the individual to make sure that adequate cover is in place.

Regardless of where you happen to be in the World. Thailand is not the nanny state that UK has become.

This town has got to have the worst Thai and Farang people of anywhere in Thailand.

Yes I did live there.

Yes I was assaulted there.

It is an absolute cesspool of humanity.

Just look around.

Doc

• Like 1

It really doesn't make a difference where this attack happened, I don't really understand what that has to do with getting a decent health insurance policy.

Even if the school concerned provided a policy of sorts, it's still up to the individual to make sure that adequate cover is in place.

Regardless of where you happen to be in the World. Thailand is not the nanny state that UK has become.

that's why i like a repatriation to my E.U. "nanny state" (i have it in my normal "nanny state insurance" if needed on docters orders ) would" tea money" help the doctors neded signature on the paperswink.png ??

insurance counts for a maximum stay in hospital 3 months total a year only , but pay myself first later claim back with billssad.png

This town has got to have the worst Thai and Farang people of anywhere in Thailand.

Yes I did live there.

Yes I was assaulted there.

It is an absolute cesspool of humanity.

Just look around.

Doc

violin.gif

Typical hysterical over-reaction and condemnation of the town that crops up in these threads on an all too frequent basis.

• Like 1