British Teacher In A Coma After Brutal Assault In Pattaya

webfact

Pattaya is now a dangerous place. You must be very careful.

Barry

no its not

You obviously do not live in Pattaya or know anything about it to say Pattaya is safe !

For your information pal,i have lived in Pattaya for 9 years,so i am speaking of experience

I’ve lived in Pattaya 29 years and not a problem so far. Pattaya is a safe place to stay.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was punched several times in the face by a drunken foreigner

outside the kiss restaurant because i looked at him

and asked him what he was looking at.

many passing tourists stopped to enjoy the fun

but nobody offered to help me.

one year later i still have dental problems.

the police were not involved and being a foreigner to foreigner

incident probably would not have helped.

you can get away with anything in pattaya.

yes it is a very dangerous place.

if you have not had an incident you are very lucky.

it is only a matter of time.

unfortunately in some countries asking someone "what are you loking at" is taken as a challange for a fight

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

unfortunately in some countries asking someone "what are you loking at" is taken as a challange for a fight

Absolutely right - in the uk, it was a challenge as far back as i can remember - certainly in the 1950s and after.

I'm sure there's much more to the story...maybe we'll get it...maybe not. Nobody "deserves" to be beaten into a coma by a metal rod but I'm sure it was not a random act either (as portrayed in this media account) and I feel much safer anywhere in Thailand than in most places in the good ole' US of A!

Yeah, there is always more to the story than they're reporting. I've lived here for years and nobody has touched me. Must have gotten into a dispute at the bar.

Jaundiced opinion or fact?

i had 8 years in koh Samui and feel safer here. I am outside Pattaya but go in regular and rarlly see trouble, and never had any. In Samui i had 2 friends murdered and saw a Thai shot in the head standing next to me in a night club. I feel safer here.

Maybe we are lucky but you are funny...

People don't even understand that they get the troubles they look for and deserve...

Very sad for this man. Let's hope he recovers soon and the culprits are caught.

As for Pattaya, I'd walk around Beach Road at night any time when compared to parts of Rome, Los Angeles, London, Buenos Aires, Paris or any other major city in the world. It ain't the best, but it's FAR from the worst.

Wow, thanks for letting us know where you've been or is it part of the "I'd" wishful thinking? "I would" ain't squat; means nothing except for the little guy trying to sound big. Parts ain't parts, so you have to be more specific. Anybody can find "parts" of a city where they might walk at night. Notice you didn't put Joburg on your list.

Of course it all depends on what you do in Pattaya .

Do you go outside in the middle of the night, are you drunk, do you take prostitutes with you home, do you drive an expensive car/bike , do you wear gold chains, do you carry a lot of cash with you, all these factors decides if you are safe or not.

If I lived in Pattaya I would try to avoid any confrontations. And never get too drunk.

Edited by balo

Maybe we are lucky but you are funny...

People don't even understand that they get the troubles they look for and deserve...

Not another self-appointed guru talking down to "the people." Why don't you go over to the hospital with your enlightened arrogance and explain to this guy's wife and family about what he was looking for and what he deserved?

Tought you to keep your mouth shut, though, did'nt it !

• Like 1

Yes well Marstons, you don't want to be too smug about your location as it can happen anywhere. You just have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I live on Samui and feel perfectly safe here although i did recently have a bad experience. Turning into a soi on my Honda Click one evening, i was confronted by a black 4x4 with tinted windows, driving towards me on my side of the road (as they tend to do) feeling a bit pissed off as i had no more room to pass, i just stopped and let him continue sounding his horn, indicating that there was heaps of room on his side and that he should back back and move over ! Suddenly the window went down and a body appeared with a pistol pointing at me. I immediately screwed it on and shot across to his side of the road passed him and was away. I heard at least 2 shots fired. After calming down, i decided to go to the nearest police station to report it. When i got there "low and behold" there was the black 4x4 and the guy was inside chatting with his mates, he did not appear to recognise me, so i gave it a miss.

Edited by oldsailor35

As for Pattaya, I'd walk around Beach Road at night any time when compared to parts of Rome, Los Angeles, London, Buenos Aires, Paris or any other major city in the world. It ain't the best, but it's FAR from the worst.

Wow, thanks for letting us know where you've been or is it part of the "I'd" wishful thinking? "I would" ain't squat; means nothing except for the little guy trying to sound big. Parts ain't parts, so you have to be more specific. Anybody can find "parts" of a city where they might walk at night. Notice you didn't put Joburg on your list.

Been to every city listed, and many more. Pattaya is very safe compared to most other major cities around the world. And I've been to many, many, many. I'd take Pattaya over most.

Been to every city listed, and many more. Pattaya is very safe compared to most other major cities around the world. And I've been to many, many, many. I'd take Pattaya over most.

This sounds very reassuring. However, have you by chance visited any other cities in Thailand? Most people in Thailand couldnt give a hoot if the cities you mentioned are more dangerous compared to Pattaya.

I think we can all agree that Pattaya is no more unsafe than dodgy parts of big western cities, and less safe than other cities in Thailand.

Getting back to the subject now, I'd like to say that this attack of the teacher seems very mysterious to say the least.

No other information than:

- he got out of the car for unknown reasons

- was beaten using a metal bar

- the perp is supposedly a westerner

all this remains very very mysterious

I hope the victim recovers

Oddly enough, before I ever moved to Pattaya, most of the ladies I had relationships with all warned me of the dangers in Thailand. Some were very worried about letting me out on my own. Yet I've only had 2 incidents and neither have been in Pattaya.

Being in the Merchant Navy - starting at 17 years old - I can say that even back in the 'good old days' there were very many bad places in many countries to be and I am not talking about hanging around the docks either. Yet I took the advice of my elders at the time and I took care and I survived and enjoyed the life.

A few basic steps are all that is generally needed to stay relatively safe, but those who insist on knocking Pattaya will never be convinced it does have its virtues as well as its bad side like so many other places in the world.

True, the Regents school does not cover their teachers with proper medical insurance. You would think the high amount tuition these private schools charge, (Regents, St.Andrews, Garden, and ISE) , they could afford to offer their Western, certified, overseas teachers adequate medical care. After all, these are not retired farangs teaching English, but qualified, licensed, experienced teachers who teach specific subjects to the students attending these international schools. Let's hope this literature teacher at Regents pulls through.

Edited by toenail
  • Like 1

Seen fights/violence in most every major city in Thailand. One thing in common involved was alcohol. Funny thing with some legless Thai(s) you slight them in this state they seriously want to harm you.

In Summary Pattaya isn't any different than anywhere in Thailand.

Seen fights/violence in most every major city in Thailand. One thing in common involved was alcohol. Funny thing with some legless Thai(s) you slight them in this state they seriously want to harm you.

In Summary Pattaya isn't any different than anywhere in Thailand.

Possibly because they're suddenly made aware of 'loss of face' ?

This sounds very reassuring. However, have you by chance visited any other cities in Thailand? Most people in Thailand couldnt give a hoot if the cities you mentioned are more dangerous compared to Pattaya.

I've been to every major city and most of the minor ones. I've lived in 3 cities here so far.

Yes well Marstons, you don't want to be too smug about your location as it can happen anywhere. You just have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I live on Samui and feel perfectly safe here although i did recently have a bad experience. Turning into a soi on my Honda Click one evening, i was confronted by a black 4x4 with tinted windows, driving towards me on my side of the road (as they tend to do) feeling a bit pissed off as i had no more room to pass, i just stopped and let him continue sounding his horn, indicating that there was heaps of room on his side and that he should back back and move over ! Suddenly the window went down and a body appeared with a pistol pointing at me. I immediately screwed it on and shot across to his side of the road passed him and was away. I heard at least 2 shots fired. After calming down, i decided to go to the nearest police station to report it. When i got there "low and behold" there was the black 4x4 and the guy was inside chatting with his mates, he did not appear to recognise me, so i gave it a miss.

Certainly not being smug, seeing somebodys brains blown out is a terrible thing to see, to loose a friend with a bullet in the head in Soi Reggae in full view of everybody is nothing to be smug about, his friend was shot 4 times in the chest. Just stating i feel safer here, and the police certainly seem more active, road checks may well be revenue generation but they do inspect bikes under the seats and do nightly road checks on cars., i have never seen that in other places. Just stating i fell safer here than there and you have confirmed that with your story about being shot at. Should the day come here where somebody tries to shoot me for nothing i will be off.

Yes, 100,000 baht a day in hospital charges seems very high.

I guess he's on a life support machine, but the charge is well over the top. My wife was recently hospitalised and spent a week in a private room / intensive care in a hospital in Singapore for 140,000 baht.

I would guess it depends on surgery charges if any....my 3 days in Samitivej Sri Racha cost 450,000 including a stent procedure.....I'm lead to believe that BPH would have charged me over 600,000......

Change that 'some' to 'most'. Sadly, this is the case in most of the world, I think. The behavior of most guys in the world are driven by macho attitudes.

I hope the victim recovers.

Edited by JemJem

There are crimes like that everywhere in the world .... Pattaya makes no exception .... As well as many other tourists destination worldwide. Pattaya is not more dangerous than Ibiza , Nice or Miami .

the difference is this is Thailand, not Miami, LA, or even my hometown of DC. people come here thinking its safe when the truth is its not. you have to watch your ass just like anywhere else. and you should never go out alone. by preaching that Pattaya is safe, you are only putting other tourists at risk. it would be the same as telling people that bus or van transport is safe.

i always thought Pattaya is a cesspool - the worst of Thailand. i prefer almost any other province or city.

I go there every weekend by bus or van transport. Pattaya is perfectly safe. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Pattaya is not as you quote "Perfectly Safe"...muggings happen..I was mugged 3 years ago...an aquaintance 4 years ago...both to get what little money we had on us...no vendetas, nothing mysterious....just to get what the muggers could...So you cannot say Pattaya is perfectly safe just because you have not been attacked. Is it more or less 'safe' than anywhere else? I don't know. I'll leave that for others to say as I know liitle of the world having spent the last 28 years in Pattaya.

Why keep talking about whether patts is safe or not? That is irrelivent with this story as this is clearly not an unprovoked attack, no chance.

Some idiots just like to bash pattaya at every opp they get.

Agree with this,why this thread had to wander off course is nonsensical.

Middle of nowhere,middle on the night and he gets his brains bashed in,( road rage? don't make me laugh) not only that but what appears a massive cover up, no witnesses but police suspect another westerner,questions of what connection this guy has to any institution,that could cause any embarrassment,but not only a connection,but what went on in any particular institution that went to the root of this incident

Because someone hasn't been personally mugged doesn't make a place safe. Just take a look at the crime stats for Pattaya. There are lots of violent crimes. Much more than for a similar sized UK or US city. Yes, Pattaya is generally safe during the daytime, but at night it's a different place.

Crime stats from where? Come on now. Fess up. There are no accurate statistics about Pattaya. And how do you know at night it is not safe? I lived there every night for 3 years. So I know. I hope the teacher recovers but don't make up reasons that you can't verify that the town is dangerous. It is not dangerous. Ask anyone who lives there.

I live there...28 years of living there and I've been mugged. So you cannot say it is safe. But I'm not saying it is dangerous either. Due care has to be taken just as it would be in any other city of its type around the world. Stay in busy lit-up areas and you'll probably be OK. Wander a little of the beaten track as I did and you could end up in trouble. Notice I said 'could' not 'will'. The odds of it happening? Well for me it was once in 25 years and it hasn't stopped me from living here it has just made me more careful.