Stores In Pak Chong Area

rono

We spent 4 days in pak chong, 2 km from the kao yai entrance last weekend.

During our 4 day stay we fell in love with the place and decided to look for some property for our retirement days so we bought a bungalow.

Are there any stores in pak chong area selling western food like cheese, salami and so?

I guess the nearest department stores such as Big C, lotus are in saraburi and korat.

Any farangs in pak chong area?

Hi lopburi3,

Living in Los since 93 I have learned that if you really like or want something you have to buy it on the spot, otherwise someone else will be faster, of course I discussed the pros and cons for a few days with my thai wife and daughter. The last day we made our decision.

Actually, we were thinking for several years were we would spend our retirement days and what we could do, mostly our thoughts went to beach or mountain areas.

I always like the mountain, forests, nature and the cowboy style, we both will be not too old and want to do something such as opening a cowboy shop combined with a burger or coffee house, just to have something to do and to make some extra income.

Talk about impulse shopping - go for a weekend and buy the place. :o

Sorry can't help on your questions but have recently read that there are a number of foreigners in the area. Cowboy heaven.

A couple of years ago we passed thru Pak Chong and stopped off at two "Western" style places. One is called Buffalo Bill's and they sold all kinds of cowboy type items and the other, located next door, Texas Saloon, was a diner. I dont know if either are still in business or not but from your post it sounds like something you would be interested in. They are located on the main road into Pak Chong. That is if you were to take the road that leads into the National Park go away from the park. You will cross over Freindship Highway then keep going straight heading into Pak Chong,and these places will be on your left.

Here is lktheir phone number 044 312-528, 044 280-094

Hi spaniel,

thanks for the info, i actually went in this cowboy shop last year and passed it again on new years day.

there are lots of restaurants serving western food in pak chong-kao yai area but i was eager to find out if there were any convenient shops, mini marts, department stores in this area selling cheese, ham, bacon, salami and so becuase as far as i know the nearest department stores are in saraburi or korat

You'd be correct, for a regular and fresh source a trip to Korat or Saraburi would be required.

There are a few small places that will have a certain small supply but they will tend to be " almost past best", "past best" or "well past best" !

When you live up here I think nothing of driving a round trip of 110 kms for 5 litre plastic bottles of milk - which I subsequently freeze for use over the next couple of weeks. I also do the same with salami, pepperoni, cheese, lamb, butter etc. As long as you use the stuff up (and use it in date order so it does not lie in the freezer for months then you have no worries.)

* NOTE* If you want to freeze milk - do not buy low fat milk to freeze - just buy regular milk - the higher the fat content the better it freezes.

This may be obvious advice, but a good investment is a cold box (polystyrene box) to store your items in when travelling (as you never know when that coffee - ah ok a beer - leads to a few hours of stuff lying in the car warming up! )

If you use Makro in Korat (or Surin) they stock the polystyrene boxes so you can pack the items there, the boxes are only 30 - 150 baht depending upon volume.

So I guess the best advice is buy a freezer and most importantly! use it for items that you can not get in your immediate locality.

thanks for the confirmation regarding department stores, at present i live about 30 minutes for the nearest department stores, not becuase distance but traffic jam in rangsit area.

I go monthly and buy large qty of cheese, salami, ham, bacon,bologna, you know the stuff north europeans tend to eat with bread. I ask the lady to pack each in packs of 100 or 200 grams, a few packs i put in the fridge, the rest goes in the freezer so expiry date is not important anymore. When a pack is empty i simply take one of the freezer. The meat remains quite fresh but you have to use it within a week or so once you have defrosted it.

guess I will do the same when i live in pak chong, fater all, saraburi is only 60 km, with some luck it will take me the same time as now.

Only 75 km away and you are in Korat.

Makro/BigC/The Mall/Lotus Tesco/Klang Plaza 1 and 2 and many many small and medium shops.

(Not enough bars according to some people but that is not the issue here.)

I am regualr around Pak Chong on small trips,think you can do the same the other way around.

The advice about freezer and so is very good.

In Mua Klek you can get the Kraft brand cheese, butter, milk and a few misc foreign things (vanilla extract, pancake mix etc). There is a seven-eleven type store (not actually 7-11) on the main street near th entrance to the market heading towards the train station that seems to have the most.

BTW, any recommendations on the various western style restaurants? I especially wonder about the italian (supposedly) places I've seen on the road into Khao Yai.

In Mua Klek you can get the Kraft brand cheese, butter, milk and a few misc foreign things (vanilla extract, pancake mix etc). There is a seven-eleven type store (not actually 7-11) on the main street near th entrance to the market heading towards the train station that seems to have the most.

BTW, any recommendations on the various western style restaurants? I especially wonder about the italian (supposedly) places I've seen on the road into Khao Yai.

thanks cheryl, will visit the department stores in saraburi or korat once a month. I stayed in a resort 2 km from the entrance to kao yai and their steaks were good.

regarding Italian restaurants: available in most department stores but I only will eat there if my daughter insists to go in. I prefer the real italian restaurants where the food is cooked by an italian, there you can get a pizza half the price of those in the chain stores and much much better.

• 3 weeks later...
We spent 4 days in pak chong, 2 km from the kao yai entrance last weekend.

During our 4 day stay we fell in love with the place and decided to look for some property for our retirement days so we bought a bungalow.

Are there any stores in pak chong area selling western food like cheese, salami and so?

I guess the nearest department stores such as Big C, lotus are in saraburi and korat.

Any farangs in pak chong area?

Hi Rono

Constuction is about to begin on Big C store in Pak Chong

On the main highway from Bangers to Korat, a few hundred metres before the exit to Pak Chong and Kao Yai, you can see the earthworks being done on the site on the right hand side (coming from BK)

Regards

CCC

ps: I think!

Thanks for the info CCC, will remember it next time I go there, anyway dont like big C too much cause they dont have the cheese and meat i get in lotus or tops.

Noticed your posting re schools, topic I am also close following for my 11 year daughter.

cheers, rono