One Sting Reported From Flood Of 'Bluebottles' At Phuket Beaches

webfact

One sting reported from flood of 'bluebottles' at Phuket beaches

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Phuket lifeguards at Kata and Karon beaches so far have reported only one person being stung by the bluebottle jellyfish that washed ashore in droves yesterday.

More than 100 of the “stingers” washed ashore at Kata and Karon beaches, confirmed Uten Singsom, head lifeguard at Kata-Karon patrol unit on Phuket's southwest coast.

He also received reports that some were found on Nai Harn Beach, further south.

“Officers from the Phuket Marine Biological Center collected many of them, including four alive ones, for examination,” he said.

“There were a lot less of them today,” he added.

Despite nearly all the stingers being dead when stranded on the beach, Mr Uten strongly advised against touching them.

“This is just in case people may be allergic to the sting. If a person touches a bluebottle tentacle, they should wash the area immediately with freshwater [or drinking water] or vinegar,” he said.

The phenomenon of stingers washing ashore is becoming a regular feature of Phuket’s rainy season.

“This kind of jellyfish cannot swim by itself and they are usually found at the bottom of the sea but during the [southwest] monsoon season, the strong current and waves pull them up to the surface and wash them ashore,” Mr Uten explained.

One Phuket Gazette reader commented, “I counted more than 50 on the beach and many more washing up, most were very small but a few were bigger than I have ever seen on Phuket.

“I also counted 13 on the beach at Nai Harn. Lifeguards at Nai Harn said one lady was stung yesterday. Guards at Kata told me they weren’t aware of anyone being stung at Kata.”

The reader reported one of the bluebottles having a tentacle measuring about two meters long.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16069.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-05-30

If these are the Bluebottle jellyfish then Mr Uten has it wrong. They in fact live on the ocean surface and the bladder acts as a sail. Pretty hard to live on the ocean floor when 90% of the body is a balloon

If these are the Bluebottle jellyfish then Mr Uten has it wrong. They in fact live on the ocean surface and the bladder acts as a sail. Pretty hard to live on the ocean floor when 90% of the body is a balloon

If you don't know then make it up. Its the way things are done round these parts.

If you don't know then make it up. Its the way things are done round these parts.

He also got the treatment exactly wrong. It's sea water then hot water, not fresh water or vinegar. His description of both treatment and blue bottle origins (from under the sea) are accurate for jellyfish, which these are not.

Also, the "stingers" are able to sting long after the BB has washed ashore.

Not sure why PG didn't use my pictures. They even called to get permission. In case anyone missed the other thread, these were taken at Kata Beach yesterday:

utf-8bUGhvdG8wMzM5LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8bUGhvdG8wMzQwLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8bUGhvdG8wMzQyLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8bUGhvdG8wMzU1LmpwZw.jpg

Edited by NomadJoe

This is from a NSW (Australia) government handout about Bluebottles - see link below :

http://www.ambulance.nsw.gov.au/Media/docs/090730bluebottle-eee3bc83-ce7c-4281-a095-b427eb01e6d0-0.pdf

BLUEBOTTLE STINGS

Bluebottle tentacles will cause a sharp, painful sting if they are touched, which is aggravated by rubbing the area. Intense pain may be felt from a few minutes to many hours and develops into a dull ache which then spreads to surrounding joints.

People who have been stung by a bluebottle may exhibit signs of severe illness. Children, asthmatics and people with allergies can be badly affected and a number of cases of severe breathing difficulties have been reported in Australia.

If stinging occurs, leave the water immediately.

Treatment

> A major sting to the face or neck area should be treated urgently, especially if there is swelling to the site. In these cases dial the local Emergency Service immediately and ask for Ambulance.

> Remove any tentacles that are stuck to the skin with tweezers or a gloved hand.

> Wash the site of the sting with lots of seawater.

> Immerse the victims site of the sting in tolerably hot water.

> If hot water is not available apply ice packs, avoiding direct contact with the skin by wrapping the ice pack in a towel.

> Do not apply vinegar.

> Do not rub sand on the area.

> Your doctor may provide you with further treatment should you feel it is necessary.

• Like 1

Interesting...I have to wonder where Mr. Uten is getting his info on blue bottles. He doesn't seem to know the first thing about them.

And to be specific a Bluebottle is not a jelly fish but a Siphonophorae.

I'm fairly certain that people don't have much use for the West's taxonomic subtleties in Thailand. I'd love to see you try to explain this to your average Thai or Chinese person.

Portuguese Man o wars. Us surfers see them and get hit by them all thevtines as the are popular here in the cooler sears when swells typical roll in. Yeah, don't use vinegar. Warm sea water or heat pad us best to deactivate stingers. Fresh cool water or vinegar may just activate stingers to fire more.

These won't kill you, but can leave a nasty scar if you get tangled up in tentacles. I seem to recall one surfer maybe dying close to here, but he got really wrapped up around the torso and I think went into anaphylactic shock. He either died or was severely scarred. Just cannot remember.