Old Videos/Pictures Of Patpong

Hi there,

I m looking especially for video/super 8 footage of Patpong between 1960-1990. Doe anyone know where to get those

or did anyone has done it? It is for a study/documentary project, Thanks,Dirk

• 2 months later...
Actually very few military visited Patpong prior to about 1970 (when Go-Go dancers appeared). They made there home on Phetchaburi Road (New Phetchaburi then) for the most part.

As I recollect, from my time here in the military, Patpong was a hot spot in the 1960's. I remember it had bars offering the usual entertainments, but there was a Bangkok World article which described barber shops offering special services in the back rooms and even special under cape massages...

Edited by dighambara

As I recall, in 1969, there were less than a half dozen bars - all on the West side - but most of soi were airline offices and the 'Red Door' restaurant. The bars were an unnamed shophouse type place on corner of Silom, Rome, Max's Place and The Gaslight. Above was a night time only place call Aladdin. Only after Grand Prix, on the other side, opened did any number of R&R military travel to that area of the city (although some stationed in Thailand did). Most military from Viet Nam never got off of New Phetchaburi Road. That was by design.

As I recall, in 1969, there were less than a half dozen bars - all on the West side - but most of soi were airline offices and the 'Red Door' restaurant. The bars were an unnamed shophouse type place on corner of Silom, Rome, Max's Place and The Gaslight. Above was a night time only place call Aladdin. Only after Grand Prix, on the other side, opened did any number of R&R military travel to that area of the city (although some stationed in Thailand did). Most military from Viet Nam never got off of New Phetchaburi Road. That was by design.

As I recall a few made it to some of the bars and restaurants etc in lower Sukhumvit. Paatpong, where I worked for a while (In an office upstairs) did not seem to appeal to them.

Yes there were some going to the Grace/Nana hotel, and above, areas. Another area was Gayson and President Hotel but mostly local expats there. There was also an R&R hotel in the Florida Hotel area so expect some bars there (although never went).

Go to the Cosmos Bar in Patpong and ask for Khun Vinai the owner. If anyone has what you are looking for it is him. He is still playing the same Cliff Richard and Elvis Presley records which were popular in Patpong in the '60s and he has a very large collection of old Thai bank notes and coins. Cosmos is not a go-go bar and is the prefered friday after lunch drinking place for Bangkok South Rotarians, of which he is one.