Phuket Beach Toll Rises As Kitesurfing American Dies

webfact

Phuket beach toll rises as kitesurfing American dies

Phuket Gazette

kite.jpeg

The strong, sustained winds off Nai Harn make it one of the most popular spots in Thailand for kitesurfing enthusiasts, and the American who died was reportedly a regular on the beach.

PHUKET: -- An American kitesurfer died en route to hospital after being pulled from the surf at Phuket's Nai Harn Beach around noon today.

The man, whose name has not been released to the press, had been kitesurfing earlier that morning. He was seen by beach vendors struggling in shallow water after heading back to shore.

“We saw him floating in the shallow water, maybe 20 centimeters deep, close to shore. He had yelled something, but we thought he was making a joke,” said Somchai Ketsiri, a beach vendor who witnessed the event.

“Then we saw him caught up in a couple of waves and we could tell that he was weak.

"Then he was floating face down in the water,” Mr Somchai explained.

Mr Somchai rushed into the water to help and was assisted in pulling the kitesurfer ashore by a foreigner who happened to be close by.

Lifeguards called to the scene reportedly took first aid measures for the twenty minutes it took the Vachira Phuket Hospital ambulance to arrive.

During the transfer the man stopped breathing.

He was pronounced dead on arrival at Bangkok Phuket Hospital, a staff member there confirmed.

Hospital staff have not yet released the specific cause of death to the press.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16080.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-01

“We saw him floating in the shallow water, maybe 20 centimeters deep, close to shore. He had yelled something, but we thought he was making a joke,” said Somchai Ketsiri, a beach vendor who witnessed the event..........

....what a shame....especially in light of adverse, perilous conditions so highly publicized lately........that was the time they had to act........

From what it says...cannot really blame the vendors....sounds like he was a regualr down there and possibly a strong swimmer....so if witnessing him do this every day and that he is good at it....you could first think he was just fooling around.

Sounds like he may have had a heart attack or something.

Thai - style ; The ignoring Thai vendor suddenly got involved when a foreigner asked him to help. I've never seen a Thai civilian lift an eyebrow not to mention do anything to help in an emergency situation. If they are guilty they flee - if not, they just stop and stare. As a falang I would not get involved, even if I have the qualifications.( Dr)

Did it once and nearly got lynched cause the "rescue" wanted to rip all values from the poor lady who went down in a MB accident.sick.gif

• Like 1

Thai - style ; The ignoring Thai vendor suddenly got involved when a foreigner asked him to help. I've never seen a Thai civilian lift an eyebrow not to mention do anything to help in an emergency situation. If they are guilty they flee - if not, they just stop and stare. As a falang I would not get involved, even if I have the qualifications.( Dr)

Did it once and nearly got lynched cause the "rescue" wanted to rip all values from the poor lady who went down in a MB accident.sick.gif

You are grouping everyone in the same bad light.

This is not the case.

I know there is one (beach vendor) in particular on Nai Harn who puts out red flags on dangerous days, and 2 on Karon. (who have saved and helped to save many would-be drownings)

Those 3 guys have done a lot to save a lot of lives here.

How many have you saved?

Bummer about the kite surfer. I only knew one American kite guy.

RIP.

Edited by fiddlehead
  • Like 2

That SE side of Nai Harn gets some pretty rapid wave action, breaking very near the beach.

I wonder if the kitesurfer was wearing a life vest? I recall that most do that I have seen. Perhaps there were some other issues, like entanglement in the lines...?

At any rate, may he RIP.

I've never seen a Thai civilian lift an eyebrow not to mention do anything to help in an emergency situation.

Newbie!

One trip to Thailand where you spent one week in Patong beach and Bang La road doesn't entitle you to make such a statement.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 2

Phuket kitesurfer not stung, didn't drown, say lifeguards

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: Phuket lifeguards have dismissed the assertion that the American kitesurfer who died shortly after being pulled from the sea at Nai Harn Beach yesterday drowned or was stung by a jellyfish.

Nai Harn lifeguard Charintorn Naripen told the Phuket Gazette, “Four of us tried for 20 minutes to revive the casualty before the ambulance arrived. We don’t believe he drowned as he did not throw up any liquid. Also, the location when he raised the alarm was very close to the beach.

“Even though we’ve found about five bluebottles [stingers] on Nai Harn Beach every day, we found no trace of them on him, so we’re quite sure he didn’t die from that,” he said.

Mr Charintorn added that the wind yesterday was quite strong, and that kitesurfers usually do not venture out when the wind is too strong.

The identity of the American kite surfer has not been released as relatives have yet to be informed, the Gazette was told.

Staff at Bangkok Hospital Phuket today said they had yet to identify the cause of death and were awaiting contact from the US Embassy.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16094.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-02

It does sound more as if it was a heart attack, as he was in shallow water, and the rescuers found no traces of stings, and it seemed that he had not drowned...

The beach vendors did try to help him, and apparently have saved many others, so I think despite this particular case, at least they tried, and thats all that can be asked of anyone.

I think we should say "Thanks" to the people involved for at least trying to help - its sad that the ambulance took so long to arrive, but in the Thai traffic system, a siren and flashing lights is often totally ignored, and the delay can be fatal.

I do hope that we see more of the paramedic type vehicles that are fitted with similar life-saving equipment as the ambulances and other emergency vehicles overseas. Its getting better here, but we need more special vehicles and trained people. In this case we will never know, it may not have made any difference, but in many others, it will.

Very sad for the guy who was obviously just enjoying life and the freedom of the sea and wind - Rest in Peace.

Thai - style ; The ignoring Thai vendor suddenly got involved when a foreigner asked him to help. I've never seen a Thai civilian lift an eyebrow not to mention do anything to help in an emergency situation. If they are guilty they flee - if not, they just stop and stare. As a falang I would not get involved, even if I have the qualifications.( Dr) Did it once and nearly got lynched cause the "rescue" wanted to rip all values from the poor lady who went down in a MB accident.sick.gif

Then Boss woke from his nightmare and breathed a sigh of relief as his maid was bringing his coffee and breakfast.cheesy.gif

OK, so if a Thai does not help it's a deplorable national character flaw, when you don't help it's just good common sense?

• Like 2

In US, you don't just rent kite board equipment to someone with no clue how to control and fly the kite. You give these people instructional lessons on the beach first. Kites can be difficult to control and if he had that much trouble in shallow water, he had no clue what he was doing. People think surfing and kite boarding is easy because it looks easy, but the reality is beginners need to always be warned and provided proper instructions and basic lessons for most extreme sports. Surfing perhaps only if a fast steep break with rips and undertow present. Kite boarding always mandates basic lessons. I instruct both in my spare time.

Edited by ttelise

In US, you don't just rent kite board equipment to someone with no clue how to control and fly the kite. You give these people instructional lessons on the beach first. Kites can be difficult to control and if he had that much trouble in shallow water, he had no clue what he was doing. People think surfing and kite boarding is easy because it looks easy, but the reality is beginners need to always be warned and provided proper instructions and basic lessons for most extreme sports. Surfing perhaps only if a fast steep break with rips and undertow present. Kite boarding always mandates basic lessons. I instruct both in my spare time.

Apparently he was an experienced kitesurfer.