Phuket Kickboxer Aldhouse Extradition Hearing Postponed

webfact

Phuket kickboxer Aldhouse extradition hearing postponed

Phuket Gazette

a1.jpeg

Judges at the British High Court have agreed to defer the extradition hearing for Lee Aldhouse so that his lawyers will have more time to prepare their appeal. Photo: Anthony M/Wikipedia

a2.jpeg

British kickboxer Lee Aldhouse continues to fight extradition to Thailand to face charges for the killing of Deshawn Longfellow.

PHUKET: -- The UK High Court has agreed to postpone the extradition hearing of murder fugitive Lee Aldhouse so that his lawyers will have more time to prepare their case, the Phuket Gazette has learned.

Mr Aldhouse successfully fled Thailand after allegedly stabbing American Deshawn Longfellow to death in August 2010. He was later arrested at Heathrow Airport on an unrelated charge when he tried to re-enter the UK.

Mr Aldhouse lost his initial extradition hearing. Facing a return to Phuket to answer for murder charges, he filed an appeal claiming that conditions in Thai prisons infringed on human rights.

Since then, UK Home Secretary Theresa May’s decision to allow his extradition has been overturned by High Court judges who ruled that Mr Aldhouse’s claims were at least worthy of being heard.

“On May 15 the High Court agreed to a request by Mr Aldhouse’s solicitors to postpone the hearing to enable the legal representatives to obtain further information,” the UK Home Office told the Gazette today.

The Home Office was informed of the court’s decision on May 22.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16085.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-01

I'm suprised the first court ruled that he was to be extradited in the first place.

The UK does not have a death penalty (so first major 'no/no'), any lawyer worth his salt would have played the difference between the justice system in the UK compared to that in thailand etc. etc.!

And before anyone posts rude comments - I'm not necessarily saying this is right, just that I find it odd.

Does anyone know if Is he out on bail or banged up during this process?

I don't know for sure, but I am sure I remember reading he was 'wanted' for offenses (other than this) in the UK.

I don't think for one minute that he is out on bail.

I'm suprised the first court ruled that he was to be extradited in the first place.

The UK does not have a death penalty (so first major 'no/no'), any lawyer worth his salt would have played the difference between the justice system in the UK compared to that in thailand etc. etc.!

And before anyone posts rude comments - I'm not necessarily saying this is right, just that I find it odd.

I guess the first court ruled on the evdience of the alleged crime placed before them, and decided there was enough evidence to warrant extraditon and trial. According to the report, he then filed an appeal citing human rights violations by Thai prison's conditions. Interesting that there is no appeal based on the evidence of the actual crime. He does have the right of appeal and can ultmaltely go to the European Court of Human Rights. Sadly the laws put in place to protect people's rights can sometimes seem unfair on the victims. Hopefully, if proven guilty, he will receive just punishment.

"He filed an appeal claiming that conditions in Thai prisons infringed on human rights."

So, how about the human rights of the guy he stabbed to death??? Send him back to Thailand. he committed the crime there and that's where's got to serve his sentence. That guy is scum anyway. He will fit right in!!!

How is it that they rule based on the conditions of Thai jails when he hasn't yet been convicted and/or sentenced to jail? If there's enough evidence of a crime for him to stand trial, which apparently they say there is, then he should stand trial where he is accused of committing that crime.