UK Inquest Rules Phuket Tourist Electrocution As 'Accidental Death'

webfact

UK inquest rules Phuket tourist electrocution as 'accidental death'

Phuket Gazette – Friday, June 1, 2012 5:32:46 PM

UK.jpeg

OBLIVIOUS: Passers-by walk along Soi Bangla oblivious to the hidden danger that killed the 21-year-old British backpacker Charles Thomas. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

UK1.jpeg

The socket cover remains, seen on the ground directly behind the masseuses, but the power socket within has long been removed. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- A coroner’s inquest conducted in the UK into the death of 21-year-old British tourist Charles Thomas in Phuket has ruled that his electrocution during heavy rain was an “accidental death”.

Mr Thomas was electrocuted in Patong in August last year after placing his hand on the cover of an outdoor power socket fitted into the forecourt paving stones in front of the Ocean Plaza Patong shopping mall on Soi Bangla.

Eyewitness reported that Mr Thomas placed his hand on the ground to support himself as he rose to his feet. He had been sitting with friends, together seeking shelter from heavy rain that night.

The water on the ground had flooded the socket, causing electricity to arc, bypassing the socket entirely and electrocuting Mr Thomas, the inquest was told.

The socket, which was fitted with a circuit breaker a year before the incident, was removed within weeks of Mr Thomas’ death.

After hearing the evidence, South Manchester Deputy Coroner Joanne Kearsley returned a verdict of accidental death, reported UK daily newspaper The Mirror.

“Cases like this are just an absolute tragedy,” Ms Kearsley said. “Charlie was a young man, from a loving family, enjoying his summer break. There is nothing he could have seen or done to know what was going to occur, in just seconds.”

Mr Thomas’ parents, Alison and Anthony Thomas, said their son, who was brother to Elizabeth, 23, and Christopher, 16, loved to travel.

“He was a quiet man who was known for his kindness. He touched the lives of many people and will be missed by all his family and friends,” Mr Thomas said.

A spokesperson at Sheffield Hallam University, where Charlie Thomas was a student, said, “We were very saddened to hear of Charlie's death last year and our thoughts are with his family and friends at this difficult time.”

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16089.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-01

This is normal Thai electrical standard practice, as a retired electrician, i see danger evrywhere in Thailand. So beware!

Even in the houses that we rent and buy. I remember at Xmas I was given a really nasty shock from some faulty christmas tree lights. It was only the quick reactions of my wife that saved me from being seriously hurt as she rushed over and yanked the lights from my grasping hands, although I was left me a nasty burn and scarring on my hand. When I told the homeowner what had happened they said that the electricity should have automatically cut out as there is a circuit breaker in the house. Turns out it was faulty and needed replacing but what if that had happened with a faulty shower unit in the bathroom !!!!

In Thailand, standards are very poor and life is cheap

JAF

This is normal Thai electrical standard practice, as a retired electrician, i see danger evrywhere in Thailand. So beware!

Totally agree with you, there cannot be any wiring standards here in what I have seen. Having renovated 2 houses and a small business I have come across the following: –

– An inbuilt stainless steel cooker with no earth which constantly gave the user a shock.

– Socket outlets purporting to be 3 pin but in fact only having a live and neutral, with no earth. This is particularly dangerous in the kitchen area.

– Water heater units in showers with no earth.

– Wires in the ceiling just twisted together and taped, with no connecting blocks or any other connecting devices.

– An air-conditioner wired directly from the meter on the pole outside of the house, therefore bypassing the distribution board and main breaker.

– Black as live and grey/white as neutral which seems to be standard, however have found this to be reversed in many houses and in some instances where blue, yellow and green are used as either live or neutral depending upon what colour wire is available.

– Absolutely no means of earthing anywhere.

– Circuit breakers in the distribution board bypassed.

– Heavy duty tumble dryers running from the back of a light switch with 1 mm cable feed.

– A 2 pin multi-board used to supply four washing machines, swimming in water and no earth available anywhere. A death trap.

– And two different sorts of multi-board imported into Thailand, one which uses the black as live, and one which uses the white as live. Quite unbelievable.

Could probably fill a page with the others, but these are pretty typical. There is absolutely no way that this young person's life should have ended through sheer negligence and stupidity. Someone should be held accountable.

Totally agree with you, there cannot be any wiring standards here in what I have seen. Having renovated 2 houses and a small business I have come across the following: –

– An inbuilt stainless steel cooker with no earth which constantly gave the user a shock.

– Socket outlets purporting to be 3 pin but in fact only having a live and neutral, with no earth. This is particularly dangerous in the kitchen area.

– Wires in the ceiling just twisted together and taped, with no connecting blocks or any other connecting devices.

– An air-conditioner wired directly from the meter on the pole outside of the house, therefore bypassing the distribution board and main breaker.

– Black as live and grey/white as neutral which seems to be standard, however have found this to be reversed in many houses and in some instances where blue, yellow and green are used as either live or neutral depending upon what colour wire is available.

– Heavy duty tumble dryers running from the back of a light switch with 1 mm cable feed.

– A 2 pin multi-board used to supply four washing machines, swimming in water and no earth available anywhere. A death trap.

– And two different sorts of multi-board imported into Thailand, one which uses the black as live, and one which uses the white as live. Quite unbelievable.

Could probably fill a page with the others, but these are pretty typical. There is absolutely no way that this young person's life should have ended through sheer negligence and stupidity. Someone should be held accountable.

Whilst I agree that electrical safety standards here are a nightmare compared to the West and, this is a tragedy - who precisely would you hold accountable?

Whilst I agree that electrical safety standards here are a nightmare compared to the West and, this is a tragedy - who precisely would you hold accountable?

Hmmm........ let's try any one of a number of folk/departments. Designers; engineers; installers; the local council, to name but a few. Take your pick.