Yacht Club Merger Marks End Of Phuket Sailing Era

webfact

Yacht club merger marks end of Phuket sailing era

Phuket Gazette

sail.jpeg

A child races in the Phuket Dinghy Series of the King's Cup Regatta, held offshore from the Phuket Yacht Club last year. The PYC had a strong tradition of supporting youth sailing. Photo: MarineScene.asia/Phuket King's Cup Regatta

PHUKET: -- After more than two decades as Phuket’s original yacht club, the Phuket Yacht Club today announced that it will be merging with the Ao Chalong Yacht Club (ACYC).

“After careful consideration we, the Phuket Yacht Club committee, have unanimously decided that it is in the best interests of the members to join forces with the Ao Chalong Yacht Club.

“This decision was made taking into consideration the size of our membership, the funds and resources available to us and what on-shore facilities were available to us,” said Phuket Yacht Club Commodore Peter Dyer in an email today.

A critical hurdle in the merger was that the Ao Chalong Yacht Club has ensured it will continue the PYC’s long tradition of junior sailing and will attempt to create a professionally run and organized program.

“Any assistance in this from our present membership would be encouraged,” said My Dyer.

“I know this is not the ideal solution for everybody but working together as one club in Chalong Bay may take the sailing here to a new level and we can all be a part of that development,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16093.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-02

Maybe it's just me; but isn't the header of this "news-item" a total contradiction with regards to what the article's body reveals ? ?

"Yacht club merger marks end of Phuket sailing era" <> "as one club in Chalong Bay may take the sailing here to a new level"

Or is this perhaps a matter of the Prestigious "PYC" lowering itself to become associated with the much less stately "ACYC" . . . . .

Oh dear: this "Face-Saving-Business" in the Thai' culture comes at a substantial price, does it not ?

BTW; that great little picture of the kid sailing the tiny Optimist reminds me of myself. I was not yet 5 years old, when I sailed in exactly the same configuration "by myself". In those days, these little 'bath-tubs' were known as "A-Jol" and I remember that, us kids, had to sand & re-paint/varnish this dam_n thing every winter, when my dad put it on some crates in our garage. Fond memories those ! !