A New Waterhole In Sisaket

fishbone

Yesterday I walked around the town and was surprised. A new place had its opening today. It's called the cuckoo's nest, I found the following discripion on facebook:

The ‘Cuckoo’s Nest’ is another name for a mental institution, making it an appropriate name for a farang bar in Thailand! In Sisaket, we farang have one thing in common: the cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early!

Whether you’re crazy or not, a Farang far from home or a Thai person looking for new experiences, you’re always welcome at The Cuckoo’s Nest Pub & Grub. Sit back, relax, enjoy our delicious home-made food and refreshing cocktails. Straightjackets and thorazine available on request.

Remember our motto: it’s okay to be crazy, just don’t let it drive you nuts!

Beer, Cocktails, Great Food

Thai, Mexican, Italian, International

Located On Walking Street in Sisaket just 250 Meters East of Pompiman Hotel

Edited by fishbone

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ‘Cuckoo’s Nest’ is another name for a mental institution, making it an appropriate name for a farang bar in Thailand! In Sisaket, we farang have one thing in common: the cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early

Whether you’re crazy or not, a Farang far from home or a Thai person looking for new experiences, you’re always welcome at The Cuckoo’s Nest Pub & Grub Straightjackets and thorazine available on request.

Remember our motto: it’s okay to be crazy, just don’t let it drive you nuts!

With all due respects and good luck to the owner considering the amount of raving loons, basket cases, care in the community patients and just outright mad as a shithouse rat nutjobs who seem to gravitate to LOS I wouldn't consider playing on the "we're wacky" element too much.

"Thorazine available on request." A drug used in the treatment of schizophrenia, bi-polar disorders and manic depression.

Table for two near the wondow please and can I see the wine list. biggrin.png

Edited by mca

Any input please regarding the quality of food? Any Schnitzel Vienna style, or other decent food?

Thai Mexican, Italian, International....

Thai- Fried rice with frog legs Mexican- Tacos from Macro. Italian- Chinese noodles sold as Italian spaghetti.

What could international stand for? .International French Fries from France?

I hope they don't use too much Rohypnol in their food to keep the guests quiet.....bah.gif

Sent via bird

Edited by sirchai

Its a Mexican twist there is a facebook group for the place if you search with some pictures, the name I think is just a tongue in cheek to have a a little fun and a theme.

I know the owner a little a jolly American that knows his food. Its a new place open for 4-5 days but expanding the menu almost daily and with only one other Farang place in town there is definitely room for it.

For pizza, stews, pies, sausages, schnitzels and european type of food we have Living in the Past by Frank and Nong

For burgers, Mexican style and so on we have Cuckoo's

Both places and the owners are great and no matter where you go you will get go service and good food, both are worth a visit.

Edited by spacemand
  • Like 2

Its a Mexican twist there is a facebook group for the place if you search with some pictures, the name I think is just a tongue in cheek to have a a little fun and a theme.

I know the owner a little a jolly American that knows his food. Its a new place open for 4-5 days but expanding the menu almost daily and with only one other Farang place in town there is definitely room for it.

For pizza, stews, pies, sausages, schnitzels and european type of food we have Living in the Past by Frank and Nong

Both places and the owners are great and no matter where you go you will get go service and good food, both are worth a visit.

One flew over "cuckoo's nest." coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I know the owner a little a jolly American that knows his food.

Sorry, but do Americans really know what "good" food is? Mexican style American food and burgers..... laugh.png

Sorry, but do Americans really know what "good" food is? Mexican style American food and burgers..... laugh.png

coffee1.gif

• Like 2

So that would be on Thanon Ratchagan Rotfai, the street running parallel to, and south of, the railway line, would it Fishbone?

As a regularish, but mostly day time, visitor to SiSaket (living amphur Kantharalak), Im not familiar with 'Walking Street' (in SiSaket at least) and there's no walking street marked on that English language map of central SiSaket that I came accross a couple of years ago.

PS - while we are on about SiSaket is the zoo still open? Can someone give rough directions, coming from Kantharalak and hitting the southern 'ring road'.

Not quite sure about the directions to the zoo from the ring road Santisuk but I can assure you that it is open. Looks like only quite recently though.

Here is a blurb I found about the zoo on the internet.

"The ‘Cuckoo’s Nest’ is another name for a mental institution, making it an appropriate name for a farang bar in Thailand! In Sisaket, we farang have one thing in common: the cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early!"

Walking street is the street that have the Sunday night market, If you come from Pompiman hotel and walks down the street towards the train station is on your left side.

On the old Sisaket Map its the same location as the old Sisaket Coffee.

The zoo is also on the map its all the way down in the left corner, in the Somdet Phra Sri Nakarin Park.If you come from Kantharalak the turn left on the ring road pass the Aquarium next big intersection with traffic lights turn right, then 300-400 meters straight then turn left at the traffic light and its 200-300 meter down the road on your left side.

• Like 1

An American knows HIS food. American food.

A Thai knows his food. Thai food.

A German knows his food. German food.

I see no problem with that statement. And the problem is?

Good luck to the owner. With shitty attitudes like that one, it only means that happy, nice people will be sitting at his tables! Hurrah!

Did anybody try that food yet? American food hmmmmm... Do they have hot dogs? tongue.png

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Did anybody try that food yet? American food hmmmmm... Do they have hot dogs? tongue.png

Youv'e not been to America I would guess sirchai! Either that or you are peddling a stereotype for effectlaugh.png

• Like 1

Youv'e not been to America I would guess sirchai! Either that or you are peddling a stereotype for effectlaugh.png

I certainly haven't, but instead all the ladies and gentlemen who had to join the Army lived in my country

.I'm still in touch with a few of them, so I do know a lot about their culture.

I just wanted to know if anybody had tried that food yet. Not blaming a bigger country for not having a real identity......

• Like 1

Some great food there - you'd love it. Seafood and steaks to die for. Excellent spuds and salad ingredients. Tasty Mexican food. Interesting Creole cooking. Huge portions of Texas BBQ'd ribs. Gourmet burgers that taste of BBQ and beef. Yum yum, and eating out is half the cost of the UK

A Brit who was astonished when he went to live there 35 years ago. The British dining scene is now excellent too, but mostly at the high end or Indian/other ethnics. America does budget plain cooking fantastically well.

Wish you every success Sawtooth.

Looks like you'll need it. Us locals have been talking around the subject for the best part of 10 days now, but it seems like none of us can get off our backsides and actually try it whistling.gif

Hours please? I'll give it a whirl on my next trip up there if you are open for lunch, though I wouldn't be surprised if you were starting with evenings only

Hours please? I'll give it a whirl on my next trip up there if you are open for lunch, though I wouldn't be surprised if you were starting with evenings only

Hi Brian

As above ..... what hours are you currently opening??

I attended the opening and the meal was excellent ... some Mexican dish the Brian recommended.

OK ..... that's enough --- see you in about 3 hours .. I'm hungry.

Hi Brian

As above ..... what hours are you currently opening??

I attended the opening and the meal was excellent ... some Mexican dish the Brian recommended.

OK ..... that's enough --- see you in about 3 hours .. I'm hungry.

Gotta love TV. Do you teach English in Sisaket?.wub.png

Edited by sirchai

We called it "The Cuckoo's Nest" as just a little tongue in cheek fun about all us Farangs who are cut from a different cloth than our mates who still live three blocks from where they were born.

I can tell you is that my wife and I will do our best to provide a clean, fun, small "pub" where a few of "us" crazy Farangs and our Thai family and friends can have a nice coffee, a cold beer, a cocktail, and a nice meal that you might find difficult to find in this part of Isaan.

I believe we make a great selection of HOMEMADE Mexican food including Chile Verde Burritos, Chile Colorado Burritos, Black Bean & Cheese Burritos, Pork Chimichangas, Chicken Quesadillas, Chicken Nacho Salad, Yucatan Style Salsa, Spicy Black Beans and more to come. We hope to offer Pork Carnitas, Carne Asada, and Beef and Chicken Tacos very soon. But we will not offer it unless we can give you a high quality, reasonably price meal, in a cozy environment that you can afford.

Sirchai, perhaps my use of "International" was inappropriate. We are a small place with an expanding menu. It just seamed like a "catch all category" when I wrote it. I sincerely apologize for offending you so seriously. If your find you way to our restaurant and are not satisfied with the food.....it's on me!

We offer Spaghetti with a very rich thick HOMADE meat sauce. Baguette Pizzas. All American Chicken Salad Hoagies (rolls for the "American" impaired! HaHa). We make a nice Pork Steak marinated in my own marinade. A very nice Marinated Beef Tenderloin Steak (when we can get quality Tenderloin). We hope to offer more very soon.

My Thai wife is an excellent cook with many years of experience making tasty a Thai food. She continues this experience at The Cuckoo's Nest.

We welcome anyone who wants to enjoy themselves and have a pleasant time. Please check bad attitudes at the curb!

Cheers, Brian

Do you have a google map reference for your place for us in Northern Isaan who sometimes pass your way on our road trips?

wai.gifGood evening, all!

Just wanted to say that, having read the previous posts, I'm glad to see such a positive response to a new venture in Sisaket!

The food's delicious, the beer & soft drinks are ice-cold, and the clientele are a multi-national mixture of easy-going and interesting characters! I'd recommend it to anybody of any nationality, be you tourist, teacher or ex-pat! Everyone, both Thai and farang, is made to feel welcome and relaxed by Brian & Aew!

Having said that, if you are offended by simple adjectives, or prejudiced against certain nationalities, you might find the regular customers don't share your views thumbsup.gif

Edited by metisdead
: Please note, default forum font is Arial size 14.

DOH!

I guess it might help if I told you where we are and when we are open!

The Cuckoo's Nest is open 12:00 - 22:00 Friday through Wednesday. Closed Thursdays.

Located just 250 Meters East of Pompiman Hotel, on the street running parallel to, and south of, the railway line,Thanon Ratchagan Rotfai and the corner of Palat Monthon Rd., in Sisaket.

GPS Co-ordinates

N 15.11613

E104.32511

We have a Facebook Group at

http://www.facebook.com/groups/229173180521797/

Cheers, Brian & Aew

I think that he will be very succesfull. Now Pizza Willy is gone and the french guy too. Who will be there for the farangs. Living in the Past ist to far and I believe they will be the next closing down. Sorry.