A New Waterhole In Sisaket

fishbone

Have you tried Peppers David? Smoke free and air con.

Coffee is sort of bitter. I think they should change their beans or get a good blend.

The coffee is organically grown over the border in Laos. A lovely bloke by the name of Alan grows it, picks it, roasts it, packages it and delivers it to Ubon. A lot of his profits go back into building health clinics and schools. All sounds lovely duvely doesn't it? Well the best this is that it is the best coffee that I have ever found. I love it so much that I bring home 10kg of the stuff in my suitcase after every trip to Ubon.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is N'joy reopened? Checked there a while ago, no more British gentleman with his delicious buffet. Only some strange looking and of course overcharging girls. An Archa for 85 baht is a kind of expensive I'd say.........wai.gif

The "British Gentleman" now has a Bar / Restaurant very near the Laithong Hotel called TC Kitchen. He serves Thai and Farang food, excellent homemade Pies and Pasties and a "Kabab Night" on Saturdays (One is not enough!!!)

Good bunch of guys and gals - with the exception of a strange guy who used to live in Phibun tongue.png

Thanks for the useful information. Did you mean one day/week or one Kebab isn't enough? Sorry Kabab.

Hope the strange guy from Phibun isn't a serial killer.........laugh.png

The "strange guy from Phibun" is what I will call a real British Gentleman!! wink.png

One of the best I have to say...

On the Sisaket map Bergen - see Spacemands map posting #14

Maybe soon time for a hash run in Sisaket SantiSuk.........biggrin.png

Yes - that had been in my mind for a few months now. Loads of bamboo bars on the south side of town by the looks of it.

Are any of you SiSaket dwellers likely to be up for a social night out. All you have to do is turn up for a walk (run if you like) and sing a couple of silly songs, drink a few beers then hit the lights (the latter is optional)! Could be August 4th or October 6th.

You can count on Tequila Sunset new in "Sickit" from Pattaya H3, and I'll bring along Ninety-six. We're headed to Phuket for the Hash Bash July 3-7 but will be back for the Hash Run #1 in Sisaket if you let us know when and where the start is, and the ONON ON can be at the CooKoo Nest. ONON Tequila

Quote:

You can count on Tequila Sunset new in "Sickit" from Pattaya H3, and I'll bring along Ninety-six. We're headed to Phuket for the Hash Bash July 3-7 but will be back for the Hash Run #1 in Sisaket if you let us know when and where the start is, and the ONON ON can be at the CooKoo Nest. ONON Tequila

Always good to meet new faces at the Ubon Hash (in Sisaket). OnOn location sounds good too, but keep it a secret! whistling.gif

The hare and GM might have other plans........... biggrin.png

Coffee is sort of bitter. I think they should change their beans or get a good blend.

The coffee is organically grown over the border in Laos. A lovely bloke by the name of Alan grows it, picks it, roasts it, packages it and delivers it to Ubon. A lot of his profits go back into building health clinics and schools. All sounds lovely duvely doesn't it? Well the best this is that it is the best coffee that I have ever found. I love it so much that I bring home 10kg of the stuff in my suitcase after every trip to Ubon.

Where can I buy some of this coffee in Ubon? I thought coffee has to be bitter....w00t.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Where can I buy some of this coffee in Ubon? I thought coffee has to be bitter....w00t.gif

With all due respect David, the coffee at Peppers gets the thumbs up from me .. and my wife, very tasty. I go out of my way to drink there. Although my son pulled a face on taking a mouthful; but there again he is only 10 months old!!

I only drink Espresso with no sugar. Perhaps bitter is not the right word. Sour may be better. I don't like it at all. Of the coffee places that I find Espresso good in Ubon and nearby areas are Spago, Dao in down town Ubon and the Amazon coffee shops at PTT Amnart (road north) and Yasothon (first on right before reaching Yasothon from Ubon). Most other places are hopeless.

I only drink Espresso with no sugar. Perhaps bitter is not the right word. Sour may be better. I don't like it at all. Of the coffee places that I find Espresso good in Ubon and nearby areas are Spago, Dao in down town Ubon and the Amazon coffee shops at PTT Amnart (road north) and Yasothon (first on right before reaching Yasothon from Ubon). Most other places are hopeless.

Yep; agree with all your locations above. The ones on the side of the road are quite,as you politely say, hopeless.

Have you tried Pantae in Warin. Cracking little coffee shop.

Edited by Patriot

Yep; agree with all your locations above. The ones on the side of the road are quite,as you politely say, hopeless.

Don't give away all the secrets. Besides I don't think the girls wear uniforms........... laugh.png

Don't give away all the secrets. Besides I don't think the girls wear uniforms........... laugh.png

But the KFC girls do.........laugh.png

Yes Patriot, I like Pantae very much, especially the garden atmosphere. It was very sad indeed when the young lady owner was killed by a train in Warin 2 years ago when her car stalled on a country crossing early in the morning. The present owner is her sister-in-law. Her brother-in-law runs a horse farm in Warin near Wat Nong Pa Pong. If any readers have children who want to learn to ride horses (more like ponys) take them along for riding lessons.

Almost forgot. I like the coffee at Pantae.

Yes Patriot, I like Pantae very much, especially the garden atmosphere. It was very sad indeed when the young lady owner was killed by a train in Warin 2 years ago when her car stalled on a country crossing early in the morning. The present owner is her sister-in-law. Her brother-in-law runs a horse farm in Warin near Wat Nong Pa Pong. If any readers have children who want to learn to ride horses (more like ponys) take them along for riding lessons.

Almost forgot. I like the coffee at Pantae.

Do they wear fancy uniforms there? coffee1.gif

I was in there today for the first time. The host was really good. I ate a burrito for the first time in my life. I have to say it was ok, but not something that I would rush back for. The menu is very limited. But because other places in Sisaket have closed down, the owner has the chance to cash in on the good food franchise

"Uncle Willies" has gone, and also, the French place. And I can't believe that anyone thinks that the other eating hole, I think it is called Franks, is any good. Years ago I went there before he moved and the food was great, but in the last 6 months I have taken visitors there, and every time he has said sorry we are not serving food, ( and by the way this was only at lunch time), but the place was full of his friends (cronies) eating food. The man is a idiot.

I sincerely hope that the "Cuckoos Nest" succeeds, but I think that he will really have to expand his menu in order to do so. In my opinion, and what do I know, he would have been better looking for a double unit, where he would have had the room to have a bigger kitchen area, so that he would be comfortable in the space, and would be able to provide a very good menu. I doubt he will succeed in the cramped space that he now occupise.

But I do wish him, and his wife, the best of luck in their new venture.

I was in there today for the first time. The host was really good. I ate a burrito for the first time in my life. I have to say it was ok, but not something that I would rush back for. The menu is very limited. But because other places in Sisaket have closed down, the owner has the chance to cash in on the good food franchise

"Uncle Willies" has gone, and also, the French place. And I can't believe that anyone thinks that the other eating hole, I think it is called Franks, is any good. Years ago I went there before he moved and the food was great, but in the last 6 months I have taken visitors there, and every time he has said sorry we are not serving food, ( and by the way this was only at lunch time), but the place was full of his friends (cronies) eating food. The man is a idiot.

I sincerely hope that the "Cuckoos Nest" succeeds, but I think that he will really have to expand his menu in order to do so. In my opinion, and what do I know, he would have been better looking for a double unit, where he would have had the room to have a bigger kitchen area, so that he would be comfortable in the space, and would be able to provide a very good menu. I doubt he will succeed in the cramped space that he now occupise.

I agree with you in certain points. I pretty much doubt that Frank's got many friends. The food- if he's got some- is most of the time not even worth to take a look at. The definition of German food there does not fit......

But that's up to him, he's been here long enough to understand what customers want. Or better said: What they don't want.

I had been at another place where they sold steaks near Kasikam bank. Guess it's Kantharalak road?

. We were alone, this guy, guess he's Swiss couldn't even say hello to us.

One of us had to go to the bathroom, the toilet in the middle of his kitchen and a unlock able door made the desire to empty the digestive system impossible.

I'm very sure that even two or three farlang places would make good money, if.................................coffee1.gif

Thanks for the input and well wishes HellYes.

As to the menu, we have been open 5 weeks and I just printed our third menu revision including a much wider variety of items. I hope you give us another chance to serve you up something you will really enjoy. I have posted a copy of the new menu on our Facebook group page if you are interested.

We feel that our location will be instrumental to our success. Not as loud as most locations, yet very central and right on the Sunday Market Street. A double wide would have been nice, but we do not feel it could be financially supported right now. Hopefully we will be successful enough to expand soon. Our kitchen expansion and remodel is coming in the very near future.

Cheers, Brian & Aew

Edited by Sawtooth

Hi Brian, thanks for your reply.Just one last suggestion, invest in a kettle mate, to make a good cup of tea, you need boiling water, and those things the thais use just don't boil.

Lostinisaan, I also think that 2 or 3 farang places could survive. And if you think about it, where the french place is(or was) is an ideal position. It's central Sisaket, with parking nearby. But for me it needs to be more of a pub/restaurant, rather than just an eating place. It has a great kitchen, well able to cope if it got busy, and great space. It just needs the tables and chairs changing, a proper big screen tv, for sports or whatever people want to see, a couple of sofas for those who just want to relax, and most of all someone able to communicate with the customers.

The one big drawback would be the rent, as Brian at the cuckoo's nest was telling me it is about 25,000 a month. And also what they would want for the equipment. If you could negotiate a cheaper rent for 6 or 12 months, so that you were able to get things going, there would be a chance of success. Ideally I suppose would be if the girl is still there, she would take in a partner and they tried it together. Anyway just my thoughts.

PS Brian will be back soon mate, no complaints about the food mate, both myself and my friend enjoyed it.

Edited by hellyes2oo2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Si-Saketers,

Following the advice on this thread my brother and I seeked out this venue last night. The burritos were good and we found the friendly bunch really welcoming. I heartily recommend it. Thanks Brian and Aew!

Cheers

Dee

Edited by Krupnik
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Brian, thanks for your reply.Just one last suggestion, invest in a kettle mate, to make a good cup of tea, you need boiling water, and those things the thais use just don't boil.

Lostinisaan, I also think that 2 or 3 farang places could survive. And if you think about it, where the french place is(or was) is an ideal position. It's central Sisaket, with parking nearby. But for me it needs to be more of a pub/restaurant, rather than just an eating place. It has a great kitchen, well able to cope if it got busy, and great space. It just needs the tables and chairs changing, a proper big screen tv, for sports or whatever people want to see, a couple of sofas for those who just want to relax, and most of all someone able to communicate with the customers.

The one big drawback would be the rent, as Brian at the cuckoo's nest was telling me it is about 25,000 a month. And also what they would want for the equipment. If you could negotiate a cheaper rent for 6 or 12 months, so that you were able to get things going, there would be a chance of success. Ideally I suppose would be if the girl is still there, she would take in a partner and they tried it together. Anyway just my thoughts.

PS Brian will be back soon mate, no complaints about the food mate, both myself and my friend enjoyed it.

My Bad,

Us Yanks are so dam_n uncivilized. Ever since we tossed all that tea in the Boston Bay we've been hopeless! I will make sure the water is piping hot next time! Thanks for the advice

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you in certain points. I pretty much doubt that Frank's got many friends. The food- if he's got some- is most of the time not even worth to take a look at. The definition of German food there does not fit......

But that's up to him, he's been here long enough to understand what customers want. Or better said: What they don't want.

I had been at another place where they sold steaks near Kasikam bank. Guess it's Kantharalak road?

One of us had to go to the bathroom, the toilet in the middle of his kitchen and a unlock able door made the desire to empty the digestive system impossible.

I'm very sure that even two or three farlang places would make good money, if.................................coffee1.gif

This guy is from Frankfurt.

Frank has nothing in common with East-Germans. He never made a lot of german food. The only german meals he is doing is schnitzel (great) , german bratwurst (nothing wrong) the last 2 month he starte with peasoup but thats all the rest of his food are pizza,pies, a great chilli con carne, a fantastic stew and sandwiches or rolls. He is not doing art cuisine, if you wont this you are better in Bangkok or other places. If you check google images about frank's german dishes. I can't see any different.

His toilet is not in the middle of the kitchen he cooks outside. The door I agree he must find a solution but also before he had a lock and some kids locked themselfs .

And by the way I think that he has many friends he helped a lot of people and allways he had been listen to their problems.

Just sometimes he is in a funny mood but who not. He runs a one man show and for this he doing well.

Edited by fishbone
  • Like 2

Frank has nothing in common with East-Germans. He never made a lot of german food. The only german meals he is doing is schnitzel (great) , german bratwurst (nothing wrong) the last 2 month he starte with peasoup but thats all the rest of his food are pizza,pies, a great chilli con carne, a fantastic stew and sandwiches or rolls. He is not doing art cuisine, if you wont this you are better in Bangkok or other places. If you check google images about frank's german dishes. I can't see any different.

His toilet is not in the middle of the kitchen he cooks outside. The door I agree he must find a solution but also before he had a lock and some kids locked themselfs .

And by the way I think that he has many friends he helped a lot of people and allways he had been listen to their problems.

Just sometimes he is in a funny mood but who not. He runs a one man show and for this he doing well.

I agree with you 100 %. I been there few times and he has allways been a very good host, as you said , he is doing most of the shit alone, because his wife ( Nong ) is looking after their granddaughter. He trie a lot and also I know that he has many friens, I mean real friends. in Sisaket. Brian and him are good mates too. I do not like it when people slagging other guys who are nice. Frank with his advices saved some good bucks.

Does anybody know that there’s also a Frankfurt in East Germoney?

How do you now that he’s got nothing to do with East Germans? He never made a lot of food sounds funny in my eyes. Try a “Schnitzel” my wife’s cooking.

People who like Bratwurst should try the Nuernberger version, available at Tesco’s TGM place in Ubon. Not different to the German version.

Peesoup isn’t really a German dish, to be honest. Personally, I don’t like Bangkok, because it’s so polluted.

His almost cheese less Pizzas would make Italians cry. I don’t understand why he’s got to make his food outside of the kitchen. I googled and googled but couldn’t find images,

Are the kids still locked in the bathroom? I’m very sorry to hear that. Hope they’ll be rescued soon.

Guess you meant being drunk with funny mood? Hope he’s getting well soon.

I’ve googled and actually found a photo. Hope it's not from his outdoor kitchen. Auf Wienerschnitzel..............

post-158336-0-87368700-1345301567_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

How do you now that he’s got nothing to do with East Germans? He never made a lot of food sounds funny in my eyes. Try a “Schnitzel” my wife’s cooking.

People who like Bratwurst should try the Nuernberger version, available at Tesco’s TGM place in Ubon. Not different to the German version.

Peesoup isn’t really a German dish, to be honest. Personally, I don’t like Bangkok, because it’s so polluted.

His almost cheese less Pizzas would make Italians cry. I don’t understand why he’s got to make his food outside of the kitchen. I googled and googled but couldn’t find images,

Are the kids still locked in the bathroom? I’m very sorry to hear that. Hope they’ll be rescued soon.

I’ve googled and actually found a photo. Hope it's not from his outdoor kitchen. Auf Wienerschnitzel..............

Be happy with your wife about the schnitzel , idoubt. His pizza has more cheese then you think. May you are spoiled by pizza hut. And if you have no idea Frank is from Westgermany (not geremony) If you call people stupid watch YOUR SPELLING or be stupid by youself. I know that he helped many people. Better is you just stop whine around, tha'ts Sisaket and not a touristshowered area. For you google around just put in schnitzel and all the other dishes. Be happy whining. I'm happy that he is here have you done any good thing here before fore other people. Just shut up. For your personal insults you shouldt be banned.

By the way about Frankfurt , the guy close to Kasikorn Bank, he is from Frankfurt/Main . I hope you know where is the Main-River. Stu... Cun. !

Edited by bushmill

If you don't know the diiferent between Nuernberger and Bratwurst, sorry how stupid you are. It wouldt be the besr for all western places that you not turn up. Before you complain and have so many ideas, why not try do doe it all by your self. Go around and ask people about him before you talk.

• Like 1

I agree with fishbone. It seems you like complaining, one of the typicall guys here, whining about everything. It seem for me to that the whole is escalating. If you don't like his place or german, just stay away. Never call anybody in idiot except yourself. When I'm in Sisaket I allways pleased with his food.

Look the Schnitzel on the picture and at Frank's you get it.http://media.tripsbytips.de/img/users/10224037/480x424/schnitzel-wiener-art-mit-pommes-10388466.jpg.

Go around and ask people , very few will agree with you .

You get mixed up. The guy near the bank is from Frankfurt/main and not a Swiss and he gets fixed to Thaicustomers.

"Be happy with your wife about the schnitzel , idoubt. His pizza has more cheese then you think. May you are spoiled by pizza hut. And if you have no idea Frank is from Westgermany (not geremony) If you call people stupid watch YOUR SPELLING or be stupid by youself

Just shut up. For your personal insults you shouldt be banned. By the way about Frankfurt , the guy close to Kasikorn Bank, he is from Frankfurt/Main . I hope you know where is the Main-River. Stu... Cun. ! "

# 2

I agree with fishbone. It seems you like complaining, one of the typicall guys here, whining about everything. It seem for me to that the whole is escalating. If you don't like his place or german, just stay away

I can't believe that people on this forum are so dead serious about some- obviously- jokes. Seems that there're more people from Germoney with a smaller Bratwurst than others have. Peesoup's also a good one.....biggrin.png

Who cares if the guy near Kasikam bank's from Frankfurt Oder, or Main? Some guys here should get banned forever for not having the sense of humor......wai.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Personal attacks like this say more about the poster than the target. LostitinIsaan would be a more appropriate avatar.

I have no longstanding personal friendships to influence my view that both the German bar owners in SiSaket (Sisaket Meuang and Kantharalak) do a great job in helping bring together the international falang community in the province.

If you think you can do better Lost, then go ahead and open your own. We'll all give you a fair shot at it (and no that last bit wasn't meant to be sardonic).

Personal attacks like this say more about the poster than the target. LostitinIsaan would be a more appropriate avatar.

I have no longstanding personal friendships to influence my view that both the German bar owners in SiSaket (Sisaket Meuang and Kantharalak) do a great job in helping bring together the international falang community in the province.

If you think you can do better Lost, then go ahead and open your own. We'll all give you a fair shot at it (and no that last bit wasn't meant to be sardonic).

Isn't life already serious enough? The story is about an American restaurant in Sisaket, right? Details about a Swiss/German guy running a toilet in the middle of his kitchen and kids who're locked in toilets, make me cry. (Hamster died laughing already, even my wife can't stop)

Is it my fault that I've got a bigger Bratwurst than others do? Did I lock the kids in the toilet? I never liked Peesoup in my life. But one thing is for sure. If people don't understand what sarcasm is, they shouldn't be here.

Need to go and send an Email to Germoney now. For those who wrote some nasty words, let's meet behind Frank's restaurant at 3 pm to discuss the difference between a Nuernberger and an ordinary Bratwurst.

<deleted> cares if somebody's from East or West Germoney? Weird people come from all corners of this world.

Auf Wienerschnitzel!!!!