European Championships

bangkokrick

I thought Spain looked lethargic in their passing last night.It was a vastly improved Italy performance from their last friendly at home to Russia.They were dire in that match.They showed a lot of energy,closing down and tackling back.I even saw Pirlo put in a few challenges,which is an oddity in itself.

Del Bosque,in my opinion,took far too long to change things.The midgets up front were faced with a packed defence which didn't allow them to thread the ball through the eye of the proverbial needle.It needed Llorente or Torres to be introduced to add a bit of physical presence and work the Italian defensive line.Torres came on for the last 15 minutes and could have had two goals in that time,both gilt edged and should have been put away.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought spain just went safety first and looked to not lose their opening match. they remember losing the opener at world cup 2010 pretty well still and they are still nervy when playing italy. there's a lot more to come from them.

Euro 2012 stewards attacked inside stadium

Fears over violence at Euro 2012 were borne out when stewards inside Wroclaw's Stadion Miejski were attacked by fans inside the ground.

Just what we don't need. It was a very good game too.

Seems there was plenty of violence before the Russia Poland match tonight, news reports say over 100 arrests and plenty of police injured. What happened during and after the match I have not seen any reports yet but I'll hazard a guess that there's more to come.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Holy narrow minded person

Because one person or one group is racist or aledged to be racist

does not mean the whole country is racist.

IMO opinion there are racist people in every country in the world so

where should they hod the EUROS / World Cups

You saying there are no racists in Germany? South Africa? ...

Get a fricken grip ...

The racist groups are using football matches as a platform and nothing is being done about it. There will be a huge influx of foreign supporters at these football matches which will surely end with problems.

I did not mention racism in other Countries because it is not relevant to this thread.

I suggest that you get a grip on reality.

Almost everything can be used as a platform t advance an agenda

I think Panorama over cooked the true amount of issues and made a

meal out of it for ratings.

I am sure the people running security in Ukr and Pol. are well aware of

any issues that might arise and know who the core of the trouble makers

are and have plans in place

IMO there will be no issues and everything has been blown out of proportion.

Ever since the UK cracked down on hooligans traveling during big tournaments

there has been little to no issues at major events.

Seems Your totally wrong. Have you seen any news reports yet. I have.

Google

violence in warsaw before Russia Poland match.

Edited by MB1

I watched this last week on the BBC and it followed with an interview with representatives from the Ukranian and Polish Embassy's (I think they were Ambassador's). They were extremely angry over the one sided view of the documentary and pointed out that this was not the norm. They both even "guaranteed"the safety of the fans. Time will tell but let's hope they are right.

I hope their going to pay the hospital bills of innocents who were injured tonight.

From the news report I watched it seemed to be the Polish who started it and it seemed to be organised.

Apparently is was 'Russia day' and they were allowed to march through the city in celebration. Red rag to a bull! The Poles reacted to this in a violent manner which is pretty much expected. Sad day and there will be more to come IMHO.

UEFA have deducted 6 points from Russia - a suspended pennalty to be taken into account at the start of the next competition. Because their fans threw flares and fought in and out of the stadium.

Initially I thought - cop-out - why not hit them where it hurts right now and award the match to Poland or deduct 3 points.

On reflection - smart move - keep the momentum of the tournament going - no distractions from massive Russian outrage, but most importantly give the Russian soccer federation 2 years plus to stew over their country's sins and with a pointed reminder every time they play in the next qualifiers.

Perhaps there is precedent for doing it this way. If not it has certainly set one.

UEFA have deducted 6 points from Russia - a suspended pennalty to be taken into account at the start of the next competition. Because their fans threw flares and fought in and out of the stadium.

Initially I thought - cop-out - why not hit them where it hurts right now and award the match to Poland or deduct 3 points.

On reflection - smart move - keep the momentum of the tournament going - no distractions from massive Russian outrage, but most importantly give the Russian soccer federation 2 years plus to stew over their country's sins and with a pointed reminder every time they play in the next qualifiers.

Perhaps there is precedent for doing it this way. If not it has certainly set one.

If this was England fans we would be sent home, double standards maybe something to do with a future world cup in Russia.

• Like 1

Goes without saying that Egland would have been kicked harder, Nev. But English football is aggressive and arrogant as far as continentals are concerned (they are mostly right). Our harsher treatment is partly self-inflicted.

If this was England fans we would be sent home, double standards maybe something to do with a future world cup in Russia.

Was going to post somethong similar UEFA are once again a disgrace. Maybe their scared of Putin and a poison pen.

Was going to post somethong similar UEFA are once again a disgrace. Maybe their scared of Putin and a poison pen.

More questions should be asked of the Polish authorities for thinking that it was ok to let the russians march through warsaw. Red rag to a bull. Ridiculous decision and was asking for trouble

The odd bit of violence and the location of the tournament being pretty inhospitable is a bit of a side show if you ask me.

The tournament itself has been excellent so far and so has the football. Far better, if you ask me, than the World Cup. Admittedly I think it has helped a bit being an England supporter with relatively low expectations as it has meant I have generally taken more of an interest in the other teams.

The sad thing about this is that the Russian team is playing very well. It would be a tragedy if they were sent home early. Both for them and also we fans who are enjoying their football skills.

They won't be sent home regardless. Its all part of Sepp and Michel's grand scheme to promote racism in football! You award tournaments to the counties where violence and racism in football is rife biggrin.png

Edited by carmine

Nah - I've seen many characters like him before up close. Once you've got your castle on the Rhine it's purely about power, TV coverage, dynasty and your wine cellar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep8TeLO4NRI&feature=player_embedded#

!

One for Stevie and all those who moan they can't stomach the way the English are so full of themselves.

They actually break into song after 3 minutes.

get with the bitters and their programme rix. Such celebrations are allowed, remember there are not english. biggrin.png

I think i'd rather watch a game in silence than be subjected to that retarded <deleted>.

get with the bitters and their programme rix. Such celebrations are allowed, remember there are not english. biggrin.png

I think i'd rather watch a game in silence than be subjected to that retarded <deleted>.

Take a peek through the window of any of the other top nations involved in the competition, be it England, be it Spain, be it France, be it Italy, be it Germany, be it whoever, and you'll find plenty of this bigging it up, flag waving, full of ourselves, crap like this. Does the fact that teams like Spain are currently successful whereas England is not, make it any less tasteless and tacky? Not for me.

I think some people need to consider the reason why the England team, the England supporters, the English media, gets up their noses so much and why they take pleasure from England failing. It isn't because England as a football nation is really any different from any other nation in the way it behaves, it is because of a much deeper rooted and a much more fundamental dislike of the nation in general. And that is fine to dislike a nation, even if it happens to be your own, but problems arise when those feelings cross over into racism.

Take a peek through the window of any of the other top nations involved in the competition, be it England, be it Spain, be it France, be it Italy, be it Germany, be it whoever, and you'll find plenty of this bigging it up, flag waving, full of ourselves, crap like this. Does the fact that teams like Spain are currently successful whereas England is not, make it any less tasteless and tacky? Not for me.

I think some people need to consider the reason why the England team, the England supporters, the English media, gets up their noses so much and why they take pleasure from England failing. It isn't because England as a football nation is really any different from any other nation in the way it behaves, it is because of a much deeper rooted and a much more fundamental dislike of the nation in general. And that is fine to dislike a nation, even if it happens to be your own, but problems arise when those feelings cross over into racism.

Strange but why would anyone who dislikes a nation, constantly put its team and supporters down, yet follows and supports an english club. This is what i can't understand and i've seen this situation time and time again. Its so hypocritical. If you don't like england, the english or simply the english blood in you then support a team from another country. How simple is that?

On a separate issue it would be nice to see the irish finish on a high and beat Italy.

Edited by carmine

Strange but why would anyone who dislikes a nation, constantly put its team and supporters down, yet follows and supports an english club.

I agree it is bizarre. I think the way in which they manage to juggle these two conflicting contradictory emotions is to tell themselves that their club and the area around their club is on some sort of island of its own, separate from the rest of England, and that the club belongs (in an emotional sense, not physical) solely to the people of that area, not to the rest of England. What makes that belief even more bizarre is the fact that many people sharing it, don't even hail from within the area of their club themselves.

Strange but why would anyone who dislikes a nation, constantly put its team and supporters down, yet follows and supports an english club.

I agree it is bizarre. I think the way in which they manage to juggle these two conflicting contradictory emotions is to tell themselves that their club and the area around their club is on some sort of island of its own, separate from the rest of England, and that the club belongs (in an emotional sense, not physical) solely to the people of that area, not to the rest of England. What makes that belief even more bizarre is the fact that many people sharing it, don't even hail from within the area of their club themselves.

I think and i know you hit the nail on the head! Its rather funny really. biggrin.png

I think that this song shows the mixed emotions of us England fans. We really wan to do well, but..........

It's coming home

It's coming home

It's coming

Football's coming home

(x4)

Everyone seems to know the score

They've seen it all before

They just know

They're so sure

That England's gonna

Throw it away

Gonna blow it away

But I know they can play

Cos' I remember

Three lions on the shirt

Jules Rimet still gleaming

30 Years of hurt

Never stoppped me dreaming

So many jokes, so many jeers

But all those oh so nears

Wear you down

Through the years

But I still see that

Tackle by Moore

And when Lineker scored

Bobby belting the ball

And nobby dancing

Three lions on a shirt

Jules rimet still gleaming

30 Years of hurt

Never stopped me dreaming

I know that was then

But it could be again

It's coming home

It's coming home

It's coming

Football's coming home

(x4)

Three lions on a shirt

Jules rimet still gleaming

30 Years of hurt

Never stopped me dreaming

(repeat to fade)

Strange but why would anyone who dislikes a nation, constantly put its team and supporters down, yet follows and supports an english club. This is what i can't understand and i've seen this situation time and time again. Its so hypocritical. If you don't like england, the english or simply the english blood in you then support a team from another country. How simple is that?

because it's possible to be born somewhere and be from somewhere and feel a tribal affinity with a town, city or region without necessarily identifying with the rest of the country. because patriotism often brings out the worst in people. because people from yorkshire have little to nothing in common with people from surrey other than living under the same imposed flag and borders. i don't think it's hypocritical at all.

because it's possible to be born somewhere and be from somewhere and feel a tribal affinity with a town, city or region without necessarily identifying with the rest of the country. because patriotism often brings out the worst in people. because people from yorkshire have little to nothing in common with people from surrey other than living under the same imposed flag and borders. i don't think it's hypocritical at all.

Your attitude strikes me as being similar to inverted snobbery.

England and English-ness, is as much a part of what makes Yorkshire the place it is, as Yorkshire and Yorkshire-ness is a part of what makes England the country it is.

I think its peculiar. Read post#83 Sums it up well. Regardless its no big issue with me i just can't fathom why for example such a persom wouldn't say support Co Wicklow or Arbroath or Neath lest a wicked English club perish the thought

Your attitude strikes me as being similar to inverted snobbery.

England and English-ness, is as much a part of what makes Yorkshire the place it is, as Yorkshire and Yorkshire-ness is a part of what makes England the country it is.

I agree Rix. I am actually from Yorkshire and therefore a Yorkshireman, but foremost and Englishman who is proud of his Country. I think that pulling down one's Country and all that sail in her is very much and English thing, but when push comes to shove we unite. Lets get behind our team tonight and hope that we beat the Turnips.

• Like 1